Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Champagne Football

Would Erik be a good option to replace Ole? 433 attack-minded philosophy, attractive football, ready for the next step?
The last time Ajax produced a manager who had a decent club career elsewhere was Ronald Koeman in 2005. They've been through 12 managers since. Names such as Henk Ten Cate, Danny Blind, Martin Jol, Frank de Boer.

When you look how much Frenkie de Jong, Matthijis de ligt and Donny Van de Beek have struggled since moving on to bigger things, then you could argue that perhaps what works really well at Ajax, may not work elsewhere. They have their very specific way of doing things there, and it often doesn't translate elsewhere.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Isn't he a possession oriented manager? Donny would be an automatic starter. Apart from that I have no idea how it will turn out. His Ajax team were quite good on the ball.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Isn't he a possession oriented manager? Donny would be an automatic starter. Apart from that I have no idea how it will turn out. His Ajax team were quite good on the ball.
He was in charge of Bayern’s second team when Pep was there. They work together and ten Haag often praised Pep so expect a similar approach and goal

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The last time Ajax produced a manager who had a decent club career elsewhere was Ronald Koeman in 2005. They've been through 12 managers since. Names such as Henk Ten Cate, Danny Blind, Martin Jol, Frank de Boer.

When you look how much Frenkie de Jong, Matthijis de ligt and Donny Van de Beek have struggled since moving on to bigger things, then you could argue that perhaps what works really well at Ajax, may not work elsewhere. They have their very specific way of doing things there, and it often doesn't translate elsewhere.
Is De ligt really struggling? he is only 21 still quite young for a CB. DVB hasn't really been given a proper chance to be fair, I could honestly see him in a Barca team doing well.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
When you look how much Frenkie de Jong, Matthijis de ligt and Donny Van de Beek have struggled since moving on to bigger things, then you could argue that perhaps what works really well at Ajax, may not work elsewhere.
Or it means Ten Haag knows how to implement a system that gets the best from the players he has?

Champagne Football

Is De ligt really struggling? he is only 21 still quite young for a CB. DVB hasn't really been given a proper chance to be fair, I could honestly see him in a Barca team doing well.
True. The 3 players I mentioned are top top class no doubt about it. But Ziyech has been struggling a lot at Chelsea, Daley Blind was Ajax player of the year and looked out of his depth in the PL.

Anyways Ten Hag absolutely could be the next big thing in football, nobody can ever predict where the next great manager will emerge from, but right now the RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig models seem to be churning out modern thinking attack minded coaches who tend to do well elsewhere. Ten Hag might end up being an eventual successor to Pep at City having learned his trade with Pep, and probably sharing a very similar philosophy. I don't think that type of style suits Utd, I think we do better with electric wingers and grafters all over the pitch, more similar to Klopps style at Liverpool.

Hoof the ball

Frenkie is doing splendidly this season for Barça. One of their outstanding players, especially since the switch to 433.

UnofficialDevil

True. The 3 players I mentioned are top top class no doubt about it. But Ziyech has been struggling a lot at Chelsea, Daley Blind was Ajax player of the year and looked out of his depth in the PL.

Anyways Ten Hag absolutely could be the next big thing in football, nobody can ever predict where the next great manager will emerge from, but right now the RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig models seem to be churning out modern thinking attack minded coaches who tend to do well elsewhere. Ten Hag might end up being an eventual successor to Pep at City having learned his trade with Pep, and probably sharing a very similar philosophy. I don't think that type of style suits Utd, I think we do better with electric wingers and grafters all over the pitch, more similar to Klopps style at Liverpool.
I haven't watched a lot of Ajax games, but this article seems to imply that he actually does like his wingers?

"With an attack-minded philosophy, Ajax under ten Hag have consistently played some of the most attractive football in the world during his tenure. Using the trademark Ajax 4-3-3 formation, ten Hag pushes for a free-flowing attack, exploiting the opposition with pace from his wingers and an advanced midfielder, while utilising the skill and awareness of two deeper midfielders, who control the tempo of each match and connect the attack with the defence"

L1nk

It would be another transition
Why? Why? Why? Why is it always us thats going through a transition that requires another 3 years minimum and loads of money spent, nobody is saying its a transition when Chelsea got rid of Frank for Tuchel, it wasn’t a transition when Ancelotti came to Everton, when Flick joined Bayern as assistant and became main manager months later it wasn’t a transition

Why is everyone here convinced we always have to go through a lengthy transition period everytime we get a new manager, please enlighten me.

Just get a good manager that excites the fans and can get us competing without needing 5 years and 500 million spent, and if it doesnt work, sack em and get another one, this is football

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

In general, you're correct of course: Ajax have a very specific and well-defined style, so a player who does well there won't necessarily be able to slot in everywhere else and maintain that level - VdB being a great current example.

But De Jong is doing very well at Barca, and De Ligt is bossing things at Juve. (There was a link somewhere on the Caf to a Juve forum discussion, where they were calling him world class, one of the best around right now. Even if that's hyperbole, it clearly means he's doing well over there.)

Champagne Football

Frenkie is doing splendidly this season for Barça. One of their outstanding players, especially since the switch to 433.
True but some were writing him off as a flop after his first season. Same goes for De Ligt. That bodes very well for Donny Van de Beek who we will hopefully see the best of next season.

Champagne Football

Not with Ole as manager
Ole has done brilliantly to get the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Fred and Lindelof who were all practically deadwood when he arrived.
It takes a season usually to get up to speed with the Premier league, and Donny might be ready for big things next season.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Would Erik be a good option to replace Ole? 433 attack-minded philosophy, attractive football, ready for the next step?
Yes but only if United are willing to be patient with the teething problems that would come with the style he'd look to implement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

God knows what Maguire and Lindelof are doing then. Daley Blind was our starting CB the last time we won two(!) trophies in a single season.

UnofficialDevil

Interesting article

Ajax Manager Erik ten Hag is Ready for the Next Step

https://lastwordonsports.com/footba...ager-erik-ten-hag-is-ready-for-the-next-step/

"With an attack-minded philosophy, Ajax under ten Hag have consistently played some of the most attractive football in the world during his tenure. Using the trademark Ajax 4-3-3 formation, ten Hag pushes for a free-flowing attack, exploiting the opposition with pace from his wingers and an advanced midfielder, while utilising the skill and awareness of two deeper midfielders, who control the tempo of each match and connect the attack with the defence "

"Οut of 147 matches, the Dutch giants have won 107, drawn 18 and lost only 22. His points-per-match is a staggering 2.31. His teams have scored an abundance of goals – a total of 404 since the 2017/18 season. In 2018/19, Ajax scored 119 goals, just three behind the all-time league record set by Ajax in 1966/67. "

RashyForPM

They haven’t. De Jong is excellent and dictating games while being an attacking threat in a more advanced position at Barcelona now, while De Ligt has found his feet for a while now after a slow start in a better league. Only Donny is struggling, and that can be put down to not feeling the trust of Ole and a lack of match fitness from playing 1 in every 7 games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They haven’t. De Jong is excellent and dictating games while being an attacking threat in a more advanced position at Barcelona now, while De Ligt has found his feet for a while now after a slow start in a better league. Only Donny is struggling, and that can be put down to not feeling the trust of Ole and a lack of match fitness from playing 1 in every 7 games.
What’s Donny done to earn trust? Each time he’s played he’s looked largely anonymous. You take your opportunity when they arise and he really hasn’t even shown in small moments what were missing. It’s turning out to be a terrible signing

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
IMO the best option out there should anything go south with Ole

RashyForPM

What’s Donny done to earn trust? Each time he’s played he’s looked largely anonymous. You take your opportunity when they arise and he really hasn’t even shown in small moments what were missing. It’s turning out to be a terrible signing
1) I never said he should have the manager’s trust, as that would mean dropping McT or Bruno, two of our best performers this season.

2) It’s not fair to expect him to rip it up when he plays 1 in every 7 games or so, generally around our B team. Even on FM21 you would struggle to get players playing well in those circumstances.

UnofficialDevil

Ole has done brilliantly to get the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Fred and Lindelof who were all practically deadwood when he arrived.
It takes a season usually to get up to speed with the Premier league, and Donny might be ready for big things next season.
Rashford was never deadwood, Shaw was brilliant before braking his leg, and Fred and Lindelof are no better or worse. But AWB Maquire Greenwood have not got better under Ole, they have regressed.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Nagglesman, Ten Hag, maybe Biesla and maybe Hassenhuttle (although he is having a torrid time of late.)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
no manager gets ‘the best’ out of every player in a squad.
Yeah, ok. So? You know exactly what was meant so I don't see the point of your comment.

Ten Haag had a system to get the best out of players who have gone on to leave and not quite hit the same heights, even though you could argue they've moved to 'better' teams.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I like bald managers.

During the CL run they had he played a 4-2-3-1.
In Dutch football "philosophy" ( :lol: I keep reading that in a LVG voice) 4-2-3-1 is just a variation of 4-3-3. The former is called 4-3-3 "with the point forward" and the latter "with the point backwards", referring to the single pivot. Dutch teams have an easy time transitioning between the two because of the players' football education.

I always found the traditional 4-3-3 with 1 holding mid more exciting to watch. The Dutch NT became a lot less exciting when they started playing 4-2-3-1 in 2010.

I'm obviously biased, but I think F. De Jong is world class and De Ligt is close. I'm not sure Frenkie is debatable anymore after he started adding goals to his play.

De Ligt had a rough start and looked very out of place when he was LCB. He was benched for a while after returning from injury but I think a lot of that has to do with his status compared to veteran serial winners Chiellini and Bonucci. Juve has looked better recently with De Ligt in the mix, that's for sure.

Ziyech and Van de Beek have some obvious weaknesses. All the more credit to Ten Hag for getting the most out of them.

Rashford was never deadwood, Shaw was brilliant before braking his leg, and Fred and Lindelof are no better or worse. But AWB Maquire Greenwood have not got better under Ole, they have regressed.
Shaw had a great start, but I wouldn't say he was brilliant. He was a headless chicken going forward and was very rash in general as I recall it.

Champagne Football

God knows what Maguire and Lindelof are doing then. Daley Blind was our starting CB the last time we won two(!) trophies in a single season.
We'll agree to disagree. I thought he looked miles out of his depth. Too slow and not imposing enough. An amazingly gifted footballer technically but like Juan Mata doesn't have the pace and power for the PL.

Anyways Arteta is another Pep student, and he has flattered to deceive at Arsenal. It would be way too early to consider Ten Hag. He should first go to Southampton for a few seasons if Hassenhuttle ever leaves.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We'll agree to disagree. I thought he looked miles out of his depth. Too slow and not imposing enough. An amazingly gifted footballer technically but like Juan Mata doesn't have the pace and power for the PL.

Anyways Arteta is another Pep student, and he has flattered to deceive at Arsenal. It would be way too early to consider Ten Hag. He should first go to Southampton for a few seasons if Hassenhuttle ever leaves.
Don't you think from Ajax to Southampton would be a step back? I'd say the EPL or BL subtop makes more sense, something like Everton or Dortmund (despite Bosz) or Leipzig. But there are various clubs that take more risk with managers that might consider him as well, like Leicester (whom I'd consider ahead of Everton) and also Bayern Munich. Maybe even Liverpool, as Ten Hag's profile could be compared to Rodgers' back then - but Liverpool would probably aim higher now than they did when they hired him.

Champagne Football

Don't you think from Ajax to Southampton would be a step back? I'd say the EPL or BL subtop makes more sense, something like Everton or Dortmund (despite Bosz) or Leipzig. But there are various clubs that take more risk with managers that might consider him as well, like Leicester (whom I'd consider ahead of Everton) and also Bayern Munich. Maybe even Liverpool, as Ten Hag's profile could be compared to Rodgers' back then - but Liverpool would probably aim higher now than they did when they hired him.
Koeman went to Southampton after some stints in Holland, before moving on to bigger things.

Frank De Boer only had one season at Inter after managing Ajax, and he was a total disaster at Crystal Palace, so no I don't think Southampton would be a step back at all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Koeman went to Southampton after some stints in Holland, before moving on to bigger things.

Frank De Boer only had one season at Inter after managing Ajax, and he was a total disaster at Crystal Palace, so no I don't think Southampton would be a step back at all.
Neither had quite the same status when they left the Netherlands though, and Southampton's stock was a lot higher when Koeman joined them.

Sjaakmeoff

The PL isn't the best and won't be the next league for Ten Hag. 99% sure he will go to Germany.

But i have to say some of the posts about him and players he worked with are hilarious.

Frenkie is one of the most used and most important players at Barca atm.
De Ligt is getting nothing but praise at Juve.

Yes, the had to adjust to another club, another league and most important another way of playing. Not that strange isn't it?

Ziyech was great until he got injured. He will bounce back and will be very important for Chelsea. Just needs two good games and he will be and stay in form.

I think VdB made the wrong choice by going to Man Utd. He really is a great player if you use him the right way. And that's not the way United play. That's doesn't make United a bad coached club or VdB a bad player. Just the wrong player at the wrong club.