Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 100 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 237 70.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Drifter

American

Sounds promising. But I'll wait and see if that can be put into practice with these prima donnas

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can’t wait for him to get started. This just feels different from other appointments where we seemed to just go for who was available. It feels like we’ve done our homework. Exciting

McTerminator

Can’t wait for him to get started. This just feels different from other appointments where we seemed to just go for who was available. It feels like we’ve done our homework. Exciting
Agreed, I think the fans are ready for him too.

He is going to have issues with media and players but I don’t think the fans will buy into it as they once did.

Kellyiom

Not guilty ≠ innocent.

We know enough from what was immediately public that he isn’t innocent.
That's true, regardless of what a police investigation or court of law might find, your employer could well have additional requirements and standards to be met.

You can therefore quite legally find yourself unemployed by breaking these parts of the contract while a court may find you innocent of a particular criminal offence.

I expect that's how it will go if any criminal action is dropped. I personally believe this is a big opportunity for us as a community to do the right thing and to be seen to be doing the right thing, these issues affect our society in every class, race and culture.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So were Hummels and Puyol. A high line isn’t about having quick defenders, it’s about defending as a team. That’s implemented by coaches.
Save your breath. People have already made up their mind on Maguire and no amount of rational posts are going to change that.

Greck

Save your breath. People have already made up their mind on Maguire and no amount of rational posts are going to change that.
I'm also thinking it's plausible Maguire will enjoy a career renaissance under ETH but let's not act like those concerns weren't legitimate. Bringing up CBs who mitigated their lack of athleticism with smarts isn't a great comeback when we're talking about a CB who often does the exact opposite. He actively leaves a good position to go ballchasing, lunges in and gets done for pace then has to take a yellow. This is anti-Hummels centerbacking. It's Phil Jones defending without the talent for last ditch tackles.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm also thinking it's plausible Maguire will enjoy a career renaissance under ETH but let's not act like those concerns weren't legitimate. Bringing up CBs who mitigated their lack of athleticism with smarts isn't a great comeback when we're talking about a CB who often does the exact opposite. He actively leaves a good position to go ballchasing, lunges in and gets done for pace then has to take a yellow. This is anti-Hummels centerbacking.
I think it's fair for the entire team to improve if we sign a couple of actual midfielders.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Sounds promising. But I'll wait and see if that can be put into practice with these prima donnas
Indeed.
Ole was also touted as a great man-manager and that was an absolute disaster.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
random thought...

Do you think ETH could get a tune out of Pereira? He's not the greatest player but he might work in a well drilled system
I think he could.....if we were competing in the Championship.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The club passing on a proven winner in Conte - who probably would have got us top four this season - and choosing instead to wait for Ten Hag to become available speaks volumes to the structural changes going on at the club right now. I am convinced that had Ole been sacked a year earlier than he was, before the ESL fiasco and when Woodward was still running the show, Conte would be in charge right now.

The other thing about Ten Hag is that, for once, the entire fanbase seems to be behind the decision to appoint him. It wasn't like that for Moyes, LVG, Jose or Ole, we were roughly split 50-50 on them, and there has been division in the fanbase ever since.

I can't wait for next season to begin.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
It does indeed.
Its encouraging that they are making changes at the top level also otherwise it would be a case of rinse and repeat.
We may need to suck up a bit of pain first with all these changes before we reap the benefits later on.

Greck

I think it's fair for the entire team to improve if we sign a couple of actual midfielders.
And the entire team can also improve if we sign a few reals CBs. I'm sure Fred would look like a proper CM then. See the problem with that statement? Same way they said Varane was going to improve him. Sometimes individual mistakes are just on the player. Maguire has to be better with or without signings if he's to defend a high line. He has looked especially shaky when defending space.

Indeed.
Was he? We thought he was a good man manager because the players all liked him, but it turned out they all liked him because he let them do whatever they wanted.

::sonny::

“So don't be surprised to have McTominay cemented as a centre back or Sancho as midfielder.”

McTominay can play only as a cb like for Scottish national team because Gilmour and McGinn are far better than him there

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
And the entire team can also improve if we sign a few reals CBs. I'm sure Fred would look like a proper CM then. See the problem with that statement? Same way they said Varane was going to improve him. Sometimes individual mistakes are just on the player. Maguire has to be better with or without signings if he's to defend a high line. He has looked especially shaky when defending space.
It's not the same thing though, midfielders are far more important to team structure than CBs are. If you put Vidic and Ferdinand in our current structure behind Fred and McTominay then they'd still leak goals, if you put Xavi and Busquets in front of Maguire and Varane then they'd concede significantly less due to our overall control of the game and the fact that the CBs are going to be individually exposed far less.

Maguire makes a lot of mistakes but he's given the chance to make mistakes far too often because we're incredibly sloppy in midfield; we make unforced errors, loose passes and are very poor at tackling which exposes our defenders too frequently. In the previous 2 seasons we exposed Maguire and Lindelof a lot less than we have this season and neither was making anywhere near the volume of mistakes that they have done this year, similar to Varane at Madrid. Very few CBs are going to look good when they're constantly isolated against attackers, likewise defenders who are rarely exposed are going to look better as a natural consequence.

I'm not saying we couldn't improve on Maguire, we obviously can, but it's not going to be the CBs that make or break our season. Maguire and Varane have both shown to be good players under the right circumstances. This discussion is moot anyway as it sounds like we'll be targeting a CB.

Dolf

This the most likely

“So don't be surprised to have McTominay cemented as a centre back or Sancho as midfielder.”

McTominay can play only as a cb like for Scottish national team because Gilmour and McGinn are far better than him there
I can definitely see Sancho as an attacking midfielder. Like what ETH did with Berghuis.

Corridor of Uncertainty

What's he been up to today? We received updates yesterday about the work he'd been doing, but nothing today. He's probably been taking it easy. Decided we don't need new players. Current coaching set up is good enough. Trying to get Pogba and Lingard to sign new deals. Giving the green light to a new Rashford contract. B ald fraud.

Andy_Cole

What's he been up to today? We received updates yesterday about the work he'd been doing, but nothing today. He's probably been taking it easy. Decided we don't need new players. Current coaching set up is good enough. Trying to get Pogba and Lingard to sign new deals. Giving the green light to a new Rashford contract. B ald fraud.
Sack Hag, sell Beek

Ibi Dreams

Indeed.
Arguably it worked for a while, before it didn't. ETH has the benefit of being a good football manager and coach as well, things Ole was not

marcus agrippa

Its almost as if people have no idea about defending. I mean playing a high line means only fast defenders work is one of the worst statements I have heard.

If you are defensively good enough, press the ball in the right areas, you can read the game and don't require that excessive pace.

Spurs played a high line with Vertonghen too.
No, you don't necessarily need pace. But you must - absolutely must - be able to cope one-on-one. Maguire struggles with this big-time.

romufc

No, you don't necessarily need pace. But you must - absolutely must - be able to cope one-on-one. Maguire struggles with this big-time.
I mean he is a good defender but lets be honest, how many times have you seen Maguire one v one and just think oh feck, either he pulls them, fouls them or gets left for dead. In comparison I see defenders that jokey until the attacker has no choice but to make a decision.

Amarsdd

All the talks about his tactics and all, this will be of the biggest importance. You can’t do anything with your fancy tactics if you can’t get the players to play for you.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
This feels like the start of a new dawn. Very different to Mourinho, LVG, Moyes, and Ole where I was definitely excited but there was always a lack of a plan and most of the hype was generated from big-name signings. ETH seems to have a determination about him that I don't think I've seen before. He has my full trust regarding signings and sales and I think we might see some surprises there. Bring on the next chapter and hopefully a return to the elite.

marcus agrippa

I mean he is a good defender but lets be honest, how many times have you seen Maguire one v one and just think oh feck, either he pulls them, fouls them or gets left for dead. In comparison I see defenders that jokey until the attacker has no choice but to make a decision.

Maguire never seems in control of the situation. I remember Rio vs. Torres at Anfield in the 2007/08 season. One-on-one, and it was never in doubt that even though Torres had the ball, it was Rio controlling the situation. Didn't even have to put a tackle in.

With Maguire, I'm always waiting for the attacker to either beat him, or for him to do something brain-dead (like that no-look tackle a while back).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The club passing on a proven winner in Conte - who probably would have got us top four this season - and choosing instead to wait for Ten Hag to become available speaks volumes to the structural changes going on at the club right now. I am convinced that had Ole been sacked a year earlier than he was, before the ESL fiasco and when Woodward was still running the show, Conte would be in charge right now.

The other thing about Ten Hag is that, for once, the entire fanbase seems to be behind the decision to appoint him. It wasn't like that for Moyes, LVG, Jose or Ole, we were roughly split 50-50 on them, and there has been division in the fanbase ever since.

I can't wait for next season to begin.
100% I’ve not seen or heard any united fan complain about this appointment. This is probably the most exciting appointment we’ve made since fergie. Obviously no one knows which way it’s going to go but if the club is actually changing direction and starting to do there research then we could be in for an exciting season and future.