Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Matthew84!

Not for me, people seem way to impressed for someone managing in one of the worst leagues around, Ajax are pretty much nailed on for the league every season unless some sad can't do his job.
Will see how good they are in the next round as their group wasn't the hardest as Dortmund are losing to everyone.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not for me, people seem way to impressed for someone managing in one of the worst leagues around, Ajax are pretty much nailed on for the league every season unless some sad can't do his job.
Will see how good they are in the next round as their group wasn't the hardest as Dortmund are losing to everyone.
Damn, how often do I need to repeat this... The Eredivisie is not strong, but no, Ajax is not the Dutch Bayern Munich. Since 2000, PSV have been champions more often than them, and most years, it's a close race for most or all of the season near the top. Also, this isn't the first time Ten Hag did well in the CL, a few years ago Ajax convincingly kicked out Juventus and Real Madrid on their way to the semis. Also, people aren't just liking Ten Hag for the outcomes of matches, it's very much about the type of football on display as well.

You don't have to like Ten Hag, but these aren't the right arguments.

Eddy_JukeZ

Literally dreaming we get him in the summer.

The potential ceiling if he works out will be sky-high.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
But you would "definitely take (Poch)", despite him being in a worse league with a super team. And making casual excuses for Ajax dominating their Group, while PSG aren't.

I find it really hard to believe that you guys can't see the flaws in these arguments. I'm pretty sure that, even in the forum polls, spurs fans were in favour of ETH over a Poch return when the circus was in full swing back in May/June.

Even if you ignore the Eredivise stuff, he was very highly rated as manager of the Bayern II squad when Pep was there. He has all the ingredients tbh, and one of the things that (allegedly) put Spurs off was that he didn't have a backroom team (which is, apparently, normal in the dutch leagues) to bring with him, so the favoured figures like McKenna/Carrick wouldn't necessarily get chopped - which will suit the board.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
What he's done at Ajax has been impressive and can't see him staying at Ajax beyond this season. Manchester United should make their top priority to get this guy whenever his available but he could really end up in any big club across Europe. I wouldn't mind this guy or Tuchel taking it from Ancelotti at Real Madrid but is up to him to decide how he wants to progress his career.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is slightly why I’m beginning to lean more towards Pochettino than Ten Hag now

I’d love us to bring in VDS & Overmars with Ten Hag but pretty safe to say there is no way the Glazers will sanction moves for either of those two.
But what's so great about Pochettino's management (not coaching). When he was given big money at Spurs right at the end he seemed to waste it. Otherwise he's never been one for those larger than life managers like SAF who runs the show.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What he's done at Ajax has been impressive and can't see him staying at Ajax beyond this season. Manchester United should make their top priority to get this guy whenever his available but he could really end up in any big club across Europe. I wouldn't mind this guy or Tuchel taking it from Ancelotti at Real Madrid but is up to him to decide how he wants to progress his career.
We seem to have a hard on for Pochettino as he's managed in England and we can't see beyond our our nose.

Ted Lasso

Damn, how often do I need to repeat this... The Eredivisie is not strong, but no, Ajax is not the Dutch Bayern Munich. Since 2000, PSV have been champions more often than them, and most years, it's a close race for most or all of the season near the top. Also, this isn't the first time Ten Hag did well in the CL, a few years ago Ajax convincingly kicked out Juventus and Real Madrid on their way to the semis. Also, people aren't just liking Ten Hag for the outcomes of matches, it's very much about the type of football on display as well.

You don't have to like Ten Hag, but these aren't the right arguments.
It's quite shocking to see the strong opinions coming from those who didn't even bother googling or checking wiki before spouting nonsense isn't it?

Teja

We seem to have a hard on for Pochettino as he's managed in England and we can't see beyond our our nose.
:(

I would be over the moon if we got him. @Adnan thinks Murtough knows what he's doing, so let's hope.

I think we'll pass because he doesn't have "big club expertise" or no dutch coaches because LvG or whatever. He'll end up at City and give them another half a decade of success.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
:(

I would be over the moon if we got him. @Adnan thinks Murtough knows what he's doing, so let's hope.

I think we'll pass because he doesn't have "big club expertise" or no dutch coaches because LvG or whatever. He'll end up at City and give them another half a decade of success.
From what he's done to date, there's been no identifiable mistakes from creating the scouting/data networks and revamping the youth structure at the club. With Solskjaer also now gone that should pave the way for Murtough to become the complete authority on the football side and he will now be judged.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Pochettino doesn't seem a bad option but I think the opportunity already passed for United to get him and Ten Hag seems like someone with more potential currently. Pochettino already rejected Real Madrid and maybe he regrets that but he's now at PSG and it isn't going as well. I would have him as a back up option but he's not the only good manager out there.

kthanksbye

I'm convinced, still sceptical about the fact that he's never managed in the PL (in comparison to Poch) and that Ajax is a properly run club, a good environment to be a manager, not sure how he would do outside that comfort zone, but the brand of football he has his team playing, I'd rather we hire him and find out if he's the real deal, a risk worth taking, he could be the next Pep or Klopp.

Sign me up.

Caesar2290

How often has that been posted in this thread now? :lol:
Not enough times if you ask me :wenger: . Our supporters need a constant reminder of what a Top class manager sounds like. Ironic really, considering Fergie is in a similar mould.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I love how people don't know anything about other leagues but then come out strong with statements like that.
First while the Eredivise isn't amazing and a top league that doesn't mean it's one of the worst leagues. There are ton of leagues in Europe that are much, much worse.

Also the Eredivise isn't a one-horse league.
That's the 3 league winners before Ten Hag joined Ajax: PSV, Feyenoord, PSV

Even in his first season PSV won the
league again. Then Ajax got dominant.

And his performences in Europe are fantastic nevertheless.

Real Name

Unlike Ole he understands getting points is not just for ego. Winning trophies too. Do you hear that Ole?

Am I doing this right?

I'm convinced, still sceptical about the fact that he's never managed in the PL (in comparison to Poch) and that Ajax is a properly run club, a good environment to be a manager, not sure how he would do outside that comfort zone, but the brand of football he has his team playing, I'd rather we hire him and find out if he's the real deal, a risk worth taking, he could be the next Pep or Klopp.

Sign me up.
Well Pep and Klopp never managed in the PL until they managed City and Pool and we've seen how that turned out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was the team good vs Besiktas looking like a team of another level - or looking like the same kind of level?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is the guy.
Get him, and I’ll be convinced that we’re making the right moves for long term success.
Get Poch and we’re playing it safe.

NoPace

Easy to be wary of an Ajax manager coming somewhere where only Van De Beek and Sancho seem likely to be somewhat similarly schooled, but it is probably a good thing that he's doing well with Haller as a 9 now since he'd be coaching Cristiano as an in the box striker for his first season before going to Greenwood or Rashford, though neither are Tadic.

VivaRonaldo85

This guy has potential to take us to that next level to compete with the best. It won’t be instant but his teams look well drilled, has a style of play and he embraces young talent. Sign him and bring van der sar with him as a proper football director and there’s a chance of something being built that could take us to where we all want to be. Bring in Poch and as someone else said, it’s a safe pair of hands for a couple of years until results start to deteriorate again.

NoPace

I love how people don't know anything about other leagues but then come out strong with statements like that.
First while the Eredivise isn't amazing and a top league that doesn't mean it's one of the worst leagues. There are ton of leagues in Europe that are much, much worse.

Also the Eredivise isn't a one-horse league.
That's the 3 league winners before Ten Hag joined Ajax: PSV, Feyenoord, PSV

Even in his first season PSV won the
league again. Then Ajax got dominant.

And his performences in Europe are fantastic nevertheless.
Aren't PSV a bit down these days though? Would anyone but Gakpo or Sangare be really pushing for a first team spot at Ajax?

But yeah, Ajax have been much better than usual in Europe under Ten Hag and they're on pace for a 118+ goal difference so basically there's nothing really to say about the job he's doing other than it's incredible. Also won the coach of the year with Utrecht and Bayern trusted him to run their youth team which are comforting and suggest he's not just got a machine running perfectly but has been well regarded and a success elsewhere.

kthanksbye

Well Pep and Klopp never managed in the PL until they managed City and Pool and we've seen how that turned out.
Pep was a different beast even before he came to the PL wasn't he.
I mean surely there's a difference between winning titles in Spain/Germany (a sextuple to boot) and in Netherlands. Klopp yes, point stands.

meamth

Pep was a different beast even before he came to the PL wasn't he.
I mean surely there's a difference between winning titles in Spain/Germany (a sextuple to boot) and in Netherlands. Klopp yes, point stands.
But still there are city fans asking Pep to be sacked... :lol:

Son

We like Poch because he is a fantastic manager who got to a champions league final and made Tottenham arguably the best side in the league two seasons on the bounce.

Suits our squad right now more than arguably anyone else. It’s almost like maybe this squad was built for him in mind eventually.

We still need a starter RWB and CDM but it’s almost finished otherwise for him to hit the ground running.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
We like Poch because he is a fantastic manager who got to a champions league final and made Tottenham arguably the best side in the league two seasons on the bounce.

Suits our squad right now more than arguably anyone else. It’s almost like maybe this squad was built for him in mind eventually.

We still need a starter RWB and CDM but it’s almost finished otherwise for him to hit the ground running.
He won nothing with a very good side which arguably should have

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Are you talking about the season they were 7 points off the top and the season they were 11 points off the top?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Ethan Laird might be able to fill one of those and with a defensive midfielder with a strong passing pedigree too.

Judas

Open to offers
Poch did well when the big teams were far from their best, it lined up perfectly for him and Spurs, they took advantage, but not full advantage. Still nothing to show for it though in terms of winning something.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm amazed about how many Ajax experts the CAF has, had no idea so many of you regularly watched them

Bestietom

Having spoken to some friends living and working in Holland. They say Ten Hag is a very quiet and easy going person.
Would this really suit us, as this was Ole, and we seen what happened here.
Players Rule now, and when you have some of the world's top players, others tend to look up to these, and sometimes even ahead of the manager. This can be very damaging to the dressing room and training ground.
"You lose the players respect, you lose your job".

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Poch did well when the big teams were far from their best, it lined up perfectly for him and Spurs, they took advantage, but not full advantage. Still nothing to show for it though in terms of winning something.
Yeah and a point I'd like to make is that the posters who used that exact reason to discredit Ole finishing second last season should factor it in when they think of that season Poch had at Spurs.

charlenefan

My biggest concern is I don't see our squad being capable of playing the level of technical football this bloke has Ajax playing

In the few times I have seen Ajax down the years recently even VDB didn't look as comfortable on the ball as the likes of De Jong and Ziyech so I cant see beyond either another massive rebuild or it going so wrong he gets the sack half way through

Sometimes like Conte you just have to admit as good as that manager may be they're not a right fit so you go for someone who will work best with the players at your disposal

It's a good thing he's already bald as he'd be pulling his hair out trying to get McFred to pass the way De Jong does

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
My biggest concern is I don't see our squad being capable of playing the level of technical football this bloke has Ajax playing

In the few times I have seen Ajax down the years recently even VDB didn't look as comfortable on the ball as the likes of De Jong and Ziyech so I cant see beyond either another massive rebuild or it going so wrong he gets the sack half way through

Sometimes like Conte you just have to admit as good as that manager may be they're not a right fit so you go for someone who will work best with the players at your disposal

It's a good thing he's already bald as he'd be pulling his hair out trying to get McFred to pass the way De Jong does
Their best players are a West Ham reject; a 33 year old ex-Southampton player; and a 29 year old Watford reject.

MUFC OK

Literally dreaming we get him in the summer.

The potential ceiling if he works out will be sky-high.
Agree that his ceiling is way higher than Poch. In 3 years he could have us as the dominant force in the PL. For what it's worth, he is the candidate that our rivals desperately don't want us to get. The anti-Ole, if you will.

charlenefan

Their best players are a West Ham reject; a 33 year old ex-Southampton player; and a 29 year old Watford reject.
And they're playing in the Dutch league

If he manages to do with this squad what he did a couple of years ago with De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech, VDB etc and take them into the SF's of the UCL then maybe I'll have hope he could polish some of the turds we have as well

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And they're playing in the Dutch league

If he manages to do with this squad what he did a couple of years ago with De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech, VDB etc and take them into the SF's of the UCL then maybe I'll have hope he could polish some of the turds we have as well
And they’ve won 5 in a row in the CL group stages. And Haller has 9 goals