Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dinostar77

Good Analysis onnthe game yesterday. Just drives home the point of how utterly important frenkie is to ETH style of play.

Also maguire was at fault for three of the goals, including the first one that went under de gea.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I've never felt so sorry for a manager in my entire life. I can genuinely feel the disappointment and bitterness of Ten Hag, who is used to completely different standards and now has to deal with levels of mediocrity from his team. He absolutely didn't expect and still can't believe he is witnessing them.

Dear Erik, what to say… You’ve done great things at Ajax. What made you think you could change United? How much you try you can't get Rolls-Royce like performance from a normal car... United lost vision on it’s core business a couple of years before Fergie left the club. One of the most beautiful clubs on earth has been destroyed by greed...

Please play Garnacho, Garner,Tyrell and Varane. I can't bear to watch Rashford, Bruno, Maguire and Shaw anymore.
I feel that ETH has keep playing them as a last chance. "Last chance to prove you deserve to keep being starters".

And they have failed.

I'm pretty sure that Luke Shaw at least, will never start for us again.

Will Singh

[
I wonder if Ten Hag has changed his targets after experiencing the level of the premier league? I suspect he'd have gone for a taller cb with hindsight. I wonder if he still thinks dejong for 72m is still the right target.

Also does he regret not meeting Ralf Rangnick? Could have saved him this embarrassment for sure.
He knew about the PL as a few years ago said Pep will have to buy certain players who are suited to the league. Regarding Ralf I think that’s an ego thing and he’ll learn the hard way as I don’t think he’s even listened to the scouting department as the players he’s going for are he’s ex players

Real Name

It's on the board to get the players he want and they're failing big time.
Also do you think 2 games is enough to treat a new player like a poor acquisition?

It's more about greater needs in other areas such as just about every other position on the pitch, I said when we sig Ed Martinez that we were already well stocked with average centre backs and we shouldn't be blowing 50m on another one, the guy looks championship level.

Don't forget he wanted Arounotivic, that's 100% on him. It is also 100% on him that we have spent all summer chasing FDJ with no sign he even wants to come, that's also on him, not the board.

Maybe he told the board to try and ship out DDG, Dalot, AWB, I dont know, if he did and the Board haven't done so then yes, that's in the Board. However it seems that he thought Dalot and DDG were competent, hope he now realise that they are not.

ETH is a moron for having prioritised Martinez over a central midfielder, there is no other way around that. He chose to start the season without signing a central midfielder and he is now reaping the consequences of that decision. There is no hiding behind the Board on that as far as I am concerned.
:lol:

Sorry I just have to laugh at posts like these.

Sviken

I like this news of him making them run. Managerial authority needs to be reestablished. That's the first step in building this club (aside from the leeches selling but that's never gonna happen). These good for nothings need to understand that this isn't a holiday for them but an actual job and slacking won't be tolerated. And if they're unable to do the job, then they get binned to the nearest relegation fodder.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
But Brentford ran 14k more in the actual game yesterday and are probably off for 2 days now.

I do agree there’s a risk of burnout but if these Brentford players can run that distance more yesterday then something isn’t right. After todays session they will be on the same distance as a team playing yesterday, we’re miles behind in even the basics it seems.
Brentford ran 14km more collectively, so just about 1km per player including subs. Not 14km per player. Asking them to run 14km today because Brentford ran that much more than them is literally something I’d expect my coach in middle school at a summer camp to do.

Crickus

I just feel for ETH. I dont blame him at all for the mess we are in. And he trying to fix it

AdNani

Brentford ran 14km more collectively, so just about 1km per player including subs. Not 14km per player. Asking them to run 14km today because Brentford ran that much more than them is literally something I’d expect my coach in middle school at a summer camp to do.
oh well. let's just let them get away with it then, for the 20th time.

led_scholes

He should have made them run after the game.
How long ti we get leaks about how harsh they are being treated by ETH and how everything is going wrong because they are exhausted by his dinosaur methods?

Biggins

The real test for ETH is how he handles the usual underperforming suspects. If he continues to play them, I can’t see him surviving the season. However, the next manager will have the same issues.

There is something fundamentally wrong with our club and it seems that it really doesn’t matter who we hire as a manager.

Sarni

oh well. let's just let them get away with it then, for the 20th time.
Yeah let’s ask them to run, that will show them. I bet they will all go back to their homes and never run less than their opposition again, and when they all grow up to be adults they will all be hard working adults.

The same people who are so impressed by this will no doubt moan when we have multiple players sidelined by injuries or unable to press after 50 minutes of the game.

Biggins

He should have made them run after the game.
How long ti we get leaks about how harsh they are being treated by ETH and how everything is going wrong because they are exhausted by his dinosaur methods?
They should be still running. Getting trashed 4:0 by Brentford is ridiculous.

ole@thewheel

Sorry, maybe it is just me, but I don't like the strategy of having to play ETH brand of football from the get go, without any room or time for a transition period.

I am not trying to be apologetic to the players, but they are what they are, and a good coach should be able to mould it into some form of a structure to get to a result.

Having to get them into a rigid system from the start is just plain wrong strategy, and we have seen this mistake plenty of times at this club already.

Even if we have the perfect transfer market (which we are not) and end up signing 5-6 Ten Haag type players, that is not the entire team, and the new signings surely would have to take time to adapt to the new club.

I think ETH is being too naive of expecting our current players to adapt at his system, especially as the same group of players were tried on a simalar style pressing systems last year and failed each time.

I dont buy that pressing style football is the only successul style now, either i.e. Real Madrid is not a pressing team and won CHL 5 times last 10 years with 2 different managers.

ETH should adapt and should play the strengths of this team at least until we find some balance and form, or he will not last long.

Some really obvious tips:

- De Gea is NOT a ball playing gk. Avoid getting him to play with his feet.
- We have an obvious larger number of defenders on the team compared to other departments. Playing 3 at the back is not a bad idea.
- Our full backs are not the most creative bunch. They should be used to create space, and not run plays.
- Fred is not a deep lying playmaker or any kind of playmaker, stop playing him as one
- This is a physical league, and physicality usually win more games in here than technicality. Physicality is also a good counter act against more technical teams than ours.
- Majority of our defensive players are not press resistant, minimize the times of them have the ball in dangerous positions close to our goal.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is there anything to discuss, really? It's a comment that, at best, speaks of his desperation with what he was watching on the pitch. Play it long to whom exactly? Rashford can't win a header to save his life. Sancho wants the ball to his feet. Ronaldo can jump high and win the first ball but, at the age of 37, he falls down the moment he feels any sort of contact. And who's in the midfield to win the second balls? Bruno? There's Fred, but he loses the ball as easily as he can recover it. Some may laugh at this, but there needs to be a proper set-up that distinguishes long-ball build-up from just hoofing the ball. The two keys are: a) Fight for the first ball and b) win most of the 50/50s afterward. ETH has neither prepared the team nor cared to have the personnel to play that way. The players tried to do what he's been trying to teach them in the build-up. He can blame them for failing miserably at it and ask for better ones. But he can't blame them for not wanting to play street football. Especially when they look lost at sea and in desperate need for some guidance.
I'm just wondering because didn't Rangnick have the same problem? Players stopped following instructions and did their own thing.
If the players really wanted Poch, not Erik, then that has 'Sod it. We'll get rid of this one next' vibes to it.
The players could want Scarlett Johansson, completely nude if not for the lathers of strawberry jam smeared on her, to be their manager and I still wouldn't care. They're players, their job shouldn't be to dictate who their boss is!

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
What a tragic stat. 14km is a lot more. Goodness gracious :(

Extra time used to be Fergie time because of our winning mentality and superior fitness. Now even the 60th minute belongs to the opponent.

RedDevilQuebecois

Had some catching-up to do.

I'm personallly happy with this. In any slice of professional life, you have to show maximum effort and to obey fecking orders in order to get the job done. As for ETH himself, that shows me that he does not care one bit about consequences unlike other managers before him. I remember reading that football is a personal career choice when he could have done something else as his family is crazy rich or something.

If ETH can quickly learn from his mistakes and take required actions against anyone choosing to remain a misfit, I will remain fully supportive of him.

They won't like this one bit. Expect them to ignore his instructions against Liverpool and put in even less effort. We all know by now their fragile egos can't handle criticism
The crybabies will start crying soon. Expect a lot of leaks about the manager in the coming weeks.
If they want to not put up the effort in the Liverpool match, the crowd would fully support the manager to force the entire team to take an extra training session right after the match. I'm sure the fans are now at a point where they want players to see players vomitting their guts out. Herb Brooks (RIP) did this to his Team USA players after a diappointing draw against Norway in 1979; players from that time talked a lot about that episode.

No day off until they start playing better.

klsv

Poor lads, were meant to collect their weekly 200k paychecks but were forced to jog for an hour on their day off.

AdNani

Yeah let’s ask them to run, that will show them. I bet they will all go back to their homes and never run less than their opposition again, and when they all grow up to be adults they will all be hard working adults.

The same people who are so impressed by this will no doubt moan when we have multiple players sidelined by injuries or unable to press after 50 minutes of the game.
well there not fecking running are they?? the more they run in training the easier it will be for them to run in games? common sense, for too long the players have been allowed to get aaay with doing the bare minimum.

being out run by Brighton and Brentford is absoloutely shocking. What do you suggest Ten Hag does? make them run less in training? that'll show them. work less hard, even less than the disgrace you've shown back to back. Good Job

Joseunited

Good Analysis onnthe game yesterday. Just drives home the point of how utterly important frenkie is to ETH style of play.

Also maguire was at fault for three of the goals, including the first one that went under de gea.

Just watched it, how was Maguire at fault for the 1st goal when Ronaldo lost possession?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm guessing we've already discussed Ten Hag's comments about him telling the players to play it long to beat the press, and the players not doing it?
It's interesting, isn't it. Apart from the tactical implications (Ten Hag is not the single-minded possession coach some seem to take him for), it also shows how little we know about what happens behind the scenes. People watch the game and blame the coach or individual players for this or that, but right now, no-one on here actually knows what Ten Hag is asking of the team, and hence can't really say what's not happening or why.

That will be different in some months of course, but in the meantime, some patience and actually waiting for and then believing what Ten Hag and the players are saying would make sense.

Sarni

well there not fecking running are they?? the more they run in training the easier it will be for them to run in games? common sense, for too long the players have been allowed to get aaay with doing the bare minimum.

being out run by Brighton and Brentford is absoloutely shocking. What do you suggest Ten Hag does? make them run less in training? that'll show them. work less hard, even less than the disgrace you've shown back to back. Good Job
It doesn’t really work that way.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
By the time ETH is done with transitioning the team to his preferred playing style, I fear we will still be found out by the better managers in the league.

Not sure an up and coming manager is what we needed at this stage. Proven quality and a solid DoF would have done the trick.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's interesting, isn't it. Apart from the tactical implications (Ten Hag is not the single-minded possession coach some seem to take him for), it also shows how little we know about what happens behind the scenes. People watch the game and blame the coach or individual players for this or that, but right now, no-one on here actually knows what Ten Hag is asking of the team, and hence can't really say what's not happening or why.

That will be different in some months of course, but in the meantime, some patience and actually waiting for and then believing what Ten Hag and the players are saying would make sense.
I'm secretly sad that there's so many behind the scenes stories from the last ten years that we'll never learn about. HBO could commission an epic drama about some of it. Game of Prawns or something.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm secretly sad that there's so many behind the scenes stories from the last ten years that we'll never learn about. HBO could commission an epic drama about some of it. Game of Prawns or something.
United they fall.

Oh, the drama!

el3mel

By the time ETH is done with transitioning the team to his preferred playing style, I fear we will still be found out by the better managers in the league.

Not sure an up and coming manager is what we needed at this stage. Proven quality and a solid DoF would have done the trick.
I have doubts over him but that proven quality isn't present at the moment. The only one available was Conte and we missed on him thanks to us stupidly sticking with Ole. Ten Hag was the best option available even with the doubts surrounding him. Beside, it's a new approach. We have tried everything else post Fergie so something new is welcome.

Sarni

Why do we need to know they have been made to train today? Like we will all feel better knowing that they have been punished, and excited that they will now suddenly start playing properly as they know there will be consequences if they don't.

Just do it, and keep quiet about it. All we want to see are the benefits it is supposed to have.
Because literally the only purpose it serves is for fans to get excited about how tough our new training methods are.

Spoony

The People's President
Way things are going in the transfer market he'll need to be brave and trust youngsters like Iqbal more. He's got nothing to lose really or will come to that point soon.
Ralf didn't do that and he actually had nothing to lose. Elanga being the anomaly I guess.

Someone

Something
Hope he picks a fight with Klopp next week. In fact since we're awful anyway, I'd love it if a fight broke out like the good old days with Arsenal.

RedDevilQuebecois

Ten Hag is basically a bald Herb Brooks :drool:

Damn, I didn't think someone else would bring that reference. Over 42 years after that specific episode, the players are thankful for the lesson as they started playing better in other exhibition matches afterwards (except the 3-10 crushing by the Soviets at Madison Square Garden) and prior to the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I don't care if players come from poor backgrounds, rich backgrounds, middle class, two-parent families, single-parent families, functional families or dysfunctional families. They better start learning a touch of discipline in their pathetic lifetime for a change.

Last edited:

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Erik den Haag - taking criminal footballers to court

Cloud7

Oh no our bunch of lazy losers have to go out and run on a Sunday. Woe is them.

Sarni

That's literally what training is :confused:
I doubt our players ran less than Brentford due to poor conditioning and besides you don’t build that by continuously running heavily either. I am pretty sure all these players were capable of running and extra 1km yesterday.

Running 14 km today would have been punishment (and a way to impress fans by the new manager) but it wouldn’t make these players more capable of running kilometers in the next game.

Castia

Fair enough

Can’t believe your supporting the players over this though mate. Let Ole down , Ragnick down and it looks like they give zero shits about ETH as well so feck em.