Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

wise_old_man

Then you don’t understand burden of proof. Even the basic tenets of the justice system itself would disagree with your idiotic statement.
If the court announces him as guilty-free, it means they deem the “proof” as insufficient. Insufficient proof cannot be counted as real proof.

Valencia Shin Crosses

All the talks about his tactics and all, this will be of the biggest importance. You can’t do anything with your fancy tactics if you can’t get the players to play for you.
Goes hand in hand doesn't it? Players will only put their bodies on the line for so long if they are being played in a shit system they don't trust or don't know what to do and are getting throttled by other teams. Likewise you get more and more buy in when you start to see the fruits of your labor in a system.

marcus agrippa

Goes hand in hand doesn't it? Players will only put their bodies on the line for so long if they are being played in a shit system they don't trust or don't know what to do and are getting throttled by other teams. Likewise you get more and more buy in when you start to see the fruits of your labor in a system.
Yep, it's the virtuous cycle where the magic happens. Hopefully Ten Hag manages to get it quickly. I guess that's the one benefit of bringing in one or two players in critical positions that he's worked with before.

Longshanks

Maguire never seems in control of the situation. I remember Rio vs. Torres at Anfield in the 2007/08 season. One-on-one, and it was never in doubt that even though Torres had the ball, it was Rio controlling the situation. Didn't even have to put a tackle in.

With Maguire, I'm always waiting for the attacker to either beat him, or for him to do something brain-dead (like that no-look tackle a while back).
Rio was exceptional one on one though remember him keeping Thierry Henry in his pocket few times aswell.

Maguire is more like vidic in style, who strength was definitely not one on one's against pacey strikers. Much better when being assertaive, aggressive and brave. He should be looking to step out and win the ball, the issue is more often whats alongside him and whats behind, he needs a pacey covering cb who's Good at one on ones and an assertaive GK who's willing to sweep and command his box. More often than not he has neither. Meaning when we do try and play a high line and be assertaive, we fall apart because we don't have the cover behind all of this has caused maguire to be second guessing himself thinking do I stay or do I go and in the end he has kind of ended up doing neither and as a result we don't really know what our plan is when defending.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I have nothing particularly interesting to add, I just want to say that I'm really, really excited for him to get started. I'll give him all the time in the world.

nickm

100% I’ve not seen or heard any united fan complain about this appointment. This is probably the most exciting appointment we’ve made since fergie. Obviously no one knows which way it’s going to go but if the club is actually changing direction and starting to do there research then we could be in for an exciting season and future.
I am 100% sure he is going to have a tough time at the start, and results may be rocky as he tries stuff out, adapts things, pisses people off etc, so I hope the fans will really get behind him when that happens and give him time to lay his foundations.

Red Royal

Really hope that the fixture list for 2022/3 season is kind to us. We need an (on paper) reasonably easy start.... if we can get a run of games going where we look good the much needed feel good factor will soon be back. Sad that we have to think about next year in what used to be squeaky bum part of the season.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Really hope that the fixture list for 2022/3 season is kind to us. We need an (on paper) reasonably easy start.... if we can get a run of games going where we look good the much needed feel good factor will soon be back. Sad that we have to think about next year in what used to be squeaky bum part of the season.
Chelsea away first game nailed on, then.

sparx99

Why should we kick him out if the court officially announced him as guity-free? That means he’s innocent. It seems like you are hell-bent on him being guilty while the investigation is STILL being conducted.

If he’s deemed guilty after investigation, he’d face prison, not just being kicked out by us.
Not guilty isn’t the same as in one that though. It can just mean there is reasonable doubt or not enough evidence to convict.

All that being said I’m not sure anybody whether they’ve committed a crime or not deserves eternal damnation. There should be some route back into society and that includes playing professional football if that’s your profession. Is it really better for society for Mason Greenwood to become a burden to the state? He could learn and grow and become an advocate to other young me who look upto him and say don’t make the same mistakes I did.

Kaushal

Do his sides control games in a tough away atmosphere ? When we go to play sides like Newcastle or some mid table clubs for example ? I hate it when we look shit scared and completely forget how to control or manage a game or even complete a pass against these teams at their grounds. That’s why going after players like de Jong gives me hope that even if we are 1-0 ahead going into the last 10 minutes our players can still compose themselves and can manage the game rather than doing Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, lsha all at once and hoping for the best.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
100% I’ve not seen or heard any united fan complain about this appointment. This is probably the most exciting appointment we’ve made since fergie. Obviously no one knows which way it’s going to go but if the club is actually changing direction and starting to do there research then we could be in for an exciting season and future.
There’s one I can think of….has a home in the Poch thread! #Poch-ball

mctrials23

Not guilty isn’t the same as in one that though. It can just mean there is reasonable doubt or not enough evidence to convict.

All that being said I’m not sure anybody whether they’ve committed a crime or not deserves eternal damnation. There should be some route back into society and that includes playing professional football if that’s your profession. Is it really better for society for Mason Greenwood to become a burden to the state? He could learn and grow and become an advocate to other young me who look upto him and say don’t make the same mistakes I did.
There are some things that are so abhorrent that you do lose your right to a highly paid job in the public eye and battering your missus should be one of them. Should he be locked up and the key thrown away? No. Should he be earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a week doing a dream job after doing that? Not in my view.

Money buys power and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets brushed under a rug and the girl involved is paid enough hush money to make it go away. I know the CPS can prosecute without her but it makes it much harder.

Teja

+1

Hoping for this as well, really need that nice fixture run. Hope all our players have a decent pre-season too, it feels like forever ago that we had a full squad for pre-season.

DevilRed

I'm also thinking it's plausible Maguire will enjoy a career renaissance under ETH but let's not act like those concerns weren't legitimate. Bringing up CBs who mitigated their lack of athleticism with smarts isn't a great comeback when we're talking about a CB who often does the exact opposite. He actively leaves a good position to go ballchasing, lunges in and gets done for pace then has to take a yellow. This is anti-Hummels centerbacking. It's Phil Jones defending without the talent for last ditch tackles.
Plausible to think alot of players will be much much improved from the shitshow of ralfs reign.

Confidence is a funny thing.

lsd

The Oracle
I am liking all that Erik has done so far. Start with our midfield and build out from there. If we end up getting De Jong, and the prospect looks likely at the moment, it will be all down to Erik's presence as our coach. A good start.

What exactly has he done so far?

fanutd

From Redditor: BloodyTjeul

Thank you for sharing this and it's a really good read. The thread linked in the first sentence provides an even more fascinating read of his work prior to Ajax. Here it is just in case:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There’s one I can think of….has a home in the Poch thread! #Poch-ball
Oh ye I think I know who you mean actually… :lol: tell a lie I’ve probably seen like 1 or 2 that was desperate for poch in the ‘next manager’ thread. But other then the odd couple, everyone’s more or less with ten Hag

bosskeano

I don't care. I just want it to be the right signing.
hmmm....the right signing(ie the position of need) could still be a meh signing

Probably meh
i tend to fall into this category as well....i think it's going to be either a younger player with a lot of potential OR it's going to be an older practical player that can do the job or a year or two(Kante maybe)

UTD_Since_1978

Dunno if it has been mentioned in this thread or elsewhere but do the people on this forum think he will keep Maguire as club captain for next season?

Vapor trail

I think this is a good window for any manager to have taken over. No UCL will be a stipulation for some negotiations but consider the the availability of players in specific positions in the market; abundance of wingers (Dembele, Gakpo, Gnabry, Rapinha) few forward players (Lewa, Richarlison, Nunez, Nkunku).

If Leeds or Everton go down that's more opportunities to assess value. If the club play their cards right United could have a good team to build a foundation from compared to the need of having a multitude of windows to recruit in key positions. Not to mention players who have been unproductive over the years in their last remaining years of contracts thus easier to shift on.

One thing about ETH is that he seems diligent and meticulous. United have in most cases appointed the wrong coaches at the wrong times over the years. I would give exception to LVG who did well in an international tournament beforehand and was the only manager who showed a small percentage of positivity and promise to building something overtime (lots of breakthrough appearances for youth players, United controlled games more compared to Moyes, Ole and Jose).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oh ye I think I know who you mean actually… :lol: tell a lie I’ve probably seen like 1 or 2 that was desperate for poch in the ‘next manager’ thread. But other then the odd couple, everyone’s more or less with ten Hag
Yeah, agreed. It’s the most United this fan base has been post SAF. The poll on the Caf alone was 90%+ in favour of ETH iirc.

BlueHaze

Is it first time in our history both the manager and his assisant are both norwood 7?

I'm rooting for him even more now being a fellow bald chap and all that..

Kellyiom

It does indeed.
Its encouraging that they are making changes at the top level also otherwise it would be a case of rinse and repeat.
We may need to suck up a bit of pain first with all these changes before we reap the benefits later on.
Yes, definitely not wanting to scupper our luck but I'm genuinely optimistic that the club is making big changes to address the problems we've had and our new manager is the real deal.