Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
United next permanent manager /thread. I remember some fans laughing about my post and says previous Ajax manager could have done what he is doing and more stuff like that. I wonder if they still think that.
It would be weird if this come through. I have a strange knack of being right :lol:. Glad that our two choices are ETH and Poch. I do wonder who were the fans laughing at my post. I am not going to bother finding them because I don't feel like embarrassing them.

@Samid thinking ETH should be Ole assistant :lol:

bosskeano

They appoint an interim, i can't see them going after anyone other than Ten Hag this summer simply b/c his style of football suits the way United have always played and the traditions of the club

Caesar2290

Alvarez, Martinez and Klaassen are shite on the ball by United standards.

Not every player in ETH's teams is a technical wizard and his formations aren't rigid, meaning it's impossible to say: X player will be replaced because he's a different type than X player at Ajax. Alvarez and De Jong have played in the same "position".

He's taken West Ham and Watford rejects, he'd take half our squad if offered.
Why hald, he'd take our whole team if offered... at the end of the season.
Never lost by more than one goal - seriously impressive
Not bad for an attack minded team. Not bad at all.

Caesar2290

It would be weird if this come through. I have a strange knack of being right :lol:. Glad that our two choices are ETH and Poch. I do wonder who were the fans laughing at my post. I am not going to bother finding them because I don't feel like embarrassing them.

@Samid thinking ETH should be Ole assistant :lol:
Wait, I thought you are in the Poch in camp. I'm a bit confused now.

Kaos

As much as I want ETH as first choice, I'm not convinced Ragnick's appointment as interim necessarily paves the way to him being first choice.

I thought Ten Hag's style was more similar to that of Pep's, with a focus on possession-based football, whereas Ragnick's approach is more in line with Klopp's more direct, aggressive pressing and quick transitional approach. If anything Poch is surely more suited to building on the foundations that Ragnick would set?

AndySmith1990

The idea of getting either Ten Hag or Poch whilst we have Rangnick at the club in an advidory/consultation role is making me feel excited and optimistic for the future. It will take some time to implement an entirely new style, and bring in players to fill any weaknesses, but when we get there it's going to be so worth it. 8 years of watching mostly crap football from 4 very different managers takes it toll.

Pscholes18

As much as I want ETH as first choice, I'm not convinced Ragnick's appointment as interim necessarily paves the way to him being first choice.

I thought Ten Hag's style was more similar to that of Pep's, with a focus on possession-based football, whereas Ragnick's approach is more in line with Klopp's more direct, aggressive pressing and quick transitional approach. If anything Poch is surely more suited to building on the foundations that Ragnick would set?
Aren't they similar in the aspect of moving forward with quick passing? TH and Ranger that is

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Has Ragnick and Ten Haag ever worked with each other, or is the speculation based solely on the style of play and current availibility in the market of progressive football managers? I'd say Pochettino has as good chance as him - both managers at a very good time of their career to get.

AussieDevil

Aren't they similar in the aspect of moving forward with quick passing? TH and Ranger that is
Rangnicks style seems more vertical and direct, quick passes to cut through the lines. There is more buildup play in Ten Hags system.

Ten Hag is a unique coach IMO. He seems to be a cross between your typical Dutch and German managers.

lexisonfire

Supports
Dortmund
Ajax's equaliser away at Besiktas is exactly the type of vertical football that Rangnick advocates, a through pass from defence that took out 10 Besiktas players.

Problem is Rangnick may favour German coaches, i.e. his coaching disciples who can continue his work. ETH is also likely not keen to take input from a consultant on who he should purchase or how his teams should press, and he'll easily find clubs who hand him more power to decide.

croadyman

They appoint an interim, i can't see them going after anyone other than Ten Hag this summer simply b/c his style of football suits the way United have always played and the traditions of the club
The only thing with that is will his style of Football be drastically different to Ralf's and require yet another philosophy

In Rainbows

The only thing with that is will his style of Football be drastically different to Ralf's and require yet another philosophy
Based on what Ralf said, I think he just likes his coaches to have a clear set plan when on the ball or without the ball. He mentioned the likes of Simeone being an example of the best coaches even if they're not trying to achieve the same playstyle. That's not to say that style doesn't matter to him. I'm sure he would prefer to have someone like Ten Hag succeed him rather than Simeone. Just that he absolutely believes the best coaches involve that level of planning or instructions for their teams to have.

Sviken

No, it won't. Rangnick and Ten Hag employ a similar philosophy. It's just that Ten Hag's team are more patient when they regain possesssion while Rangnick's idea is to counter-attack immediately. But both systems rely on a very high pressing system, quick passing to open the opposition, overloads with attacking players going forward at the expense of defence. Leipzig, that is almost entirely built in Rangnick's image, has one of the highest possession stats in the Bundesliga. He heaps praise on Tuchel and Klopp who both like to control the ball. Not as much as Pep, of course, but Klopp's Liverpool are the second most dominant team on the ball, so let's drop the idea that Rangnick and Ten Hag play some entirely different style. They're pretty similar, just like how Klopp and Pep are similar.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How exactly is that ?

Edit - its a question. Ignore my post.

Last edited:

croadyman

No, it won't. Rangnick and Ten Hag employ a similar philosophy. It's just that Ten Hag's team are more patient when they regain possesssion while Rangnick's idea is to counter-attack immediately. But both systems rely on a very high pressing system, quick passing to open the opposition, overloads with attacking players going forward at the expense of defence. Leipzig, that is almost entirely built in Rangnick's image, has one of the highest possession stats in the Bundesliga. He heaps praise on Tuchel and Klopp who both like to control the ball. Not as much as Pep, of course, but Klopp's Liverpool are the second most dominant team on the ball, so let's drop the idea that Rangnick and Ten Hag play some entirely different style. They're pretty similar, just like how Klopp and Pep are similar.
That's good then because was worried that the guy who end up succeeding Ralf would rip up the foundations he is going to lay this season

NK86

Ajax's equaliser away at Besiktas is exactly the type of vertical football that Rangnick advocates, a through pass from defence that took out 10 Besiktas players.

Problem is Rangnick may favour German coaches, i.e. his coaching disciples who can continue his work. ETH is also likely not keen to take input from a consultant on who he should purchase or how his teams should press, and he'll easily find clubs who hand him more power to decide.
Like which top club gives coaches that kind of free reign? All the major powerhouses have a DOF in place who guide (and in some cases dictate) which players should be bought and on the philosophy to be applied for the club.
In my opinion, the kind of freedom the managers get at United is too much and has caused us most issues as we moved from one style of play to the next creating more deadwood with each transition.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Don't think Rangnick will be consultant for coach, he will.be consultant for club. Like setting up scouting network, hiring coaches and to the management which includes Murtough, Fletcher.

Gazautd18

3 Clear of PSV now with insane goal difference after beating Sparta.
Anyone watch the match?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
3 Clear of PSV now with insane goal difference after beating Sparta.
Anyone watch the match?
I watched the last 10 mins.

Seem like ajax dominated but struggled against a low block.

Had alot of possesions and chances bit only won it 1-0.

I'm just assuming this may be because they used a new striker called Danilo instead of their usual in Haller.

dangk1

Ajax and their passing game always struggle on artificial grass

Cloud7

The only appeal Poch held over ETH was that he was potentially gettable now. If we’re waiting until the summer than I would much much much rather ETH.

Kaos

The only appeal Poch held over ETH was that he was potentially gettable now. If we’re waiting until the summer than I would much much much rather ETH.
Yep, that was pretty much how I felt about it.

We should really be prioritising ETH now given he's supposedly quite gettable in the summer. Though I would be inclined to trust Rangnick's judgement on who he feels would suit us best going forward.

Blood Mage

Wishful thinking from the caf. Rangnick is honestly more likely to recommend Poch or Hassenhuttl as they are students of his pressing philosophy. Ten Hag is a student of the Cruyff/Michels/Van Gaal possession philosophy.

Spark

He’s the obvious choice. If we get him and he’s shit then so be it - annoying, but we move on. Much rather take that risk (and I don’t believe it is a risk) then watch him go back to Bayern, or any other club, and have him tear it up there. That would feck me off no end.

luke511

I think Ten Hag is more likely to join us because of Rangnick rather than the other way around. It'd certainly give him confidence knowing he'd be joining the club with a proper system and structure laid out for him, rather than him having to pick up the pieces himself. That's what he's already used to at Ajax. A combination of Rangnick and Ten Hag would be complementary I'm sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wishful thinking from the caf. Rangnick is honestly more likely to recommend Poch or Hassenhuttl as they are students of his pressing philosophy. Ten Hag is a student of the Cruyff/Michels/Van Gaal possession philosophy.
Well yes and no.

He is indeed partly a student of that possession philosophy but it's important to remember that he isn't a thoroughbred Ajax protege who is indoctrinated in it either. His background as a coach was at Bayern and Utrecht and was brought into Ajax as an outsider, having never played for the club either. And that shows in the way his team plays, which is heavily influence by those Germanic tactical ideas and in several instances veered away from a lot of Ajax's traditions.

In his own words:

Something had to happen but it’s not easy in Amsterdam. There is a vibe of “we know it all” here. And they did linger too long in the historic successes. Football has developed and Peter Bosz as an example, was successful in making changes. But…he still left. There was too much resistance and that culture needed shaking up. Which is why Alfred Schreuder and I were brought in. We were coaching from outside of the club and that always brings resistance. And that is ok, but I always felt support from the key people in the club. By the way, my mission wasn’t merely “make Ajax champions”, my mission was also to make Ajax Europe prof. To introduce modern elements of the game. After 1,5 years we won the double and made it to the semis of the CL. That is just great.
Those "modern elements of the game" he speaks about being linked to that Germanic pressing philosophy.