Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

SoCross

He has done but not often. Basically most teams park the bus against Ajax so he mostly plays CB and basically keeps moving in a DF position especially with the positional & pressing game Ajax play.
Pardon my ignorance...but what’s a DF?

copen1945

I am encouraged that Erik is starting the rebuild process the right way. The midfield has needed an overhaul in quantity and quality. If allowed by the board and the Americans, he should do well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We've just appointed a systemic manager on a 6 month interim contract, with a group of players who cannot play together in one system the manager wants to play. On top of that we lost 4 coaches when Ole left and had to bring in 2 MLS coaches so someone could take training. The current group of players either couldn't do or couldn't understand the system Ralf wanted to play and unless we have a massive overhaul of the playing squad, what you're seeing right now is what we'll get for the first 6 months of next season. By which point Ten Hag will be a fraud by a section of people on here.
He'll at least have been able to bring in 3 or 4 players who'll be starters, that will fit his style of play.
Plus we'll have weeded out quite a few players whose heart wasn't in it the last few months.
Plus all the players know he's here for a decent length of time.

Compare that to a guy who hasn't even been a manager for ages, never really had great success anyway, and is only here for 6months.

Kelly15

I think it's exciting to see ten Hag get to work immediately. Shows how committed he is. How bad he wants to win and succeed.
When we hired moyes he went on vacation. Then didn't take over till July 1st. I was shocked that after getting the biggest job in football that he didn't get to work immediately. It definitely had me worried.
So seeing ten Hag and what he is doing all ready has me very excited.

Reactions: Cheimoon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ronaldo quotes coming out this evening and it all sounds positive and indicates Ronaldo is staying
He mentioned ‘’winning the league‘’ next season. Sounds like that’s what he wanted to discuss with ETH

copen1945

He mentioned ‘’winning the league‘’ next season. Sounds like that’s what he wanted to discuss with ETH
Isn't this a practically impossible goal? It will be either Liverpool or Man City for next season and a few more thereafter. Sounds as if he is setting the stage for an exit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Isn't this a practically impossible goal? It will be either Liverpool or Man City for next season and a few more thereafter. Sounds as if he is setting the stage for an exit.
Which is why I still have doubt that Ronaldo will stay because practically it’s impossible to trying to win the league next season. Unless if ETH really tells Ronaldo, we are challenging the league next season.

RedDevilRoshi

He didn’t mention “winning the league” next season.

“What I know about him is he did a fantastic job for Ajax, that he's an experienced coach," said Ronaldo in our exclusive interview. "But we need to give him time.
"Things need to change the way he wants.
"I hope we have success, of course, because, if you have success, all of Manchester is going to have success as well. I wish him the best.
"We are happy and excited, not only as players, but the supporters as well.
"I wish him the best and let's believe that, next year, we are going to win trophies."

Roane

definitely agree with you guys that in order for this club to get back to challenging and more importantly being a more sound team, the middle of the pitch is the top and only priority

you can't be anyone if the spine of the team is weak....you can live with average fullbacks as long as they can fuking defend but not if your CB's and CM's can't defend and pass a ball
Agreed. The weakness in the middle of the park has a big impact on the defence and the forwards.

We always seem to be under the cosh defensively and struggle to get the ball forward quickly from the midfield.

The spine or engine is key.

Caesar2290

Given the standard Ronaldo has for more than 15 years, do you not think he was including league title as part of ‘’trophies’’?
Oh, I don't doubt it. But there is a reason he said trophies and not the league.

Even someone as competitive as Ronaldo knows that we are very far from challenging for the PL.

Ronaldo wants to win everything, FA Cup and Carling cup included, hence his quote.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Oh, I don't doubt it. But there is a reason he said trophies and not the league.

Even someone as competitive as Ronaldo knows that we are very far from challenging for the PL.

Ronaldo wants to win everything, FA Cup and Carling cup included, hence his quote.
which makes it even harder than what I was referring before to think he will stay here if he‘s going to discuss with ETH about winning everything.

choccy77

Realistically next season we have to win a trophy for sure.

Set the foundation early and build on it.

Something Ole failed to do several times.

Djemba-Djemba

I believe 12 months ago was around about the time we had a really congested fixture list and we ended the season horribly.

Which means it's been 12 months of utter dogshit performances and horrible results. In the last year I think we've legit played well about 3 or 4 times, and that is being generous.

ETH has a fecking huge job on his hands.

AkaAkuma

Is his philosophy and playing style a good fit or easy to adapt into the premier league?

it took time for both Pep and Klopp to build their philosophy.

I worry that trying to buy Dutch players and transpose it into the PL is a tad naive.

choccy77

I wouldn't be surprised if Erik will make the captain like he did with Tadic in Ajax
United need a proper Captain, I would personally choose Ronaldo, however, if he is only staying for one year, it might be better to find someone else, but there is no one worthy with United DNA in the squad right now.

So yeah, Ronaldo next season for me.

choccy77

Is his philosophy and playing style a good fit or easy to adapt into the premier league?

it took time for both Pep and Klopp to build their philosophy.

I worry that trying to buy Dutch players and transpose it into the PL is a tad naive.
Yes it took Pep ages to buy his philosophy

TrebleChamp99

Ehhh I think keeping Ronaldo will be great for him and he’ll enjoy playing in the system but it won’t be optimised until he leaves and I think he’ll hold us back a bit.

allen7

Ehhh I think keeping Ronaldo will be great for him and he’ll enjoy playing in the system but it won’t be optimised until he leaves and I think he’ll hold us back a bit.
Exactly this. I like Ronaldo but we shouldn’t keep a player for the sake of it while our rivals strengthen with young and hard working attackers, not saying CR7 doesn’t work hard but he’s past it.

We should look for the future with an eye on present players.

L1nk

Really hope he watches from the stands, maybe the players will give a shit then

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
It’s common for latin speakers to use the word titles when referring to trophies, Mourinho does it all the time.
Think using trophies for the collection might be very English, because in Dutch we do have people talking about winning 'prizes' but usually it's titles for winning leagues like the BPL/LaLiga/Eredivisie and cups for the other ones like Champions League and national cups (aka knockout tournaments), although I feel like for many the Champions League gets more specified too (as 'European cups' I guess?) and 'cups' don't mean a lot for people here (as opposed to leagues/european cups), and only mean something when there's a shot at those rare trebles.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure we can transform entire 11 in one window, IMO CM is the biggest weakness in our team. If Shaw is back to his best we don't have to worry about LB. It's only RB that's worrying

For CM, we don't have anyone who can hold the midfield, someone who can spread the ball. In short we don't have a proper midfield both in quality and quantity.

Would go with CM X 2, RW, RB in the order of priority. CB can wait, at least for a season.
With Bailly and Jones looking out, you’re prepared to gamble on Maguire, Lindelof and Varane? All 3 have suffered from injury and loss of form this season. It’d be a massive gamble

LordSpud

I bloody hope so he's in the stands. We need a draw or a win to guarantee the EL. I cant see West Ham beating City (and hope they dont for more obvious reasons) and they should beat Brighton on the last day but who knows.

We just need to take care of ourselves but god damn Palace will be tough. Viera even nominated for Manager of the Season!!

Reactions: Cheimoon

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Perhaps it has come as something of a shock to Marcus Rashford that Ralph Rangnick wasn’t going to be our manager next season. Given he couldn’t leave the club in March, it would take a real lack of common sense to consider your future due to a departing manager.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Not sure we can transform entire 11 in one window, IMO CM is the biggest weakness in our team. If Shaw is back to his best we don't have to worry about LB. It's only RB that's worrying

For CM, we don't have anyone who can hold the midfield, someone who can spread the ball. In short we don't have a proper midfield both in quality and quantity.

Would go with CM X 2, RW, RB in the order of priority. CB can wait, at least for a season.
I think composure is the biggest weakness of this squad in the first fix has to be around the CM/DM, but because of that I also think CB should come before RB. Especially under Ten Hag someone 'can play a role' if there's enough composure around them to let them be great in their specific role. In the 18/19 season vdB had a very clear role and Tagliafico kinda did too. Neres was capable of more but filled in a role as well. Having one or two AWB's in the team won't be bad if their roles are specified enough and don't become easy targets of opponents' pressuring. I think you're better off getting consistency out of the CB pairing or simply a better player there first before you fix RB which can be handled more easily through a solid CB-DM-CM set near them. If AWB can work on his crossing he can focus on just using his pace going forward and then it can be fixed later. If you have Varane, [De Jong], [Neves - sorry can't think of other examples right now but he's great in PES :nono:] and Sancho guarding composure/creativity around him, it might be even better to not have someone with the same role as them around there, and he can shine through his hard work again.

Same in midfield. If you need Fred to be your Pirlo, you're gonna hate him, but if he can be more of a Vidal or something, it doesn't really matter and his actual skills are allowed to shine much more.

Based on how he did things at Ajax and Utrecht I assume he will handle things contextually again. He'll look at the squad, their strong and weak points and then rebuild from the strong points in a way he'll think the team will shine most. He won't always be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he simply uses some players differently which will suddenly make them seem like very very capable players rather than ones getting overrun half of the time. AWB and Fred are simply examples that I can see fitting his philosophies and that could rise to the top of their game simply through role and overall structure changes.