Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Hater. If I was director of football I would get these deals done! How is it other teams are able to get these kinda fees from players who are not better than ours? It is possible
Hater haha, how old are you?

Come on.. Who would pay that amount for Maguire? Who would pay that amount for McTom? Rashford has only 1 year left on his contract and hasnt hit a ball for 2 years.. Who is going to pay that amount for Rashford?

You are all talking about players who havent performed for about 2 years, whereas White and the Forrest buy you are referring too may be/have been unproven at the moment of buy, there was still all the reason for optimism they could develop further and become better players..

If you would get these amounts for Rashford, Maguire and McTom as a DoF you should quite your job RIGHT NOW and start applying as a DoF somewhere, because - without any shredt of doubt - you would be the absolute best DoF football has ever seen...

Perhaps if Rashford signs a new deal and they all have top seasons this year you can talk about those amounts again, but right now... You my good sir, are dellusional!

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Maguire could easily fetch £50-60 million. He is still an important starter for England national team, Arsenal paid £50million for White who had 1 season under his belt. McTominay is fetching 40 million in this market seen as Forest just bought an unproven English player for 45 million P.S. Newcastle want him. Rashford is going for 60-70 million. Raphinha is not more productive than Rashford and went for similar. Shaw is fetching 25-30 million seen as Newcastle just signed a non international LB for 16million. De Gea is fetching £25 million.
If I am wrong, tell me what you think they would fetch and why?
Has there been any interest by any club in any one of these players? If they are worth that much there would have been some rumuors. To sell you need a buyer who is attractive enough for the player to agree to the transfer. Show me the credible rumours that other clubs want to buy those players and then I'll start believing that they could be sol

And also... wages. United pays a lot more than most other clubs would be willing to pay, so they would want some compensation for that. There is little incentive for any of the players to accept smaller contracts.

Someone like de Gea is fetching nothing for that reason, no one would sign him for 350k a week and a fee of 25m, so United would more or less have to let him go for free.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Maguire could easily fetch £50-60 million. He is still an important starter for England national team, Arsenal paid £50million for White who had 1 season under his belt. McTominay is fetching 40 million in this market seen as Forest just bought an unproven English player for 45 million P.S. Newcastle want him. Rashford is going for 60-70 million. Raphinha is not more productive than Rashford and went for similar. Shaw is fetching 25-30 million seen as Newcastle just signed a non international LB for 16million. De Gea is fetching £25 million.
No one is paying 50 million for harry, no one.

None of the prices you quoted are realistic at all simply due to the wage were paying them , not many could match that and those who can would look for better options, why buy Maguire when you could get koulibaly for example.

Stacks

Hater haha, how old are you?

Come on.. Who would pay that amount for Maguire? Who would pay that amount for McTom? Rashford has only 1 year left on his contract and hasnt hit a ball for 2 years.. Who is going to pay that amount for Rashford?

You are all talking about players who havent performed for about 2 years, whereas White and the Forrest buy you are referring too may be/have been unproven at the moment of buy, there was still all the reason for optimism they could develop further and become better players..

If you would get these amounts for Rashford, Maguire and McTom as a DoF you should quite your job RIGHT NOW and start applying as a DoF somewhere, because - without any shredt of doubt - you would be the absolute best DoF football has ever seen...

Perhaps if Rashford signs a new deal and they all have top seasons this year you can talk about those amounts again, but right now... You my good sir, are dellusional!
30 going on 17. As I said, someone in need of a CB with money could spend that on Maguire. Newcastle, chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, Everton. As I said, Arsenal paid £50 million for White who is an inferior player in this country. Your argument is a bit backwards. Players who are proven previosuly are a less of a risk than UNPROVEN players as it simply means they may need a move to get back to their level. happens all the time. players needing a change/fresh start. Word is that PSG think Rashford is being held back by the constant change in managers at United and think they can get him back to 2020 levels. It ain't crazy. Newcastle were interested in Scott McTom so why can't we take em for a cool £40 million? He has performed at higher level than players going for more.

Has there been any interest by any club in any one of these players? If they are worth that much there would have been some rumuors. To sell you need a buyer who is attractive enough for the player to agree to the transfer. Show me the credible rumours that other clubs want to buy those players and then I'll start believing that they could be sol

And also... wages. United pays a lot more than most other clubs would be willing to pay, so they would want some compensation for that. There is little incentive for any of the players to accept smaller contracts.

Someone like de Gea is fetching nothing for that reason, no one would sign him for 350k a week and a fee of 25m, so United would more or less have to let him go for free.
PSG enquired into Rashford and allegedly we told them £130 million. Newcastle were interested in Scott Mctominary and we came out and said "he is an important 1st team player". thats the 2 richest clubs in the world and we refused to take them to the cleaners. there was rumoured interest from barcelona for Maguire. If we list Maguire and Shaw, (2 key members of our Euro 2020 finals run), there would be no end of premier league club interested in their services. Thats mere common sense. In what country are 2 key defenders for their league's national team, not rated in their own league?

Maybe you right about De Gea

Stacks

No one is paying 50 million for harry, no one.

None of the prices you quoted are realistic at all simply due to the wage were paying them , not many could match that and those who can would look for better options, why buy Maguire when you could get koulibaly for example.
You would of said this about Ben White who went for £50 million. Odegaard went for £30 million. Chelsea just bought a Brighton LB for £60 million. 30 year old Chris Wood went for £30 odd million. Kurt Zouma went for £31 million. All lower profile than Harry Maguire. There aren't many Koulibaly's about and English players go for more. Harry would be great for Newcastle. zero pressure and he'll earn a lot. I'm not sure our wages are insurmountable

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
30 going on 17. As I said, someone in need of a CB with money could spend that on Maguire. Newcastle, chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, Everton. As I said, Arsenal paid £50 million for White who is an inferior player in this country. Your argument is a bit backwards. Players who are proven previosuly are a less of a risk than UNPROVEN players as it simply means they may need a move to get back to their level. happens all the time. players needing a change/fresh start. Word is that PSG think Rashford is being held back by the constant change in managers at United and think they can get him back to 2020 levels. It ain't crazy. Newcastle were interested in Scott McTom so why can't we take em for a cool £40 million? He has performed at higher level than players going for more.

PSG enquired into Rashford and allegedly we told them £130 million. Newcastle were interested in Scott Mctominary and we came out and said "he is an important 1st team player". thats the 2 richest clubs in the world and we refused to take them to the cleaners. there was rumoured interest from barcelona for Maguire. If we list Maguire and Shaw, (2 key members of our Euro 2020 finals run), there would be no end of premier league club interested in their services. Thats mere common sense. In what country are 2 key defenders for their league's national team, not rated in their own league?

Maybe you right about De Gea
There are different shaed of previously.

Rashford, Maguire and McTom have all been utter shit in general over the last two seasons.. Clubs are generally more likely to pay bigger amounts of money for player who are looking to be in an upward path in their carreers, than paying those amounts for players who havent performed for quite some time and have been in decline...

Not saying the tree of them are all useless players or anything, maybe some of them can still recover themselves at United again, refind their form and when in form clubs might be willing to pay those amounts again at one point.. But at this point, clubs are not going to pay those amounts for players who have been shit for the last two years.. Club are way more likely to overpay for (younger) players who are in an upward path because of the hope they havent reached their ceiling yet, and because they are afraid that prices/competition for those kind of players will only increase the longer they wait..

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You would of said this about Ben White who went for £50 million. Odegaard went for £30 million. Chelsea just bought a Brighton LB for £60 million. 30 year old Chris Wood went for £30 odd million. Kurt Zouma went for £31 million. All lower profile than Harry Maguire. There aren't many Koulibaly's about and English players go for more. Harry would be great for Newcastle. zero pressure and he'll earn a lot. I'm not sure our wages are insurmountable
Ben white was young talent who wasn't on 200k a week, arsenal invested on someone's who could potentially get better.

This is Harry's peak he's not some young prospect with potential to improve , if you're gonna pay 50 mil plus 200k wages you might as well go for someone that's world class and the finished article not Harry Maguire.

We really shot ourselves in foot with those contracts that we handed out.

Stactix

Hater. If I was director of football I would get these deals done! How is it other teams are able to get these kinda fees from players who are not better than ours? It is possible
Difference in wages and Utd seemingly being a sinkhole for players to come and regress.

Compare the salaries, I.e Brighton has no one currently on 100k+

Dean Henderson is/was on 100k.

Spurs have 2 players on 200k, Utd have 7 over 200k. Looking at mid table sides like Palace,Everton. Henderson would be in there top 3 earners if he moved there.

Cities new Forward alvarez is apparently on half Henderson was on being second keeper.. they also have less players on 200k+ Though I know they probably have some Saudi incentives on top.
Ederson is only on 65k apparently..

It's not really a surprise we still have players like Jones on 75k..

Stacks

There are different shaed of previously.

Rashford, Maguire and McTom have all been utter shit in general over the last two seasons.. Clubs are generally more likely to pay bigger amounts of money for player who are looking to be in an upward path in their carreers, than paying those amounts for players who havent performed for quite some time and have been in decline...

Not saying the tree of them are all useless players or anything, maybe some of them can still recover themselves at United again, refind their form and when in form clubs might be willing to pay those amounts again at one point.. But at this point, clubs are not going to pay those amounts for players who have been shit for the last two years.. Club are way more likely to overpay for (younger) players who are in an upward path because of the hope they havent reached their ceiling yet, and because they are afraid that prices/competition for those kind of players will only increase the longer they wait..
1 season and you are exaggerating massively. They helped us finished 2nd in 2021. Teams won't regard them has having been poor since they were looking at the end result. Some were fresh off a great international run. Ben White literally played 1 season in the top level for a Brighton team who conceeded more than us. Where is the trajectory on a relatively unproven high risk player? Like signing Wan Bissaka. It was a gamble as he hadn't proven much and turned out to be low level.

Ben white was young talent who wasn't on 200k a week, arsenal invested on someone's who could potentially get better.

This is Harry's peak
he's not some young prospect with potential to improve , if you're gonna pay 50 mil plus 200k wages you might as well go for someone that's world class and the finished article not Harry Maguire.

We really shot ourselves in foot with those contracts that we handed out.
True but City were interested at £60 million so his top level is seen as valuable enough by the best teams along with England national team. Ben White is like AWB to me.

Stacks

Difference in wages and Utd seemingly being a sinkhole for players to come and regress.

Compare the salaries, I.e Brighton has no one currently on 100k+

Dean Henderson is/was on 100k.

Spurs have 2 players on 200k, Utd have 7 over 200k. Looking at mid table sides like Palace,Everton. Henderson would be in there top 3 earners if he moved there.

Cities new Forward alvarez is apparently on half Henderson was on being second keeper.. they also have less players on 200k+ Though I know they probably have some Saudi incentives on top.
Ederson is only on 65k apparently..

It's not really a surprise we still have players like Jones on 75k..
sigh. Yeah.......

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The man has my full support and I have confidence as of now. I said a couple of weeks ago that my support for him, at this stage, would be contingent upon him not being yet another manager to believe he is fine to proceed with McTominay as a regular again this season. There is no patching up there, no ‘we’ll revisit again next year if we can’t get De Jong’, this has gone way beyond that - and if he took such a stance, I’d be wanting him out from 02 September.

I’m massively encouraged by his ability to call the obvious, not only as a mere suggestion, but seemingly as a matter of urgency, which is what it is. It gives me some hope that he will make the right calls going forward, and our aggressive pursuit of midfield options after the Brighton game shows me that the likes of Maguire, Rashford and Bruno will at least have some accountability this season and cannot simply just continue to be picked weekly regardless of what they are turning out.

Herman Toothrot

Seems like it’s going to be a very open interview.
Yeah, considering the circumstances, this is a pretty brave move by the press team to expose him to difficult questions in a very high-profile interview when he's only just getting to grips with the language.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Cannot wait to watch this.

Carra going in. Why did you take him of at half time then :lol:. ETH looked rattled by that question. Yea this will be interesting to watch.

I hope the best for ETH and if we can get some deals over the line like Casemiro and a attacker of high quality then there shouldn't be an excuse why we shouldn't be in the equation for top four. Especially if Arsenal and Spurs are in the mix and Liverpool slow start.

KeanoMagicHat

Cannot wait to watch this.

Very interesting and difficult questions. Carra and Neville asking harder questions than some politicians get. Nice change from the usual softballs you usually see on Sky and other shows. I'm surprised he agreed to answering them though.

TheLord

By your estimates, Mata would easily fetch 10 million because he's a seasoned campaigner with a winner's attitude, Matic would go for 15 million, Cavani would go for at least 10 million because strikers are so rare, and Lingard would fetch at least 15 million because he's only 29 and has loads of attacking potential. They went for a combined total of 0. :)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And how much did PSG and Newcastle intend to pay for them? What United thinks they are worth is pretty useless to get a feeling of how much they could get.

And I don't doubt that the players are rated, I just don't think any other club rates them at 50m each + their United wages. So to do a transfer either United, the player or the buying club has to somehow accept a worse deal than they want, and if you are calling for United to sell them just to get rid of them, then United is in the weakest position and would likely have to accept a lower fee to get rid of them.

It's not that I think the players are worthless, I just think it economically makes almost no sense to buy a player from United.

Tiber

He 'wants the right players, not just any players' then asks the club to sign the likes of a 33 year old Arnautović?

Its one or the other Erik

Witchking

Want him to succeed at United. Even if it means he gets United to mid table this season, it should be ok. We have to get players off this team. United feels like all 11 players are out of form.

Stacks

By your estimates, Mata would easily fetch 10 million because he's a seasoned campaigner with a winner's attitude, Matic would go for 15 million, Cavani would go for at least 10 million because strikers are so rare, and Lingard would fetch at least 15 million because he's only 29 and has loads of attacking potential. They went for a combined total of 0. :)
errrm no. These were all expiring contracts. The players I am talking are tied to long contracts. try again!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Pure delusion. You're quoting younger players on the up rather than at their peak or on the decline. Furthermore, WAGES.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
errrm no. These were all expiring contracts. The players I am talking are tied to long contracts. try again!
They left on a free, because no one wanted to buy them. Except Lingard, in that case United messed it up.

::sonny::

When you are a manager you are like a politician have to be always measured (not like bojo)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
1 season and you are exaggerating massively. They helped us finished 2nd in 2021. Teams won't regard them has having been poor since they were looking at the end result. Some were fresh off a great international run. Ben White literally played 1 season in the top level for a Brighton team who conceeded more than us. Where is the trajectory on a relatively unproven high risk player? Like signing Wan Bissaka. It was a gamble as he hadn't proven much and turned out to be low level.

True but City were interested at £60 million so his top level is seen as valuable enough by the best teams along with England national team. Ben White is like AWB to me.
Im not saying I necessarily agree with the valuation of the players like Wan Bissaka (definitely not by the way...) and Ben White.... I do think often players are overvalued after only a single great season.. Not only in England but everywhere..

Im just saying that clubs tend to pay a lot more for players who had one good season than players who were great in earlier season but were shit for a more recent period of times.. So Ben White and also Wan Bissaka are great examples of that..

So thats why I think indeed players like Maguire are undervalued in the market right now, whereas players like Ben White are often overvalued one year ago.. Just Like I think Maguire was massively overvalued when we bought him..

Thats why I am saying there is no way Rashford, Maguire and also McTominay could currently be sold for the values you are arguing..

Last edited:

Stacks

And how much did PSG and Newcastle intend to pay for them? What United thinks they are worth is pretty useless to get a feeling of how much they could get.

And I don't doubt that the players are rated, I just don't think any other club rates them at 50m each + their United wages. So to do a transfer either United, the player or the buying club has to somehow accept a worse deal than they want, and if you are calling for United to sell them just to get rid of them, then United is in the weakest position and would likely have to accept a lower fee to get rid of them.

It's not that I think the players are worthless, I just think it economically makes almost no sense to buy a player from United.
that's where negotiation skills or lackthereof come into play. PSG spent 45m on Icardi and 60m on Hakimi. Pretty sure an attacking forward with great historical output can fetch Hakimi money or more. Newcastle just spent £33 million on Botman, an uncapped Dutchman. Never heard of him, EVER. They signed Joe Willock from Arsenal for £27 million (uncapped Englishman). The baseline in the premier league is £30 million for teams like Newcastle. Taking a man utd starting midfielder would be a statement for moneybags Newcastle. A cool £40 million isn't unreasonable

Stacks

Pure delusion. You're quoting younger players on the up rather than at their peak or on the decline. Furthermore, WAGES.
these players tend to cost more than unproven players.......
They left on a free, because no one wanted to buy them. Except Lingard, in that case United messed it up.
they are all 33+ and over the hill bar Lingard which we messed up.
Im not saying I necessarily agree with the valuation of the players like Wan Bissaka and Ben White.... I do think often players are overvalued after only a single great season.. Not only in England but everywhere..

Im just saying that clubs tend to pay a lot more for players who had one good season than players who were great in earlier season but were shit for a more recent period of times.. So Ben White and also Wan Bissaka are great examples of that..

So thats why I think indeed players like Maguire are undervalued in the market right now, whereas players like Ben White are often overvalued one year ago.. Just Like I think Maguire was massively overvalued when we bought him..

Thats why I am saying there is no way Rashford, Maguire and also McTominay could currently be sold for the values you are arguing..
You might have a point except players like Maguire are still regarded the best English CB in the country along with Stones so highly rated PLUS England tax. no way he going for less than fiddy. Lukaku went for £67 million despite being shit for us. 14 months ago Rashford was sitting on 21 goals and 15 assists. Again McTominay ain't playing worse than dudes who were loaned out from the premier league, whom recently went for a potential £42 million to Forest as they did not prove they can hold it down at this level and thus built their rep in the CHAMPIONSHIP. How can that command a higher fee than a premier league regular for Man Utd who has played in European finals and played well against teams like Barcelona, PSG etc?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
these players tend to cost more than unproven players.......

they are all 33+ and over the hill bar Lingard which we messed up.

You might have a point except players like Maguire are still regarded the best English CB in the country along with Stones so highly rated PLUS England tax. no way he going for less than fiddy. Lukaku went for £67 million despite being shit for us. 14 months ago Rashford was sitting on 21 goals and 15 assists. Again McTominay ain't playing worse than dudes who were loaned out from the premier league, whom recently went for a potential £42 million to Forest as they did not prove they can hold it down at this level and thus built their rep in the CHAMPIONSHIP. How can that command a higher fee than a premier league regular for Man Utd who has played in European finals and played well against teams like Barcelona, PSG etc?
Cuckoo land.

Dansk

All those players you mentioned have two things in common: they haven't been absolutely terrible for the better part of two years, and they don't have incredibly high wages. Those two things are true for most of our players, and that's why nobody is interested in them. It's not as if we're struggling to hold onto them. The only player we could actually have sold was Lingard.

For what conceivable reason would any club pay £50m for Maguire when he has been not merely useless but an actual liability for United for so long? I would be genuinely surprised if anyone would pay half of that. He's not just on a run of bad form, he has been the worst player on the pitch more often than not for so long that people can barely remember a time before that.

Stacks

Cuckoo land.
So why does Maguire start for England and who is better?
All those players you mentioned have two things in common: they haven't been absolutely terrible for the better part of two years, and they don't have incredibly high wages. Those two things are true for most of our players, and that's why nobody is interested in them. It's not as if we're struggling to hold onto them. The only player we could actually have sold was Lingard.

For what conceivable reason would any club pay £50m for Maguire when he has been not merely useless but an actual liability for United for so long? I would be genuinely surprised if anyone would pay half of that. He's not just on a run of bad form, he has been the worst player on the pitch more often than not for so long that people can barely remember a time before that.
Rashford hit 36 G + A barely a year ago. Shaw was outstanding in the 2021 season (one season ago). Maguire was part of our defence which was 5th best in the league in 2021. None of this is 2 years or a long time. literally one season has merched into 2 for some reason. Have I slept through a year or something? The wages thing I can agree on/

Sviken

I don’t remember nani being a lazy player? Maybe not always effective. But he definitely wasn’t lazy.
Yeah, I agree. Nani wasn't lazy, he was just wildly inconsistent. One season he'd be a world beater and the next
To be fair it looks like EtH is just not answering the questions directly :lol:
If he answered them directly, he'd have to throw more than half the squad under the bus and we know how that worked out.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So why does Maguire start for England and who is better?
Being the best of a garbage group doesn't make you good or worth 60m. Especially if you happen to watch his games.

NoPace

I wonder if Ten Hag is just going to go full Ajax 2021/22 now:

------------------------------Striker(Haller)-------------------------------------
--------Sancho(Tadic)-------------------------------------Antony(Antony)
--------------------------------------Bruno(Berghuis)------------------------
----------Eriksen(Gravenberch)----------------------------------------------
------------------------------Casemiro(Alvarez)-------Dalot(Mazraoui)---
-----Shaw(Blind)-Martinez(Martinez)-Maguire(Timber)
-----------------------De Gea(Passveer)----------------------

Though you'd like to see a new RB and probably Martinez in Shaw's place with Maguire or Varane centrally and another RCB there.

The obvious way after the Malacia signing seemed to be to flip it on the sides, like this:

------------------------------Striker(Haller)-------------------------------------------
Sancho(Antony)-----------------------------------Bruno(Tadic-)--------------
-----------------Eriksen(Berghuis)---------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------Fred(Gravenberch)-----------------------
----------Malacia(Mazraoui)---Casemiro(Alvarez)------------------------
-----------Martinez(Timber)-Varane(Martinez)-Maguire(Blind)

and finish the window with a quick right sided CB/RB so Maguire and Varane can just rotate as the central defender. Seemed like Ten Hag wanted Timber, and Kehrer isn't great but he's a logical fit for the role and just went for cheap.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I wonder if Ten Hag is just going to go full Ajax 2021/22 now:

------------------------------Striker(Haller)-------------------------------------
--------Sancho(Tadic)-------------------------------------Antony(Antony)
--------------------------------------Bruno(Berghuis)------------------------
----------Eriksen(Gravenberch)----------------------------------------------
------------------------------Casemiro(Alvarez)-------Dalot(Mazraoui)---
-----Shaw(Blind)-Martinez(Martinez)-Maguire(Timber)
If you post it like that it's quite obvious that the Ajax team looks stronger. :lol:
Shaw, Maguire, Dalot, De Gea and obviously the vacant Striker spot need replacing.

Btw not saying that Blind is better than Shaw in general, but for the Ten Hag style he is.