Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The dressing room runs has had the authority instead of the manager for a number of years. The same dressing room also enjoys unquestioned continuous support from a section of the fanbase.
And, on top, also from the top management. Ed was always protecting the players hence they could do whatever they wanted

The King Eric

Half that dressing room won't be there next season so who cares what they think.
This is my thoughts on it.. We already know 6 who are gone, whether they cause disruption or not is irrelevant.. that is a big change in the dressing room alone, added to that potential sales of players.. there is going to be a big shift personnel.. either through contract expiration or sales

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He won't walk. Anybody who believes that a manager will resign and walk away from a huge pay-out if he is sacked instead knows very little about how life works.
Ole would've been the ideal candidate to resign, but even he stayed till he was sacked.
Explain?

Failed PL spell already on his record and with zero other managerial credentials to land the top job at club like United, hits the jackpot and gets an opportunity A) he never deserved nor B) will ever get again - and has United coursing through his veins - and you think he would EVER have walked away on his own accord?

mctrials23

Its already started. I wait for the fans to turn on the next manager whilst backing the players while they downtool and the board looks on.

These fans also share the blame for the circus we've become, blindly backing the players while they throw manager after manager under the bus.

I mean, that tweet is just absolutely hilarious. Thats basically saying that the players think he is a good coach but he might not be able to deal with the amount of shit they are going to put him through. They are acting like they are not 100% responsible for the way they treat the manager and that when they throw him under the bus there wasn't anything else that could have been done. Mind boggling.

Greck

Half that dressing room won't be there next season so who cares what they think.
Well that's a worrying clue that the leaks are coming from the half that will be here. The bad eggs very much likely include established first team names.

UncleBob

Its already started. I wait for the fans to turn on the next manager whilst backing the players while they downtool and the board looks on.

These fans also share the blame for the circus we've become, blindly backing the players while they throw manager after manager under the bus.

:lol:

Why do people keep falling for this?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Can't wait to see him calling out rashford on the pitch with a few abusive words (preferably in english) thrown in for good measure and then having to see him kicked out of the club for good.

R'hllor

Another 'exclusive' from the Mirror :rolleyes:

People being fake pissed at this, just so they could use it as a reason to have a go, if tomorrow emerges news that Pogba started following United on other platforms, maybe changed his bio into something that could look as glimpse of him staying, same bunch would lose their mind.

Real Name

Can't wait to see him calling out rashford on the pitch with a few abusive words (preferably in english) thrown in for good measure and then having to see him kicked out of the club for good.
On the other hand I cant wait for ETH to get Rashford back on track with some smart managing and approach.

klayton88

I've just watched this and had to laugh. Mostly about how he drills his teams to play out from the back and is known for having CB's who are comfortable on the ball and can carry it forward... everything most of our CBs can't do!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've just watched this and had to laugh. Mostly about how he drills his teams to play out from the back and is known for having CB's who are comfortable on the ball and can carry it forward... everything most of our CBs can't do!

What is that abomination in the thumbnail. It looks like a hunchback troll. They need to stop putting these "arts" as thumbnail.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

The club are delusional if they don't think a complete overhaul is required. If they don't want to make too many changes to the current playing staff then they should have just hired Pochettino.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I mean, that tweet is just absolutely hilarious. Thats basically saying that the players think he is a good coach but he might not be able to deal with the amount of shit they are going to put him through. They are acting like they are not 100% responsible for the way they treat the manager and that when they throw him under the bus there wasn't anything else that could have been done. Mind boggling.

Spot on. It's just outrageous to see that the players blame only the manager like it's the manager who is on the pitch, not them. But yeah, this is about to change, unless the board feels that the players need to be super protected and the blame lies on the manager, which I don't understand at all. Like, what's there to protect? It's not like Rashford or Lingard is somekind of a relic or a talisman for United, they are random geezers now who are unfit to wear the shirt and need to be shipped out this summer.

And yes, Woodward has ruined the team by giving players the golden chance to down tools and not being feared of being sold or sat on the bench. As an entrepreneur and paying salary for 6 employees, I cannot understand the logic behind it. If my employees are unmotivated and are downing tools, then it's needed to have a chat and analyse the situation. If there are promises made or some fixes to be done, but still the level is below average, then you question the motivation again and tell that it's a free country, please choose another employer if you cannot be at your best. And then you part ways, not increase the salary AND ACCEPT the mediocrity. This is the start of a downfall.

And I have experience for 3 years with my company, but Ed has vastly superior experience compared to me and still these actions were made. Why?

Reactions: Cheimoon

goptun

The club are delusional if they don't think a complete overhaul is required. If they don't want to make too many changes to the current playing staff then they should have just hired Pochettino.
I'm sure the higherups will be aware of the dire situation (the fact that Murtough is now running the footballing operations and his first two appointments have been Rangnick and Ten Hag is a damn good start). However, making it clear to the entire footballing world that we are about to embark on a desparate rebuild is probably not in our best interests.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
In an ideal world we'd sweep the entire squad clean with maybe 3-4 exceptions. In reality, due to contracts and high wages making them hard to shift, we are likely to see a fair few stay who don't have a future beyond the next season. I am hoping that in this scenario ten Hag manages to salvage something from some of them and they will also need to grab that chance with both hands - e.g. imagine a scenario where AWB listens to what the manager wants him to do and puts in the work on the training ground. He might then play well in pre-season and get himself into being a regular starter for next season.

The only area where I think we must buy two guaranteed starters this summer is in midfield. Two top class CMs would probably make even our current roster of defenders look way better than they do at the moment. Firstly they'd be comfortable taking a simple pass into midfield under pressure without giving it away as Fred and McTominay do constantly. Second, they would not allow the other team's CB to run 50 yards without any pressure and cause an attacking overload for our defence. Clearly we need players in a few more positions, but for me if we can only make 2-3 signings then 2 of those have to be in midfield. After that I would look at a left footed attacking player who can play on the right opposite Sancho. If there is a 4th signing I would buy a CF.

Of course I'm a clueless cnut, but I look forward to finding out if my amateur analysis gets anywhere close to what ends up happening. I suspect the first signing will be a RB :lol:

Cantonagotmehere

Not sure how we can believe a word about reports referring to 'what the players say'. When it's probably Lingard, and maybe 1 or 2 others. Those reports always ring of bull shite to me.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Spot on. It's just outrageous to see that the players blame only the manager like it's the manager who is on the pitch, not them. But yeah, this is about to change, unless the board feels that the players need to be super protected and the blame lies on the manager, which I don't understand at all. Like, what's there to protect? It's not like Rashford or Lingard is somekind of a relic or a talisman for United, they are random geezers now who are unfit to wear the shirt and need to be shipped out this summer.

And yes, Woodward has ruined the team by giving players the golden chance to down tools and not being feared of being sold or sat on the bench. As an entrepreneur and paying salary for 6 employees, I cannot understand the logic behind it. If my employees are unmotivated and are downing tools, then it's needed to have a chat and analyse the situation. If there are promises made or some fixes to be done, but still the level is below average, then you question the motivation again and tell that it's a free country, please choose another employer if you cannot be at your best. And then you part ways, not increase the salary AND ACCEPT the mediocrity. This is the start of a downfall.

And I have experience for 3 years with my company, but Ed has vastly superior experience compared to me and still these actions were made. Why?
I don't think this will be the case, if the board were on the players' side or dissatisfied with Rangnick then Ducker, Peach and Stone would've been briefed on it by now.

paintycanned

Supports
portadown fc
The first thing the manager must change is the attitude of a lot of the big name players in the team, as the old saying goes there is no I in team.

I’m loving my life

In these one to ones with ETH which are being reported, I imagine that the players will insist that their agents, PR people and social media assistants will be present? Perhaps some won’t even feel they actually need to turn up themselves

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Similar stuff was posted about Solskjaer as well before he managed United.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So many here overestimate the player power next season. Lots will be gone, new ones come in, some will want the change so whoever is not buying in will be shipped out or frozen out.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t wait to see ten Hags reaction in training when he’s doing pressing games like the rondo and sees that Maguire is useless at it :lol:

dubplate warrior

Similar stuff was posted about Solskjaer as well before he managed United.
I remember that, but it was more about him shouting at players in training telling them to shoot. It has never been anywhere near as detailed or thought out as the things you see from ETH, they are worlds apart.

I get more and more annoyed thinking about the fact we wasted 3 years on Ole and realistically have to spend another 2 years to become a competitive team again. Damn you Ed Woodward.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Like what? Ole was never a successfup manager to start with
I remember fans getting exited about a video of Ole shouting at players not shooting enough for example.

I remember that, but it was more about him shouting at players in training telling them to shoot. It has never been anywhere near as detailed or thought out as the things you see from ETH, they are worlds apart.

I get more and more annoyed thinking about the fact we wasted 3 years on Ole and realistically have to spend another 2 years to become a competitive team again. Damn you Ed Woodward.
Yeah lets hope Ten Hag has the charisma and autority needed for this lot to raise their game and do the instructions.

I remember fans getting exited about a video of Ole shouting at players not shooting enough for example.
Pretty feckin certain that "shoot" video was in fact used as a constant piss take as to what level of manager we had brought in to coach our players. Whilst City had Pep and Liverpool had Klopp, almost rewriting what is possible in the Premier League with incredible coaching, we brought in a guy just walking around shouting "shoot" :lol:

Tarrou

Yeah pretty certain that no fecker here was getting excited by the “shoot” video..

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Well i remember clearly a lot of fans getting exited about it after the Mourinho disaster in his last season.

-Supreme-

Rashford responds to Ten Hag

”shut the f**k up you kn*b“

”come and say that to my face”

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
On the other hand I cant wait for ETH to get Rashford back on track with some smart managing and approach.
Good point, well made. There is still a very good player lurking there. In fact, you could probably say the same about several of our underperformed players. I wonder whether these would have de lined so dramatically if say, Klopp or Pep were in charge

BuzzKillington

I’m not sure whether this deserves it own thread so have posted it here, and apologies to all but there’s a significant amount of nominative determinism in this post.

But, how is this appointment different to the previous 3 managers we have appointed (I’ve excluded Ole and the caretakers here for reasons that will become apparent).

When City were lining up to appoint Pep, they spent two seasons appointing scouting staff, Directors and coaching staff that would facilitate and complement him coming in and changing the face of the playing side of the club. Player recruitment started to lean towards players that could play his kind of football as well as satisfying the current needs of Pellegrini. A DoF (Txixi) that knew what he wanted and how he operated was put in place week in advance to pave the way for him.

Pool did it differently, they had an idea of what they wanted, built a structure and appointed a manager that could deliver what they wanted. Juergen ended up being wildly more successful than they ever anticipated, but hey-ho it worked. There was nothing in Klopps Dortmund side that would suggest he’d end up being a world beater, but he is, and fair fecks to them.

What have we actually done? We’ve put bums on seats in positions we’ve been told we need to fill (DoF & Technical Director), we appointed a hipsters choice for an interim manager whose been an utter disaster and is now going to expand on his failure by imposing his questionable will upon the entire structure of the club. We have now appointed a manager whose style of play is completely at odds with the technical abilities of the squad we have previously assembled at great cost, and have told him there are limited funds and he will have to accommodate certain players who we have invested heavily in who we cannot shift.

How Is any of this different to the appointments of Van Gaal or Jose? Two managers with a very different ethos to the natural ethos of the club, both of whom had had some recent success and both of which were parachuted in with no prior preparation and the expectations they would wave a magic wand and fix all of our ills.

Currently it seems peoples optimism is based around some unquantified belief that EtH is some kind of messiah along the lines of Pep or Klopp. Pep was a well prepared move, planned in advance and executed with a limitless budget. Klopp was a lucky confluence of circumstances for a club that had been getting it wrong for 30+ years.

I hope this goes well, but I really have no real reason to believe it’s going to. Murtough and Fletcher have no experience whatsoever of building a club and developing a plying style separate to what is already in place. So we’re back to hoping the new manager has a magic wand to wave, a la Fergie, and that he’ll grab tha club by the scruff of its neck and mould it as per his vision.

Will Murtough and Fletcher impose a possession style of football on the club from youth to U23’s? Will our youth recruitment now be focused on getting those kinds of players on the books?

What happens if it doesn’t work with EtH and the whole thing turns into a depressingly sterile LvG possession based experience? Will we stick with tiki-taka? Is that what we are as a club now? Or will we embark on another wholesale change and restructure the club from top to bottom.

Ole may not have worked, but it was at least clear we were being true to some kind of identity that was familiar to the club and sat well with what we were set up to do. I’m happy for the club to change direction and feel we probably need a new direction, but I’d like to know we actually have a direction in mind and we’re not just going wherever the wind blows us.

Last edited:

C3Pique

I'm far too lazy to paste Ten Hag's head onto Stone Cold Steve Austin's body and have him come out at the Royal Rumble and Stunner our entire squad one by one. But hopefully someone can take that idea and run with it.