Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 76.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

cyberman

The top 4 race will be harder than ever next season with Spurs looking like they will be backing Conte and Arsenal/Chelsea likely improving as well. If Conte is backed, I have a feeling he will go all out to win it next season. Would leave Arsenal, Chelsea and us battling it out for the 4th place. Unless Liverpool or City have a major collapse, which I honestly don’t see happening.

It will be a tough level of PL for ETH to walk into next season. And given our rebuild, I wouldn‘t be surprised if we don’t make top 4 again. As long as we are making progress, I hope the fans and the club see the rebuild through. Easier said than done of course. I think Pep was struggling to make top 4 in his first season too, and that too with an arguably weaker league at the time.
Nah, Spurs are shit. This entire Conte has turned it around narrative stems from United imploding and Arsenal throwing 4th away. Its almost by default imo.
Contes shit football will grind that squad down next season, that style of football doesn't bring you success in England anymore.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The top 4 race will be harder than ever next season with Spurs looking like they will be backing Conte and Arsenal/Chelsea likely improving as well. If Conte is backed, I have a feeling he will go all out to win it next season. Would leave Arsenal, Chelsea and us battling it out for the 4th place. Unless Liverpool or City have a major collapse, which I honestly don’t see happening.

It will be a tough level of PL for ETH to walk into next season. And given our rebuild, I wouldn‘t be surprised if we don’t make top 4 again. As long as we are making progress, I hope the fans and the club see the rebuild through. Easier said than done of course. I think Pep was struggling to make top 4 in his first season too, and that too with an arguably weaker league at the time.
Yeh I wouldn’t be surprise too if we didn’t make top 4 next season. But as long as we are heading towards right direction, I am fine without top 4 again.

Real Name

Didn't leave much to the imagination did they :lol:

Next up: a former United player who holds a very senior position at the Ajax boardroom has told United players they should expect a tough preseason.
Apparently he played as a keeper.

r0663664

Worships Man City

We just ended the season and assumption are made that Spurs, City, Liverpool and Chelsea are nailed on top 4. I remember the season before when we finished 2nd, Liverpool was struggling to finish top 4. Nothing is guarantee, if ETH can get in 3-4 signings that hit the ground running. Who knows where we would finish. Let's see thr first 8 games and how we are playing before giving up. Hopefully we get a kind fixtures, no top 6 top until Oct. We will be fine.

flappyjay

It's more than doable though. The players we have are capable of playing to a much better standard.

I really do hope once he gets his ideas/formation/philosophy across we can start playing some good football.

Most importantly the players need to get behind ETH and give it a proper go. No more sulking and crying. Hopefully this summer we get rid of the unhappy bunch (Lingard,Bailly,Henderson,Pogba) and we can start seeing some more positivity again.
4 quality signings in the right positions will elevate us to the top 4

themanguydude

I’m very interested to know what the tactical plans and philosophy Ole had planned to implement this season that he couldn’t due to Ronaldo coming. Please elaborate….
The exact same as last 2 season. Low to Mid-ish block and attack through transitions.

I felt with the signing of Ronaldo, Ole was compelled into playing a more pro-active style of football that tries to dominate possession and with high press (which he ultimately failed to do so and that costed him his job).

And the focal point of our attacks as well was completely changed, in the last 2 seasons our goals were spread out amongst 3-4 players. But after Ronaldo came, it's basically spam passes to Ronaldo and hopes he scores.

Dempsey19

We can sign whoever but if the players don't listen to instructions and do what ETH expects of them then we will look same as always.

All 11 players need to do what they're told. Not just 1 or 2.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Based on Utd’s socials he’s basically been walking around Manchester in the same suit for 3 days.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Based on Utd’s socials he’s basically been walking around Manchester in the same suit for 3 days.
I think that's one of the reasons why he wanted to come to us. It's a good chance to buy and wear more suits.

Telsim

He will quickly earn the ire of the squad... if these reports are true. And they've already thrown 2 managers under the bus. He could be next if he is not careful.

L1nk

He's obviously packed very little because he's off on holiday in a day or two anyway so who cares about the suits :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He will quickly earn the ire of the squad... if these reports are true. And they've already thrown 2 managers under the bus. He could be next if he is not careful.
I hope so.

The sooner the lazy/arrogant/toxic players reveal themselves to the boss, the sooner they can be shipped out :drool:

Longshanks

I’m very interested to know what the tactical plans and philosophy Ole had planned to implement this season that he couldn’t due to Ronaldo coming. Please elaborate….
Oles philosophy relied on having the centre forward as a focal point, someone who would work hard for the team and was good with there back to goal, its why with cavani as a focal point and bruno in behind we began to show some real promise last season, I think the actual plan was to wait and try and get haaland who would of suited Oles philosophy perfectly, instead the club pissed all over his chips by signing Ronaldo who is a great goalscorer but isn't a focal point by any stretch of the imagination. We had to try and fit Ronaldo in, change our attacking tactics to try to fit him in and frankly it hasn't worked.

Ole could set us up to defend deep and counter attack no problem, but he wanted to make us more dominating and more attacking and he needed a proper centre forward for it, Ronaldo didn't fit the bill. Ole wanted to go to 4-3-3 with a high press but as soon as Ronaldo was signed that went out the window. Because there is no way Ronaldo could play in a high press system.

Ole made plenty of mistakes and the horror of this season is certainly partly on his shoulders but he was handed some shit sandwiches by the club along the way aswell.

AneRu

I'm not concerned about his style or personality, I wanted Conte after all and liked Jose, who both had that bluntness to them.

My main concern is perhaps him being overconfident or underestimating the problems here. I don't think it's just tactical and think that, if he tries to work with these lot, the outcome will surely be the same with them selling him down the river.

I said a while ago that I hoped he wouldn't come in with the same "assess what we have for a year" approach, because things will turn ugly once again and when we're in the midst of that anger and criticism, fingers will be pointed at him and all what I have said will be pointed out. Im not confident he'll survive it if the shit hits the fan again. We already have a depleted squad next season which will mean injuries will only exasperate these issues for him.

You can absolutely see a scenario where it goes very wrong again.
Its a given that these players will betray anyone who gives them the benefit of the doubt, him deciding to give them a year of assessment ia him signing his own Death Certificate and he might as well go back to Amsterdam. Ralf has seen first hand how treacherous these snakes can be and he would have been an asset if Ten Hag hadn't dismissed him so abruptly.

The way he kept on referring to that 2nd place finish as an indicator of this team's potential sounded like someone toeing the party line, suckinh up to a board that is reluctant to embark on yet another expensive rebuild. The thing though is that these players are technically, physically and mentally deficient to fulfil the demands of his style and without radical action he will settle on tge pragmatic possession play that got LVG hounded out of town a few years back.

I hope he hasn't deluded himself into thinking he is working with a pliant board willing to back him, as far as the suits are concerned they have wasted 1/2 a billion on Ole's cultural reset and they are done for a few years.

AneRu

Manchester United fans are one the most forgiving bunch in the world. Whenever a new manager came in, the fans hyped him up and if the players are showing consistent effort, the fans will get behind them. The question is, if players, who repeatedly struggled to do so in the past, can do it with a new manager.
In the end its about quality and forcing ETH to work with 20 players of the current squad, is setting him up for failure. Individually a few of these can certainly turn it around, but the dynamic of the club has to change and its imo unrealistic when the group doesn't change substantially. Most of these players got plenty of chances and there are limits to what a manager can do.

Its going to turn ugly fast if its same old story: okay results, but poor performances with little effort or team cohesion.
Truth, ETH needs about six starters signed for him this summer without the technical, physical or mental flaws that affects a lot of our players. Bar Shaw, Sancho and Lindelof we don't have anyone primed for his style so signing three or four will still have him lambered with four or five that can drag the whole team down. The rumblings of the same old transfer startegy emerging from OT and the apparent sidlining of Rangnick indicate that ETH is being set up to fail and sadly he looks like he is playing a part in that set up too.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Its a given that these players will betray anyone who gives them the benefit of the doubt, him deciding to give them a year of assessment ia him signing his own Death Certificate and he might as well go back to Amsterdam. Ralf has seen first hand how treacherous these snakes can be and he would have been an asset if Ten Hag hadn't dismissed him so abruptly.

The way he kept on referring to that 2nd place finish as an indicator of this team's potential sounded like someone toeing the party line, suckinh up to a board that is reluctant to embark on yet another expensive rebuild. The thing though is that these players are technically, physically and mentally deficient to fulfil the demands of his style and without radical action he will settle on tge pragmatic possession play that got LVG hounded out of town a few years back.

I hope he hasn't deluded himself into thinking he is working with a pliant board willing to back him, as far as the suits are concerned they have wasted 1/2 a billion on Ole's cultural reset and they are done for a few years.
At what point will some of you lots realize that Ten Hag is living in the real world and has to deal with the real scenario rather than the fantasy version fans like yourselves want to perpetrate.

This isn't a video game where Ten Hag comes him and has carte blanche to get rid of any player and replace them with whoever he wants.

Realistically speaking, Ten Hag knows that he has to work with most of the same players therefore has to get them onboard and one way to start is to imbed the idea that they have the potential to do great things. He's not going to come out and berate his new players just because the CAF think reality is some video game.

You don't start a new working relationship with new people by being antagonist lic toward them. A lot goes into managing players who get payed exorbitant amount of money than just laying down tactics. You need to get them on your side and establish a reasonable working relationship.

There aren't any button out there to press that will magically make players people don't want to see here disappear while new ones show up. You have to work with what's given to you first then gradually make changes.

I wish people on these boards would logically think before presenting their opinions. Most read like some FIFA manager games.

AneRu

At what point will some of you lots realize that Ten Hag is living in the real world and has to deal with the real scenario rather than the fantasy version fans like yourselves want to perpetrate.

This isn't a video game where Ten Hag comes him and has carte blanche to get rid of any player and replace them with whoever he wants.

Realistically speaking, Ten Hag knows that he has to work with most of the same players therefore has to get them onboard and one way to start is to imbed the idea that they have the potential to do great things. He's not going to come out and berate his new players just because the CAF think reality is some video game.

You don't start a new working relationship with new people by being antagonist lic toward them. A lot goes into managing players who get payed exorbitant amount of money than just laying down tactics. You need to get them on your side and establish a reasonable working relationship.

There aren't any button out there to press that will magically make players people don't want to see here disappear while new ones show up. You have to work with what's given to you first then gradually make changes.

I wish people on these boards would logically think before presenting their opinions. Most read like some FIFA manager games.
We say so because we have been there before with these players, the momemt you give them a chance they will throw the manager under the bus at the first hurdle. Klopp brought in 10 players in his first window, Pep almost the same and we are supposed to believe that clearouts are some mythical Football Manager fairytales when they always happen.

Look he doesn't have to listen to me or anyone on these boards but one thing we can guarantee is that if he doesnt get rid of a significant chunk of this swuad this summer we will be here 24 months from now hyping up his replacement and blaming it all on him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I want the next month to fly by so we can get into proper pre-season mode with him. I'm cautiously optimistic.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I want the next month to fly by so we can get into proper pre-season mode with him. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Yeah think we're all in the same boat at the moment. I usually enjoy all the transfer muppetery, but this season I just want it done and get on to seeing games and how we look

DSG

Not only he will almost be 38, but there's also a World Cup in November which is gonna be Ronaldo's last one. He won't even be pressing for 20 minutes never mind 80 minutes.

I won't be surprised to see him trying to leave a week or 2 before the end of the transfer window like he did with Juve.
Judging from the press conference, I think Ten Hag would be delighted to have Ronaldo in the side. We had a myriad of problems this last season, but Ronaldo wasn’t one of them. He actually had the second most ball recoveries by forward players and second most pressures. There is a lot of suggestions from the Caf that Ronaldo is lazy, didn’t work, doesn’t press, etc. The numbers do not back that up.

Ronaldo may want to leave as he’ll want to extend his record in the CL and play his last few seasons with a title challenging side. This will no doubt be spun to mean he didn’t want to work hard under Ten Hag.