Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Slysi17

This is the problem with fans. Someone defends a player they dont rate = They think he is WC. Can you show me where I said he is World class?

Or do you only have two definitions? Shit or world class

A defender can be good without being world class. Okay, go watch videos of Varane this season, cause you do not have a clue, he has been directly involved with alot of goals conceded against us as well.

Again, I have never said if Maguire will or wont play, You're the one saying if a manager plays maguire, the manager is shit.

Okay, so Manutd want an attacker, does that mean Sancho, Ronaldo are rubbish?
Thats a completely fair opinion and you are entitled to it. Also it isn't just Harry Maguire that's been awful. I guess my tolerance towards to the players is wearing thin. Which is why I went in hard on Maguire. Worse thing for me was the players not even trying.
I just think they don't deserve to be free from criticism from fans except for De Gea and Ronaldo who have been good.
Listen anyone in their right mind would not compare Harry to Varane when he’s fully fit .I do think that we shouldn’t judge a player on one terrible season, United and Maguire problem is that he should never ever have been captain, he reminds me of Steve Bruce as a player for us but without the bravery, we know he has that cavalier never say die attitude for England but for United he’s a wet damp Squid.

Dropping him , playing him less, stripping him of the captaincy that’s the correct action, in which case, ETH let’s him compete with Julian Timber , Varane , Lindelof for his 2 CB positions, ETH rarely plays 3 CB’s so he might only play 20-25 games like John Stones at City, the simple reality is both are hugely overrated but they have never let England down!
If Harry’s as good as he thinks he is, then he’ll be one of the top 10cbs in world football, let’s be clear here De Light who ETH had at Ajax is just as if not slower than Harry Maguire and the PL is very unforgiving for slow centre backs!
Oh look. If Harry Maguire has a good season next season and plays well for Ten Hag then he has proved me wrong. I do think he should never of been captain this season. Have Cristiano Ronaldo who really should be captain especially since he always performs every season and has won things.

Last edited:

alexthelion

i think he’s struggling to find space and you think he’s deliberately hiding, so let’s just agree to disagree

I’m okay with that and it doesn’t matter anyway
How can he be trying to find space when he's literally copying the movement of the player in front of him? He's not the one moving and being blocked, he's behind the opposition player the whole time.

alexthelion

You see Harry Maguire doesn't do that. If he actually was intelligent and read the game then his lack of pace wouldn't be an issue. My issue isn't his pace. Its the fact that he just isn't a very good centre back. Its almost as if you never watched Harry Maguire this season.
Did you watch him the previous season? Our best CB and one of the best in the league. Bad seasons happen.

Unam333

Has this been posted before?

Turn on the subtitles. His last Ajax interview.

Edit: ah right. Already posted before.

His reaction when the interviewer asks him not to bring Timber with him to United. :lol:

Slysi17

Did you watch him the previous season? Our best CB and one of the best in the league. Bad seasons happen.
As I said if he has a good season next season then I will say I was wrong and deserves to stay. I just can't see that happening but I could be wrong. Not saying its 100% correct.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Can't wait for Monday.

I assume a press conference is happening ?
It is reported on twitters.
One of my favourite bits of that interview is FDJ asking the ref to add extra time in the champions league because they are loving playing.

Tarrou

How can he be trying to find space when he's literally copying the movement of the player in front of him? He's not the one moving and being blocked, he's behind the opposition player the whole time.
I wasn't referring to the clip you are talking about

Chairman Steve

When was the last time we did an unveiling press conference? It’s all in-house MUTV interviews and written press releases these days for players and even managers.

Tavern in the town

So what are you saying? If we don't get top 4 should we sack Ten Hag next season?
That’s what we should do yes. Getting into the top 4 should be the absolute minimum and it’s quite grim seeing our own fans wanting us to turn into Arsenal. We piss ourselves laughing at Arteta and “the process” but want something similar to happen here? No thanks.

Unam333

That’s what we should do yes. Getting into the top 4 should be the absolute minimum and it’s quite grim seeing our own fans wanting us to turn into Arsenal. We piss ourselves laughing at Arteta and “the process” but want something similar to happen here? No thanks.
Let him rebuild. Top 4, top 7. Shouldn't really matter if there is progress. Ten Hag is a builder. Lego Ten Hag. Rebuilding takes time, but he just does that. There are two transfer windows in one year and it's not easy to convince players to join us after the season we just had. Inflated prices don't help and selling players with huge salaries is never easy. There are no guarantees that Ten Hag's signings will succeed here. It's all about how fast he can move unwanted, failed players and replace them with players who fit in his playing style and have the mentality to play for a big club like Man United.
Like Pep, Klopp and Chelsea did with their goalkeepers: if it doesn't work out, they need to be replaced as soon as possible.

Don't forget, the Premier League is so strong. It's actually really difficult to get into the top 4.
City, Liverpool and Chelsea are miles ahead of us. Tottenham are better than us. So, that's the current top 4 and should be next season's top 4. Arsenal are in the process of rebuilding and are ahead of us. Then we have outsiders like Leicester and even West Ham.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Our rebuild does not start this summer. Our rebuild starts tomorrow, on the field against Crystal Palace.

It’s a match with Europa ticket on the line. A proper trial mentally for our players. Let the new manager observe carefully tomorrow to see who still “wants” it badly enough to play respectable football next season. That would be the true goal of the match tomorrow.

For so many years, Manchester United’s managers have waited too long into the summer to start the purging job. This time things are different. Chin up, because our long-awaited rebuild starts tomorrow.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Olecurls99

So work with me here.

Given what's happened to us this season and let's assume City and Pool get 90+ points next season. Ten Hag comes in and starts getting us playing some lovely free flowing football albeit with some setbacks because of the glaring holes in our squad. We tussle it out with Spurs and Chelsea but lose out on the last day of the season.

You want us to sack him and start again?

Tavern in the town

So work with me here.

Given what's happened to us this season and let's assume City and Pool get 90+ points next season. Ten Hag comes in and starts getting us playing some lovely free flowing football albeit with some setbacks because of the glaring holes in our squad. We tussle it out with Spurs and Chelsea but lose out on the last day of the season.

You want us to sack him and start again?
I’m not really sure what you mean. All teams have periods of playing “lovely free flowing footballl.” Arsenal have scored some amazing goals this season. We occasionally played great football under Ole. That doesn’t mean those managers were good enough because that football was an irregular occurrence. If Ten Hag does have us playing that sort of football on a regular basis we will finish in the top 4. That’s the point.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Wow. Eric the Messiah. :nervous: :nervous:
Looking at the manager as some sort of messiah has been a flaw that needs addressing. Our team will make a comeback if the manager and our whole staffs all work well together. Not because the manager is one big genius who will suddenly work miracles. Good teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, City, Liverpool…succeed because they have a great structure for planning and organizing. They are strong as a whole team from staffs to players, not only because of the manager/head coach.
I’m not really sure what you mean. All teams have periods of playing “lovely free flowing footballl.” Arsenal have scored some amazing goals this season. We occasionally played great football under Ole. That doesn’t mean those managers were good enough because that football was an irregular occurrence. If Ten Hag does have us playing that sort of football on a regular basis we will finish in the top 4. That’s the point.
We may not have free-flowing, devastating football yet next year. But a more stable level of performance and some consistency in how we perform would be a good first foundation.

Actually Klopp’s first season at Liverpool would be a decent example and goal for us. He achieved that by signing players who fit into the grand plan, not superstar. There’s no reason why we cannot do that if United have indeed “done their homework” this season. And there are positive signs of this when we have been purging the old staffs structure, as well as approaching the new manager at a suitable time.

Olecurls99

I'll elaborate.

We play with a high line.

We play out from the back but we actually make it past the back 4 every now and again.

Our midfielders are coached to take the ball and turn and maybe take on the pressing player.

We create lots of chances and score lots of goals but concede goals getting used to the high line and losing the ball in the middle of the park.

We come 5th but look maybe 2 or 3 players away from the gameplan working perfectly.

Sack him?

Tavern in the town

I'll elaborate.

We play out from the back but we actually make it past the back 4 every now and again.

Our midfielders are coached to take the ball and turn and maybe take on the pressing player.

We create lots of chances and score lots of goals but concede goals getting used to the high line and losing the ball in the middle of the park.

We come 5th but look maybe 2 or 3 players away from the gameplan working perfectly.

Sack him?
That’s not a very viable scenario. We do have the players for a high line. Varane is pacy as hell and contrary to popular belief Maguire successfully played a high line under Ole in 20/21 (our defensive line was statistically the 4th highest in the league). And if we create lots of chances and score lots of goals we will finish 4th, because Chelsea actually aren’t that good. They’ve had a terrible season and are losing half their defenders, their attackers are misfiring and they’re going through a lot of uncertainty.

Everything you’ve described there is Arteta under Arsenal apart from scoring loads of goals by the way. And if they were scoring goals they’d have walked top 4.

Teja

I'll elaborate.

Sack him?
Yep I think this is a pretty realistic scenario. It will take time to implement his ideas, even Pep took a whole season to drill his ideas into the squad. I think some other things to look for:
  • How do we play in the big games? Do we get schooled by City / Pool while we struggle along with 20-30% possession?
  • What are the supporting metrics like? xG? xG diff? PPDA?
  • Does the football pass the eye test? Do we create chances in volume? Or are we playing LvG zombie-ball?

Olecurls99

That’s not a very viable scenario. We do have the players for a high line. Varane is pacy as hell and contrary to popular belief Maguire successfully played a high line under Ole in 20/21 (our defensive line was statistically the 4th highest in the league). And if we create lots of chances and score lots of goals we will finish 4th, because Chelsea actually aren’t that good. They’ve had a terrible season and are losing half their defenders, their attackers are misfiring and they’re going through a lot of uncertainty.

Everything you’ve described there is Arteta under Arsenal apart from scoring loads of goals by the way. And if they were scoring goals they’d have walked top 4.
I'm also describing Liverpool 15-16 who finished 8th under Klopp. They kept him.
Sometimes teams play good entertaining football and don't get top 4. There are lots of examples.

Currently we're playing crap football and coming 6th 7th, thus the low/realistic expectations.

I'll ask the question one last time. Would you be averse to keeping Ten Hag if his team came 5th and played really good football?

Tavern in the town

I'm also describing Liverpool 15-16 who finished 8th under Klopp. They kept him.
Sometimes teams play good entertaining football and don't get top 4. There are lots of examples.

Currently we're playing crap football and coming 6th 7th, thus the low/realistic expectations.

I'll ask the question one last time. Would you be averse to keeping Ten Hag if his team came 5th and played really good football?
Those situations again are not comparable because Klopp didn’t have a pre season or a transfer window. The moment he did Liverpool made top 4 comfortably. Just like we should.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What I want next season is to see progress. I want to see a style of play implemented with a good tactical and technical setup. I don’t expect trophies and instant success from ETH.