Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 104 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 248 70.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Eriks honeymoon lasted a week at United....the in-fighting and leaks have begun earlier than I thought.
Were you expecting Disney fantasy movie? It's a football club, players leave as they have other aspirations.

georgipep

I am not saying that they dont press, i am saying that it is strongly not required. Ronaldo does press the defenders and GK but he cant do it game in, game out. But even then, it is not a big problem for ETH as he can use the wingers and midfielders to provide more pressure. A CF's key need is to be the main finisher, so ETH will use Ronaldo in that manner.
Ten Hag is a classic Ajax coach; he plays hard-pressing football. Excluding centre-backs, Ronaldo attempted fewer pressures than any other outfield player in Europe’s top five leagues last season. Those two details do not – cannot – go together. There is a fundamental disconnect that cannot be reconciled. No coach who wants to play modern football can accommodate Ronaldo. Perhaps a more reactive manager like Diego Simeone or a star-whisperer like Carlos Ancelotti could get something out of him (although you suspect Simeone’s demand for self-sacrifice would soon create issues) but no pressing coach could.
From Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure will hurt but now Manchester United can move forward (theguardian.com)

SB16

ten Hag is walking into rather a unique set of circumstances as a new manager at a top club. It's not just him who's new to the setup, but the organisational structure and personnel that are meant to be in place for him to transition in to the role are being overhauled completely, and a number of experienced first team players have left as well. Throw in the additional spanners in the works like Ronaldo's potential departure, the ongoing saga with de Jong etc. and it's a real stark awakening for him at the club (though he seems sensible enough that I imagine he anticipated some of this). I am personally not elevating my expectations too high for this season (in terms of the league, finishing in the Europa League spots would be sufficient, I think), and I do hope the fans show him some patience. But they usually do, especially if there is some marked improvement in the attitude displayed by the players on the pitch. Though, how much time a relatively modest league finish buys him from the players is a separate issue -- and this is why I think going after talented, ambitious young players like Malacia are the kinds of signings that give me most hope for us going forward.

Reactions: Cheimoon

LoneStar

What are your expectations going into the season? If we end up signing the 3-4 players we have been linked with, top 4 is possible. Not easy, given that our top 4 'rivals' have also strengthened so far. But not impossible.

I think he'll take at least half of the season to implement his ideas to a fair degree. We haven't played possession based football in a long time, and I expect a lot of our current players to struggle initially.

Top 4 would be incredible though since we can kick on, and sign quality players next summer.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
What are your expectations going into the season? If we end up signing the 3-4 players we have been linked with, top 4 is possible. Not easy, given that our top 4 'rivals' have also strengthened so far. But not impossible.

I think he'll take at least half of the season to implement his ideas to a fair degree. We haven't played possession based football in a long time, and I expect a lot of our current players to struggle initially.

Top 4 would be incredible though since we can kick on, and sign quality players next summer.
I am expecting top 6 next year with better football. There will be surprising ups and lows. It takes time for players to play the EtH way. I expect a machine in the 2nd season with some more signings.

LuckyScout78

As long as he get De Jong, Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia i will be satisfy.

As soon as better. But at the same time i am not so worry. As long as United get them.
First because those players are players that will make immediately impact. Both skills and football understanding. No mood players. I have seen enough of them. That they are players i know what i will get from them.
Is De Jong a conistent player, as a cm player?
Is Eriksen a conistent player, as a cm player?
Is Maritinez a conistent player, as a CB? You got voted player of the year in Ajax over Haller, Tadic, Antony and Timber for no reason.

And all of De Jong, Martinez and Eriksen have play a lot in 433 and they know 433 and that football style and formation really well.

If the coach isn't Ten Hag and the players aren't De Jong, Martinez and Eriksen. Then i will get worry. Because around a month before the season kick off. Ideally a manager want them to join as soon as better. But again. It depend on the manager and the name of the players. Which abilities and qualities they are known for. Both mental and physical ability.

Again. Ideally they join before pre season trip on Friday. But if not. 2-3 weeks before the season kick off. Still i think it will be time enough for them to get use to the new teammates. Because Ten Hag i think will play the football they know and are use to.

Potentially line up in a 433 formation or 4312 formation where i have seen Ten Hag used in the last two matches for Ajax last seasn.

First 433:

Bissaka/Lindelof - Varane/McTom - Martinez/Maguire - Malacia/Shaw

Eriksen/DVB/Levitt - Fred/Garner/De Jong - Bruno/De Jong/DVB

Sancho/Diallo/Chong - Ronaldo/Rashford/Martial - Rashford/Sancho/Martial

4312 : I like 4312 as an alternative formation to. Maybe drop the wings to go for 2 CF upfront and Bruno in that nr.10 role/the free AMC role. Like this, from midfield :

Eriksen/DVB/Levitt - Fred/Garner - De Jong/Eriksen/DVB + Bruno/Sancho +

Rashford/Martial - Ronaldo/Garnacho

I think United don't get weaker if drop the wings to have a free nr.10 for Bruno. Or Sancho in that role.

Ronaldo is the a really explosive or have really fast acceleration in the first metre anymore. Rashford still has it and Rashford still physical attribute to play the aggresive CF upfront. Beside a lesser mobile CF in Ronaldo. And Martial and Garnacho can be others good CF options too.

And like Ten Hag has said. It depend on the qualities of the players. It mean if he doesn't have specific players on the highest level as possible. He will not stuck only on 433. He used 4312 in the last matches for Ajax in the league. So sometime yeah. Ten Has has drop the wings during his Ajax time.
And play Dusan Tadic in the free CAM role/nr.10 role like this:

Kenneth Taylor - Alvarez - Berghuis + Tadic CAM nr.10 + Brobery - Haller. No wingers and no Antony

Link to that line up in the last match for Ajax:

https://www.altomfotball.no/element...ournamentId=243&seasonId=343&useFullUrl=false

So again. We can see both 433 and 4312 or 343 or 3412 formation under Ten Hag at Old Trafford. Special 4312 diamond formation can suit United current squad really good too.

And about RW. The current RW options there. Chong, Diallo and the right foot RW in Sancho. They have the preseason to impress and show that they have the top level as RW. Both skills and mentality. If not. Late this month. If Ten Hag doesn't found them good enough. He might go for a new RW.
So i do like those boys get time to impress the new manager. At the same time Ten Hag get enough time to judge and rate them. If they have what it takes to become a regular RW for a team that are chasing Top 4 and biggest title in the future.

RW might be the last positon Ten Hag and United will concentrate on. Shall focus on a rock solid defend hard to score against and the build up from Martinez passes, both short and long. Build up from the deep. If you doesn't start to think about the start of the build. But only focus on the finish and attacking players. Then those players will get the consistent top serivce and ball to work with. Yeah start to focuse on Martinez, De Jong, Eriksen and Malacia. Then you add with flavour and spice on top with RW.

Every winning teams. The biggest trophies. Have one thing in common. They have a rock solid defend and hard to beat and score against. You win the biggest trophies with a rock and strong defend.
Some example:

Van Dijk out for Liverpool. And they still had Mane and Salah. City won that season.
And City won the league again. After buying Ruben Dias from Benfica. And Dias made immediately impact in his first season.

So beside a really good and consistent pass foot in Martinez as CB. In the future. About 2 years time. I think United and Ten Hag need a world class CB. A beast of CB beside Martinez. Both of Varane and Maguire are not a natural beast as a CB for me. McTom has both the physical and mentality as a beast. And with the guidance of Ten Hag. You never know. McTerminator might transform as the beast of CB united is needed. Beside a ball playing CB in Martinez.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
When is his next press conference? No shortage of bollocks to talk about already.

marcus agrippa

Makes a mockery of my comments how? Even if he brings in McClaren who knows English football, it only means that he has an assistant who knows English football and can give him advice. ETH still hasnt experienced the Premier League and doesn't know it. ETH clearly said when he met the press that after listening to people then he "would draw his own lines". So no matter how much McClaren knows English football and can give advice ETH would still need to listen. So when ETH has drawn his own line and decided that Martinez is the central defender he brings in, he clearly still haven't clued himself up on what the Premier League it's physical play is about.
This is what you said:

So a few days until the teams go on tour and the biggest concern for many fans are that the club hasnt landed any signings. I agree that it is a big problem, but dig a bit deeper, and there is a concern that is just as big. I might be blasted for this, but when looking at what players that are linked in, then I think the new manager and his lack of Premier League experience is a bigger concern.

4. Lisandro Martinez. A 1.75 m tall or should i say short central defender. This is for me the biggest clue that ETH hasn't done his research about what the Premier League is. ... Yes, the big clubs in the Eredivisie can get away with it, as they are much more dominant and all clubs there play the dutch way, but in the Premier League most teams have a physical element of their game and they use it. Consider that Lindeløf is 1.87 m tall and struggles in the arial duels, do anyone actually think that Martinez would thrive in the Premier League. Please let him go to Arsenal.
You are insinuating that a man known for being ultra-prepared hasn't done his research. That he hasn't a clue what the Premiership is all about. And I'm telling you that it is precisely because he doesn't have firsthand experience that he's brought McClaren in. Not only that, he does have some idea what to expect as well. He is not some noob fresh off the boat. Here's what he said about Guardiola a couple of years ago:

Only once in his career has Pep made a mistake – in his first year at Manchester City when he completely underestimated the power and speed of the Premier League," Ten Hag told Voetbal International.

"He realised that you can't play the kind of football he loves without having a couple of physically strong athletes – and so he brought them in.
Source

Your post (both this one and the original one) is full of assumptions and holes not backed by evidence.

Number TwentyFive

Your post (both this one and the original one) is full of assumptions and holes not backed by evidence.
It is evidence enough that he is trying to sign a 1.75 m tall central defender. Maybe I didn't put any more evidence than that, but please name any class central defender in the Premier League that has been lower than 1.80 m. I don't think there are many of them, if there are anyone at all. Just in those numbers there is evidence enough

He might be as prepared as he could and Steve McClaren is around, but still he hasn't experienced the Premier League himself. And even if he knows that Guardiola underestimatet it, it doesn't mean that ETH knows excactly how physical brutal the league can be. Guardiola is known for being extremely methodical and prepared, I'm quite sure he had researched the Premier League in detail, he also brought in Arteta because he had played in the Premier League and knew the league. Still Guardiola underestimated how physical it was. Can you be sure that ETH doesn't do the same thing?

ETH can be as methodical he can be, as detailed as he can be. But when Guardiola underestimated the physicality of the league it only shows that even if a manager/head coach redearch the league down to the finest details he still has to manage/coach in the league and experience it to really understand how extremely phyiscal it is. ETH hasn't done that yet. So yeah it was overboard to say that he didn't research the league, he probably has done tons of research, but the thing is central defenders shorter than 1.80 m (maybe even 1.83) will struggle in this league. So even if he has researched the league in mesmerizing detail, he won't have 100% knowledge before actually coaching in the league, and ETH lacks the experince.

Graveyard

It is not even up to Ten Hag to spot opportunities on the transfermarket. What is our scouting department up to? Why aren't they finding us some 1.90m defenders with good build up ability?

glasgow 21

It is evidence enough that he is trying to sign a 1.75 m tall central defender. Maybe I didn't put any more evidence than that, but please name any class central defender in the Premier League that has been lower than 1.80 m. I don't think there are many of them, if there are anyone at all. Just in those numbers there is evidence enough

He might be as prepared as he could and Steve McClaren is around, but still he hasn't experienced the Premier League himself. And even if he knows that Guardiola underestimatet it, it doesn't mean that ETH knows excactly how physical brutal the league can be. Guardiola is known for being extremely methodical and prepared, I'm quite sure he had researched the Premier League in detail, he also brought in Arteta because he had played in the Premier League and knew the league. Still Guardiola underestimated how physical it was. Can you be sure that ETH doesn't do the same thing?

ETH can be as methodical he can be, as detailed as he can be. But when Guardiola underestimated the physicality of the league it only shows that even if a manager/head coach redearch the league down to the finest details he still has to manage/coach in the league and experience it to really understand how extremely phyiscal it is. ETH hasn't done that yet. So yeah it was overboard to say that he didn't research the league, he probably has done tons of research, but the thing is central defenders shorter than 1.80 m (maybe even 1.83) will struggle in this league. So even if he has researched the league in mesmerizing detail, he won't have 100% knowledge before actually coaching in the league, and ETH lacks the experince.
Fabio Cannavaro 1.76 and he would do nicely if he was 24, It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

bosskeano

for a guy who was said to have poor english....he doesn't do too badly with his communication

glasgow 21

It is not even up to Ten Hag to spot opportunities on the transfermarket. What is our scouting department up to? Why aren't they finding us some 1.90m defenders with good build up ability?
Nicola Milenkovic 1.95m seems to be in the 15m range

marcus agrippa

Have to admit, this bit concerns me a little. If the brief is to find players familiar with ETH's methods so we can be up and running as quickly as possible, then fine. But if it's to find only a certain profile of player, then it is concerning.

DanPorter

I can't post media links currently but if you look at @UtdFaithfuls on Twitter, there's a recent training video where the players are doing a passing drill and in the background Erik can be heard saying "too many mistakes". If someone can link it so everyone else can see.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
will he ever buy a player that’s not dutch? i’ve heard ronaldo is kicking off as ten hag is demanding he turns up to training in clogs.

MDFC Manager

I can't post media links currently but if you look at @UtdFaithfuls on Twitter, there's a recent training video where the players are doing a passing drill and in the background Erik can be heard saying "too many mistakes". If someone can link it so everyone else can see.

bosskeano

the big attention to detail that he keeps saying over and over again is which foot they are playing the ball to for the guys who are playing that negative setting of the ball.....if you keep playing to the wrong foot, it doesn't help with the speed of play but also can result in poor setting of the ball