Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 110 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 265 70.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Huddsred

Excellent news. He has a huge job on his hands to rebuild this squad and I just hope we're patient with him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No charisma? Well he is Dutch.. you’d think his fellow countrymen would know this..
I've always believed that the Dutch are the real world inspiration for Vulcans. Highly emotional and a little bit insane so they go to great lengths to maintain a calm mind and logical head.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Great!

I haven’t been excited about a managerial appointment since Fergie stepped away. I am now. Got a good feeling about ETH!

Infra-red

Seriously though, this is great news. He's a top talent who has demonstrated an ability to coach exciting, attacking, possession-based and, crucially, winning football.

It's an excellent move.

suheilsworld

I’ve always been optimistic after a manager appointment. But just too tired to get excited this time. Just pray and hope we start an upward curve soon. And we can see some positive changes in terms or recruitment, play and man management

crossy1686

career ending
Great it's finally confirmed, and I'm glad it's not Pochettino or Rodgers.

But we've got a massive rebuild on our hands and he'll be gone by April if nothing changes behind the scenes. No manager can get these cnuts playing to a level that's trophy worthy.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What's the deal with McLaren ? He was around during our greatest era in history and knows the club well, why pushback?
Its probabaly nothing. Maybe one or the other are not convinced but do you really prevent your new manager to put his team together? Unlikely

Kaos

The McClaren pushback is bizarre. One of our most successful ever assistant managers, knows the club well, has worked with Ten Hag in the past, knows English football very well, bags of experience. I mean he can't be any worse than the Kurt Angle impersonator we currently have.

Chairman Steve

I reckon if McClaren did come, it’d be a short term stint to help get ETH and MVDG on their feet at United and English football.

It’d be a nice counterbalance in the coaching staff with a younger coach like RVP for example.

crossy1686

career ending
Why does the club not want Mclaren?
We can only presume it's because he's either too close to Fergie or Fergie's old school methods, doesn't have the hunger anymore and they don't want another Phelan knocking around the place or they want someone else who's the best in class at something that isn't being part of United's treble years

IWat

With McLaren it could be as simple as him wanting higher wages due to his experience than we'd typically pay to an assistant. Wouldn't worry, I assume the fundamentals of what ten Hag wanted in terms of staff were ironed out before he put pen to paper.

Varun

Staff
Not been this excited about a managerial appointment since Ralf Rangnick

ti vu

Like what Moyes did when he first came -- got rid of all of Fergie's staff.
The difference is what kind ties those staff represent. You have group of staffs backed by SAF that just walked the league with him. Moyes simply kicked them out with no second thought, for his own staffs with no experience for this level of expectation as coaches. Don't fix what is not broken is applicable here.

The situation is different now. The remaining coaching staffs are associated with a very bad period. Fletcher is not that experienced. Mike Phelan seems like being marginalized under RR, and he didn't look like he contributed any positive when Ole was still at wheel. RR's own staffs are not with great reputation. They were an emergency recruitment because RR didn't have his coaching staffs, as he had not been in coaching business. This situation is a complete mess which warrant a complete overhaul and rebuild.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Give him the staff he wants
Thinking about this. It might be that vdg is his no.2 but Steve is that next in line who can also offer him his experience of the club and speaks English (thought I read THs English was so so?) ... for the money he'd cost, drop in the ocean if he eases TH in.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I reckon if McClaren did come, it’d be a short term stint to help get ETH and MVDG on their feet at United and English football.

It’d be a nice counterbalance in the coaching staff with a younger coach like RVP for example.
We brought Phelan back, so im sure McL is more than fine

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally. Fantastic news. Best managerial appointment we've made since Sir Alex and I truly think he'll rebuild us properly and have us performing.

DevilRed

At least I have hope now. We've gone out and gotten the best manager in the market (outside of pep and klopp).

We finally haven't gone for the easy choice or the unemployed guy.

Its going to take time to build something, but it really does feel like with all the departures and now a brand new manager coming in, its a proper rebuild.

The Oracle

He's the manager the majority of us wanted, so let's get behind him and hopefully he will get us competing again.

Vapor trail

I'm extremely excited, this is a massive move.
It's a big step in the right direction, the club for the first time in a long time have gone for a manager who has much to prove but is also on an upward trajectory. Modernised ideas, approach and philosophy. In addition to Ragnick in this consultancy role and the revised scouting infrastructure these are the necessary procedural changes to impact effective change.