Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We spent the summer saying "things might get worse before they get better" and "give ETH time".

We are 1 and a half games in (yes terrible performances) and people are calling him De Boar and saying he needs to go :lol:
Whilst I agree, I’m not sure getting outplayed by Brighton and 4-0 down at half time to Brentford was ever going to inspire patience.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Bringing on three subs at half time like the entire squad isn’t infected. Poor fella.

hn4united

it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I’m not sure if ETH is going last long enough to make a difference.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Too early to judge but keeping Maguire as captain and starting him in both matches raises question marks. He's a laughing stock, all other fans are having a field day. It's multiple mistakes every match.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
You have to ask a pertinent question what is the real problem? can't be all down to Ole, Rangnick, and now EtH?

BlueHaze

The fact the club cannot close deals doesn’t mean he didnt have his priorities right
It is not easy to close a deal for a person who doesn't want to come here. FDJ will have a heap of alternatives should he leave Barca. Why on earth would he come to this shit show?

TGod

Guys, calm down and think. We all agreed to give him time. Let the guy work. I think he underestimated the intensity of the premier league. Also man utd's luck is shit, eth will adapt in no time

Jezpeza

Absolutely torn apart by Brighton and Brentford. They are mid table teams so I guess that makes us bottom 6 atm?

Swedish_Plumber

Back him. Don’t care how bad it gets this season. There have been too many scapegoats for the real problem so far.

Anyways we’d be lucky if he didn’t walk. He’s far better than this shower of shite.

Fooza

You have to ask a pertinent question what is the real problem? can't be all down to Ole, Rangnick, and now EtH?
Everyone knew it was the players, Ralf said it, why has the board and EtH been so relaxed in not acting swiftly this window, it's bizarre. I feel for EtH but at the same time, I think he's been naive in thinking he could make this team do better.

marktan

He was doomed the minute he decided we needed to sign yet another CB for 50m. I said as much. It's just stupid.

AndySmith1990

I imagine you could write a dissertation or two on all of the underlying issues and decisions that have contributed to our decline over the last decade. It's a complete mess from top to bottom

Pickle85

Martinez was great at Ajax, because they generally dont get into physical battles to begin with and if they do domestically Martinez' tenacity is enough to bully the lightweights in our league. His footballing ability is very good, also good enough for the premier league, but not good enough to negate his size I suspect. He's no Kante.
Thanks, that's interesting yet also depressing. Can you just tell me that he's a Kante regen, stroke my hair and tell me that it's all going to be alright?!

Classical Mechanic

He overestimated the United squad. His Ajax teams wouldn't have struggled against Brighton and Brentford. But those Ajax squads was purposefully built for his style. This United squad very much not
See I disagree. Football is about confidence. If all these players were at the top of their game then we'd be winning this game easily. When you're in the Dutch league and better than the opposition by a margin every week then your confidence if pumping. That's carried into the CL. How many players from recent Ajax side were not Premier League flops previously or have failed when they've gone to big sides in big leagues? I don't think any have been bona fide successes. You can argue about De Ligt and De Jong but I'd still have them as disappointing overall in relation to their hype when they were at Ajax. Personally I think if you'd put his Ajax team from last season actually in the PL then they wouldn't do that well because they'd be facing much bigger questions every week. I accept that I have no way of proving this theory so you're well within your rights to disagree with me.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It is not easy to close a deal for a person who doesn't want to come here. FDJ will have a heap of alternatives should he leave Barca. Why on earth would he come to this shit show?
And thats the only deal is it?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Stop overreacting with "De Boer vibes", "ETH is already a failure" or other nonsense. It's his 2nd game in charge and he inherited a completely broken team. We have been a laughing stock for 10 years now, did you expect him to come here and magically fix it immediately? IF he manages to achieve something here (and of course there are no guarantees that he will), it will take quite some time to see progress.
I dont believe we were a laughing stock for the last 10 years. We have Gotten 2nd in the premier league twice, winning the europa league, and few more micky mouse trophies. I would love if we can get to that level again. But, we have been a laughing stock the majority of the time with the expected standards of our club

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think there is defiantly an argument that Ten Hag has underestimated the step up in quality between the Dutch league and the premier league

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
See I disagree. Football is about confidence. If all these players were at the top of their game then we'd be winning this game easily. When you're in the Dutch league and better than the opposition by a margin every week then your confidence if pumping. That's carried into the CL. How many players from recent Ajax side were not Premier League flops previously or have failed when they've gone to big sides in big leagues? I don't think any have been bona fide successes. You can argue about De Ligt and De Jong but I'd still have them as disappointing overall in relation to their hype when they were at Ajax. Personally I think if you'd put his Ajax team from last season actually in the PL then they wouldn't do that well because they'd be facing much bigger questions every week. I accept that I have no way of proving this theory so you're well within your rights to disagree with me.
It's not about individual players it's about a team. A team with average players that work well together is better than a team with all star players that don't work together.
So yes Ajax' side would do better with this tactical style than this United squad.
There is only 2 options, either Ten Hag changes his tactics or the board will have to splash the cash to get Ten Hag the players he needs for his style.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think there is defiantly an argument that Ten Hag has underestimated the step up in quality between the Dutch league and the premier league
I think he more likely underestimated how weak mentally the squad he inherited is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So what’s your solution? Find a manager which keeps us playing archaic, inferior football because we get better results but without doubt continue to win nothing?

Or, just maybe, we should for once hold firm that our way of playing must develop. And forget about results today, next week, or even this year, and put the time and effort it takes to rebuild this whole abomination to get to a competitive modern position?
Totally agree

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Players gave up last season under 2 different managers.

It’s the players. Compounded by leech owners.
Some players that ETH are familiar with dont even look as good. Martinez signed by him looks bad so far and Van de Beek can't even get in the team ahead of Eriksen. Same with malancia who he rated highly. The manager definitely is not free of blame

Fooza

I'm all for buying players that he wants

but look at the players we're linked with, there's also a major risk we buy them and they're worse in the PL. I still think we need to back him and let him die with the players he bought though, so there's no excuses I guess.

If EtH doesn't work out with a team full of his players, it'll be another 5 yrs process getting rid of them. Fecking pray he works here