Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He wouldn't be a quitter if he walks. Maybe he's taken stock of the backroom and executives and realised its a zero-sum game.

Gator Nate

I love the 343 personally, I think it's a really balanced system on paper and you can create all sorts of overloads in different areas. Conte at Chelsea showed this.

I wouldn't be against giving something like this a try.

Varane - Maguire - Martinez
Dalot - Eriksen - Fred - Malacia
Sancho - Ronaldo - Rashford

It could be flexible as Martinez can become a CM, going 433 if the game requires. But I do feel like the way to hurt Liverpool is out wide, we need to exploit this. You could even swap Dalot for Elanga for a bit more pace, perhaps he would be more suited to RWB, something I've thought for a while may be worth trying.
The 3-4-3 is a favorite of mine as well. And with the personnel we have at the moment, I think it may work better. There are quite a few players on the roster you could swap into that lineup in multiple positions. It could be very versatile for us.

But I seriously doubt EtH would do it.

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
God, I really hope he gets some time....

I remember at Ajax his first half year was also very difficult.. I remember him also holding on to players and making choices which I far from agreed with at the moment, which made me very hesitant he was actually our guy.. Obviously over time - despite him still having flaws - he grew out to be one of the best Ajax coaches ever, at least in recent (post 70's) history...

The key thing will not mainly be the outside pressure I think, but mostly whether he is backed by the team/players and the majority of the team beliefs in him.. I think thats why it also makes a lot of sense to immediately get some players who you have worked with in the past and of whom you know the fit your playing style perfectly and belief in your approach... If the squad starts muting and/or is unwilling/unable to get on the Ten Hag train he will be doomed...

I really hope he gets the time from the club to force his hand in this squad and playing style, even if short term performances remain (understatement) below par.. Im very confident he has what it takes to become successful with Man Utd..

PieCrust

I'm still ready to give ETH a proper chance. The transfer team has bungled this window and it was so important to get this one right. We all know that McFred is the most alarming weakness in the squad and it hasn't been addressed. We should have bailed on the FDJ a month ago and moved onto other targets, but instead we just get strung along and now it's too late to get anyone that will make an impact. It's match week 3 ffs.

I do think ETH was naïve in his approach of giving everyone a clean slate and a chance to prove themselves. Most of the players in this squad have shown their true colors for years. There remains zero mystery to be solved with a new manager getting a tune out of this dross; it cannot be done. I'm also not been impressed by ETH's insistence to play out of the back when the inept technical and weak mentality of the players. It's suicide.

We have a manager that could be the right one. The club has failed to refresh the squad in any meaningful way and continue to show complete ineptness in the transfer market.

RedOrange

Feels like the club has made up their minds that Ten Hag's got 2-3 matches to turn it around with the players he's got or they'll cut bait, hire Pochettino and spend the rest of the transfer budget in January.

At some point Arnold will leak that he had been in contact with Poch's agent since August 7th, as if that reflects well on him.

Maticmaker

Would you have asked the players, what went wrong and what can we learn from this ?
Yes, ask each player in turn to give their explanation to everyone, of why we lost and with no holds barred...

to name names (including manager/training methods etc.)
to explain what they did themselves/didn't do,
to suggest what needs to be the priority going forward,
to stipulate what they are going to do to improve, personally

Any arguments between players should be allowed to continue, let the anger frustration show, get out as much 'bile' as possible, clear the decks, etc.

Then as Brian Clough use to say, "yes we would sit down and discuss everything, I would listen very carefully.... then we would do what I said"

Remember the geese

Feels like the club has made up their minds that Ten Hag's got 2-3 matches to turn it around with the players he's got or they'll cut bait, hire Pochettino and spend the rest of the transfer budget in January.

At some point Arnold will leak that he had been in contact with Poch's agent since August 7th, as if that reflects well on him.
This can't possibly be the case. Ten Hag should be as safe as houses this season and beyond.

m1tch

I think if he was confident in his own ability enough to give a bunch of known bad characters and underperformers a second chance, then he'll be confident enough to keep going with the team until it achieves it's maximum.

That said, a factor in him walking away could be whether he came on condition of assurances that he'd be supported in transforming the squad. It's inevitable he's going to be feeling totally let down on that front, so really it could just be a case of whether he thinks there's much to achieve with this squad in the long run. I.e. if he doesn't think his coaching can get them challenging, and he doesn't believe he'll get the support in terms of transfers where critically needed, then what's the point of being the captain of a ship that's lost its engines (and might have a hole in the hull).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oh we've finally been linked with Pedro Neto thank god. Been beating the drum for him for ages. Mendes controls Wolves and he just got them Cunha, so he could negotiate an easy exit for Neto now in return.

Morata, Neto, Rabiot and Dest would have me delighted tbh. Frenkie isn't happening though. Get rid of AWB, Bailly/Jones, Garner, McTominay, Ronaldo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've heard Dest is on par or worse than Dalot. Which scares the shit out of me.

mu4c_20le

Since he's just come back from a serious injury this is how we should negotiate for Neto

Maticmaker

You get the feeling watching ETH's reaction during the Brentford game... the shaking of the head in particular, was from sheer confusion. Previously after certain passages of play you could see him and his training staff, talking/making notes about presumably what they were seeing. At some point all this stopped and he just looked 'gob-smacked'.

What was puzzling him, was it players who he knew could.... but they were not engaging; players who wanted to, but couldn't achieve what was necessary, or players who couldn't and wouldn't. I wonder how many of them were doing anything remotely like he had asked them to do?

He was certainly staring over the precipice.

Castia

So we’ve got owners not sanctioning a Ronaldo sale although ETH signed off on it. Then we have a clueless Murtough putting our players up for sale. Arnold along with Murtough have made the club a laughing stock this summer, we thought Ed Woodward was but but compared to these 2 cowboys…

Then we have the players. Sulking, not performing, leaking to the press….2 games into the season under a new manager.

ETH must be wondering what the hell happened to this club, I can’t see a way back and the players we’re panic buying will only set us back further.

czemuch

I was very excited when we signed him, but so far he seems like another naive manager. firstly, Rangnick, who thought some kind of 4-2-2-2 or whatever with highline, de gea and unfit unable to press players can work, and another bright idea: 7 sec attack or whatever plan, which meant losing the ball all the time and being counter-attacked.

Next we have ten Hag, who have watched De Gea in training, yeah he can play well there, when he is not bullied and not under a real pressure, but another story is a real match. Basically every united supporter can tell that a modern football, proactive with a highline a -pep-klopp hybrid will get destroyed with de gea in goal (not counting de gea blind fans). The hell u can appoint pep and klopp together and they will not deliver with him in goal. I dont know what to think at this point. They should send him to Enrique to explain to him why de gea is fourth choice keeper in Spain. If he will be fired in two months time or so, partially it will be because so far he is super naive.

leontas

Oh we've finally been linked with Pedro Neto thank god. Been beating the drum for him for ages. Mendes controls Wolves and he just got them Cunha, so he could negotiate an easy exit for Neto now in return.

Morata, Neto, Rabiot and Dest would have me delighted tbh. Frenkie isn't happening though. Get rid of AWB, Bailly/Jones, Garner, McTominay, Ronaldo.
Think they got Nunes, not Cunha.

However, I agree that Neto would be an amazing signing. Always thought we should go for him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The first two games were necessary evil to show him exactly who he can and can’t trust and who is and isn’t up to standard.

It might be a painful start to his career here but at the very least he will know how much shit is on the menu and what flavour it is.

Maticmaker

Already getting into Rangnick territory.
Has ETH found Ralf's 'doggy-dossier'?... the one Ralf (supposedly) didn't have because (supposedly) ETH said he would not be interested in such a dossier and wanted to make up his own mind about the players.

Bet Erik's done some reading this weekend though!

OverratedOpinion

Already getting into Rangnick territory.
I think we do forget that he has lost Cavani, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, and Henderson.

Whatever we think about them they were all members of the first team squad. I personally still think we need 2 midfielders even just for numbers.

Revaulx

No, but I'm not a complete carpet as many of you seem to be.
Well I used to sack people for poor performance and it wasn’t that difficult. They weren’t premier league footballers with armies of agents and lawyers at their beck and call though :)

Still, footballers get fined for stuff all the time without resorting to the courts. Didn’t someone post the list of fines that either Lamps or Stevie G had put in place this season?

red_de_pologne

If we're not backing him with thought out recruitment and funds, at least give him absolute free pass this season, let him tweak and try, use some youngsters, get him some cheapish promising attacker & centre mid.

But the press won't allow it, the vultures are circling..

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
That's why I am disappointed with the whinging caftards here. Its not bad enough that the press and social media are so full of doom & gloom on United, we don't need to add more of that crap here.
This is the Caf, it has been for years. These posters LIVE for the doom and gloom. Typified by certain poster's negative spin of the players going to the board trying to back ETH. Rather than praise them for loyalty they get lambasted for "going against their own interests." At that point you have to question what these people want for the club. Success or more doom and gloom to moan about?

romufc

I don't understand these reports about Ten Hag wanting x amount of players.

Why does anyone actually think we will sign anyone?

It is quite clear how this window has gone, the aim of the club is to fool us and Ten Hag.

Go after Antony and De Jong, brief that we done all we could to sign them, not sign them and say they wanted to back the manager and not get 2nd choice signings.

It was reported early in the window that without CL we will have a 50m spend, we have reached that and the club are trying to buy time for the window to close.