Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Infra-red

The PL isn't the best and won't be the next league for Ten Hag. 99% sure he will go to Germany.

But i have to say some of the posts about him and players he worked with are hilarious.

Frenkie is one of the most used and most important players at Barca atm.
De Ligt is getting nothing but praise at Juve.

Yes, the had to adjust to another club, another league and most important another way of playing. Not that strange isn't it?

Ziyech was great until he got injured. He will bounce back and will be very important for Chelsea. Just needs two good games and he will be and stay in form.

I think VdB made the wrong choice by going to Man Utd. He really is a great player if you use him the right way. And that's not the way United play. That's doesn't make United a bad coached club or VdB a bad player. Just the wrong player at the wrong club.
I do fear for VdB. Hard to see him getting much of a run out in the business end of the season.

Velvet Revolver

What’s Donny done to earn trust? Each time he’s played he’s looked largely anonymous. You take your opportunity when they arise and he really hasn’t even shown in small moments what were missing. It’s turning out to be a terrible signing
New league, New country, new team who are learning how to win game, don't forget we are still in the middle of a freaking pandemic! it takes time and patience for players to get used to the pace and requirements of the league. Plus he is young so give him some benefit of the doubt. Also ole doesn't help him by not playing him in games even when the outcome is of no importance!

JuriM

Didn't find any up to date Ajax topics, so bumping it instead.

After rough 2 years, this season it seems like Ten Hag have managed to get Ajax back on track again that can be dangerous in Europe also.

Just brushed aside Sporting in CL and now continuing the trashing in Eredivise, 9-0 vs Cambuur

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Didn't find any up to date Ajax topics, so bumping it instead.

After rough 2 years, this season it seems like Ten Hag have managed to get Ajax back on track again that can be dangerous in Europe also.

Just brushed aside Sporting in CL and now continuing the trashing in Eredivise, 9-0 vs Cambuur
Rough 2 years? Did I miss something.

Certainly it wasnt the high it was in 2019, but we finished first twice and showed very good displays in the CL. Absolutely were robbed vs Chelsea, and injuries/poor finishing cost us another CL campaign. A bit unlucky, sometimes a lack of quality in certain positions. He is a fantastic manager.

Bayern and Ajax are relatively amazing machines for their budget and squad quality and Ten Hag has done a fantastic job in that.

Looking back at that, performance wise we should have gotten so much more vs Liverpool, Atalanta and Roma last season. You can lose to Liverpool but all the other ones were so unnecessary. With the addition of Haller, Berghuis, the emergence of Timber, resurgence of Mazraoui and Alvarez the team is much better now again. Not as good as it once was but very good.

I'd love Erik Ten Hag as United manager, he'd surely make great transfers but I think our football would be taken to the next level. For the "style of play hipsters" he is one of the very best I'd say. The way Ajax play is a sight to see.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Dutch managers tend to not do great in the PL. Their football style doesn't work in the PL.
Hiddink and Koeman werent bad, and I don't think any of the Dutch managers is very comparable to Ten Hag. Who is much of the Guardiola branche.

K Stand Knut

Dutch managers tend to not do great in the PL. Their football style doesn't work in the PL.
Yeah, maybe.

My knowledge is from a very small dataset so I can’t really argue too much for him.

Id just rather see someone of his ilk than a ‘world class’ manager like Conte.

RooneyLegend

He's a truly great coach that isnt helped by Ajax's refusal to get defenders who can actually defend in the club. CL proven coaches are the mustard.

SAFMUTD

He seems to be the next big thing, ajax play is a joy to watch. I'll take him here any day.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe more for the Eredivisie thread; but 8 different goalscorers in that 9-0 too. Quite special - equalling Ajax's own Dutch record.

Jibbs

I would love to have him or Rose as next United manager.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's tactically great, but honest to God the worst talker in the history of professional sports. Every time I hear him verbally stumbling about my soul dies a little.

Ajax have been fecking brilliant this season though (PSV aside). Though that's obviously because they have Steven Berghuis now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's tactically great, but honest to God the worst talker in the history of professional sports. Every time I hear him verbally stumbling about my soul dies a little.

Ajax have been fecking brilliant this season though (PSV aside). Though that's obviously because they have Steven Berghuis now.
I always found it hard to imagine Peter Bosz motivating a team, is ten Hag even worse than him?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I always found it hard to imagine Peter Bosz motivating a team, is ten Hag even worse than him?
He is by far the worst speaker of any top level coach I've ever seen. He makes Jaap Stam sound like prime Shakespeare.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is by far the worst speaker of any top level coach I've ever seen. He makes Jaap Stam sound like prime Shakespeare.
Shakespeare wrote the lines, he didn’t speak them. If you’ve got a recording of Shakespeare speaking, it’ll be worth a fortune

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Jorge Jesus is up for that fight I reckon, I'm not sure his Portuguese is much better than mine! :lol:

Varun

Staff
Surely you know what hipster means?

Unfortunately the same word has been used to describe Tuchel and Nagelsmann. Funny how they aren’t doing too badly
Yes but it tends to get thrown about on caf to look down on opinons / manager. As you precisely said, was the same when these 2 were mentioned as possible Utd managers and look how that went.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that I can't witness this myself, because I don't speak Dutch.

That stat tells you all you need to know about motivation
At Ajax he can speak in his native language and the club is aligned (at least in a broader sense) with his idea of football from head to toe.

At a new club he might have to implement his ideas from scratch, experience some hiccups in the process and build the necessary trust with his players to win them over to his ideas and keep them there. All while speaking a foreign language.

Bosz for example did some exciting things at Ajax as well, but one reason why he failed at Dortmund was that some players seemed to ignore his instructions and others seemed overwhelmed and both his time there and in Leverkusen ended, because a string of unfortunate results snowballed into a hopeless situation.

I'm not saying the same has to apply to ten Hag, but the combination: progressive ideas about football + low charisma, sounds like a considerable risk to me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes but it tends to get thrown about on caf to look down on opinons / manager. As you precisely said, was the same when these 2 were mentioned as possible Utd managers and look how that went.
I feel it's mostly used for coaches who are known for their results as a coach alone and not because they were famous players before.

Varun

Staff
I'm honestly a bit disappointed that I can't witness this myself, because I don't speak Dutch.

At Ajax he can speak in his native language and the club is aligned (at least in a broader sense) with his idea of football from head to toe.

At a new club he might have to implement his ideas from scratch, experience some hiccups in the process and build the necessary trust with his players to win them over to his ideas and keep them there. All while speaking a foreign language.

Bosz for example did some exciting things at Ajax as well, but one reason why he failed at Dortmund was that some players seemed to ignore his instructions and others seemed overwhelmed and both his time there and in Leverkusen ended, because a string of unfortunate results snowballed into a hopeless situation.

I'm not saying the same has to apply to ten Hag, but the combination: progressive ideas about football + low charisma, sounds like a considerable risk to me.
That's pretty interesting because if there's one thing that managers with lower rep (from their playing days) will face at big clubs with big names is "buy in". If players don't buy in to your ideas (especially when they're different and needs effort/ coaching), doesn't matter how good they are - you're fecked

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Surely you know what hipster means?

Unfortunately the same word has been used to describe Tuchel and Nagelsmann. Funny how they aren’t doing too badly
The original hipster coach was Klopp though. OG.

I remember when Ten Haag was rumoured to join Bayern, given that he was an assistant to Pep as well for some time. Was excited by that but Bayern went for Flick instead, funny how well that turned out :D

Exciting manager none the less, getting good results at Ajax.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is the guy we need to be all over if we ever replace Solskjær, there’s something about Dutch and German managers… they know how to play football the right way.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Luckily for you, there are also interviews in German from his BM 2 days some years ago:
Does this sound like his Dutch performances, @KirkDuyt? To me, it does sound like this interview from two weeks ago, where he can't seem to be able to string together sequences of more than 5 words without taking a break. That's hard to listen to.
Ajax have been fecking brilliant this season though (PSV aside). Though that's obviously because they have Steven Berghius now.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Luckily for you, there are also interviews in German from his BM 2 days some years ago:
It reminds me of Favre a bit, he drags out simple sentences so much, it almost seems like speaking is a painful exercise to him.