Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Harold_Giles

Optimism is great but actions are key. So while all our rivals are already signing players and in some cases almost finished their business, where are United. And other than Ajax players, who exactly are we linked with? Anyone? Of course I may be proven wrong in a couple of months but nothing I see or hear makes me think that will happen.
Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Tottenham have completed one big signing each this summer.
Chelsea none.

You are being a bit dramatic mate.

If we haven't signed anyone before we go on the pre season tour, then I'll join you in the meltdown.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ultimately RR was too scathing in his criticism of the players but I worry that ETH will realise that Ralf was right.

If I were to try and understand ETH’s thinking, RR had become too toxic and he wants to bring the vibes back.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think it was evident from his initial interview he wasn’t fussed on working with RR. Was rather dismissive of the question about working with him.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Oh yes, I believe you Alex. No ulterior motive here, no. No. Happy you had to explain it us. Any briefs from club on Glazers and money they are taking today, Alex? No?!

OpenIntrovert

Ultimately RR was too scathing in his criticism of the players but I worry that ETH will realise that Ralf was right.

If I were to try and understand ETH’s thinking, RR had become too toxic and he wants to bring the vibes back.
Yes you are right about ETH's thinking. He knows that blasting the players publicly is a no-go in the man-management 101 book.

As for RR's criticism, i felt that he is not very good at working with players whose attributes don't suit the gegenpressing system. This problem will always happen with managers who strongly rely on a system. As for ETH, he has already observed the players before he became manager and yet he was very confident about becoming the manager. If anything, it probably shows that ETH has a clear plan on how to deal with the existing squad. ETH is also a manager who can adapt different type of tactics, so it wont be a surprise that the existing squad (at least most of them) can play better than last season.

OpenIntrovert

There's truth to it. It was obvious from ten Hag's first press conference.
That's because there is direction from the club not to mention much about RR. RR's comments during the last matches of the season certainly caused uproar in terms of the public image, since it gave the impression that the club was not listening to him (e.g. didnt sign strikers during the window). So the club had already started to distance themselves from RR before ETH came in. Internally, the club would have given an update on ETH on RR and how they will be moving forward, which is why ETH gave that comment.

If ETH did not want to work with RR, he would not have passed the interview as back then, RR was still strongly thought of by the club. Moreover, it is the club that will reserve the final call on which employee should go, not ETH. ETH can say that he would like to keep his distance, but the club can still overwrite his decision and ask him to work with RR in a different capacity. ETH is not the CEO, he is just a first team manager. It is very clear that it was the club that decided on RR going off.

This is why I say not to trust the media, cause they have no idea how a club hierarchy works. It is basically the same as any company that you see, where the directors, presidents, CEO always have the final decisions.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dont even read into this article guys. When there is nothing they can report on Manchester United, they will come up with such imaginary articles.
I thought this was the case after his introductory press conference to be fair. The timing of it stinks, that’s all.

chb23

Really hope ETH still listened to some of the things RR said. Nothing will beat half a season of 1st hand experience/knowledge of the team.

He would be a fool to completely dismiss

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Really hope ETH still listened to some of the things RR said. Nothing will beat half a season of 1st hand experience/knowledge of the team.

Don't think ETH will be a soft touch, if this lot do not show they can cope with his football they will be on the next train leaving in January. We were never going to replace everybody, but they need to make sure they bring in the players he believes he needs. Just suspect there would have been a big clash of personalities between RR and ETH.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
That's because there is direction from the club not to mention much about RR. RR's comments during the last matches of the season certainly caused uproar in terms of the public image, since it gave the impression that the club was not listening to him (e.g. didnt sign strikers during the window). So the club had already started to distance themselves from RR before ETH came in. Internally, the club would have given an update on ETH on RR and how they will be moving forward, which is why ETH gave that comment.

If ETH did not want to work with RR, he would not have passed the interview as back then, RR was still strongly thought of by the club. Moreover, it is the club that will reserve the final call on which employee should go, not ETH. ETH can say that he would like to keep his distance, but the club can still overwrite his decision and ask him to work with RR in a different capacity. ETH is not the CEO, he is just a first team manager. It is very clear that it was the club that decided on RR going off.
The club weren't happy with Rangnick airing dirty laundry in public but if ten Hag came in and said he was happy to work alongside Rangnick they would've kept him on as it was Murtough that banged the table for Rangnick and brought him to United in the first place. It was his first real move as football director. It's clear ten Hag wasn't bothered about hearing Rangnick's thoughts and he didn't think he was needed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The club weren't happy with Rangnick airing dirty laundry in public but if ten Hag came in and said he was happy to work alongside Rangnick they would've kept him on as it was Murtough that banged the table for Rangnick and brought him to United in the first place. It was his first real move as football director. It's clear ten Hag wasn't bothered about hearing Rangnick's thoughts and he didn't think he was needed.
So we have a manager who can hopefully out arrogance some of our players.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

He's a control freak and a smart man. He won't dismiss everything that has been said.

OpenIntrovert

Manchester United, unfortunately is a corporate organization. Regardless of how ETH felt, once you publicly blast the club, you are a goner. Like i said, ETH might not want to work with RR but Murtough overwrites him as he is the director. Basically any employee who publicly criticizes their organization is going to be sent to the gallows, regardless of how others feel. If you have worked in corporate organizations, you will know how organizations look at such matters.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Oh yes, I believe you Alex. No ulterior motive here, no. No. Happy you had to explain it us. Any briefs from club on Glazers and money they are taking today, Alex? No?!
The fact they have to include the defence shows they already know what everyone is thinking.

We'll see the reward for it down the line when ESPN gets the exclusiva if/when we finally get the De Jong deal over the line.

Honestly, its garbage and, to be frank, who the feck cares? Rangnick is gone. Honestly, at this moment in time, Van Gaal is more relevant to United cos he seems to be having more impact on our incomings! :lol:

This looney toons 'look behind you' stuff is beneath serious journalists who should instead, at the very least, be telling us why we ain't signing a proper #6. Nevermind shining the light on how badly our owners run our club.

Long Time Red

No he wouldn't, he should make up his own mind.

largelyworried

Don't blame him to be honest, having RR there could blur the lines with the players ETH has to manage. For example, where RR fell out with a player that ETH is trying to reintegrate. Not saying its the right decision - time will tell on that - just that its an understandable one.

Greck

Dont even read into this article guys. When there is nothing they can report on Manchester United, they will come up with such imaginary articles.
I've also lost track of who is credible and who isnt. Pattern is whichever one says what we want to hear. The same journo posts something negative about people still at the club and it's made up.

Flexdegea

Don't think this is the case.

Hag clearly knows he might have to use some of these players for next season so will be doing all he can to use them and keep the harmony with the sqaud. Can understand Ralf hammering then but won't be in Hag interest to come in and do the same thing. Hes here to stay so will work with what he got until he can move on some players etc, could take 2/3 windows to get the full squad and team in he likes

Volksie316

I’m not liking the vibes with this guy at all, the moment.

He sounds like more of a puppet than Ole did, at the moment.

“The existing squad had loads of potential
“This squad finished 2nd, the season before last”

RR clearly identified how poor our current group is, but instead of backing him and his upstairs role, he threw him under the bus, alongside the board.

Not looking good!

Strootman's Finger

Look lads I already admitted my mistake, I thought he left for Madrid after that stellar year he had with us. I’m not a football encyclopaedia haha!
I hold my hands up ok! Haha!
I think it was evident from his initial interview he wasn’t fussed on working with RR. Was rather dismissive of the question about working with him.
Maybe he already knew that Ralf was getting sacked, if so, what was he supposed to say?

Robindinho

:lol:

@MENnewsdesk? I've looked through and it's showing any sports related tweets in the last 3 hours for me. All about Love Island, Victoria Beckham, Manchester schools etc.
He wanted to give us an update on cannabis being found behind a garage wall :lol:

@ManUtdMEN

choccy77

:lol:

@MENnewsdesk? I've looked through and it's showing any sports related tweets in the last 3 hours for me. All about Love Island, Victoria Beckham, Manchester schools etc.
Try following the manutd one ;)

The Red Thinker

RR clearly identified how poor our current group is, but instead of backing him and his upstairs role, he threw him under the bus, alongside the board.

Not looking good!
You ended that exactly like a Donald Trump tweet. Figures.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Not looking good!
For some reason our fans rate managers who protects themselves by throwing everyone under bus than manager who might be interested to coach the team and get the best out of them.

RR showed how shit he is at coaching the team.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I've had a good look around twitter and yeah a good amount of our idiotic 'fans' are already writing him off. The man hasn't even taken a training session yet.

Amarsdd

I thought those critical of Ralf were the ones supposed to be moaing about ETH first. Well, that's what they were saying anyway. Weird..

Tom Van Persie

No relation
For some reason our fans rate managers who protects themselves by throwing everyone under bus than manager who might be interested to coach the team and get the best out of them.

RR showed how shit he is at coaching the team.
It's strange because we had a manager for 26 years that always tried to get the best of the players in his squad and kept club business behind closed doors as much as possible. I'm starting to question the age of a lot of these people because there's no way they were following the club in the Fergie days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's strange because we had a manager for 26 years that always tried to get the best of the players in his squad and kept club business behind closed doors as much as possible. I'm starting to question the age of a lot of these people because there's no way they were following the club in the Fergie days.
Yeah, most of it was to protect themselves from the poor job they were doing.

We don't have very good squad but much better than how we played under Rangnick. Can't blame him for everything as he couldn't get the staff he wanted because of brexit and short tenure.

Stinkypete

Murtough wanted Ralf as Interim manager of that there is no doubt at all. Beyond that everything is conjecture. It was reported at the time that Rangnick would only sign on if he were offered the consultancy contract. Could have quite easily been an accountancy issue leaving a long term contract for a short term interim role or maybe the club did have ideas beyond his interim appointment but it's important to point out those negotiations were arranged by Woodward and Judge.

With regards to his tenure, he was told to focus on the first team several times when trying to have impact behind the scenes reportedly. It was also reported that his interim role was as liaison to European clubs in a post brexit world.

It was also reported several times he would be consultant to Murtough. Nowhere until recent reports has it even been suggested he was consultant to Ten Hag, that's actually quite a ridiculous role for the club to be giving out and undermines the work Ten Hag has done in the past. I doubt it was even discussed.

Reactions: Sultan