Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

crossy1686

career ending
Warming up to the idea that not seeing McTomminay, Shaw, Maguire, Fred and Rashford in the starting line up will do wonders for my mental health, even if the players in for them are players like Arnautovic

Adamsk7

Warming up to the idea that not seeing McTomminay, Shaw, Maguire, Fred and Rashford in the starting line up will do wonders for my mental health, even if the players in for them are players like Arnautovic
Absolutely! I think it’s only taken ETH one game to realise he needs the same, for his own sanity!

I like to imagine what the conversation with Arnold and Glazers went like post match. I bet he lost his shit :lol:

Tony247

When ETH said this in preseason I got worried but thought he might have a plan. Hope he is not a stubborn person to pursue the same. Fred can be useful as AM. He can also press higher up. But no way he is a DM or DLP/Holding midfielder.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolutely! I think it’s only taken ETH one game to realise he needs the same, for his own sanity!

I like to imagine what the conversation with Arnold and Glazers went like post match. I bet he lost his shit :lol:
I can imagine words along the lines of "have you seen the fecking state of them!" were screamed at some point.

But seriously, we should just go down the Barca route at this point, get a bunch of players with something to prove that aren't world class in for a couple of seasons, try and land the big names we want to replace them and then move them on in. If they bench the likes of Rashford and he can't get back in the team then they need to be sold on next summer also, we can't keep giving these lads a cushy number for years.

Sviken

These comments don't feel me with confidence. Another season of McFred.... I'm dreading this season already.

spiriticon

Testing your patience after 1 match? Good one.
Testing my patience after 1 match and some ridiculous transfer ideas.

In fact, the whole summer of transfer activity has been well dodgy apart from Malacia. I don't want to speculate how much EtH's stubborness was involved in it, but overall it is not impressive.

dubplate warrior

We finally have a manager worth giving time and backing. It's been one game and there'll be plenty of bumps on the road, but if we finish this season playing good football I'll be content. This is a long term project.

CarbonStoolBites

EtH needs to turn it around and show that he actually is a great manager. Right now his decisions in the last game were an anchor around our legs.
Turn what around? Its been literally one match. Its going to take years, literal years to turn this around.
I swear, you people are wild.

mctrials23

Do you know how I am least impressed with by a country mile? Our fans. Our idiot fans who are already starting to turn on the manager after a single fecking game. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sviken

Do you know how I am least impressed with by a country mile? Our fans. Our idiot fans who are already starting to turn on the manager after a single fecking game. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
That's not the case. I think everyone is just frustrated at the management and owners. Most understand the situation ten Hag has found himself in.

Azhar88

It was onside. In what world would we have a better chance of getting top four with our current options (exactly the same as last season) minus Ronaldo, last season's top scorer? He needs replacing but you're letting your dislike for him blind you to our lack of options.
United came 2nd two seasons ago without Ronaldo, but came 6th last season with him.

But the point I'm making and nobody seems to be getting it: the new manager needed to stamp his authority on the club like now. Dropping Ronaldo from the squad, for disciplinary reasons, would have done that - but I believe he came under pressure not to do so from the people above him. He wont get 5 years like Sir Alex, if we lose to Brentford which will be another close match early in the season, well the next match is Liverpool. United could be 9 points off the lead in August... that would immediately put ETH and the club into full-on crisis mode. He will be getting 'advice' from Gill/Ferguson/Robson (I still have no idea why) and there will be dressing room discontent, lead by Ronaldo, who wants to play in the CL & not spend one of his final seasons as a player battling it out in mid-table with Brighton, Wolves, Leicester, Aston Villa, Leeds and Brentford.

I can actually see ETH doing a Steve Coppell and walking away after a month, because he he will have realised he is in an impossible job that could tarnish his CV for the foreseeable. Although he will probably hang-on for 18 months, just to get the big pay-off and in 2024 the whole thing will start all over again.

This guy needs two years - we are in the wilderness at the moment. Disjointed squad, owners who are not interested in the football side of the business. Lets back him - there should be positivity about what hes trying to do. It takes time to change a culture. Fergies been gone 9 years - we are not the same UTD now. No point turning on this guy - Im 100% behind him and stevie mac. Europa cup here we come!!
Sir Alex Ferguson hasn't gone, in fact he was recently given more of a say in what happens at Old Trafford, despite the numerous mistakes he has made towards the end of his time as manager, during the last 9 years and also, most egregiously, in 2003.

Maticmaker

The best laid plans can fail at the 'first contact with the enemy', that is what happened to ETH on Sunday.

True his main 'chess piece' has yet to arrive (FDJ) and we are not even sure if he ever will, so then some significant/radical changes are necessary immediately.

Significant changes will need to be made and it looks like Bruno will suffer now. When he arrived he was like a 'Catherine wheel' firework ' constantly spinning and firing all over the pitch' at his best igniting others around him, at his worst just dropping off the radar for a while, but now he's just spinning intermittently and it seems without purpose.

If ETH wants to have a 'pass and move' approach for getting us up the pitch, then its Bruno who will be sacrificed

tomaldinho1

Genuinely what were some of you expecting, that we would have a new style up and running by the FIRST game of the season after a shortened pre season? Brighton normally outplay us, they are a good team who generally struggle to score but they cause everyone problems, we have a tough start to the season. We all know there are passengers in our team, we all know they've basically been taught to sit in and lump long balls on the counter for 5 years, this is going to take time. There's going to be a lot of similarities with LVG's football, we just have to hope the recruiting side is better. I can see us losing to Brentford and Pool and everyone throwing their toys out the pram, it really doesn't matter - the scale of the task shouldn't be underestimated by anyone.

I also think that a single transfer, replacing McT with any good, doesn't even need to be world class, CM will transform us. Almost everything should be building through him in this system and he simply isn't good enough to play that role, he is the one player I think we just have to sign a body to replace rather than have a specific target in mind. Literally anyone we've been linked with will do.

dubplate warrior

Turn what around? Its been literally one match. Its going to take years, literal years to turn this around.
Its really bonkers isn't it. I'm upset and disheartened about the first game but some of the stuff I'm seeing is bonkers. It's a long season people! Let's see how many bodies we've got in by the end of the window.

RopersReturn

You could put Pep,Klopp, Conte etc, in charge and it wouldn’t change a thing. This remnant is the core of a Morinho/Ole squad which was already an unbalanced mess to begin with.
The big problem now seems that these players have dug in and taken control. They certainly don’t like being told what to do or how to play. If ETH becomes a problem they’ll just force him out like they did with Rangnick.

spiriticon

The days of this club supporting the manager through thick and thin are long gone. We've gone through so many sackings in the last decade that we can't really claim that high horse any more, in my opinion. I don't see any particular manager as being 'the one we have to support no matter what'. EtH is simply 'the one we have now'.

If he does well, fantastic. If not, there'll be another one after him. He can have some time (not infinite) to implement a style, but he needs to be more careful with the transfer strategy because if he signs shite and he still doesn't do well, the stench lingers after he's sacked because our club is hopeless at moving players on.

I mean, look at Phil Jones who's STILL here, for fecks sake. And that was Fergie's shite!

crossy1686

career ending
It’s becoming rapidly clear that Ten Hag was not responsible for signing players at Ajax.

Life’s a lot easier when you’ve got Overmars and VDS setting the team up for you.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think Ten Hag is going to struggle with the level of PC in England. I don't think he has questionable morality at all but his defense of Overmars and his courting of Arnautovic has to make you wonder if he values football more than he should? He needs to win a lot or the scum journos will use this stuff against him and I hope he has been briefed to not talk about Greenwood at all.

Redderp

Turn last season around. No one is expecting us to challenge for the league, but give me a break. We had a whole preseason and we come out and play worse than last season with tactics that made even less sense. EtH needs to show that we are at least a bit better than last season.

And no it’s not going to take years to make us play better than last season. If you actually think that then something surely is wrong with you. I swear you people are dumb.

AjaxNL

As good a manager as I think Ten Hag is, he does seem to have some of the same flaws hé had as a Ajax manager. The interest in Arnautovic… you couldn’t make that stuff up. What was he thinking? He die the same at Ajax and went for quite a few former players, all of whom flopped hard *** Ajax (Labyad, Klaiber, Promes, Haller to some extend). Weird thing is, everybody saw it coming, except for himself..

Idxomer

As good a manager as I think Ten Hag is, he does seem to have some of the same flaws hé had as a Ajax manager. The interest in Arnautovic… you couldn’t make that stuff up. What was he thinking? He die the same at Ajax and went for quite a few former players, all of whom flopped hard *** Ajax (Labyad, Klaiber, Promes, Haller to some extend). Weird thing is, everybody saw it coming, except for himself..
I agree with your post about his recruitment but Haller didn't flop in any way.

mctrials23

The days of this club supporting the manager through thick and thin are long gone. We've gone through so many sackings in the last decade that we can't really claim that high horse any more, in my opinion. I don't see any particular manager as being 'the one we have to support no matter what'. EtH is simply 'the one we have now'.

If he does well, fantastic. If not, there'll be another one after him. He can have some time (not infinite) to implement a style, but he needs to be more careful with the transfer strategy because if he signs shite and he still doesn't do well, the stench lingers after he's sacked because our club is hopeless at moving players on.

I mean, look at Phil Jones who's STILL here, for fecks sake. And that was Fergie's shite!
Oh thats my point, you support the manager until it becomes apparent that he is the issue and what is holding you back. We have utter bellends complaining that the manager isn't up to it after a single game against a good and well drilled opposition. Mind bogglings.

Conversely, we should have sacked Ole after the first season when it was very clear that he wasn't up to the job of adding value to the players or getting them to play football that could win major trophies.

There has to be a sensible balance like there is at all top teams.

What worries me is that our "fans" will make EtHs job 10x harder because they are not backing him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Seriously? If this is true then it's really incompetent of Murtough to blindly back him in signing players he's worked with

VanBasten

Supports
Ajax
Marin as well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
When ETH said this in preseason I got worried but thought he might have a plan. Hope he is not a stubborn person to pursue the same. Fred can be useful as AM. He can also press higher up. But no way he is a DM or DLP/Holding midfielder.

In the squad he is the closet currently to what Ten Hag needs in that role, quite obviously he envisaged FDJ in the role and not Fred

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I agree with your post about his recruitment but Haller didn't flop in any way.
He really did, to the point that most Ajax fans are glad he's been sold.
Ajax fans have special demands for a striker. Haller only scored some goals. So the stats look great, but he didn't really contribute to the team any other way and besides scoring a lot of goals, he missed a lot of 100% chances.

spiriticon

Oh thats my point, you support the manager until it becomes apparent that he is the issue and what is holding you back. We have utter bellends complaining that the manager isn't up to it after a single game against a good and well drilled opposition. Mind bogglings.

Conversely, we should have sacked Ole after the first season when it was very clear that he wasn't up to the job of adding value to the players or getting them to play football that could win major trophies.

There has to be a sensible balance like there is at all top teams.

What worries me is that our "fans" will make EtHs job 10x harder because they are not backing him.
Unfortunately that's the pressure that comes with a United that that has won feck all of note in a decade, its not unusual. There's not been a single manager since Fergie left who has not experienced this pressure. Moyes, LvG, Jose, Ole and Rangnick all had a large section of doubters which eventually swallowed them. There hasn't been a coach who's received 100% backing from the fans.

He will have to overcome it. If he cannot, he just becomes another one in the long line of coaches who have been swallowed by the history of the club and the expectations of the fans.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
-Sudden adoption of a false 9 tactic outta nowhere
-McFred, Maguire and Shaw still first choice
-Not vetoing, potentially even suggesting, signing Arnautovic and/or Rabiot

Really testing my patience here. He better know what he is doing.
90 minutes into the season, extraordinary patience indeed.

Strootman's Finger

It’s becoming rapidly clear that Ten Hag was not responsible for signing players at Ajax.

Life’s a lot easier when you’ve got Overmars and VDS setting the team up for you.
It's not becoming rapidly clear, it's a well known fact, Overmars brought in the players.

spiriticon

90 minutes into the season, extraordinary patience indeed.
He's only testing it, hasn't broke it yet. Not by a long way. I still have a lot of time for him.

But if he keeps insisting on targeting players like Arnautovic, the end is probably nigh.

Idxomer

He really did, to the point that most Ajax fans are glad he's been sold.
Ajax fans have special demands for a striker. Haller only scored some goals. So the stats look great, but he didn't really contribute to the team any other way and besides scoring a lot of goals, he missed a lot of 100% chances.
I don't rate him high either but it doesn't matter, his scoring record and the fact he was sold for profit means he wasn't a flop.

spiriticon

Who do you think will want to work for the Glazer cancer?
What the last decade has taught me is that there will always be some cnut out there who fancies himself as 'The One', comes in to great fanfare, sacks the entire backroom staff on Day One, buys 100m worth of players we can't get rid off, then proceeds to fail as badly as those before him.

Yup, as you can tell, I'm pretty sick of the last 10 years :lol:

spiriticon

90 fecking minutes NINETY feckING MIMUTES.
I don't actually CARE about that Brighton result. We lost, big deal.

It's the transfer nonsense after the game which really pissed me off. If the whole plan was always "Frenkie or bust", fine, then let's not panic about transfers after ONE game

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
-Sudden adoption of a false 9 tactic outta nowhere
-McFred, Maguire and Shaw still first choice
-Not vetoing, potentially even suggesting, signing Arnautovic and/or Rabiot

Really testing my patience here. He better know what he is doing.
I am upset as well, but this is a stretch. The false 9 is due to having negative options in attack, and like it or not McFred is still the only midfield we have. Maguire and Shaw should have started, as evidence by Malacia's struggles when he came on and Varane not fully fit/not been as good as Maguire anyway.

Arnautovic is entirely on him and that is quite a red flag for me, as is not signing a midfielder unless it's FDJ. I hope he learns fast, because this is a job where the good will is all but gone from the fans and the media would love nothing more than to watch him fail.

He made a point to wanting help with knowing the league, so it is really bizarre we have gone into it ignoring all the advice that is out there...

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
What the last decade has taught me is that there will always be some cnut out there who fancies himself as 'The One', comes in to great fanfare, sacks the entire backroom staff on Day One, buys 100m worth of players we can't get rid off, then proceeds to fail as badly as those before him.

Yup, as you can tell, I'm pretty sick of the last 10 years :lol:
If we wanted proof of the incompetence of these scum who own us, just look at the panic mode of trying to get players in.
This should have been addressed before the pre season even started.
Ralf's report for which he was fired was the go to document that detailed how deep a shit we were in, in as far as the squad was concerned.
Yet. They place this artificial budget to operate within.
The FdJ situation is a failure of the people the Glazers appointed to negotiate.
In business there is always a back up plan. Credible substitutes.
Even in the current situation, it would be cheaper to pay the deferred wages to get the transfer over the line.

Mourinho was right. The club is run as business. Not a football club.

But hey. They took over the club 'legally' so they cannot be all bad right?