Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 104 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 248 70.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ha, sports scientists saying running is an issue. Right.

I honestly thing 'journalist' meetings currently are like this: Sit down in a room. Put up a white board. Write: negative things to bash United today. Brainstorm.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I am sorry? These guys are moaning about running? Arguably the best paid footballers in the world who couldn't be arsed to show up and compete against Brentford and have the gall to moan about running? Some of these players know what Conte does? Or perhaps they haven't heard about Atletico's 'Murder Hill' either?

Feck that. Actions have consequences. I have zero sympathy for this lot.
Ten Hag used Ajax' version of Murder Hill regularly , so let's hope he can get one here too. Let the lazy bastards run for their money

steffyr2

I get how, as supporters panicking right now, we desperately want the club pushed into action. I just think that coming from those three, it's a bit farcical. Rashford is/should be potentially on the chopping block himself. Bruno has been poor for a long time. Ronaldo wants out anyway. I just think they're three players not in position to say anything.

Rashford plays like he can't be bothered every game. His attitude has been a disgrace. What's he saying to them?

"Please sign new players, I'm not good enough and am letting Erik down"?
Redcafe is getting a bit boring. And silly.
Utd isn't going to trade in the entire team for a new set of players. This isn't FM.
These are the senior players for the team you support.
They're attempting to support the new manager in his request for new players to make a full squad.
But you know that already, right?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Redcafe is getting a bit boring. And silly.
Utd isn't going to trade in the entire team for a new set of players. This isn't FM.
These are the senior players for the team you support.
They're attempting to support the new manager in his request for new players to make a full squad.
But you know that already, right?
New signings we need because they're playing shit. What's hard to understand? The players can feck off. It's just another method of shifting blame. I mean, what message does it send to the rest of the squad? They're sat there thinking "well if you did your job it wouldn't be so desperate, yet you're trying to make it look as though others are letting you down".

If we're a club more likely to listen to the request of players rather than the manager we've hired to shape the club, then we're finished.

Teja

I thought this too which is why I was trying to find the running stats of City Vs Bournemouth. Any idea where I can find it?
Yeah I tried to look now and it is surprisingly hard to find.

Rather than specific games, City players on an average are 14th in the table in terms of distance covered last season. Safe to say, they're not outrunning their opponents every game.

Surprisingly Liverpool are pretty high up there.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ier-league-running-stats-this-season-revealed

I assume our sports science folks and ETH know what they're doing and am willing to just call it a one-time disciplinary thing based on his observations around tracking back etc in the game.

steffyr2

New signings we need because they're playing shit. What's hard to understand? The players can feck off. It's just another method of shifting blame. I mean, what message does it send to the rest of the squad? They're sat there thinking "well if you did your job it wouldn't be so desperate, yet you're trying to make it look as though others are letting you down".

If we're a club more likely to listen to the request of players rather than the manager we've hired to shape the club, then we're finished.
Do you also think that ETH asking for more players is sending a bad message to the rest of the team?

The senior players have probably played long enough to notice that players get injured during a season, don't you think?

Pickle85

Do you also think that ETH asking for more players is sending a bad message to the rest of the team?

The senior players have probably played long enough to notice that players get injured during a season, don't you think?
Talk about a false equivalency...

People are well within their rights to point out that it's a bit rich for these particular players to go to the board moaning about needing new recruits when at least a couple of them aren't good enough (or putting in the requisite effort) to wear the shirt.

Velvet Revolver

Which one of the players are in this guy's ear?

To hell with sports science. You cnuts don't wanna run the miles the day after a match? Then make sure you don't get out run.

It's as simple as that. We can talk formations/systems/tactics all we want but these players are so bad that at this point, something as rudimentary as running is what's needed.
I like The Athletic's articles and journalists but the focus and introspection of every single thing we are doing is getting nauseating. I was listening to their podcast and they were arguing ' Making players run for 13.8 km will not make them a better player' . No sh*t! this was done to bring in some sense of feeling in these lazy players. A consequence of the horrible performance we displayed over the weekend. And everyone is suddenly a sport scientist and psychologist.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I am sorry? These guys are moaning about running? Arguably the best paid footballers in the world who couldn't be arsed to show up and compete against Brentford and have the gall to moan about running? Some of these players know what Conte does? Or perhaps they haven't heard about Atletico's 'Murder Hill' either?

Feck that. Actions have consequences. I have zero sympathy for this lot.
No one is moaning about anything.
Crafton spoke to sports scientists about the drills.
No player has complained
You’re making shite up in your head and getting angry again

steffyr2

Rather than specific games, City players on an average are 14th in the table in terms of distance covered last season. Safe to say, they're not outrunning their opponents every game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ier-league-running-stats-this-season-revealed

I assume our sports science folks and ETH know what they're doing and am willing to just call it a one-time disciplinary thing based on his observations around tracking back etc in the game.
The standing around with a blank look is annoying to watch. That isn't the ability to jog around a track, that's the ability to think & react quickly. Whether making someone run 13 km helps with that seems unlikely, but they were just terrible so I can understand the impulse.
The love for "players who run hard" is funny. People who can run fast and far are probably pretty inexpensive, hopefully we're looking for people who are good at playing soccer (football).

led_scholes

I would be OK if our players wouldn't out run anyone but could pass better than all. They do neither efficiently. They also don't know when to run. Pressing isn't about one player running to the gk every now and then. I still find baffling that some of these players are playing together for years and still don't understand how to cover for each other.

Maticmaker

Get the feeling the club at the moment is like an hot air balloon that's running out of hot air.... so what can be jettisoned ? Players, Trainers, Manager, Club managers... eventually the owners!!! However by then if the balloon hasn't gone up everything crashes and burns anyway!

We all wish we were not starting from here.... but here we are, so what is the first step.... beat Liverpool 3-0 then say 'we were only kidding'...Arghhh!!?

Tiki-Taka

I love the 343 personally, I think it's a really balanced system on paper and you can create all sorts of overloads in different areas. Conte at Chelsea showed this.

I wouldn't be against giving something like this a try.

Varane - Maguire - Martinez
Dalot - Eriksen - Fred - Malacia
Sancho - Ronaldo - Rashford

It could be flexible as Martinez can become a CM, going 433 if the game requires. But I do feel like the way to hurt Liverpool is out wide, we need to exploit this. You could even swap Dalot for Elanga for a bit more pace, perhaps he would be more suited to RWB, something I've thought for a while may be worth trying.
I like this, Martinez could slot into midfield while we attack, if we can hold the ball long enough.

steffyr2

Talk about a false equivalency...

People are well within their rights to point out that it's a bit rich for these particular players to go to the board moaning about needing new recruits when at least a couple of them aren't good enough (or putting in the requisite effort) to wear the shirt.
People are just moaning.

They say "We have to support ETH while he brings in his new system.", "We have to expect a rocky start." etc etc

Then the next statement is, "The players are trash." not "We have to support the players while they learn ETH's new system."

Honestly, pick a lane. Either this is a worthwhile, difficult process that can be expected or not.

(I've picked that I'm not impressed with ETH's start AND I'm not impressed with the players AND I think it's obvious that they need new signings AND they should have gotten them as soon as the window opened. If the board is so dense they aren't aware of that, I'm fine with the players adding their voice to ETG's to get them off the dime.)

Pickle85

People are just moaning.

They say "We have to support ETH while he brings in his new system.", "We have to expect a rocky start." etc etc

Then the next statement is, "The players are trash." not "We have to support the players while they learn ETH's new system."

Honestly, pick a lane. Either this is a worthwhile, difficult process that can be expected or not.

(I've picked that I'm not impressed with ETH's start AND I'm not impressed with the players AND I think it's obvious that they need new signings AND they should have gotten them as soon as the window opened. If the board is so dense they aren't aware of that, I'm find with the players adding their voice to ETG's to get them off the dime.)
So when you say 'pick a lane', what you seem to mean is pick a large number of lanes, like you have. People are moaning, sure, but with good reason and they absolutely have reason to be skeptical about players' motives for coming out with the 'we need reinforcement' rhetoric. This is a difficult process and I don't think many expect anything else, but I personally absolutely agree that the players should wind their necks in when they're playing as badly as they are and let their game do the talking but instead our bunch of prima donnas would rather do their talking in the press or by going to the board, stamping their feet and demanding players. I also think that, particularly given the last season and a bit, the players need to earn the support. At the moment they are playing like trash, so it's not a shock that they'll get called out on it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ten Hag after Brentford - We need reinforcements.

Ten Hag after Liverpool - We need reinforcements. You just know it.

Ten Hag in 2023 - We need f*ckin reinforcements.

steffyr2

So when you say 'pick a lane', what you seem to mean is pick a large number of lanes, like you have. People are moaning, sure, but with good reason and they absolutely have reason to be skeptical about players' motives for coming out with the 'we need reinforcement' rhetoric. This is a difficult process and I don't think many expect anything else, but I personally absolutely agree that the players should wind their necks in when they're playing as badly as they are and let their game do the talking but instead our bunch of prima donnas would rather do their talking in the press or by going to the board, stamping their feet and demanding players. I also think that, particularly given the last season and a bit, the players need to earn the support. At the moment they are playing like trash, so it's not a shock that they'll get called out on it.
Just as long as you have expectations for ETH's performance also, I agree with what you posted.

philnguyen1994

"They have not won after going 1-0 down since Michael Carrick was in caretaker charge for a 3-2 victory over Arsenal in early December."

From the Athletic's article by Adam Crafton posted above. That's shocking. Didn't Ralf bring in a sport psychologist? The psychologist probably needs counselling himself after working with these players.

NLunited

How would you have managed the Sunday training if you were the manager ?

Would you have screamed at them and told them there a simply horrible and don't deserve to be footballers ?

Would you have yelled at specific players, in front of everyone, tellimg them exactly what they are doing wrong ?

Would you have asked the players, what went wrong and what can we learn from this ?

Would you have told them calmly, that it was not good enought, they are on their last chance, each one of them, and if they don't buck up you will play their back up ?

How would you have handled it ? Not how would you like to have handled it, as obviously you can't beat them with a piece of 4x2
Tell them the facts, that they were outrun by Brentford, and made two/three horrible mistakes. Both are avoidable.

You cannot be outrun by a team when you are chasing a lead. If you are two goals up, you can slow down and circulate the ball, but a possession side trying to score has to work hard off the ball and in pressing the opponent.

BorisManUtd

Ten Hag should leave in month or two if things don't improve. Managing United is only ruining his reputation.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ten Hag should leave in month or two if things don't improve. Managing United is only ruining his reputation.
No one wants Man Utd to be successful anymore. Not even the fans.

Really do not understand this obsession of him walking.

buchansleftleg

This is diabolical.
This is why the club should not have been releasing these "It was Erik who....." briefs about going for FdJ...replacements....player choices etc. It's given the press an early signal of division and they have gone large on it. They all know that if Erik stays there long term they will get nothing from him in terms of juicy stories and intrigue like they got in abundance from the translator. Ole gave them the hugs / smiles / vibes instead of intrigue so they went after player leaks.

The press scent blood in the water and will be all over us for weeks now.

Fans need to ignore the Media agenda and show the manager full backing. In a few weeks, whoever released those briefings to the media needs to get sacked and replaced. It's time to batten down the hatches and freeze out the media.

buchansleftleg

Ha, sports scientists saying running is an issue. Right.

I honestly thing 'journalist' meetings currently are like this: Sit down in a room. Put up a white board. Write: negative things to bash United today. Brainstorm.
That's totally true - they will look for a good "angle" on any story - and negative stories drive higher levels of interaction and comment so they will look to create controversy where possible. This is especially true in Silly season where they might have other journalists looking for an angle rather than just the normal sports journo's who have to maintain a working relationship with the club.

With the whole Ronaldo situation along with stories like Greenwood - the problem is you get these freelancers who are not averse to using dirty tricks to generate stories.

RuudTom83

This season has been absolute gold dust for every halfwit with a blog or youtube channel! You can literally spew out any amount of bollocks you like and you know the thousands of clicks are incoming.

It has only been 2 Games :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There are reports he has clauses in his contract that allow him to walk if certain conditions are not met.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This season has been absolute gold dust for every halfwit with a blog or youtube channel! You can literally spew out any amount of bollocks you like and you know the thousands of clicks are incoming.

It has only been 2 Games :lol:
That's why I am disappointed with the whinging caftards here. Its not bad enough that the press and social media are so full of doom & gloom on United, we don't need to add more of that crap here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't doubt he could walk. He comes from a fecking minted family. Money is not his motivation.
But he's not a quitter.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I like The Athletic's articles and journalists but the focus and introspection of every single thing we are doing is getting nauseating. I was listening to their podcast and they were arguing ' Making players run for 13.8 km will not make them a better player' . No sh*t! this was done to bring in some sense of feeling in these lazy players. A consequence of the horrible performance we displayed over the weekend. And everyone is suddenly a sport scientist and psychologist.
I mean, that's exactly what Crafton says in the tweet thread.

Pickle85

Just as long as you have expectations for ETH's performance also, I agree with what you posted.
Fair point - it can be easy for players to become the focal point for all outrage and the manager can get a pass. I think for me the proof of the pudding will be when ETH has had a while longer to impress his 'philosophy' (shudder!) on the players as well as bringing a few more in. So far the signs are rather mixed, being charitable, but it's still really early days for him. I think I lost patience with the players sooner because they've been there (underperforming) for so much longer.