Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Olecurls99

He was fecking tripe mate. Won feck all and set us back years.
Nah he was decent enough. The wheels came off with the Ronaldo signing. You don't finish 3rd and 2nd with any team in the PL if you're tripe. No way no how.

Revaulx

Precisely. It's a very irrational hatred for a former club legend.

There was clear progress -- especially when he had to deal with and pick up the pieces of a Jose mess plus the legacy players.
That’s very debatable. I know progress is rarely linear, but the prolonged spells of bad form and tendency to repeat the same mistakes again and again did cast doubt as to whether things would ever really improve.

There were undoubtedly occasions when it did look like progress was being made though. Most objective fans (yes there were some) thought that he definitely deserved another season following the strong finish to 19/20.

Its pointless to pick out the last few games of any manager's career at the club -- otherwise, they wouldn't have got the sack. It's the stats prior to the sacked seasons that you need to look at.
You’re right, but it doesn’t always happen that way. I’d wager that people remember Jose’s spectacular meltdown at Chelsea better than the previous season’s league title. Though maybe they wouldn’t if a similar thing hadn’t happened at United soon afterwards :)

At least ETH is lucky in that most of the legacy players/deadwoods have been cleared. Almost a clean slate as any manager has had before.
If people took the same view as I did with Ole from the start, which was that he was not appointed for footballing reasons, it’s actually not that hard to conclude that he did a reasonable job.

Olecurls99

5 years, no trophy. Before Ole came our crisis was not being able to win anything major. He completely destroyed that and now we cant win anything period. Make no mistake, the current streak with no trophy is entirely down to one man and one man alone, Ole. All the others have silverware to their name no matter how minor.
I would rather win the PL once in the next 20 years than 10 league cups. He did alright and then Ronaldo happened

Tony247

He was sacked in his last season and correctly so. The fella and me were talking about why he was kept not why he was sacked.

I don't and didn't consider it that ridiculous.
Fair point. I was honestly looking forward to the last season, then we signed sancho, varane, ronaldo and thought we can fly sky high, but instead we sky dived.

Anyway OT, let bygones be bygones.

Olecurls99

The 3rd was on goal difference and went down to the final day to get in the top four. 2nd was the COVID season - empty stadiums and got lucky with Liverpool's/Chelsea's issues.

Funny you leave out 7th last year, at the time he was sacked... Not to mention 0 trophies in 5 years.
Got the job in 2018 and left and rightly so in 2021 so not 5 years. I just can't stand people still having a go at him. Anyway like the fella says onwards and upwards

cyberman

The 3rd was on goal difference and went down to the final day to get in the top four. 2nd was the COVID season - empty stadiums and got lucky with Liverpool's/Chelsea's issues.

Funny you leave out 7th last year, at the time he was sacked... Not to mention 0 trophies in 5 years.
There was nothing lucky about Liverpool or (especially) Chelsea’s issues.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nah he was decent enough. The wheels came off with the Ronaldo signing. You don't finish 3rd and 2nd with any team in the PL if you're tripe. No way no how.
Well said

phelans shorts

Got the job in 2018 and left and rightly so in 2021 so not 5 years. I just can't stand people still having a go at him. Anyway like the fella says onwards and upwards
Yeah you’re totally right. He did well albeit with the caveat of always the bridesmaid until last year when we totally collapsed. I don’t get why people want to paint out that he had us fighting relegation every year, he’s still rightly a club legend who’s name will continue to be sung after he did a totally acceptable job as manager for 2 and a half years… until the last 6 months which saw him deservedly shown the door.

angak

Wow. What a breath of a fresh air.

Saying British players are overpriced and actually lack quality (lol @ Ole)
Saying that his plan is to win every game and sees things in long term and short term
Handling all the questions brilliantly (Ronaldo-saga, FDJ, Maguire)
Is confident of himself and explains things so smoothly

This guy will kick some ass.

I think we might have a generational manager on our hands. I've been reading heaps on him from his Go Ahead Eagles days to his most recent Ajax transformation and he has overachieved in every role.

The fact that he resigned from Go Ahead Eagles after he got them promoted to the first division to take up the job as under 23 manager of Bayern Munich to learn from Pep is a massive tick.

Reactions: Cheimoon

devips

All the Ole bashing from braindead Rangnick worshippers is a laugh.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I think we might have a generational manager on our hands. I've been reading heaps on him from his Go Ahead Eagles days to his most recent Ajax transformation and he has overachieved in every role.

The fact that he resigned from Go Ahead Eagles after he got them promoted to the first division to take up the job as under 23 manager of Bayern Munich to learn from Pep is a massive tick.
We haven't even played a competitive game yet.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The season he finished 3rd, he was actually 90 mins from finishing 5th. That too after shit loads spent.

The season he finished 2nd, it was an anomaly season of closed door stadiums, top 4 teams restarting their project + Liverpool having a major defensive crisis.

He's tripe. He won feck all, he coached feck all, he did feck all. I don't care where in the top 4 we finish if we show no progression on the pitch.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He was sacked in his last season and correctly so. The fella and me were talking about why he was kept not why he was sacked.

I don't and didn't consider it that ridiculous.
Fair enough,

I think even the seasons where we came 2nd and 3rd showed clear signs that he wasnt a top manager. Many gave argued it to death for years, he didnt do completely terribly though so in that sense it wasnt ridiculous agreed.

Ole in the end did far better than I thought he would, however it was still not good enough.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If you are blaming Ole's downfall on Ronaldo, you really need to wake up badly.

Where was Ronaldo when Ole bottled any chance of trophies a few months before?

Robbie Boy

He's come across really, really well so far.

He's such a breath of fresh air considering Ole, Ralf and Jose totally lacked any charisma whatsoever.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I personally don’t think so but each to their own.
I think it's the only reasonable current conclusion because of their achievements and the platform they have coached at.

Having watched Erik Ten Hag, I think ability wise he could very well be up there with them but obviously not in credentials and platform. But he has the opportunity to build that now.

It's a bit like Neymar when he went from Santos to Barcelona. Many would be reluctant to consider him one of the best because he only did it in Brazil, but as soon as he went to Europe and showed his ability, he was considered world class.

fezzerUTD

I think it's the only reasonable current conclusion because of their achievements and the platform they have coached at.

Having watched Erik Ten Hag, I think ability wise he could very well be up there with them but obviously not in credentials and platform. But he has the opportunity to build that now.

It's a bit like Neymar when he went from Santos to Barcelona. Many would be reluctant to consider him one of the best because he only did it in Brazil, but as soon as he went to Europe and showed his ability, he was considered world class.
I hope so too, im rather tired now of a) watching terrible football, and b) being a terrible club over the past 8/9 years.

OmarUnited4ever

Reading all these articles about Ten Hag's interview (Sky Sports & The Athletic), one thing that caught my eye was his insistence on demands and expectations in terms of fitness, and also in terms of performances on the training pitch and in games, he says (I have high standards because you are here, you are playing for Manchester United, then you must bring every day on the pitch. That is an expectation I have.)

I like that honestly, a manager should not tolerate players who do not bring it everyday, and I think the players know that, and have no choice but to accept it and give it their all, due to what happened last season, it is basically a final chance to many of the underperformers.

I also read his comments on Maguire, to me, I do not mind that, because I know Ten Hag's backing of Maguire is conditional, Maguire knows that he has to bring his very best at the minimum to remain a first choice player and a team captain.

Trex

Happy to let it go. He wasn't shite though. Like I said you don't get 2nd and 3rd in the best league in the world if you're shite. You just don't
Its binary with this fan base, ETH is currently great till he's shit too.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This has been a problem every season since Fergie left. The problem has always been a lack of creativity from deep, hopefully with a midfield of De Jong and Eriksen that will be solved.
I don't think lack of creativity from the deep is THE problem (remember we played Pogba in deep midfield quite a few times), it's more an issue caused by slow buildup play, and generally very poor movement up front, plus threat coming only from one wing. This can only be fixed by proper coaching.

dubplate warrior

City board are the same.
1st
1st
2nd
1st
1st
It really is the main thing
Well there is quite the difference there, but we were generally shite on the pitch for those with eyes. We pretty much never put on a run of games over a 3 year period where we played as a cohesive unit or showed basic patterns of play.

romufc

I don't think lack of creativity from the deep is THE problem (remember we played Pogba in deep midfield quite a few times), it's more an issue caused by slow buildup play, and generally very poor movement up front, plus threat coming only from one wing. This can only be fixed by proper coaching.
Agreed. We have had Pogba playing 6 for number of years and he is a creative player.

The issue is we have no patterns of play, which is what Ten Hag is working on with the players.

The problem with most United fans is we have seen such crap coaching over the last 5-6 years, we dont know what to expect.

For example; When Ten Hag talks, I get excited but then I have to hold myself back because Rangnick talked the talk but couldn't deliver.

We will know what has changed after 5/6 PL games.

Trex

Sure, because winning the league four times in five seasons might just be papering over the cracks too? Ridiculous comment.
What Ole offered wasn't ultimately good enough, but there's a huge gap between that and being "shite".

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Agreed. We have had Pogba playing 6 for number of years and he is a creative player.

The issue is we have no patterns of play, which is what Ten Hag is working on with the players.

The problem with most United fans is we have seen such crap coaching over the last 5-6 years, we dont know what to expect.

For example; When Ten Hag talks, I get excited but then I have to hold myself back because Rangnick talked the talk but couldn't deliver.

We will know what has changed after 5/6 PL games.
I have no doubt about Ten Hag abilities, but the flexibility of the team he has is a serious worry for me (Ronaldo, Bruno, AWB, 3 midfielders..). I don't think ETH can play "his" football with this bunch of players, so I'm not optimistic and have very low expectations for next season.
On the other hand, there's huge room for improvement with some proper coaching so that's something I'm looking forward to.

Pickle85

What Ole offered wasn't ultimately good enough, but there's a huge gap between that and being "shite".
Love the guy and he's a United legend for what he did as a player but he was a poor coach that capitalised on a feelgood wave at the same time as our top four rivals were spinning their wheels a bit. Should have won the Europa league at least, bought poorly and left a pretty poor dressing room behind him