Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Chief123

What’s really noticeable is how many options and players we have forward on every attack. It’s like a line of 5 players against their back line.

El Presidente

Yep. Ship out Ronaldo, get in Antony.

Have Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Antony as the front 4 rotating.

Try to bring in another striker when we get the chance, but I think we need to load Martial with love and expectation and he will repay that.

As long as we get the defence/midfield sorted we will score plenty of goals.
That would be madness. We sell our only actual striker and replace him with a winger?
Also, counting on Martial is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing all over again, expecting a different result. It's been what 6,7 years now? Maybe Phil Jones will eventually come good, as well.

Chief123

“DAVID WHAT THE FECK ARE YOU DOING!??” Love it.
That’s quality!

I bet these are the old habits ETH is referring to. ETH would probably always expect de gea to pass to the full back or someone in the backline in order to retain possession. De Gea just resorted to old habits of lumping it (which often come straight back at us). We’ve conceded so many goals from unforced errors by our defence/GK.

Blood Mage

He's no magician and it's clear that we have a lot of players who aren't good enough technically for the football he's trying to play.

He has massively improved our fitness levels and our off the ball movement though and it's a joy to behold after years of zombie football.

buchansleftleg

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far, but I think some are getting a bit carried away. He's got us passing quicker and got some actual running off the ball happening with the forwards. We are pressing in a reasonable way but we will still potentially be found out by better teams.

That's why I'm not getting carried away, because Erik has managed to get across probably the simplest pattern of play he had in his armoury. What I understand he was able to do with his Ajax team was to be able to adopt 3 or 4 different formations within a game to keep the opponents guessing and vary his approach.

We might be lucky and it may take a while before a team figures us out, or it could be the first week if we are unlucky. Either way it's important to keep in perspective any early defeats or setbacks. Right now I'll settle for good spells of play, good interactions and levels of intensity and effort from the team. If those can continue and grow then we will get somewhere.

My only other concern is the fragility of mindset of some of these players who have shown promise under Erik but been very inconsistent before....eg Martial, Rashford etc. I hope they can maintain that in adversity as well as when receiving praise.

SungSam7

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far, but I think some are getting a bit carried away. He's got us passing quicker and got some actual running off the ball happening with the forwards. We are pressing in a reasonable way but we will still potentially be found out by better teams.

That's why I'm not getting carried away, because Erik has managed to get across probably the simplest pattern of play he had in his armoury. What I understand he was able to do with his Ajax team was to be able to adopt 3 or 4 different formations within a game to keep the opponents guessing and vary his approach.

We might be lucky and it may take a while before a team figures us out, or it could be the first week if we are unlucky. Either way it's important to keep in perspective any early defeats or setbacks. Right now I'll settle for good spells of play, good interactions and levels of intensity and effort from the team. If those can continue and grow then we will get somewhere.

My only other concern is the fragility of mindset of some of these players who have shown promise under Erik but been very inconsistent before....eg Martial, Rashford etc. I hope they can maintain that in adversity as well as when receiving praise.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but this where ETH has to turn boys into men. He needs to find leaders among what he has. If he doesn't, he will need to bring in some in the next few windows.

All I know so far, that even though he has been implenting what should be the basics of football in passing, its taken us how many managers to do it? LVG, had the team passing the ball with no venom.

Even if expectations aren't met among most here, he needs the time and some money to get the key players to push forward.

I dont know much about Martinez, but I'm hoping he is has leadership capabilities. It only takes 2 or 3 imposing characters to keep a tight ship when things aren't going our way.

Last edited:

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I cant hear David at all. Sounds like Charlie.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Could be Charlie as he moves ahead and wasn’t available for pass when the ball was played back.

the_cliff

Yeah it was Charlie because he never gave DDG an option.

The way he's got us playing, I know it's only pre season but it's a cause for optimism.

Add Lisandro, Eriksen and hopefully FDJ we should be looking really good. Here's to hoping we find a way to get rid of Ronaldo.

Satissh12

He was also screaming Amad Amad, run run... this was during a counter attack around 85 mins. Noticed Elanga started sprinting on the other side as well

Gator Nate

He's no magician and it's clear that we have a lot of players who aren't good enough technically for the football he's trying to play.

He has massively improved our fitness levels and our off the ball movement though and it's a joy to behold after years of zombie football.
Thing is, this is a squad that got 2nd two years ago and 6th last year. When he's taken that and added the fitness and improved the off-ball movement, even this squad can do something most haven't believed in for a while. When you think of the games last we should have won but drew, and the games we should have drawn but lost, and the games we should have won but struggled and lost... just tip those a bit in our favor and the points start adding up quickly.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Add Lisandro, Eriksen and hopefully FDJ we should be looking really good. Here's to hoping we find a way to get rid of Ronaldo.
It would be interesting to see what the % of fans would prefer Ronaldo to leave now after how the team is playing

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I predict that Man United will finish higher in the table than Liverpool this season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No idea I thought he would be this good.

There’s improvement through coaching on every player from de gea to Martial.

the_cliff

It would be interesting to see what the % of fans would prefer Ronaldo to leave now after how the team is playing
Tbh I wanted him gone last season as well. In fact, I never really wanted him to join, could see the red flags from a mile away.

Sir Erik ten Hag

We forget how fractured and demorolised the team was after Jose done with them. The club as a whole too. He has to put things back together.
The reality was that even the hardcore Ole supporters never thought he was the most qualified or best coach in the world. But he did put the club back together after Jose.
I think Ole would have left a much better legacy if he resigned after that Europa League final, stating he had gone as far as he could with this squad. He would have been remembered MUCH more fondly without the last season.

Elcabron

:lol::lol::lol:

Love this
Don't mean to bash Ole but the difference in having a manager shouting instructions from the technical area during the game as opposed to sitting in the dugout watching the game on an ipad and staying quiet no matter what is huge.

Love it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Ole would have left a much better legacy if he resigned after that Europa League final, stating he had gone as far as he could with this squad. He would have been remembered MUCH more fondly without the last season.
True. But most managers are usually pushed out rather than willingly leave.