Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That super high line for a starter. You don't play a super high line with two slow CB. Then trying to play out from the back with DDG. Even my dog knows his distribution is shit. Then play a short CB in the fecking PL. Probably the first time someone did so in the PL ever.

And tbh do anyone here has an idea what was our offensive plan?
Every single team that is top quality plays from the back. So ask yourself, is the right answer to not do so to try and perhaps win a couple games now and keep our backward style, or do we stick to modernising, maybe losing some now, but showing these frauds that no matter what they gotta get better or they’ll be out the door? We are not winning shutting any time soon. Nor getting top 4. It is pointless to sacrifice real change to do marginally better now.

Strelok

I dont know what your dog knows so let's keep him out of the discussion. Distribution was only one of the reasons for the goal. How exactly would you define other mistakes? Lack of concentration? Lack of shot stopping skill ?
You're not in the state for a good discussion. We should stop here.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
We have the right manager and the wrong virtually everything else,

dave2528

No question ETH is a capable manager, but he needs to immediately admit he can't fix the players we have and start removing the worst of the rot from the squad.

Play the kids. Recall Henderson. Shoot Maguire and Shaw off in a rocket straight into the sun.

We need drastic changes ASAP.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
To be honest I, for one, think ETH needs to be given time. However, as fans we must be willing to call things out even it that means criticising the manager when he deserves it. I have no idea what targets have been set for ETH this season., but at the end of the season his performance should be assessed in light of them. It is fairly clear that Ten Hag has taken on a challenge far bigger than even he imagined. If he is up to challenge it is going to take a while, there is no doubt about that. But he needs to be given the time.
The fundamental issue on this forum right now is that too many people are focussing on the wrong things when deciding what those goals are. For me, it should all about how he’s driving change, not results.

Orange Tree

Because he has to. This squad is thin, there's no budget for a complete overhaul and United are shit in getting rid of players, let alone get some money for them in return. He's stuck with this lot.
There is no budget because we are parking the money for a midfielder who may not even want to come.

There are players like Malacia on the cheap, who probably is not up to the standard we want to achieve yet, but still has a lot of room to improve and he might just grow with the team.

city-puma

Again, a genuine question, what should he do? He clearly wasn't given the funds for a proper rebuild and no one have been offering Maguire, Shaw and McTominay lucrative contracts trying to steal them away from us.

If he looks equally clueless at the second half of the season, without any youngsters introduces in the squad etc., you can certainly blame him for failing. At this point he's been given a toxic unmotivated and mostly mediocre squad in the worst mental state imaginable.
He apparently underestimated the physical part of EPL from these two games. It’s ok. My worry is how quickly he learns and finds the solution.
the whole thing is very complicated and difficult. DDG let the whole team down today. I don’t know if he will still want to transfer our play style. We don’t even have much chance to try it over these two games. Next few games are more difficult than these.

yeti

ETH massively underestimated the the size of the task with this group of players. The good news is I think it dawned on him after the first 45 today., Lets see where this goes. He needs proper backing from the board but needs to get the recruitment right. Its a tall order we've moved too slowly to overhaul this squad. wish him well choppy seas ahead

Atheist

He really has to take blame for the transfer strategy so far. Imagine thinking De Jong or Rabiot are the only players out there who’d improve our midfield.

Rauður Djöfull

hoping some of his decisions have been to send a message to the board

a real statement would be to play only kids against liverpool but people will say it's no good as they will get thrashed and it won't be good for them but I think they would do better, or try more at least and they would learn from it, also a chance to see who can take a step up

Heinzesight

Needs the season. The mentality needs fixing. These are mainly better players than Brentford but they can’t regroup or get their heads back in the game if we go 1-0 down and if we concede a quick fire second goal then it’s game over.

Mentality muppets.

Didn't think the red tops cracked United badge would be out so early though.

Newtonius

We knew last month he was doomed to fail this squad is worse than it has ever been he needs a hell of a lot more, no matter how good you are/think you are not a manager on this planet would win against an incompetent structure, a greedy ownership and an ill equipped squad that no self respecting quality player would want to join.

In other words its beyond FOOLISH to directly blame him, he is going in to a boxing match blindfolded with both hands tied behind his back.

mikeyt

It's two games, yes it's shit but to lose faith in the guy already is pitiful. Support the bloke! The players aint up to it, we know that but he can't buy a new squad in a window and we're going to have some shockers along the way but hopefully he can implement his play style and we'll see younger players brought in along with new signings.

But it's critical and I mean critical that we get four more in this window. If ETH has a relationship with FDJ he should ring him tonight and ask him outright if he's going to come or not and if not move on and get this squad stronger.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You're not in the state for a good discussion. We should stop here.
Nice. So relax and calm down. We will get thrashed by Liverpool next week. Don't be part of the journey if you are not patient. It's going to be painful.

Tony247

He doesn't need 100 games in the league to realize that playing with no defensive midfielders in front of a 2 slow defenders, one of them is a midget, in an away game in PL is a fecking suicide.

If he doesn't have a defensive midfielder he should have played with at least 3 defenders and throw in Varane in the mix to offer some more protection. Yet, he left the defense with zero cover with such awful tactical setup.

What, it's as if he thinks he's still managing in Netherlands. Huge disrespect to the opponent and the league.

I'm ready for mistakes but I'm not ready for awful tactics.
He played McFred in first match. Our two de facto DMs. That didn't work. So today he tried one at a time. That didn't work either.

But I agree with you. This is EPL and a top team needs a top CDM. ETH ignored that and here we are.

SirScholes

Bruh, look at Dalot and tell me what are the odds Laird can be worse than that. If you don't test these kids, you will never find out if they've got it or not specially when the starters are pure garbage
He’s not going to do it in his first two games though is he
hindsight is wonderful

he also can’t do anything about de gea letting in a soft goal and Eriksen scuffing a pass

Strelok

Every single team that is top quality plays from the back. So ask yourself, is the right answer to not do so to try and perhaps win a couple games now and keep our backward style, or do we stick to modernising, maybe losing some now, but showing these frauds that no matter what they gotta get better or they’ll be out the door? We are not winning shutting any time soon. Nor getting top 4. It is pointless to sacrifice real change to do marginally better now.
Of course I'd love us to play some modern football. But as a manager you gotta do what you can with what you have first. Anyway you could notice in the second half we stopped trying to play out from the back. He knew he made a mistake.

Tbh I like ETH and I do want him to make it here. But if he keeps making these mistakes he won't last long here.

redshaw

He needs help from others if he is to get the right players in and turn this around fully but also it's a real learning curve to see what the top level requires for ten Hag. I feel a bit for him as everywhere he looks there's poor and soft players and he's trying to be positive and use what he's got and will need so much time to repair and many are unable to be fixed and need shipping out.

LordSpud

Bet that dossier that Ten Hag gave to Murtough and Fletcher didnt once feature the names Arnautovic or Rabiot. Probably not even Martinez. But we all like Plan C's and D's at this club!!

Ralph1386

Does ETH still believe what the club have told him ==> that this team is good enough because it was second two seasons ago? I bet he realizes he’s been duped.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Since Mourinho we have been a counter attacking manager. Ole was counter attacking and then Rangnick gave up on pressing after two games when he saw us.

To play attacking possession football we need a different set of players. Having said that i wouldnt be surprized if ETH is sacked before this happens.

ravi2

At least RR was absolutely ruthless and didn't try to sugarcoat these turds.

ETH needs someone like Overmars at United. Ralf could have been a good choice.

I don't know I am just throwing up my thoughts here. But one thing I am absolute certain is that we need a top down approach. Have to change the people managing this club. Players are just the reflection of their mistakes. This is the level of these players. Can't fault them anymore.
Most if not all of the United fanbase agrees with you at this point