Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Yakuza_devils

Can't wait for preseason to start and the media get to interview ETH. I know it's off season but it's too quiet. Good to have some updates from ETH about the team and transfers.

OpenIntrovert

He has the fitness and training plans prepared. Once he comes back, he will have a 1 to 1 talk with each of the players and see if they are willing to commit to his plan. Then he will kick start the training of the players to observe how they respond. This will also include the academy prospects.

He will probably play around with the formations and the players to see how it goes during pre-season, before deciding on the main formations and players for the season opener. By then he will have a idea on which player will stay and which player will be up for sale.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Insane how our own fans have managed to suck the life out of the season before Hag even got a chance to train the squad.
Many in here have doomsday scenarios going through their heads. I just hope they only do this kind of toxic mental dialogue with football and not aspects of life.

Cafer007

No need to be negative but it would be nice if he knows who is joining so he can prepare in his head at least.

bosskeano

these idiots making videos of how ETH is going to play know fuk all about what he's going to do....they're just arm chair twats that go to football matches and now think they are experts

ForeverRed1

How do we feel about us only having credible links to players he's worked with before? Timber, Eriksen, Martinez, De Jong and now Antony. The only other one we've had is links to Nunez.

Not that I have an issue with it but does feel a bit predictable and potentially problematic if it doesn't go well.
he isn’t proven at a club of this size just yet.. Ajax is a big club don’t get me wrong... it’s just this league and club is a step up.. if he shows what he can do and brings us up a level (champions league, cup runs etc) then I’m sure we will see a different story. If he brings in players he knows and trusts this first year then so be it.

Flexdegea

Many in here have doomsday scenarios going through their heads. I just hope they only do this kind of toxic mental dialogue with football and not aspects of life.

They seem to be getting grimmed of pundits commentating on us, and our apparent shambles of the pitch at the moment.

I don't understand it at all. Signing players asap seems to be the only way to judge if a club is not a shambles or not.

As I say the life been sucked out of the season this early and we haven't even reported back to pre season training yet

Thistlesoup

Realism. Delusion doesn't get you anywhere.

I rate Ten Hag highly, but he's no more capable of performing miracles than Jose Mourinho or Louis Van Gaal. If he isn't given the proper resources, he's on a hiding to nothing.

Anderson_7_

Those are side-effects from the last season, somewhat understandable. I do agree that some optimism would be nice.

Won’t happen overnight, but I believe ETH can get us back on the right track.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
While we don't know how ten Hag will play his targets and success in getting them will give us a good indication. I doubt he's going to do anything radical like playing de Gea as a mezzala or pizza.
:lol: :lol: :lol: at least you know he won't fall out of his box.

Revaulx

How do we feel about us only having credible links to players he's worked with before? Timber, Eriksen, Martinez, De Jong and now Antony. The only other one we've had is links to Nunez.

Not that I have an issue with it but does feel a bit predictable and potentially problematic if it doesn't go well.
The obvious answer, other than it’s just lazy journalist speculation, is that United have just sacked two senior scouts (rightly, by all accounts) and the new scouting structure isn’t up to speed yet, so there’s nobody at the club who can identify better targets than the ones EtH is coming up with.

Greck

The obvious answer, other than it’s just lazy journalist speculation, is that United have just sacked two senior scouts (rightly, by all accounts) and the new scouting structure isn’t up to speed yet, so there’s nobody at the club who can identify better targets than the ones EtH is coming up with.
So you don't think this makes the club look even worse? You don't knowingly, voluntarily, foresightedly sack an important role staff then leave the vacancy unmanned for 12 months without a provisional structure to avoid a collapse in the short term. This has to be made up because even I don't believe the club would be that negligent. Then again this is exactly what we did with Ole's removal so you might be on to something and I might be the naive one.

Last edited:

Real Name

I hope he's thinking about how he'll set us to play even on his holiday and that he's taking notes.

Revaulx

So you don't think this makes the club look even worse? You don't knowingly, voluntarily, foresightedly sack an important role staff then leave the vacancy unmanned for 12 months without a provisional structure to avoid a collapse in the short term. This has to be made up because even I don't believe the club would be that negligent. Then again this is exactly what we did with Ole's removal so you might be on to something and I might be the naive one.
It hasn’t been 12 months; their departure was announced on 20 April if the thread on here is accurate.

And given the apparently dismal state of our scouting in recent years there was nothing there to collapse. Sometimes it’s best to just move really hopeless people out and only start thinking about their replacements once they’ve gone.

You’re absolutely right that none of this puts the club in a good light; however, given the state we were in I’m prepared to give the current leadership a reasonable chance to see what they can do. Rumours linking us with Edwards might just be journalists making stuff up; they may be “true” in as much as it’s known that the club wants to beef up its first team recruitment.

Volksie316

The guy will do well to last the season.

He really doesn’t know what a mess this club truly is, but he will soon find out.

wolvored

Dont we have 40 odd scouts ii read some where? So we still got 40 odd scouts even if we sacked 2.

Gordon Godot

United only now seeming to show an interest in Edwards who is leaving Liverpool. though Chelsea seem to be offering him the sporting director role there. We dont have a qualified DOF, there are plenty of really good, experienced people out there, but we dont hire them. We have Fletcher in a role that noone can quite define without even a coaching badge to his name. At least we are getting rid of Phelan, maybe someone then can elighten us on exactly what he was doing for the last few years. We might hear good intentions from the new CEO but there is a long, long way to go. The fact that we went into this window with no clear list of targets beyond ETH's old players is shocking. Joke of a club

Real Name

United only now seeming to show an interest in Edwards who is leaving Liverpool. though Chelsea seem to be offering him the sporting director role there. We dont have a qualified DOF, there are plenty of really good, experienced people out there, but we dont hire them. We have Fletcher in a role that noone can quite define without even a coaching badge to his name. At least we are getting rid of Phelan, maybe someone then can elighten us on exactly what he was doing for the last few years. We might hear good intentions from the new CEO but there is a long, long way to go. The fact that we went into this window with no clear list of targets beyond ETH's old players is shocking. Joke of a club
You know the list?

Quality moan.

Gordon Godot

You know the list?

Quality moan.
Optimism is great but actions are key. So while all our rivals are already signing players and in some cases almost finished their business, where are United. And other than Ajax players, who exactly are we linked with? Anyone? Of course I may be proven wrong in a couple of months but nothing I see or hear makes me think that will happen.

So why dont we have a well qualified DoF, and is Fletcher's role or indeed qualifications? Any answers?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Realism. Delusion doesn't get you anywhere.

I rate Ten Hag highly, but he's no more capable of performing miracles than Jose Mourinho or Louis Van Gaal. If he isn't given the proper resources, he's on a hiding to nothing.
Agree that he needs proper resources, both on and off the pitch, but you can bet the doom mongers on here will be shouting for his head before Christmas if we have a poor start, regardless of who comes in.
SAF came into a similarish situation, and gradually changed lots of things, academy, scouting, coaching, as well as player personnel, and it took him over three years. ETH will not get three years of poorish displays before he gets the push, although I think our football will be a lot better in regards to looking like a team instead of 11 individuals.
To me there are two, or three, scenarios that could unfold, in one we buy in four or five new players, in which case the club would-be looking for instant success, like José, or two, we give our very good, but still unproven, academy players the nod, and try to develop the team over a couple of seasons, or three, just two or three new additions, two or three academy players in the match day squad, and (hopefully) a new lease of life for some of our poorer performing players from last season, and there were quite a few.
Realistically, it will take ETH at least this season to weedle out the players who will not, or can not, adapt to his way of playing, but I firmly believe that every player still on United's books on the first day of pre season, will be given the opportunity to show the manager what they can do, and hope some get their mojo back.

Real Name

Optimism is great but actions are key. So while all our rivals are already signing players and in some cases almost finished their business, where are United. And other than Ajax players, who exactly are we linked with? Anyone? Of course I may be proven wrong in a couple of months but nothing I see or hear makes me think that will happen.

So why dont we have a well qualified DoF, and is Fletcher's role or indeed qualifications? Any answers?
That has been answered and explained in detail in this very forum, both the DoF situation and Fletcher's position.

As for the links, even if we believe every media link out there not all the players we're linked with are Ajax ones and in the most part media is just guessing anyway.

Flexdegea

You moaning for sake of moaning.

I'd only think it's been a shitshow if players we were in for, not paper linked, actually went else where and wee missed the boat.

I honestly don't remember the negativity this early into a transfer window.

Also the ex Liverpool man Edwards is another curve ball chucked in to hammer the club because we apparently not in for him, even with no spot for him available but we should be in for him.

Simping hard for Liverpool these days our fans :lol:

choccy77

He has the fitness and training plans prepared. Once he comes back, he will have a 1 to 1 talk with each of the players and see if they are willing to commit to his plan. Then he will kick start the training of the players to observe how they respond. This will also include the academy prospects.

He will probably play around with the formations and the players to see how it goes during pre-season, before deciding on the main formations and players for the season opener. By then he will have a idea on which player will stay and which player will be up for sale.
So Phil, where do you see yourself in 5 years, Phil launches into a big sinister smile.

Thistlesoup

Agree that he needs proper resources, both on and off the pitch, but you can bet the doom mongers on here will be shouting for his head before Christmas if we have a poor start, regardless of who comes in.
SAF came into a similarish situation, and gradually changed lots of things, academy, scouting, coaching, as well as player personnel, and it took him over three years. ETH will not get three years of poorish displays before he gets the push, although I think our football will be a lot better in regards to looking like a team instead of 11 individuals.
To me there are two, or three, scenarios that could unfold, in one we buy in four or five new players, in which case the club would-be looking for instant success, like José, or two, we give our very good, but still unproven, academy players the nod, and try to develop the team over a couple of seasons, or three, just two or three new additions, two or three academy players in the match day squad, and (hopefully) a new lease of life for some of our poorer performing players from last season, and there were quite a few.
Realistically, it will take ETH at least this season to weedle out the players who will not, or can not, adapt to his way of playing, but I firmly believe that every player still on United's books on the first day of pre season, will be given the opportunity to show the manager what they can do, and hope some get their mojo back.

Time to stop the, "Fergie did this" / "This is what happened when Fergie joined".

There's not going to be another Fergie. He was a one off and those days are over and have been since 2013.

The "doom mongers" as you call them (my outlook is similar to theirs) will probably be MORE likely to have patience with ETH.

I know that judging by how things are at the minute, I think he's on a hiding to nothing and if this shambles continues then he can hardly be held responsible for failing to deliver miracles when the club is ran in such a ridiculous fashion, and he doesn't have the resources he needs.

It enfuriates me when I look at how teams like Villa and Tottenham have quietly and efficiently got on with their business and compare to the mess of our transfer window, or the fact that we KNEW that we urgently needed a DM, yet spend circa £70million taking punts on "ones for the future" such as Pellistri and Diallo, still don't have a DM and are apparently quibbling over £10 million +/- for our key target this summer.

Nothing about this club is competent and ETH can't perform miracles.

bonothom

Is this really true or is it just a case of nostalgia bias? I recall quite a few late deals.
Pretty much, I think United did used to have transfer business done under Fergie within the the first week of the window opening. The only late ones that I can recall are Berbatov and dealing with Levy your bound to have problems. It seems that these days every deal United do is like dealing with Levy, massively protracted and complicated.

Revaulx

Who in your opinion is a well qualified DOF? Edwards’s CV looks remarkably like Murtough’s.

I’m yet to be convinced that Murtough is the right man. But I’m not sure what makes him not well-qualified.