Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
ETH isn't the first manager to bring former players to his new club. I don't see what the big deal is.

Clearly he has a particular style of player that he likes, and if it so happens that he feels his old players are better than what we currently have (for a fair price) then great.

In the future once he gets to know the players better, i'm sure he can scout others who can do the job.

buckooo1978

I think ETH will do a good job but when you see that tour squad you realise he will have a VERY tough task challenging for top 4.

Spurs look to me like they are gearing up for a very strong season and they will have a full preseason under Conte. Signings are giving them quality and depth.

Chelsea could drop away a little and they could have issues at CB. Thats our big hope I think but they will be solid enough even with 1 signing there.

We are pinning our hopes on ETH having a transformative effect on players like Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Dalot, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Rashford, VDB, Diallo, Martial and co.... none of whom have played to a good enough standard the last 12 months.... a very tough task

wolvored

He wants to implement a style that is alien to the vast majority of players at Utd, so the quickest way to achieve it is buying players who know the system and know TH. He then is hoping it rubs off on the players here around the ones he brings in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think ETH will do a good job but when you see that tour squad you realise he will have a VERY tough task challenging for top 4.

Spurs look to me like they are gearing up for a very strong season and they will have a full preseason under Conte. Signings are giving them quality and depth.

Chelsea could drop away a little and they could have issues at CB. Thats our big hope I think but they will be solid enough even with 1 signing there.

We are pinning our hopes on ETH having a transformative effect on players like Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Dalot, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Rashford, VDB, Diallo, Martial and co.... none of whom have played to a good enough standard the last 12 months.... a very tough task
Yep this year has to be look at a rebuild season.

We have to aim for top 4 next year and to re-establish our reputation. This yo-yo we keep doing in and out of the CL isn't helping at all.

croadyman

ETH isn't the first manager to bring former players to his new club. I don't see what the big deal is.

Clearly he has a particular style of player that he likes, and if it so happens that he feels his old players are better than what we currently have (for a fair price) then great.

In the future once he gets to know the players better, i'm sure he can scout others who can do the job.
I really hope so but concerned this is a pattern

croadyman

He obviously won't say it but surely he must be utterly fuming to only have one signing for the tour

city-puma

I think he is better to bring in two of his former players, with vdb, the transform to the system he wants us play will be quicker and more easier. It probably means we have to pay more than the market fair value though.

Betson

He obviously won't say it but surely he must be utterly fuming to only have one signing for the tour
I would suspect so , he is learning fast that things move very slow here and although we are a big club we are a bit of shambles in how we run it.

At least if we have a poor start to the season there is the excuse that we had a disjointed pre season. We love our excuses at this club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Predictably the "pundits" are criticizing him for his alleged rules. Anything to stick it to the new Manchester United manager.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I doubt it. He must know better than the fans how difficult the Frenkie deal is. Frenkie is the enabler of his system. That's why the other deals/players are supplementary of his approach.

If anything the reason why we have only 1 on tour is that ETH must have really stuck his neck out for wanting the Frenkie deal closed first.

AkaAkuma

It’s not always the case but when you get a foreign manager your likely going to be recruiting in the markets they know.
with more experience they will widen where they look for players.

i think most fans back ten hags philosophy and know we need somebody who can coach a playing style. But you also need to get on board with his current recruitment strategy and understand both his tactics and recruitment will adapt as he gains more experience in the prem.

In Rainbows

You cannot convince these people. Logic is not their strong suit, even if they weren't purposely trying to delude themselves we've somehow turned a corner despite all the evidence to the contrary.
But you're not using sound logic either. For example that post, by virtue of any player being good would count as a big name signing. Are you suggesting that any transfer that costs a lot is a big name signing?

I'm really trying to understand the argument. Thus far, the two conditions are any signing that costs a lot and a signing, who even if relatively cheap, so long as they are well known (which could mean any good player or any former good player), constitutes a big name signing.

The problem is, is that United have so many signings that don't fall under that criteria, but that were also failures. So who is to say which method is better? We've had Bailly, Dalot, Fred, Herrera, Darmian, Telles, etc...

What I think you (as in the people who are being negative) guys want, are successful transfers. However, how on earth do you suggest we prove that to be the case at this point in the transfer window? You're commenting on our transfer strategy and judging our current transfer strategy right now. What logic are you guys following for deciding whether or not one should feel optimistic or negative?

I'm honestly unsure of what you guys want. It just reeks of negativity for the sake of negativity. Even those of us who are being patient and allowing United to prove whether the new regime is doing a good job, is somehow labeled as using unsound logic. That to me sounds like you guys just want to moan, and you're not willing to listen to anything.

AdNani

I'm really not seeing the Hype with Spurs' window, Perisic is a good player. Bissouma, good player, Richarlison is painfully average and Lenglet is poor.

They've hardly improved there first 11, They'll be better because they'll have had a full pre season under Conte but, We'll be better with a full pre season with Ten Hag.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I dont see the problem with him bringing in players hes worked with previously. A manager needs to feel confident in his team and looking at the shit storm of a season we just had, maybe he thinks its better the devil you know with regards to players. At this point id be happy to take the whole of his Ajax team over our Underperforming FC :lol:

Dannn411

With the way the window is going, his first aim should just be to survive the initial onslaught that will inevitably come from his players and the media and the league. The current squad is not nearly competent enough to adapt quickly to his methods and with roadblocks in the way of key targets, expect a difficult start to life under the new boss. If he can survive the first half of the season, he'll be fine.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't care about the results this season - we need to stick behind this guy for a few years. Even in broken English you can get his passion, his work ethic, his desire to win.

Flexdegea

Don't care about the results this season - we need to stick behind this guy for a few years. Even in broken English you can get his passion, his work ethic, his desire to win.

This.

If anything he is going to bring back dominating football to the club given time, people need patience until he gets the right team in.

I expect us to see big difference on the pitch straight away on the ball but be up and down on the results front. Bit like klopp at Liverpool when he came in, felt like they either concede heavily or tank someone. I'm expecting the same depending on how many we bring in come end of of window.

Smores

With the way the window is going, his first aim should just be to survive the initial onslaught that will inevitably come from his players and the media and the league. The current squad is not nearly competent enough to adapt quickly to his methods and with roadblocks in the way of key targets, expect a difficult start to life under the new boss. If he can survive the first half of the season, he'll be fine.
That's where I'm at as well. Very optimistic for ETH but as fans I think we need to remember that doesn't mean the club are immune from criticism.

I'm yet to be convinced that the club are in a state to assist rather than hinder the manager. ETH I'm sure will let them know behind closed doors without being a dick.

studs

Looking at the photo again, not many player commit to that photo shot.

Marwood

What coaching badges do you hold again?
You don't need a certificate to know if a team can pass well or not. It's not that complicated.

There's still a very good chance more players will be coming in. Don't think we're pinning our hopes on any singular thing.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
completely off topic.....why the feck do Twitter add a video play button to a link that is actually never going to play a video? By adding a button you are actually driving content users away from your site :houllier:
I'm fairly sure it is added in the thumbnail by the club in order to direct traffic to the app.