Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope he gets the time and we see lot of movement in the transfer market.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Agree, we need a whole new spine also
Absolutely. Unfortunately can’t see that though has every manager thinks they need to start Maguire. Only way he doesn’t start is if he gets red carded and then hopefully a new cb pairing can form.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Undoubetdly and his transfer targets have indicated as such alongside our first two performances. Hope is he will learn as it is early days and our tranfer activity thus far has been poor.
Yeah when we brought him we assumed it would be as Coach and he wouldn’t be in charge of transfers … but I think we all under estimated how useless Murtough is

OleGunnar20

Back him all the way I say. What's the alternative? Get rid and watch the next doomed middle aged man give 14th chances to the likes of Shaw, Maguire, McTom et al .. no thanks.

lsd

The Oracle
What exactly is the blame?

How about there not being even a sign of any tactical style of play or plan?

Chasing De Jong all window ignoring any other player we could have had in the team for the start of the season.

Wanting Arnautovic, playing a Five foot 8 centre back against Brentford

Making Maguire Captain, dropping Varane and using Erikksen as a defensive midfielder

Then players are shocking yes but Ten Hag has not covered himself in glory either.

The jury is very much out on him

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Same question as with Rangnick, why is he still persisting with some of these players.

Giving the players a clean slate could cost him his job.
Because he has to. This squad is thin, there's no budget for a complete overhaul and United are shit in getting rid of players, let alone get some money for them in return. He's stuck with this lot.

SirScholes

Arrogance full on display by giving starts to players we know have become completely hopeless (Maguire, Bruno, Dalot, Shaw). I don't know if it would have made a difference but not meeting Ralf was weird at the time.
Maybe he could have emphasized to him how truly shit some of these players truly are.
Was Martinez really that needed instead of midfielders ?
he is short on options although Malacia has to start for me and sack off shaw

He is trying to sign midfielders as well

BlueHaze

Think the first time ever 95% of the fanbase agreed this was the guy to bring in out of the available options and what we have seen so far is unlike anything we have ever seen. Not even under Moyes or LVG did we start a season this bad.

So far he legitimately makes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer look like a genius. An absolute nightmare. I do not know what is wrong with him to give so many of the cnuts a clean slate.

It will and probably already has cost him his job.

Tony247

At least RR was absolutely ruthless and didn't try to sugarcoat these turds.

ETH needs someone like Overmars at United. Ralf could have been a good choice.

I don't know I am just throwing up my thoughts here. But one thing I am absolute certain is that we need a top down approach. Have to change the people managing this club. Players are just the reflection of their mistakes. This is the level of these players. Can't fault them anymore.

mancan92

Again, a genuine question, what should he do? He clearly wasn't given the funds for a proper rebuild and no one have been offering Maguire, Shaw and McTominay lucrative contracts trying to steal them away from us.

If he looks equally clueless at the second half of the season, without any youngsters introduces in the squad etc., you can certainly blame him for failing. At this point he's been given a toxic unmotivated and mostly mediocre squad in the worst mental state imaginable.
Why is maguire still captain? Please tell me? Thats an easy decision. He is clearly can't motivate anyone and is barely good enough. Why would you keep him as captain?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I can’t believe that people are really writing him off, especially since we’ve seen how this squad crumbles under pressure regardless of who the manager is.

Short-term criticism is alright, he barely did anything right man-management-wise, but we’re yet to see how he would proceed to implement his vision.
I'm not writing him off by any means but it seems no one, manager or player, no matter how good, survives the atmosphere of failure and ineptitude at United.

Holocene

Three man midfield is the way to go but not with Bruno, Eriksen and Fred. In his defence, I'm not sure what the alternative is with the players at his disposable. We need two midfield transfers ASAP.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Because he has to. This squad is thin, there's no budget for a complete overhaul and United are shit in getting rid of players, let alone get some money for them in return. He's stuck with this lot.
There were reports that he clarified all this stuff before and would only take the job if money was there for new players.

Hes either been stitched up or is a coward.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
No one can tell me these players can't be better than 0-4 against Brentford. Not talking about a league challenge here, just being competitive against Brighton and Brentford.

At the same time, it didn't work for Ole, Rangnick and now ETH. Something's got to give, what exactly is wrong with us?

OleksUsykUD

This was my fear to be fair and i have said this many times. I never liked the so call attacking manager that forget about defense. This can only work with managers like Klopp, but he is just 1, and most of the attacking minded managers are failing miserably when they took a charge in a big club or in a big league.

And don't start with Guardiola, cause he is failing big time in CL, even though he have unlimited money and while reigning in the PL, this is mainly because his squad is so so much better and have insane depth full of quality. At times he have 2x starting teams full of quality.

And even then Guardiola and Klopp have managed to work, cause they have build solid defenses.

With all due respect to ETH, but this ain't the Dutch league, where there is 1-2 teams and they don't know what defense and tactics means.

The terrible start of the season is all on him, and it's all on him, because of his ridiculous fetish for Frankie De Jong, who was crystal clear from the get going that he want to stay at Barca. It was obvious that we lost our heads, because Barcelona was telling us they want to sell him, and we expected them to force him out. This ruined our whole transfer summer.

The next big mistake was getting short and slow defender like Lisandro Martinez.

And this may sound harsh, but this is also a big reality check to pretty much more than 60% of the people on here, who obviously show that they have deep lacking of football knowledge wanted ETH to come, instead of Conte, and even dare to compare the two. There is no comparison at all.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How about there not being even a sign of any tactical style of play or plan?

Chasing De Jong all window ignoring any other player we could have had in the team for the start of the season.

Wanting Arnautovic, playing a Five foot 8 centre back against Brentford

Making Maguire Captain, dropping Varane and using Erikksen as a defensive midfielder

Then players are shocking yes but Ten Hag has not covered himself in glory either.

The jury is very much out on him
Tactical plan in 2 games? Nice , you are never going to see from any manager. Good luck with that .

How exactly do you know the rest of things are on him ? Midfield was one of the areas he wanted to strengthen and we still haven't done it. Blame it on whoever you want.

Tony247

Arteta was backed massively over some big decisions — Ozil, Aubameyang, Saliba (initially), Guendouzi etc. — will the club give ten Hag the same sort of backing if he wants to bin De Gea, Rashford, Maguire?
It would be interesting to find out whether ETH wants to do that.

NoLogo

Not impressed so far. Seems to get the league even less right than Rangnick. Very disappointing. Of course, the shite players and our complete failure in the transfer market aren't making things easy for him but with him starting early I really had hoped for some improvement in the team, so far absolutely non is in sight.

rpitchfo

I think it will take him a little while to work out the premier league. Physicality, intensity, you have to win those battles before you can impose your tactical advantages. Plenty of new managers have had to navigate that baptism of fire.

What I won't wait for is ETH persisting in players who cashed all their goodwill chips two or more years ago. If we are going to lose anyway use some different players.

Ted Lasso

Moyes like arrogance to dismiss the chance to meet with Rangnick for advice and come up with his own transfer list at the last hour.

He's a good manager but the task at hand became incredibly harder with those decisions. The club doesn't help but I sure as anything hope they'll give him time. I will be patient but critical as anything. Let's hope he is ruthless.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes, seriously ? It's shit. He's not respecting the opponent nor the league with these formations.
Formations ? I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Tactical setup, style- it's fecking 2 matches and you will see plenty of mistakes. If you aren't ready for that, stay out of it. If it makes you any better, this is going to get embarrassingly bad before it gets better.

Holocene

Arteta was backed massively over some big decisions — Ozil, Aubameyang, Saliba (initially), Guendouzi etc. — will the club give ten Hag the same sort of backing if he wants to bin De Gea, Rashford, Maguire?
Do we even know he wants to get rid of those players? Seems like wishful thinking more than anything.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I was ridiculed when I said the only manger that can sort out shower of shite was Diego someone. Ohhhhh but noooo, we don't want that type of manager here. We want hipsters. Well how's that working out??

OleksUsykUD

Again, a genuine question, what should he do? He clearly wasn't given the funds for a proper rebuild and no one have been offering Maguire, Shaw and McTominay lucrative contracts trying to steal them away from us.

If he looks equally clueless at the second half of the season, without any youngsters introduces in the squad etc., you can certainly blame him for failing. At this point he's been given a toxic unmotivated and mostly mediocre squad in the worst mental state imaginable.
Maybe not trying to spend all of our budget on 1 player ? It's not like there wasn't plenty of options for decent money, like Bissouma, a player in a position we need.

Maybe not get his buddy Martinez for 60m., when he is short and slow as hell for defender? That was never going to work in the PL.

Maybe not being stubborn and wait and wait and wait for 1 player that was obvious from the get going for people who are not bias, that just didn't want to come here?

And maybe realize this ain't the Dutch league, we should have never be playing that open.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'll back him until the season ends... but have to say, he has the worst possible start as manager of Man Utd.

Castia

It’s like Pep managing Derby. He can tell them how to play all week in training but on match day when they’re asked to play out from the back they’ll absolutely feck it up.

ETH’s major feck up was signing a CB for 55m. We are not in a position to have Varane on the bench that money should be spent elsewhere.