Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Trex

Players who would suit his football
Top quality: Varane, Sancho, Shaw,

Top quality but need to adapt: Fernandes, Ronaldo, De gea.

Serviceable: Fred, Dalot, Elanga, Lindelof, Maguire, Rashford, Van de Beek.

Players I can see struggling: Mctominay, AWB, Telles.

They're all out of form currently but the first category I can see taking to his football like duck in water so long as they keep fit.

The second category are high profile players he is going to have to make it work with short to medium term.

The third category he'll need to drill his football into because he would have to utilize them as starters and substitute over the course of a season (dvb already knows the drill but he isn't good enough for category 1).

The last category, i don't see, the basic qualities I see in ETH fullbacks I don't see in Telles and AWB and same for Mctominay in midfield.

Ruud89

Gonna have 170 million to spend apparently.

That's like what? 4 top players?

We need like 8. Dont know how is this going to work if I'm being honest.

saivet

Good of him to get straight to Manchester. He can meet the players in person, sort out his staff and transfer plans before he goes on holiday. When he comes back there will be some familiarity for the set up he would like. Him coming in cold at a later date probably isn't ideal.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Could he take a holiday during the world cup? It might have factored into his planning and might be a more suitable time
If he is traveling to Manchester tomorrow, until C.P. game will meet players, talk to them, watch them training, talk to Ralf and John, ask Mike and Fletch who they are and what they do, run after JL begging to talk to him, ask Shaw about the best restaurants, take hairdressing tips from Pogbye, (for his wife), look for a house, work on ins and outs ..and so on. Be at the game with notebook and pen. After the game players go to their national teams, and Erik goes to have a holliday.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
He is going to be in for a shock watching this lot play our last match after a horrible confidence sucking season. Midfield is the key area but I‘m not sure the transfer market will be kind to us in this area. Looking forward to his style of play.

El Jefe

In the next 2 to 3 weeks we're probably going to hear reports of how every single player in our squad has been told they have a place in his squad and he's fond of them. Its cheap and easy clicks for the journos.

We will only truly know what he thinks of the players when he trains them and sees them in games. Its not like he's taking over the team that started this season, we will have trimmed a lot of the fat in our squad by the time preseason comes around.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
He is going to be in for a shock watching this lot play our last match after a horrible confidence sucking season. Midfield is the key area but I‘m not sure the transfer market will be kind to us in this area. Looking forward to his style of play.
Think he already knows how our lot "plays". That is why he is on his way

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
McT Matic and Pogba need to be replaced/upgraded for sure but so do Rashford Martial and Elanga. Ronaldo doesn’t have long left. For all the talk about the midfield the forwards really stink considering they are paid competitively with the other really top teams. Our midfield isn’t (Pogba aside)

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
McT Matic and Pogba need to be replaced/upgraded for sure but so do Rashford Martial and Elanga. Ronaldo doesn’t have long left. For all the talk about the midfield the forwards really stink considering they are paid competitively with the other really top teams. Our midfield isn’t (Pogba aside)
I just can’t see it being sorted in one summer so I hope they can sort the midfield out which will control possession to help the defence and sustain attacks then improve next summer. I still hope like every summer.

Dominos

I disagree with this. This squad has been undertrained, mismanaged, and allowed to basically do what the feck they want on and off the pitch for the past 3 managers including Ralf. That will stop under ETH. If we make 2-3 solid additionls to the squad with proper training and discipline, I don't think top 4 will be an issue at all. Midfield and defense will bey the key areas to address this window. If we get that right, we'll be alright.
You can't underestimate how bad our attack is, we barely create anything and barely score.

With all the players who will leave. At the start of next season we'll have just 3 senior attackers on our books - Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. On top of that some younger players like Elanga/Amad. We need major reinforcements.

The team is weak in so many areas. On top of that ETH will be looking to revolutionise our way of playing - playing out from the back, high defensive line, pressing, possession based.

This squad was built by Mourinho/Ole for a completely different style of football, so even if it was a good squad (it isn't), it's still not the type of squad suited to Ten Hag's vision.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I love his energy. Those that are not ready to put in the work should leave.

Tarrou

every day on this forum there’s a constant stream of unfunny jokes about how shit we are or how shit our players are

don’t really know why I posted it here but just felt like a whinge

Lynty

I really dont think it is. Rangick has said himself we need 6+ at minimum to be a proper team again.
We probably do need 6 first team players to compete.

I don’t think it should happen in one window, the same window a manger comes in and needs to evaluate the squad. We’ll be lucky to get a 50% hit rate on transfers and we are still likely going to over pay in wages - as is our custom. Best case scenario, we’d be left with 3 dead weights on wages we can’t easily shift - it would be a repeat of the cycle we are trying to break.

We don’t need 6 players to get top 4. Couple of quality players and culture reset would do it. When has mass transfers worked for anyone? It’s always a disaster.

Not panicking and sticking to our usual 3 or 4 transfers would be wise in my opinion. Sort out the coaching and let Ten Hag evaluate what he needs end of the season.

laughtersassassin

We probably do need 6 first team players to compete.

I don’t think it should happen in one window, the same window a manger comes in and needs to evaluate the squad. We’ll be lucky to get a 50% hit rate on transfers and we are still likely going to over pay in wages - as is our custom. Best case scenario, we’d be left with 3 dead weights on wages we can’t easily shift - it would be a repeat of the cycle we are trying to break.

We don’t need 6 players to get top 4. Couple of quality players and culture reset would do it. When has mass transfers worked for anyone? It’s always a disaster.

Not panicking and sticking to our usual 3 or 4 transfers would be wise in my opinion. Sort out the coaching and let Ten Hag evaluate what he needs end of the season.
You got to consider how many players we are losing as well.

Sviken

I disagree with this. This squad has been undertrained, mismanaged, and allowed to basically do what the feck they want on and off the pitch for the past 3 managers including Ralf. That will stop under ETH. If we make 2-3 solid additionls to the squad with proper training and discipline, I don't think top 4 will be an issue at all. Midfield and defense will bey the key areas to address this window. If we get that right, we'll be alright.
I think Ole was simply too lax with these players. He tried to treat them as his buddies instead of acting like their boss, so most of the time they just couldn't be assed and the few times they did was mostly when his job was on the line. When he was sacked, players obviously threw their toys at Rangnick for being too hard on them and expecting too much from them and what not. Majority of this squad has to be rid. It's absolutely rotten to the core. This has gone for too long that a "fix" is simply impossible without getting rid of most of them.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surely it ain’t true about him starting work tomorrow with us? He’ll want to celebrate his league title with Ajax and our season isn’t technically finished yet… unless he just comes and works on some stuff behind the scenes. He’ll defo need to meet rangnick in person so he can fill ten Hag in about how crap the squad is.

Rolaholic

I respect the initiative but I'd take a short break/holiday if I were him :lol:

He's got a shitshow on his hands

red thru&thru

A new dawn begins tomorrow.

We just need to let go of all the negativity of this season, even with one game left, and channel all our positivity towards Ten Hag. :)

cnwo

If he's there for the full week, surely he can manage the Palace game :nervous: