Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Valencia Shin Crosses

Don't agree. Its the manager's call to pick a player. The Arsenal match was more important than '3 points' it was a season defining match. Beat them and United were right in the mix and their confidence would have been damaged. Casimero is United's best player, by a country mile, you just do not risk it at Palace, against some sides maybe, but not Selhurst Park. And Garnacho was desperately needed at 60 mins.
This is not hindsight, its pretty obvious stuff. ETH is good, but he is fallible.
I agree about Garnacho, but saying Arsenal away is more important than 3 points at CP is just idiocy considering we literally dropped the points. You can win the entire PL being average against the top sides and beating everyone else.

Holding Casemiro out of CP would have looked idiotic if he plays Sunday and we lose anyways, especially since a booking isn’t guaranteed on Wednesday.

glasgow 21

Its amazing not one has called it unlucky. We are so early in process yet Antony may well pack his bag and leave. The biggest mistake is the ref calling that goal against City. Licha was assaulted v Palace still showing the damage. Mctominay penalty not given. Arsenal game, Bruno winning the ball and Ramsdale contacting bruno is a pen in anyones book. All nothing from Var. Even less from media not even a discussion. Yes, I'm on Mctominay's back with criticism but that wont go away until he is no longer part of the picture ( he is protected from above). For the rest of the team and ETH I support the process. However, don't kid yourselves on here, there is now a clear agenda from the officials to give us nothing unless their hands are tied and its a clear punch in the penalty area. Arsenal 3rd goal Bruno's fault, out of position and not covering Zinchenko.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Don't agree. Its the manager's call to pick a player. The Arsenal match was more important than '3 points' it was a season defining match. Beat them and United were right in the mix and their confidence would have been damaged. Casimero is United's best player, by a country mile, you just do not risk it at Palace, against some sides maybe, but not Selhurst Park. And Garnacho was desperately needed at 60 mins.
This is not hindsight, its pretty obvious stuff. ETH is good, but he is fallible.
It’s bonkers to even think we were in any kind of title race, let alone criticise the manager for playing our best team at Palace. United’s aim this season is top four, getting back into the CL is really all that matters right now. No game is worth more than 3 points, fans maybe buy into that stuff but no managers do.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I pray he prioritises the midfield and makes us dominant in there because until that happens we will continue do nothing serious.

fallengt

It's really strange to start doubting ETH now. He should be given some leeway.
It's a recurring theme that United's 2nd half performance usually takes nosedive.
We got away with it few times, it was always going to bite us eventually, understandably so but last two games especially were one of the worst second halves under ETH. 2nd half against real sociedad away was another one

Is it fitness, lack of squad depth or mental issue? Nobody knows. It's something ETH must address

Paul778

He needs to magic up some options from his squad cos we're not buying anyone else and McT and Fred as the only senior bench options isn't going to see us through to May.

The other alternative is the starting 11 kicks the gas harder in the first 60 mins to take the pressure off the bench. I find that equally hard to believe based on our current bench options.

Maybe Iqbal/Pellestri can get some trust from ETH and the returning Sancho return with some form. Not very likely though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Mental that Henry is that much more reasonable and positive than any of the United lot.

I get the impression most of the United pundits still have something up their arse over Ole and/or Ronaldo and are halfway to actively wanting Ten Hag to fail. Feck them.

Cathy Ferguson

We are one injury away from fielding Garnacho Weghorst Antony as our front line. Hopefully Sancho is back soon. ETH has shown enough already that he is the right man for the job, despite overspending on Antony. Our attacking play must improve ahead of next season.

smokeyhillstreet

Before the season started I would have taken top 6 as long as there was noticeable progress and an established playing style. If we finish Top 4 I’d be delighted with that and a trophy would be a nice bonus on top! ETH doing a great job in my opinion.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Vapor trail

Rival legend with more objectivity than fans.

I also agree with the time in development. If the players had more guts about them at the start of the season how different could things have panned out. Oftentimes with Ole it felt like the players at his disposal was above his level of management. With Erik it feels like the players at his disposal are significantly levels below his vision and what he can offer the team. I feel like every individual below Dalot, Rashford, Casemiro and Martinez are restricting the manager.

I think the two factors that will place United back at a esteemed position is getting the right owners via a new sale that will back the manager. Sorting out the scouting infrastructure so that some solid recommendations can be made for emerging talent who can offer an immediate impact within 2 seasons.

crossy1686

career ending
Just the way it is these days. It’s a race to be the first to call someone shite so you can say you were right all along when they eventually get sacked.

The distance we’ve come in 6 months is staggering, especially when you consider how long Arteta has been at arsenal to get to this point, and we went toe to toe with them yesterday for most of the match. Give him a year and the players he wants and watch this space.

Tarrou

the last week hasn't been amazing but I'm astonished at the progress we've made in such little time

was always 100% in favour of his appointment but I honestly expected a big struggle for top 4 with the state we were in last year

handled the Ronaldo saga perfectly

and he's improving players which is the key

Antony seems like the one blip so far, but the club should have the transfer structure in better shape in the future so we're not overly reliant on the managers picks and we don't rush and overpay on transfers - which is how it should be

Withnail

Yeah it's a bit mad. He's exceeded expectations. Let's hammer him as soon as we drop some points.

If we had have beaten Crystal Palace it would have broken Jose's record for the longest winning streak since Fergie was around. As it is he just matched it and has managed a 70% win rate in his first 30 games. He's the real deal and he needs a lot more time to flesh out the squad with players suited to his game.

We've a good chance of a trophy and top 4 which would be good for his first year. Hopefully we get through these 10 games in the next 5 weeks without too many injuries.

Waynne

Provided we get new ownership how many of those do you think can be signed in the summer
No idea how far along the club are with possible targets and backup targets for the summer.
Also depends on player sales. There's a lot to do and maybe it cannot all be accomplished in one window but a solid 3 or 4 new players should put us in good stead for the next season. I'd be happy with that IMO.

fallengt

Post the full quotes!

Tbh i wouldn't get excited just yet. "Development" means feck all with this club. Gave Ole another 10 years and he still wouldn't win that EL final.
ETH probably will change that but he still need support from recruitment team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The problem is you were under the illusion we were ever in a title race.
Palace was the more winnable game. That by definition made it the more important game. Any points at Arsenal was a bonus. The manager did the right thing,

The_Order

It's a recurring theme that United's 2nd half performance usually takes nosedive.
We got away with it few times, it was always going to bite us eventually, understandably so but last two games especially were one of the worst second halves under ETH. 2nd half against real sociedad away was another one

Is it fitness, lack of squad depth or mental issue? Nobody knows. It's something ETH must address
It's all three.

Our poor away performances have gone in noticed until now. We need midfield reinforcements urgently. Otherwise, top 4 will be a massive struggle.

Tarrou

Tbh i wouldn't get excited just yet. "Development" means feck all with this club. Gave Ole another 10 years and he still wouldn't win that EL final.
impressive that you managed to shoehorn a whinge about Ole and the EL final into a reply about Thierry Henry praising our manager

crossy1686

career ending
United already have more purpose and togetherness than I've seen in 10 years. There's enough evidence on the pitch to support the manager with whatever transfers he thinks he needs to push on.

Judas

Open to offers
What are people like you going to do if we are ever successful again? You take so much pleasure out of being bitter and angry.

Baneofthegame

Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me think some of our fan base is absolutely crazy.

Lost 3 points in added time in the space of three days and suddenly it's "ETH out" "Ole would of done better".

Don't jump back on the bandwagon.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me think some of our fan base is absolutely crazy.

Lost 3 points in added time in the space of three days and suddenly it's "ETH out" "Ole would of done better".

I don't know why you are surprised...This place has always been like this, go check the "He's Yong and lernin" thread on Ronaldo from a decade ago. People here wanted Fergie sacked at one point :lol:

Godfather

To be honest much of Arsenal's development is down to actually buying the right, young and hungry players in the last couple of years. In 3 years time we'll have a Casemiro that's 33 years old, a 32 year old Varane, a 31 year old Bruno and a 30 year old Shaw. So many of your top performers in their 30ies. DDG will be 35 by then. So I'm not sure we are much comparable to Arsenal unless we start investing in the right players for a change. Let's hope for owners that will be happy to spend and invest in this team.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen

Im writing down names this time around. Same idiots who were ranting at the start of the season after one loss saying Pochettino was the clear answer.. he couldnt even let PSG's front 3 shine :lol: we're going to have a great second half of the season, these are mostly winnable games.

croadyman

It's all three.

Our poor away performances have gone in noticed until now. We need midfield reinforcements urgently. Otherwise, top 4 will be a massive struggle.
Yeah I think he needs that as well but isn't willing to let McTominay go and get replacement

romufc

Its a joke right. Its as if people do not watch the game and look at the result only. I advice people who are questioning Ten Hag to go watch 90 mins of the City, Palace and Arsenal game. Then go watch 90 mins of the same games last season to have an idea of what progress is.

I had one poster claim that because we dont sell McTominay, then Ten Hag should go. "If Murtough and ETH cannot see this then we aren't going anywhere with them too because these are decisions that turn top four sttugglers into challengers"

People have put title expectations on a manager after months. Absolute joke.

Ten Lasso

We have one of the best managers in the game, and are way ahead of schedule based on the work that he's done. Do I need to remind you what we looked like this time last year?

Unbelievable. You deserve Ole, Moyes and van Gaal.

CM10

There's a lot of truth in this. Also factor in that we were missing 3 of our first-team players and Arsenal were at full strength (with the possible exception of Jesus), ten Hag is doing a great job and there isn't much between the two teams.

The summer window will be huge for us. If we can continue what we started last summer and bring in another few players to improve the starting team and phase out the squad players who aren't up to scratch, I have every confidence ten Hag will have us challenging next season. It's never that simple for us though, I'm fully expecting some complications with the takeover or FFP to impinge on our summer window.

Lost bear

There's a lot of truth in this. Also factor in that we were missing 3 of our first-team players and Arsenal were at full strength (with the possible exception of Jesus), ten Hag is doing a great job and there isn't much between the two teams.

The summer window will be huge for us. If we can continue what we started last summer and bring in another few players to improve the starting team and phase out the squad players who aren't up to scratch, I have every confidence ten Hag will have us challenging next season. It's never that simple for us though, I'm fully expecting some complications with the takeover or FFP to impinge on our summer window.
Totally agree about ETH. Things are really looking up for Utd for the first time in years. Can’t help but have faith in the guy after the transformation we’ve seen at the club, already.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Totally agree about ETH. Things are really looking up for Utd for the first time in years. Can’t help but have faith in the guy after the transformation we’ve seen at the club, already.
The same thing you wrote was said about previous managers.

When LVG was around, we hit top spot in the league at one point, then lost/drew a series of games. We did win an FA Cup, though.
He got fired.

When Jose joined, in his first season we won 2 trophies.

Then when Ole joined, and we won a lot of games initially, by big scorelines, the same was said. We won zero trophies.

So before you begin to congratulate each other on ETH's good performance, how about we win something first?
We are one of, if not the biggest spenders in World football and we haven't won any trophies in a long time. Those are the facts. If ETH really is one of the best, we should be winning a trophy this season and competing for all trophies next season.
I'm not saying that ETH is a bad manager - but we need to reserve judgement. If we can get 4th place this season, it'll be a good season for him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably, those who wanted Conte and Poch
Yeah, though if the poll on the Caf was anything to go by, they should be a very small minority as EtH had 80%+ support in that thread. But yeah, weird to start doubting him when we're still in 4 cups and 3rd on the log (could have been in a title race, had the past week gone differently). Surely that's all surpassing what anyone could have expected from this season?

Strootman's Finger

I see your point in the significance of beating Arsenal vs Palace.

I don't agree about Garnacho though, he is a kid, he can't be expected to come on and win us every game, especially games like this. And Arsenal was dominating us, we couldn't even get out of our own half, what good would Garnacho have been?

arthurka

Yeah, though if the poll on the Caf was anything to go by, they should be a very small minority as EtH had 80%+ support in that thread. But yeah, weird to start doubting him when we're still in 4 cups and 3rd on the log (could have been in a title race, had the past week gone differently). Surely that's all surpassing what anyone could have expected from this season?
Absolutely it´s been much better than expected.

mav_9me

The same thing you wrote was said about previous managers.

When LVG was around, we hit top spot in the league at one point, then lost/drew a series of games. We did win an FA Cup, though.
He got fired.

When Jose joined, in his first season we won 2 trophies.

Then when Ole joined, and we won a lot of games initially, by big scorelines, the same was said. We won zero trophies.

So before you begin to congratulate each other on ETH's good performance, how about we win something first?
We are one of, if not the biggest spenders in World football and we haven't won any trophies in a long time. Those are the facts. If ETH really is one of the best, we should be winning a trophy this season and competing for all trophies next season.
I'm not saying that ETH is a bad manager - but we need to reserve judgement. If we can get 4th place this season, it'll be a good season for him.
The difference is how ETH has changed our style of play. We are moving to a pressing and possession type of football.

Ole and Jose didn't really do much for our style of football.

LVG did, and improved our possession but couldn't take the next step.

Point is for me performances are what matter, results and trophies follow.