Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It’s perfectly conceivable that Ole signed off on the Ronny signing without actually believing it was the right thing to do.

Complete speculation of course, but I could totally see him feeling like he can’t say no to the idea when the club are pushing for it given that it’s such a big name and a PR and commercial dream. I’m not absolving him of blame in this scenario - he of course should have stood his ground if true, but the Ronaldo signing ran counter to almost everything that came before under his tenure.

Prior to last season Ole had a young team that seemed to like him and respect him, partly because they didn’t know any different - but it somehow worked much of the time.

Anyone (Solskjaer included) could predict that with Ronny’s profile and temperament that balance would be disrupted.

Personally I’m glad Ronaldo is off, it was a novelty to see him playing for United again and he provided us with a handful of truly memorable moments last season (including 1 or 2 games where he single handedly played everyone off the pitch) but I fear he will be as disruptive to the new set-up as he was to Ole’s.
Inclined to agree with this. Ole did not have the power as a manager to go against the club. A bigger name manager might have told them where to stick Ronaldo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People who are saying Ronaldo cannot fit in ETH's plans probably did not see Ajax last season. They were playing with Haller as a CF and Ronaldo is a even better CF then Haller. ETH is capable of using different tactics to accommodate different type of players, so there is no need for concern lads.
It isn't about the strike rate, it is about the work off the ball. Does Haller press. If Ronaldo just wants to stand about up front, that will not suit ETH, he has to be involved in other aspects of the game.

Lee565

It seems like eth does not yet have the aura to have the pull with players like I think us fans naively thought he would.

Even when mourinho joined us and we couldn't offer champions league football we had players still wanting to come play for him but I'm not getting that at all from ten hag who is settling for Dutch league players and fdj who has shown no desire to come to united and play back under ten hag, as well as so many of our big names wanting away from the club and not interested in his project, I don't think we would have seen this problem if we had hired conte.

OpenIntrovert

It isn't about the strike rate, it is about the work off the ball. Does Haller press. If Ronaldo just wants to stand about up front, that will not suit ETH, he has to be involved in other aspects of the game.
You guys need to relook at the CF role and how Haller played for Ajax. CF is not someone who presses, but one who is capable of holding up play, finding good positions to receive the final ball and obviously a good finisher with the feet and head. Thats how Haller played at Ajax.

Pressing is not strongly required for a CF. Its the wingers and midfielders that need to do this more as they cover more spaces. If the formation is using 3 forwards, pressing is necessary as the 3 forwards cover the entire attacking half of the pitch.

Mickson

You guys need to relook at the CF role and how Haller played for Ajax. CF is not someone who presses, but one who is capable of holding up play, finding good positions to receive the final ball and obviously a good finisher with the feet and head. Thats how Haller played at Ajax.

Pressing is not strongly required for a CF. Its the wingers and midfielders that need to do this more as they cover more spaces. If the formation is using 3 forwards, pressing is necessary as the 3 forwards cover the entire attacking half of the pitch.
Doesn't matter. Ronaldo can't hold the ball up either. The only thing he can do is poach, and he is only going to get worse at that as well.

Number TwentyFive

I did see at least ten Ajax matches last season and saying the CF is not someone who presses is just wrong. The CF is the one that who leads the press, he decides when to press, were to press. He is the key to were team are going press the opposition to play the ball. If they are pressing them to play the ball to the right side or the left side, or into a more centrally trap. Also if you look at the other top teams around Europe most of them has a CF that leads the press, except PSG.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Still the new manager and the players he want to prioritise first is a huge concern. I fear that he has an idea that he can make United control games like Ajax do in the Eredivisie, but that is impossible to do in the Premier League, the opposition always creates a few chances.
City are better at controlling matches in the EPL than Ajax ever managed under Ten Hag in the Eredivisie.

Matt851

Yeah CR is better, but Haller actually did put in the defensive work CR won't do. This is not about quality, but how CR fit the tactical system.
Ronaldo is basically a poacher these days, haller is better at holding the ball up etc

OverratedOpinion

Was a top, top coach back in his day but let's be honest he's a dinosaur now. I have no problem with him being here though as long as he's just putting out the cones, repeating Ten Hag's instructions to the players and helping to boost dressing room spirit, which is basically what Phelan's role was.
He's far more knowledgeable about the game than Phelan. I have absolutely no doubt Ten Hag wanted him for his input tactically and about players. Which I think is a good thing, our assistant manager is a better coach than our previous 2 managers. That can only be a positive.

georgipep

That's very not true. Pressing is a collaborative effort. Striker covers angles and pressures both the keeper and the defenders, Haller did it too. You can check their (Haller and Ronaldo) stats too to see the difference.

Marwood

Was a top, top coach back in his day but let's be honest he's a dinosaur now. I have no problem with him being here though as long as he's just putting out the cones, repeating Ten Hag's instructions to the players and helping to boost dressing room spirit, which is basically what Phelan's role was.
What is it he doesn't understand about today's football?

And how do you know this?

Stig

I guarantee we fair better with Martial as striker than we do Ronaldo.

Ronaldo > Martial every day of the week and twice on Sundays but from a tactical point of view which benefits the team..
One walks around showung no effort.nor interest. The other is our top goal scorer

Stig

His tactical style is far easier to implement without Ronaldo. If Ronaldo stays, ETH will be expected to change his tactics and philosophy to fit Ronaldo's play style.

It is much better for the team and manager in the medium to long term to just let Ronaldo leave this summer.
Please explain to me ETH's technical style and how Ronaldo doesn't fit into that. Thanks.

dubplate warrior

So a few days until the teams go on tour and the biggest concern for many fans are that the club hasnt landed any signings. I agree that it is a big problem, but dig a bit deeper, and there is a concern that is just as big. I might be blasted for this, but when looking at what players that are linked in, then I think the new manager and his lack of Premier League experience is a bigger concern.

ETH is probably a great coach, if not Ajax wouldnt be as good as they've been under him, but that is not the issue. The issue is what players he want in. The players are probaby good, but there is a few buts.

1. Frenkie de Jong, does he really want to come here? This transfer has been dragging out for weeks now. If the player really wanted to sign for the club, with Barcelonas money trouble, then this deal would have been rubber stamped weeks ago. Why go on the hunt for a player that has set his heart on staying were he is. Also if de Jong is such a big must that ETHs project is completley dependet on him, then is he a such a great coach if there is only one player in the whole world that can make his project work.

2. Tyler Malacia, a left back. Ok Shaw was poor last season, but if ETH wat attacking wing backs and is such a great coach then Shaw will fit ETH. But even if Shaw dont return to previous form, there is a glaring hole at right back. AWB is clearly not not good enough as an attacking wing back, and his defensive positioning is just awful. Dalot isnt much better defensively, and while he can go forward, how many crosses do actually hit a teammate in the box? The club need a new right back, and at the same time can leave with Shaw even if he doesn't return to his best as the options on the right are horrible.

3. Christian Eriksen. Great player, one of my favourites, but why? He plays in excactly the same position as Bruno. Yes the club need squad depth, and of course he will be a good player in the squad. Still there are two questions to be asked both with the answer "no". Will Eriksen sign and accept to be a back-up? No. Should the club prioritise 150 k a week for another attacking midfielder, before they sign a defensive midfielder? No.

4. Lisandro Martinez. A 1.75 m tall or should i say short central defender. This is for me the biggest clue that ETH hasn't done his research about what the Premier League is. No matter ho great leap Martinez has and how many aerial duels he has won in the Eredivisie he is to short for the Premier League. First ETH wanted Timber who is 1.79 m tall and when he rejects he goes even lower. In the Premier League even Man City and Liverpool have spells in almost every games were they have to defend crosses from poorer teams, to think that United would avoid that and can manage with a short central defender is either lack of competence or arrogance. Yes, the big clubs in the Eredivisie can get away with it, as they are much more dominant and all clubs there play the dutch way, but in the Premier League most teams have a physical element of their game and they use it. Consider that Lindeløf is 1.87 m tall and struggles in the arial duels, do anyone actually think that Martinez would thrive in the Premier League. Please let him go to Arsenal.

So yes there is a big concern that the club hasn't managed to land any signing, and that could be blamed on the owners, the leadership. Still the new manager and the players he want to prioritise first is a huge concern. I fear that he has an idea that he can make United control games like Ajax do in the Eredivisie, but that is impossible to do in the Premier League, the opposition always creates a few chances. The fact is that the club need a new right back, a Premier League suited central defender, a defensive midfielder and/or a midfielder that wants to sign, a young striker so "the Ego" can get his transfer request accepted, and none of that seems to be prioritised by ETH. Next season will be a struggle, and if ETH doesn't start to adress the needs in this squad and learn what the Premier League is about then I wonder who the next manager will be.
I think its probably a good idea that we spend the first window getting players the manager knows to help implement his style as quickly as possible, whilst also helping make sure the dressing room becomes his own. If this was a pattern next year, then its probably a worthwhile concern.

Reactions: Cheimoon

ThanksBoss26

I think its probably a good idea that we spend the first window getting players the manager knows to help implement his style as quickly as possible, whilst also helping make sure the dressing room becomes his own. If this was a pattern next year, then its probably a worthwhile concern.
Agreed. Short-term (and given we're basically ripping up the main scouting network), no issue at all for me.

dubplate warrior

It seems like eth does not yet have the aura to have the pull with players like I think us fans naively thought he would.

Even when mourinho joined us and we couldn't offer champions league football we had players still wanting to come play for him but I'm not getting that at all from ten hag who is settling for Dutch league players and fdj who has shown no desire to come to united and play back under ten hag, as well as so many of our big names wanting away from the club and not interested in his project, I don't think we would have seen this problem if we had hired conte.
I don't think most fans thought many people thought ETH had the same pull as the likes of Pep/Klopp/Jose etc. It's also worth noting that the club is at its lowest ebb in modern history.

Conte would leave us in the similar situation that Jose left us in. Its time for a new start and a patient rebuild. It's about developing and improving players alongside creating a style that's worth being patient for.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Revaulx

We had players whose agents were good at soft soaping Ed Woodward. I doubt Jose had anything to do with it.

I’m yet to be wholly convinced by the new lot, but at least they appear to be trying to act in a professional and football-focused manner.

marcus agrippa

He's far more knowledgeable about the game than Phelan. I have absolutely no doubt Ten Hag wanted him for his input tactically and about players. Which I think is a good thing, our assistant manager is a better coach than our previous 2 managers. That can only be a positive.
Not only that, I remember hearing an interview with one of the Dutch journalists around the time we were finalizing EtH, and he said specifically that EtH would want a British assistant, someone who knows the league, the culture of English football, and what is expected. McClaren is that guy. Which rather makes a mockery of what @Number TwentyFive posted above.

OverratedOpinion

Not only that, I remember hearing an interview with one of the Dutch journalists around the time we were finalizing EtH, and he said specifically that EtH would want a British assistant, someone who knows the league, the culture of English football, and what is expected. McClaren is that guy. Which rather makes a mockery of what @Number TwentyFive posted above.
I think it'll be hugely helpful. Minimising his role to putting out cones just sounded strange to me.

Also someone earlier said he is a fossil. He's 5 years older than Klopp.

All very harsh.

florisW

Supports
Ajax

Cf is the first to press. Making sure there is pressure on the gk, to make him make a mistake and give a big haul forward .

OpenIntrovert

That's very not true. Pressing is a collaborative effort. Striker covers angles and pressures both the keeper and the defenders, Haller did it too. You can check their (Haller and Ronaldo) stats too to see the difference.
I am not saying that they dont press, i am saying that it is strongly not required. Ronaldo does press the defenders and GK but he cant do it game in, game out. But even then, it is not a big problem for ETH as he can use the wingers and midfielders to provide more pressure. A CF's key need is to be the main finisher, so ETH will use Ronaldo in that manner.

georgipep

I am not saying that they dont press, i am saying that it is strongly not required. Ronaldo does press the defenders and GK but he cant do it game in, game out. But even then, it is not a big problem for ETH as he can use the wingers and midfielders to provide more pressure. A CF's key need is to be the main finisher, so ETH will use Ronaldo in that manner.
Ronaldo is statistically the least pressing forward in the top leagues and pressing is strongly required in Ten Hag and other modern managers' tactics

reelworld

I think it'll be hugely helpful. Minimising his role to putting out cones just sounded strange to me.

All very harsh.
MacLaren has a very respectable career as a football manager, English stint aside (tbf, that job was cursed). He's achieved far more in his managerial career than Ole. And the latter was managing us last season!
He's the perfect assistant to ten Hag. Knows him personally, work with him to won a league title in Holland, while also serves as a link to the United golden era.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

All very harsh.
It's always amazing how few fans are cocksure about the roles and quality of staff when no one attends the training session or have a clue about the trainings.

At least players, we see every week on the pitch. Managers are judged by play style and results. There is nothing to judge coaching staff but for some reason few think they know everything.

Teffe

I'm worried that Ronaldo officially wants to leave because he has realized there won't be any decent incoming transfers this season. Will this year mainly be to reset and start a progress, and then add missing players next year?

b20times

Surely there is better coaches than Steve McClaren?
I think he's past his best and had his day or maybe I'm being harsh, he might be a brilliant number 2 whereas his day as number 1 are long gone. Only time will tell.

Ibi Dreams

I think he's past his best and had his day or maybe I'm being harsh, he might be a brilliant number 2 whereas his day as number 1 are long gone. Only time will tell.
Van Der Gaag is the number two.

If ETH thinks McClaren will be useful then we should trust him on that. He should know a decent coach when he sees one

Number TwentyFive

Makes a mockery of my comments how? Even if he brings in McClaren who knows English football, it only means that he has an assistant who knows English football and can give him advice. ETH still hasnt experienced the Premier League and doesn't know it. ETH clearly said when he met the press that after listening to people then he "would draw his own lines". So no matter how much McClaren knows English football and can give advice ETH would still need to listen. So when ETH has drawn his own line and decided that Martinez is the central defender he brings in, he clearly still haven't clued himself up on what the Premier League it's physical play is about.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Maybe, but he has tons of experience and I believe can give very valuable input to the manager. Therefore, I am happy he is on board

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm worried that Ronaldo officially wants to leave because he has realized there won't be any decent incoming transfers this season. Will this year mainly be to reset and start a progress, and then add missing players next year?
More the fact he's realised he might actually have to run during games now, and won't be able to stand at the half way line waving his arms around and pulling funny faces.

How can he keep his prestine hair if he starts to sweat?

Tibs

Eriks honeymoon lasted a week at United....the in-fighting and leaks have begun earlier than I thought.