Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Fluctuation0161

I have little hope anything will really change until we have different ownership. I've certainly given up on blind hope with a new manager, especially one who hasn't managed outside Holland. But it would at least make a nice change to be pleasantly surprised for once.
I would agree, if not for the large scale staff changes in the background.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I have little hope anything will really change until we have different ownership. I've certainly given up on blind hope with a new manager, especially one who hasn't managed outside Holland. But it would at least make a nice change to be pleasantly surprised for once.
I would agree, if not for the large scale staff changes in the background.
Doom and Gloom for ETH reign has begun before it has even started. Well done lads.

(Seem to be forgetting the swift backroom changes over the last month have we?)

Fluctuation0161

Doom and Gloom for ETH reign has begun before it has even started. Well done lads.

Not forgotten, I think you misunderstood my post! That was exactly my point. I'm positive about ETH because it is alongside the backroom staff changes.

roseguy64

Not to single you out or anything, but this kind of post baffles me. I've been seeing things like this, as well as stuff to the effect: now that he's seen us live, he'll want to tear up his contract, hop on the first flight out of London/Manchester ... you get the idea. I know it's just jokes, but ...

My question is, what kind of man do you want managing Manchester United? Personally, the only kind of person you want taking such a job is one with an unshakeable belief in himself and his principles; someone who'll be like: yeah, its a difficult challenge, but I'm the guy to do it. No shrinking violets, timid fecks who dither and second-guess themselves.

And besides, experience has taught me that things always look so grim and insurmountable from the outside. Doesn't mean they actually are. All the best to Ten Hag!
A lot of people are experiencing some issues. You've just gotta ignore the doom and gloom posts. They'll be the same ones shouting about how they've always believed in ETH or in X player when things are going well next season.

RedIan

I hope the fans give ETH a chance. I remember as clear as day our fans turning on Fergie, banners and chants of Fergie out ringing out from the terraces at OT. I often wonder what those chanting Fergie out thought in subsequent years..
In the modern era fans are far less patient with managers than back in the 80,s. How soon will they turn on ETH have the team don’t hit the ground running?
It appears to me ETH is in the same mold as SAF.
He has a huge huge job to turn this around. Hopefully he does it from the off but realistically it may take 2-3 years Possibly 4-5.

choccy77

I'm really looking forward to 12am and tomorrow's press conference.

I wonder though if United push back to Tuesday to allow Hag chance to have a squad meeting talk to Ralf and the staff and have a tour etc.

Also, it gives Sky and the papers a day to jack off to City winning the league

captaincantona

De Gea. Not because he should but because he will.

Maguire and Lindelof shouldn't be first choice. Neither Telles or Dalot.

McTominay or Fred shouldn't be first choice. Elanga or Hannibal shouldn't. Cavani won't be.

Based on this season Fernandes doesn't deserve to be a starter.

The bad news is we have a shit squad. The good news is its now a summer transfer window. We really should let the 10 squad members go and sign 10 new players.

The Lindelofs, Dalots, McTominays and Elangas should be kept on as squad players.

Starting 11 wise the only players we have in the squad that should be starters under Ten Hag are De Gea, Varane, Sancho, Greenwood (on ability) and Ronaldo if he has to stay.
As shown by Pep and Klopp and ETH at Ajax (among many others) you don’t need world class players if your system and application is good enough. In that regard -

- De Gea
- Lindelof
- Dalot
- Varane
- Bruno
- Fred
- McT
- Elanga
- Sancho
- Hanibal
- Shoretire
- Garner
- VDB
- Ronny
Could be useful I would say. A few of the others too if they pass the attitude test.

Bring in a new core of starters (Timber, De Jong, Nunez, Antony) a few other Cheaper logical signings (a full back and another midfielder)...then we might at least see a team that can compete...and restore a bit of pride or joy to watching Utd again.

onemanarmy

ETH will easily show the fans here why Ralf should only be rated 0/10.
With a core of new players, yes.

Some of you see Ten Hag as the lord and savior. I expect you to call for his head by December if he doesn't get the right players in.

TheReligion

Abusive

Change isn’t positive apparently. Or something. Nor do we know if any of those involved in recruitment were any good or not.

jesperjaap

McTominay or Fred shouldn't be first choice. Elanga or Hannibal shouldn't. Cavani won't be.

The bad news is we have a shit squad. The good news is its now a summer transfer window. We really should let the 10 squad members go and sign 10 new players.

The Lindelofs, Dalots, McTominays and Elangas should be kept on as squad players.

Starting 11 wise the only players we have in the squad that should be starters under Ten Hag are De Gea, Varane, Sancho, Greenwood (on ability) and Ronaldo if he has to stay.
Pretty much agree with this, though I think it should be nearer 15 leaving, also I still feel Shaw is godo enough to be starting, though of coruse his form and fitness doesnt gurantee that at all, but bar positioning I feel he is good enough

Jacob

Closing the gap to City will be one of the most challenging managerial tasks ever.

el3mel

God help the guy. Coming to manage us at by far the most toxic atmosphere you can imagine.

United Hobbit

I didn't see today's game but sounds like they served up the usual dross

Hope he gets to work with those staying as soon as possible, cancel the bulk of their holiday and get them working away

Memento28

It's not possible to get rid of 10 players and sign 10 new players in one transfer window, it's not Fifa or Football Manager to be able to do that. Realistically Ten Hag will probably give more time to some of our players, to see if they can play his style of football and then get rid of whoever doesn't suit his style of football and whoever doesn't work hard enough for the team. I don't disagree that our squad is/looks shit and that we need new players but we need to be realistic, if you expect things to change so fast you will only end up being disappointed.

Reactions: Penna

Tiber

I tried blind faith and hope with LVG. Didn't work out so well

R'hllor

God help the guy. Coming to manage us at by far the most toxic atmosphere you can imagine.
Toxic or not, he has a power to open vents and detox the air, if he chooses to do so, sadly think feckers will get a chance to prove themself for 10th time and he will feck himself with that decision, which probably will lead to a shit show.

Edit: Hope he makes right decisions from a get go, those are most important in our case, hope he knows only success with us.

Jacob

Hope the rumours are true and he wants to get things done before end of May.