Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 77.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Flexdegea

I can see us sacking him soon, which would be absolutely the wrong thing to do. Which is why I can see it happening.

If this happens Honestly think I'd be done with us until the glazers are gone, and all the remnants of their rein gone too as it won't make any sense.

I don't mind us being shite, support works both ways, but if they sack a manager like Hag early on, who they brought in to play a certain style and way, after wow'ing them with a 5 year plan.......and literally not backing him to do it and he gets hung out to dry................then what is the point.

Nothing will be making any sense.

Phil Osophy

Interesting. I remember reading something similar about his time at Ajax, with players not trusting him at the start and some of them openly disagreeing with his methods, I think one of them was Tadic if my memory is not betraying me.

It takes some time for him to get his teams on the right trick but once it's done you can expect good things happening. The club have to do everything in their hands to make it work.

Boondog

I will admit that one thing that worries me is Roy Keane's comment about the lack of football intelligence with the players. I think it is obvious that some of these players are busy thinking instead of playing, which is something that should diminish as they settle in to the style of play. But there will inevitably be some who are not smart enough or capable of learning and implementing this at full speed. And I wonder how many of them fit into that category.

So it feels right now like the FDJ situation is made more crucial due to this. I will feel a lot better if/when it gets done.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Interesting. I remember reading something similar about his time at Ajax, with players not trusting him at the start and some of them openly disagreeing with his methods, I think one of them was Tadic if my memory is not betraying me.

It takes some time for him to get his teams on the right trick but once it's done you can expect good things happening. The club have to do everything in their hands to make it work.
Or we can go for Poch whilst he's available.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Much like Mou in the beginning. Then Ole. Then Rangnick… Its the same players, the same path.. Not long before “no patterns of play” “he picks the team” “can’t coach” etc.. Same players, same fans - and the same board not living up to what they said about a rebuild.
Yes, but this fanbase has never hated these players as they do now. I don't know anyone who is closer to being indifferent to the players as oppose to really hating them. They won't get through another manager.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think it's change in general, players will be going home tired, throwing up maybe from the intensity. Trying to adjust tactically and getting frustrated, after a while though once "the path of least resistance" is gone and you're over the hill it's so much easier.

Nobody likes changes and these players get to United now and think "I've made it!" look at DDG on his wages, stealing a living. Time for change.

I like he got players to come in and run the difference in the teams ran, makes them realise they need to outrun the opposition.

The Glazers should back ETH to the hilt honestly, no compromises.

Phil Osophy

Or we can go for Poch whilst he's available.
I hope Pochettino finds a team soon, otherwise he's going to be like a ghost flying around Old Trafford for the whole season and appearing in the headlines (and the Caf) every time we draw a pair of games. The thought of hiring him is actually depressing.

Last edited:

DeGea’sFeet

I can see us sacking him soon, which would be absolutely the wrong thing to do. Which is why I can see it happening.
Said this last week. This has the traits of something that can unravel very quickly.

imo ETH, any other years, would normally be out very quickly with how things are happening. Any other year my bet would be he’d be out (my guess not what I want) but the one hope I have this year and what might save him is the World Cup. It’ll give over a months break and then very soon after that the winter window opens.

Flexdegea

I hope Pochettino finds a team soon, otherwise he's going to be like a ghost flying around Old Trafford for the whole season and appearing in the headlines (and the Caf) every time we draw a pair of games. The thought of hiring him is actually depressing.

They scary part is, people will be looking at us and talking about our issues on and off the pitch.........and claim same sentence with a straight face that Poch is the man for the job.

It's insane thinking

RedOrange

Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno requesting reinforcements
No idea how accurate this is but if it's true they're probably begging for a central mid to play the connector role.

If the hold up for Frenkie De Jong is that he's waiting for his deferred wages they need to bite the bullet and just pay what it takes. If they still had Matic he'd likely have been a decent stopgap (at least for 60 minutes a match) but they have no one and everyone knows it.

After that just spend the remaining transfer budget on a keeper who can distribute the ball. He doesn't have to be a worldie, anyone good enough to allow them play out the back is sufficient.

Anderson_7_

So the leaks have already started and the seeds are being planted against ETH. This is insane. He isn't even being given a chance.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Shaw is definitely one of the leakers as I think is Rashford.

After Euros, Shaw thought he was better than he was. Maguire - no explanation.
Yeah, and Henderson too. But he’s out now thankfully. But it’s clearly the British clique thats briefing. I dont know why. Especially Rashford and Shaw gets alot of playtime despite being utter useless recently. Henderson had his reasons though.

I dont know either, heads dropped massively after that summer. Maybe it was the italy defeat..

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Why the feck would Ronaldo care who sign when he'll do everything in his power to leave
Maybe he realized that he’s stuck with us for another season. So might aswell make some pressure on the board. I mean they’re not wrong. We have a net spending of what? 50 million.

We need a £100 Mill investment and thats only on the midfield. You could argue that we need a RB, backup GK and a striker Also.

NewUser777

Yes, but this fanbase has never hated these players as they do now. I don't know anyone who is closer to being indifferent to the players as oppose to really hating them. They won't get through another manager.
Im not so sure. Just read twitter, matchday thread, post match and this thread. I agree though. No fight, no grit and no loyalty. And the tempo? League One standards.. Worst part, some of them are actually good footballers..

Red Viking

We should give Erik all the support he needs to change and shape our football team. The job Erik have been given is an massive one in scope and we all knew that from the beginning of the season. The board need to give him some more players to work with, and especially in the midfield as McFred is too weak as a pair in this league. Let´s all get behind him and give him a few years to sort it all out properly. The media will be out for blood at any given opportunity so that make it even more important to be supportive as he will need it. The players have to fall in line and do as asked of them. The players have gotten a fair few managers sacked and now it should be their jobs on the line and not the managers.

mav_9me

What's there to say. ETH maybe should do better and maybe he will if given time but reality is we are extremely limited by the owners/club management.

Only hope is we get dragged into a relegation battle forcing the Glazers to sell but that would also likely mean ETH will be gone.

Anyway future is extremely bleak.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Well, running marathon Around 3 hours is very impressive imo. 2500 blokes out of maybe 35000? Yeah, that sounds pretty elite. But hey! Thats my opinion and I would be pretty happy if I could run a marathon under 3 hours when I’m 40.
It might be impressive, but if 2500 can do it, then it's not elite!
That's saying the top 8% or so of the sport are all elite- imagine applying that to footballers in the UK. Basically saying anyone playing non-league is elite - doesn't work like that!

If you run recreationally, you'll realise that it is a far cry from elite! Even from Sub 3 to world record pace (2.01.39) there are echelons of quality - sub 2.45, sub 2.40, sub 2.30, sub 2.20 and then sub 2.15 and 2.10. All of them basically harder and harder to achieve.

Sub 3 alone is probably no higher standard comparatively to that one lad on your Sunday League team who can score a hattrick from the wing cos he used to be in the Oldham academy.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
It might be impressive, but if 2500 can do it, then it's not elite!
That's saying the top 8% or so of the sport are all elite- imagine applying that to footballers in the UK. Basically saying anyone playing non-league is elite - doesn't work like that!

If you run recreationally, you'll realise that it is a far cry from elite! Even from Sub 3 to world record pace (2.01.39) there are echelons of quality - sub 2.45, sub 2.40, sub 2.30, sub 2.20 and then sub 2.15 and 2.10. All of them basically harder and harder to achieve.

Sub 3 alone is probably no higher standard comparatively to that one lad on your Sunday League team who can score a hattrick from the wing cos he used to be in the Oldham academy.
Thanks for the input. I didnt say it was elite per se. I Said it was close to elite. Two different things :) I mean if you can run it under 3 hours, you’re on the way to the very top.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nope. Hard disagree.

It's clear this team and these players just aren't a good mix. Something is broken with a lot of them. Mentally and physically weak throughout the core.

No manager could turn this team around in 1 season. Not Pep, Klopp or Fergie.

If it takes a year of poor results to break it apart and start fresh properly, so be it. I'm done with band aid fixes and short term coverings.

The only way to break the cycle is to BREAK the cycle.

Don't get me wrong, yes ETH could have made better decisions, but no manager is flawless either. Pep has thrown away CL titles from being stubborn.

He will need to learn and adjust too, but I would rather keep him in the long term than half of this squad.
I don’t disagree with the idea of allowing manager to rebuild the team, however I would need to see some evidence that ten Hag deserves that chance before he is allowed free reign.

I think people are a bit blinded by him because he did a nice interview where he talked about tactics and has ‘tough methods’. Truth is he is largely unproven coach and though he’s been here for just a few minutes, it could hardly go any worse. I think his game management for Brighton and Brentford was concerning to say the least. Let’s wait and see, hope there is progress but I definitely wouldn’t have him in the category of ‘you back him no matter what happens’ among coaches.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
They scary part is, people will be looking at us and talking about our issues on and off the pitch.........and claim same sentence with a straight face that Poch is the man for the job.

It's insane thinking
Yup it's like if you've been in 10 different relationships and all your partners are "toxic" eventually you start to realise you are the problem.

United I think need to slowly realise that ETH is the right appointment here but the other aspects need fixing.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Where did you read that?
Sorry to sound evasive, I have tried to find where I saw that information, but I can't - I have just read so much this weekend about football and especially Manchester United.

I think it was a piece about Conte - the Spurs manager, whom Man United were in for awhile back, but he wouldn't commit because he wanted total control. The implication being the manager who has accepted the job - ETH - is willing to have some people above him call it a 'consultant' or a 'thinktank' or even money people who are at the very least 'advising', or at worst telling him what to do...

It does make some sense - that ETH is being asked to give game time to certain players - there wasn't any name mentioned, but my guess would be Ronaldo. In the final week before the PL began ETH was talking tough about Ronaldo, but he was still on the bench when the Brighton game kicked-off and he started against Brentford. I know Martial was injured, but was there not an under-21 lad who could have stepped up, what about Garnacho?

Ronaldo was played I think because United had their fingers crossed that he would get a goal or two and a club in the CL would take him before the transfer window closes. If he'd been left-out by the Manager, to show that he was laying down the law there would have been no 'shop window' opportunity. Sadly, its not worked out - one and a half games of petulance and gesticulation will have probably had the opposite effect to the one the club wanted, making a transfer out less likely. In addition, by playing Ronaldo (possibly under instructions so to do) the Manager hasn't had the chance to show the players who is the boss.

A similar thing happened with my team as featured in "All or Nothing" on Amazon Prime: Arteta wanted to make an example of Aubameyang, remove him from the Captains job/bench him and the execs wanted the manager to patch things up. Arteta stood firm and the gamble seems to have paid off, perhaps ETH should have stuck to his guns too.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

This is true, his start at Ajax was also not that good. That is his major flaw. Takes a while to get it up and running, but when it is running, it's great.
It is not a flaw imo. It’s progress to do something that is not easy to accomplish. Great things take time. I am standing firm behind him.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It is not a flaw imo. It’s progress to do something that is not easy to accomplish. Great things take time. I am standing firm behind him.
When Pep came to City he had Claudio Bravo and Joe Hart.

I remember a game where Bravo fecked up royally, his response was "I want my goalkeepers to play like this", same for Sterling he went to City believing that Pep would not want him to dribble and keep the ball but not the case.

I agree that it's not a flaw, players need to adapt to a new way of playing. If the club back ETH and the players work hard and buy in and don't treat United like its the Seychelles then I think great things will happen.

croadyman

When Pep came to City he had Claudio Bravo and Joe Hart.

I remember a game where Bravo fecked up royally, his response was "I want my goalkeepers to play like this", same for Sterling he went to City believing that Pep would not want him to dribble and keep the ball but not the case.

I agree that it's not a flaw, players need to adapt to a new way of playing. If the club back ETH and the players work hard and buy in and don't treat United like its the Seychelles then I think great things will happen.
Helped Guardiola could just chuck aside any player bought who didn't fit his system, unfortunately due to the leeches we will never have the luxury of doing that