Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

fallengt

Shaw as CB, Weghorst as midfielder.
It's time for him to test Maguire as number one more time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's handled our suspension/injury crisis so well that most people don't even know we're having one :lol: that being said I thought his decision to start Maguire was mental and on a different day it costs us, crazy Solskjaer made him captain after six months.

Fridge chutney

Seriously. Can’t be said enough. It was possibly the best Weghorst has looked for us. Brilliant management.
It also takes time to learn the style of a new league and settle into a new team. I think Weghorst is progressing well on those fronts and it manifested in some good play today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That second half display was exemplary. Leeds wore themselves out while ETH dropped Weghorst into midfield, put Sabitzer at right back to collect the ball and pushed Dalot inside. All of a sudden we got a foothold when they started having gaps in their defense. That was the biggest contrast between two halves this season, no?

And Varane spared the Leeds thuggery.

Swedish_Plumber

He's working miracles with this squad, absolute miracles

I love that he's our manager. We're gonna be a European force again real soon - yeah I said it
Absolutely. We’d be in big trouble again with another average manager. We’ve got it right bringing him in.

Superunknown

I love him. I'm so happy that he's our manager and I have total faith that he knows what he's doing. He was spot on with his changes in the second half.

King Kendrick

On a serious note, with Antony/Eriksen out, i wonder if we could get a front 6 of
MR
Garnacho-Sancho-Pellistri
Bruno-Sabitzer
In lower tempo games where control rather than energy is required. I’ll be the first to say Bruno gets nullified a bit but I think we’re missing the passing range and ability that Eriksen/Casemiro provided dearly right now, although Sabitzer has done better than I expected given his immediately being thrown in without understanding the tactical system. I think Sancho linking up that front 3 would be a sight to see as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m fully convinced this man will win us a premier league title.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Love the relationship between ETH and rashford. Seems to be an occurring thing aswell moving rashford central and then he bags us a goal.

ti vu

Happy with him and overall progress.

I believe he see the issue too, but too stubborn by standing by his countryman WW and keep starting him as CF. Made the recent games harder than it should.

Strelok

Happy with him and overall progress.

I believe he see the issue too, but too stubborn by standing by his countryman WW and keep starting him as CF. Made the recent games harder than it should.
Imo the reason why he keep starting WW is because the match is 90' and with the current situation of our personnel it's not wise to go full speed the whole 90' every matches. He wants to wait till the opponents are a bit more tired before switching to a faster tempo (by using fresh subs) to score. Both last two matches to some extent had a same script. First part is slow, cumbersome. Second part is fast and we score. Only difference was we could keep a clean sheet this time.

Imo it's quite understandable if he wants to do this. We have a thin squad, many important players unavailable and too many matches to play. This will help us to prevent our main starters from burn outs/injures which imo is very likely to happen if we keep going full speed the whole 90' like before.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
That was masterclass tactical move dropped Weghorst into no 10 and played Rashford as no 9. No one would see it through.
He doesn’t actually see numbers. At Ajax he said it is about zones. All players should be able to move from zone to zone and know what to in that zone. You can drive an opponent crazy that way.

ti vu

Imo the reason why he keep starting WW is because the match is 90' and with the current situation of our personnel it's not wise to go full speed the whole 90' every match. He wants to wait till the opponents a bit more tired before switching to a faster tempo (by using fresh subs) to score. Both last two matches to some extent had a same script. First part is slow, cumbersome. Second part is fast and we score. Only difference was we could keep a clean sheet this time.

Imo it's quite understandable if he wants to do this. We have a thin squad, many important players unavailable and too many matches to play. This will help us to prevent our main starter from burn outs/injures which imo is very likely to happen if we keep going full speed the whole 90' like before.
IMO, it's more about the inability due to WW limit when playing as CF. The winner in ETH eventually took over from his stubborn self.

Nobody wants to maintain a goal down yet putting pressure on midfield, and defense with no out ball( the midweek game).

This game we're less worried about chasing an equalizer. However, it's not a without concern. Leeds had chances with our mistaken possession. You can't never welcome incoming set piece and counter however good your defend is, again without an outball. We're not really with all that to begin with. And especially no now with missing of key players. Prevention is better than reaction. I really doubt ETH could account for all of that, and felt comfortable for us to keep the scoreline at 0-0 until the change did come.

Abraxas

Doing very well to work around this squad. It's not brilliant in a lot of places and when we have to lose certain players the performance and quality take a big hit. But he manages to find a way by using the bench or with creative ideas (Shaw CB, Weghorst deep) to change games in our favour.

Robbie Boy

He's doing an absolutely fantastic job navigating through this crazy fixture list, especially with fatigue and injuries to key players.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Another tactical win for him. He basically went out to grind a result and did it. A bit like LvG but we know this is the exception under him.

Could have been even easier if Bruno finished one of those 1st half chances.

Alek M

Da manic one
Imo the reason why he keep starting WW is because the match is 90' and with the current situation of our personnel it's not wise to go full speed the whole 90' every matches. He wants to wait till the opponents are a bit more tired before switching to a faster tempo (by using fresh subs) to score. Both last two matches to some extent had a same script. First part is slow, cumbersome. Second part is fast and we score. Only difference was we could keep a clean sheet this time.

Imo it's quite understandable if he wants to do this. We have a thin squad, many important players unavailable and too many matches to play. This will help us to prevent our main starters from burn outs/injures which imo is very likely to happen if we keep going full speed the whole 90' like before.
This!

Strelok

IMO, it's more about the inability due to WW limit when playing as CF. The winner in ETH eventually took over from his stubborn self.

Nobody wants to maintain a goal down yet putting pressure on midfield, and defense with no out ball( the midweek game).

This game we're less worried about chasing an equalizer. However, it's not a without concern. Leeds had chances with our mistaken possession. You can't never welcome incoming set piece and counter however good your defend is, again without an outball. We're not really with all that to begin with. And especially no now with missing of key players. Prevention is better than reaction. I really doubt ETH could account for all of that, and felt comfortable for us to keep the scoreline at 0-0 until the change did come.
Agree with the bold part however imo ETH did have a plan to attack in the last match but it didn't work out like he thought. For example like you said he moved Malacia into the midfield hoping we could fix our ball progressing with that.

Imo ETH so far has proved to be pretty practical and flexible. He's not stubborn at all imo. So if he keeps starting WW there must be a good reason behind. Anyone could see WW is not good enough and hinders out attack. Of course ETH would see that too.

And surely prevention is better than reaction. But it'd come with a cost. I was of the opinion to sub WW in only when the match is somewhat decided, or safe. However that means our main starters like Rashford will have to play at full speed for 70' instead. We simply have too many important matches atm and Leeds is probably the least important given how Spurs and Newcastle did lately. Let's see if WW would start against Barca but imo it's very very unlikely.

TheReligion

Abusive
I love him but that performance was worrying. I know we are missing half a team but we should still be able to show a lot better than that against the likes of Leeds. Hopefully just a bit of a blip because Leicester will tear us apart if we play like that against them.
:lol:

FujiVice

First time since 2004 since we've done City, Liverpool and Leeds in the same season. Happy days.

sirAlexsglasses

I couldn’t believe that people were doubting him
early on, I knew he was the right man for the job, he’s working absolute miracles and punching well above his weight with our squad. Honestly don’t believe we need to spend obscene amounts of money on players when we are sold. We just need the right players, and I trust his judgment on who they are. Players will want to come to us now as they can clearly see the improvement he has brought to the team and to individuals. The new owners had better not think about replacing him with a “sexy name” as we already have the right man to return us as a super power.

Dread Devil

Very clever management today….he knew our midfield would be over run again, Fred and Sabitzer don’t know each other and it seems he decided it would be better to bypass the midfield a bit more than he would normally want to..

He played Shaw in central defence ahead of the Barca game, gave Dalot some minutes ahead of the same game and gave Varane a rest…

It could have all gone wrong with mistakes with long passes from Maguire, De Gea and a back pass from Shaw but we got lucky..

The subs were great and changed the game…

We are set for Barca and I hope a team of

De Gea
Dalot
Varane
Shaw
Malacia
Casemiro
Sabitzer
Fernandes
Sancho
Rashford
Garnacho

I hope he plays Garnacho ahead of Weghort who was great in the 10 position as Garnacho will scare them….

Ralph MIlne

Very clever management today….he knew our midfield would be over run again, Fred and Sabitzer don’t know each other and it seems he decided it would be better to bypass the midfield a bit more than he would normally want to..

He played Shaw in central defence ahead of the Barca game, gave Dalot some minutes ahead of the same game and gave Varane a rest…

It could have all gone wrong with mistakes with long passes from Maguire, De Gea and a back pass from Shaw but we got lucky..

De Gea
Dalot
Varane
Shaw
Malacia
Casemiro
Sabitzer
Fernandes
Sancho
Rashford
Garnacho

I hope he plays Garnacho ahead of Weghort who was great in the 10 position as Garnacho will scare them….
Sabitzer is banned

Blood Mage

Thought he got the team wrong today but it's great to see how motivated and fired up he's got us. The days of our heads dropping at the slightest bit of adversity are gone.

Argie here

Why didn't Martinez start if he was suspended midweek?
Im pretty sure because Lisandro had trouble defending Bamford with aereal balls midweek
When they replaced Bamford he inmediatelly put Lisandro on the pitch

Fingeredmouse

De Gea
Dalot
Varane
Shaw
Malacia
Casemiro
Sabitzer
Fernandes
Sancho
Rashford
Garnacho

Sabitzer is suspended I'm afraid.

Tiber

With a manager like Ten Hag this season would have been a great chance for a real title challenge for the first time in years.

Arsenal aren't truly special and City and Liverpool are both having a down season. Its a pity it came so early in his time here, when the squad is under resourced and he doesn't even have a decent striker nevermind a world class one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
100%

Weghorst gave us the fight we needed in midfield where Fernandes just wasn't able/wanting to.

He won so many 2nd balls, pressed hard to win the ball with fred for our 2nd goal and played the killer pass too.

Say it quietly but maybe.... Rashford up top and Fernandes LW in the future?
To me Bruno stays AM. Weghorst as AM today was more like plan B. Sometime not every plan A can work and this is why I have been praising ETH's tactical management. He always have Plan B and C when the Plan A doesn't work.