Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 105 72.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SAFMUTD

Very encouraging to read.
Very encouraging indeed, hopefully we have agreed to change as much as Ten Gag wants. Don't want to get too excited but there have been plenty changes in personnel so hopefully we can finally drift to the right direction.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
what do you expect when you start with "you don't understand…."?

Can't be bothered with your kind.
Sorry if I hurt your feeling with that. I didn't think such a simple sentence would hurt people's feeling and forcing them to stop reading. I feels like ETH is also going to have the same problem as me when he tries to tell the truth to our players since some of our players are also bit softie.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Sorry if I hurt your feeling with that. I didn't think such a simple sentence would hurt people's feeling and forcing them to stop reading. I feels like ETH is also going to have the same problem as me since some of our players are also bit softie.
I wasn't talking about space at all, i said that there were noone near to even make space for.
When Fred joined in, they could stretch them together, and open more space up.
And again, it's a team game, and our midfield has been like this for ages.
You didn't really reply to anything i said.

But yeah, guess you're right, i'm a little softie and am literally crying now because someone on a forum said things.

Ninja edit: added something that disappeared…silly ipad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wasn't talking about space at all, i said that there were noone near to even make space for.
When Fred joined in, they could stretch them together, and open more space up
You didn't really reply to anything i said.

But yeah, guess you're right, i'm a little softie and am literally crying now because someone on a forum said things.
In that post where you stopped reading, I actually gave one of the example where he could run into. May be you should read it fully of that post, that way we might be on the same page of what McT did wrong there.

First, player can move into space to open space for others not only for purpose to receive the ball. If McT runs into ..................................

Second, if McT moves into space let's say the ones between Maguire and the left back, ........................

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
‘We zijn overeengekommen *** ik vanaaf 16 mei in dienst van Manchester United ben’

‘In dienst van’ can mean either ‘at the service of’ or ‘in the service of’, which spans the difference of being ‘helpful’ and being ‘employed’. Anyway, he states his objectives for the first period (discussing selection of squad and staff), so we really don’t need to speculate too much on the job description during the first weeks.
I know this is many pages back, but just for clarity: there is no ambiguity in Dutch, 'in dienst van' only means 'employed by' in this context.
The future United manager realizes that former players Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville have quite the influence at Old Trafford. "That has influence, but should never affect the dressing room," he makes clear. "Perhaps the criticism is more severe there. The club simply has a larger fan base and more reach than Ajax, because England is much bigger, the Premier League is much bigger and everything is actually much bigger. Compared to the Netherlands, it is factor 2, 3, 4 or maybe even more. Fortunately, I have acquired more and more knowledge of how to deal with certain force fields."

:lol:

EtH is Doctor Strange apparently
:D

Those literal translations are fun. :) Dutch 'krachtenvelden' in this context means more like 'competing spheres of influence'.

Roane

Fred was hiding at the beginning of the clip, jogged down and hid behind the second player.
Not much difference if you ask me.
You're kidding right?

We had the ball. Their players are pressing and McT is pressing (or rather running behind their player). Fred comes into the pic between two players IE in space

It's basics. When they have ball press, when we have ball go into space and make yourself available to receive the ball.

Likes of Keane would demand the ball in those positions. No way they hide behind the pressing player.

bosskeano

That’s hilarious to use Donny as an example. He’s the worst I’ve seen for hiding from the ball since Tom Cleverley was here.
Scott was in the right position initially sitting in the pocket behind them....lindelof just didn't give him the ball when he should have

it's poor on his part and poor coaching that Scott follows the ball...they should be teaching him to go opposite of the ball and play on the diagonal which would make it easier to play out in that position

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
In that post where you stopped reading, I actually gave one of the example where he could run into. May be you should read it fully of that post, that way we might be on the same page of what McT did wrong there.
I've not said that he was not wrong, i've been saying that most of the team is too far away, and had they been closer things would have been easier.

Followed football for over 40 years, and played as a midfield playmaker type for 30, so when people tell me i don't understand the importance of running into space, i am really not going to bother with the rest of what they write.
It gives the "i know everything better than everyone else" vibe, and i see no point discussing with posters with that attitude or way of discussing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've not said that he was not wrong, i've been saying that most of the team is too far away, and had they been closer things would have been easier.

Followed football for over 40 years, and played as a midfield playmaker type for 30, so when people tell me i don't understand the importance of running into space, i am really not going to bother with the rest of what they write.
It gives the "i know everything better than everyone else" vibe, and i see no point discussing with posters with that attitude or way of discussing.
Since you claimed that you haven't said that he was not wrong, so tell me what did McT do wrong that people called him hiding then?

reelworld

The difference is that when Fred drops down, he has more space because one of them has to stay on McT.
My point is that this example is bad.
It's supposed to be a team game, but not many help there... Nice stick for the McT haters to use, og course.
The whole team runs too little, workrate is crap, and... Lots of wrong in this team right now, and it's unfair to put all the blame in McT here.
McTominay consistently being the midfielder with the least amount of touches and passes is also another big evidence that he's hiding from the ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sorry if I hurt your feeling with that. I didn't think such a simple sentence would hurt people's feeling and forcing them to stop reading. I feels like ETH is also going to have the same problem as me when he tries to tell the truth to our players since some of our players are also bit softie.
If you’re looking for genuine debate, starting yours with an insult to the other persons intelligence isn’t the best way to go

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
ETH definitely seems confident in his ability to take you in the right direction given the quotes. Also considering he is skipping the pointless post season Ajax games and going straight into the job suggests he knows just what a shit show he is walking into and wants to start ASAP.

LoneStar

And at which point did I mention or make any remark on having any insight on how he likes to rest and unwind? or is this you just pulled nonsense out of thin air and try to pass it off as something I've implied? What I said is that resting and recuperating are important.

Allegedly coming to Manchester early or not really has no bearing on if I think he "really wants to succeed"

Again, as evidenced above, I've phrased it from my PoV, so once more, what are you arguing with me about?

Gesture/action/move - find the synonym that makes you feel most at ease. I'm not moved by them.

Gesture/action/move - find the synonym that makes you feel most at ease. I'm not moved by them.

I was not the one that said anything about wanting to succeed more. In fact, my stance is that potentially going on holiday/resting/not coming to Manchester early doesn't mean he's less thirsty for success or whatever

I mean you guys are the weirdos replying to me trying to convince me that coming to Manchester early means "he really wants to succeed" :lol: Even making up stuff like I'm trying to find a negative/moaning - when my initial post was "I don't know why this whole coming to Manchester early thing is being equated to "professionalism" . Verbatim.

Your poor reading comprehension and defensiveness has nothing to do with me.
Jesus, the level of arrogance and delusion in your comments and replies wouldn‘t look out of place in the worst of RAWK posts. Apparently no one can understand you due to everyone else’s poor comprehension skills. You say you don’t care about him coming early, yet care enough to post and reply that you don’t care and that it doesn’t matter. A lot of people don’t care about a lot of things, but they don’t go posting around that they don’t care on random threads.

You keep saying resting and recuperating are important when you have no clue of what ETH considers resting and recuperating. Maybe get off your high horse and understand that your view doesnt reflect ETH or anyone else’s views. No one cares if you are moved by his gesture/action/move.

LoneStar

Who cares if you are moved or not. How you try to find a negative in the situation is bizarre really. Always moaning.
It’s like the person is screaming at everyone saying ‘Look at me, I don’t care!’ . What a bizarre thing to moan about too!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Jesus, the level of arrogance and delusion in your comments and replies wouldn‘t look out of place in the worst of RAWK posts. Apparently no one can understand you due to everyone else’s poor comprehension skills. You say you don’t care about him coming early, yet care enough to post and reply that you don’t care and that it doesn’t matter. A lot of people don’t care about a lot of things, but they don’t go posting around that they don’t care on random threads.

You keep saying resting and recuperating are important when you have no clue of what ETH considers resting and recuperating. Maybe get off your high horse and understand that your view doesnt reflect ETH or anyone else’s views. No one cares if you are moved by his gesture/action/move.
Let me get on my horse.

I agree with you but I will add that maybe ETH had the same thought than I had(he mostly likely stole it), the World Cup will allow him to rest in November-December, he is probably thinking that it makes little sense to not take advantage of this particular schedule.

LoneStar

Let me get on my horse.

I agree with you but I will add that maybe ETH had the same thought than I had(he mostly likely stole it), the World Cup will allow him to rest in November-December, he is probably thinking that it makes little sense to not take advantage of this particular schedule.
That’s exactly what I said in my original post, that there could be a myriad of reasons for him coming early on - Laying the groundwork before leaving for vacation, or simply because he genuinely feels like he wants to get started. The point being that him choosing to terminate his contract and joining early on shows his commitment and that increases his likelihood of success. Not that it will.

No clue why this guy takes offence to that and is arguing something about PoVs and comprehension skills.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Great that he's getting to work as early as he can. I remember Moyes doing the opposite, where he took a longer holiday than initially expected then rocked up at the end of the first week of July, with only one week to go until pre-season tour started and he'd done nothing to address the squad. That first presser where he poured cold water over the Thiago links, and said "we haven't started those discussions yet" regarding incoming and outgoing players, it felt doomed from the start. Glad history isn't repeating itself on that front, at least.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you’re looking for genuine debate, starting yours with an insult to the other persons intelligence isn’t the best way to go
If I tells NBA players that you don't understand the benefits of CB that can win header, I don't think they would feel insulted since they would acknowledge that they don't understand about that aspect. So calling a person not understanding a certain aspect doesn't mean is insult of someone's intelligence but calling a person stupid then it's an insult to person's intelligence. However, I already apologised and I shouldn't say that anyway since he just claimed that he knows about it and everything about football. I would expect someone with the opposite of being softie, would replied to me saying no I know about it but I disagree with what you said.

Last edited:

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
What was the context for this?
Cruijff was training with the Ajax squad in 1980 but the KNVB wouldn't let them sign him, so instead Ajax made him technical advisor to the coach (Beenhakker) after 3 losses in a row. But then a few weeks into the job he couldn't help himself while watching from the stands so decided to come down to the dugout and tell Beenhakker what to do. Ajax turned 3-1 roundn to a 3-5 win after that, but Beenhakker says he ignored Cruijff's advice, but would let him have the honour if that made people happy.

The post match interview (of Beenhakker with Cruijff standing next to him) is very painful as well, at the bottom of this article: https://nos.nl/collectie/6838/artikel/2095072-beenhakker-geen-gelukkige-actie-van-johan (especially from 2 minutes onward, as Cruijff is talking)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
And what truth is that, exactly? Don't be shy, just go right ahead and educate us.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
So, I finished my work, logged in, saw 3,4 new pages in this thread, thinking crap I missed flight tracker, woohoo there will be pictures, yeey quotes...
... then found out thread about freaking Scott McT.
:(

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
ETH seems to have started work this morning - let's hope that ethic gets through to some of the players and to those higher up the food chain

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is there anything you won't turn into a negative with the squad?
Patience. There will be a lot of first class news in the coming weeks and months and every single one of them will get Caf reactions.

“ETH has asked players to turn lights off with their right hand, but one player did it with his left”
Caf: Oh ffs, useless squad, sell them all!

“ETH has asked players to not unfold their napkins when eating but Sancho and Rashford did it”
Caf: Typical, Brexit FC, waste of money, sell them to Newcastle!