Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

city-puma

His tactical style is far easy to implement without Ronaldo. If Ronaldo stays, ETH will be expected to change his tactics and philosophy to fit Ronaldo's play style.

It is much better for the team and manager in the medium to long term to just let Ronaldo leave this summer.
Exactly. Since the appointment of ETH, my only concern is how to deal with Ronaldo. I am still very angry about his reaction when he was substituted. Remember all the shit thrown to Ole when he left out Ronaldo in one game?
The team doesn’t need such a nonsense. He should leave. It’s good for ETH.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Poor bloke, just when he thought he knew what he'd let himself in for

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I really feel for him. I just hope the fans back him 100% and turn their anger and frustration towards the Glazers and the board if things don’t go well.

Red00012

He’s found out in a week that Bailly won’t leave and Ronaldo wants to . Poor guy doesn’t know what he’s let himself in for.

Marcelinho87

I guarantee we fair better with Martial as striker than we do Ronaldo.

Ronaldo > Martial every day of the week and twice on Sundays but from a tactical point of view which benefits the team..

Castia

5 days before we jet off on tour and not a single signing in place or sale of deadwood players.

He must be fuming to be fair it’s not acceptable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I guarantee we fair better with Martial as striker than we do Ronaldo.

Ronaldo > Martial every day of the week and twice on Sundays but from a tactical point of view which benefits the team..
Yeah Martial being 10 years younger is far more energetic and keen to press.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
5 days before we jet off on tour and not a single signing in place or sale of deadwood players.

Is that new for us? Some idiots laughed at my comments a week or ao ago, no it seems to dawning on them

Blood Mage

It's a shambles and I refuse to believe that the club told him in his interview not to expect any signings until July. He's being let down and hung out to dry by an incompetent, unserious board and incompetent, unserious owners.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Malacia is done and will be announced tomorrow. I imagine Martinez will be completed by the end of the week as we're in advanced negotiations for him, the player is pushing for a move and we're not that far off Ajax's asking price. de Jong is complicated as Barca are messing us around at this point. We should have Eriksen's decision soon too. It was reported by Ducker weeks ago that ten Hag's more detailed training ground work won't start until the second half of pre-season.

Honestly don't get the pity posts. Of course ten Hag knew what he was getting himself in to. He took this job because it's a challenge and he knows he is more than capable of turning this club around. United feel the same way hence why they hired him and are going after his targets.

Eddy_JukeZ

Getting rid of Ronaldo at this point should be a priority. The club needs to put the football side of things 1st.

He didn't want to fit into Rangnick's pressing system and he won't under ETH either.

He'll severely limit our pressing from the front.

fps

Exactly. Since the appointment of ETH, my only concern is how to deal with Ronaldo. I am still very angry about his reaction when he was substituted. Remember all the shit thrown to Ole when he left out Ronaldo in one game?
The team doesn’t need such a nonsense. He should leave. It’s good for ETH.
You can bet Ole regrets signing him. The other attackers went backwards and he refused to buy into what Ole wanted.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You can bet Ole regrets signing him. The other attackers went backwards and he refused to buy into what Ole wanted.
The Ole pr team were keen to stress Ronaldo was a club's idea and not his, he only went along with it.

Eddy_JukeZ

The Ole pr team were keen to stress Ronaldo was a club's idea and not his, he only went along with it.
By all accounts, this was only after his sacking for a good PR spin.

Almost every credible report at the time indicates Ole wanted him, but the coaching staff told him he'd be a tactical headache. He refused to listen to them.

fps

Almost every credible report at the time indicates Ole wanted him, but the coaching staff told him he'd be a tactical headache. He refused to listen to them.
Do you have links on that?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Getting rid of Ronaldo at this point should be a priority. The club needs to put the football side of things 1st.

He didn't want to fit into Rangnick's pressing system and he won't under ETH either.

He'll severely limit our pressing from the front.
I agree about the top part… but i think Ronaldo can press when he wants to. Under ten Hag we’ll see more of the ball hopefully so that will mean less pressing as we’ll be the ones dominating and creating chances. Last season Ronaldo showed glimpses of tracking back late on in games to protect a lead and chasing down opponents. Do think if he wants to go though we should show him the door and bring a more team player in.

phelans shorts

I don’t recall a single part of the latter. The only thing I remember after him signing was Ole’a press conference saying how good a player he is etc… which he had to say

Matt851

We're now in July and have not signed a single new player; is this because players are not attracted to joining a mid table team like us or because our transfer strategy is rubbish, or both? Either way, ETH may have targetted certain players but will he get them? Meanwhile we welcome back Martial, Jones et al. Its simply not good enough.
Our transfer strategy mainly seems to involve trying to sign ajax players with a couple of other Dutch players targeted as well. I am of the opinion that is rather a shit strategy, particularly given that ajax had already lost a couple of key players so would clearly be more resistant to future transfers.

Focusing so much of our activity on players from the Dutch league is clearly risky even if we do manage to sign them, given the mixed record they have in performing in the pl. It also means we are missing out on talent from the rest of Europe.

Also the fact we look like not making signings to address rb, cf and dm is concerning

Ten Hag may turn put to be a top manager but he will struggle with the wrong team, even pep did

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our transfer strategy mainly seems to involve trying to sign ajax players with a couple of other Dutch players targeted as well. I am of the opinion that is rather a shit strategy, particularly given that ajax had already lost a couple of key players so would clearly be more resistant to future transfers.

Focusing so much of our activity on players from the Dutch league is clearly risky even if we do manage to sign them, given the mixed record they have in performing in the pl. It also means we are missing out on talent from the rest of Europe.

Also the fact we look like not making signings to address rb and dm is concerning

Ten Hag may turn put to be a top manager but he will struggle with the wrong team, even pep did
He has apparently but his eggs in the Dalot basket, so now he has to prove that his decision is correct. Is there any other RB in the younger group that isn't called Laird. The kids will be desperate to prove themselves to him and that they should be kept here rather than going on loan. That isn't a bad thing.

ThanksBoss26

He has apparently but his eggs in the Dalot basket, so now he has to prove that his decision is correct. Is there any other RB in the younger group that isn't called Laird. The kids will be desperate to prove themselves to him and that they should be kept here rather than going on loan. That isn't a bad thing.
Marc Jurado. Not long turned 18, highly rated but may be too early for him.

Idxomer

I don’t recall a single part of the latter. The only thing I remember after him signing was Ole’a press conference saying how good a player he is etc… which he had to say
He said this before his signing

I didn't think Ronaldo was going to leave Juventus, speculation the last few days. We have always had good communication, Bruno has been talking to him. He knows how we feel about him, if he was ever going to move he knows we are here.

sugar_kane

It’s perfectly conceivable that Ole signed off on the Ronny signing without actually believing it was the right thing to do.

Complete speculation of course, but I could totally see him feeling like he can’t say no to the idea when the club are pushing for it given that it’s such a big name and a PR and commercial dream. I’m not absolving him of blame in this scenario - he of course should have stood his ground if true, but the Ronaldo signing ran counter to almost everything that came before under his tenure.

Prior to last season Ole had a young team that seemed to like him and respect him, partly because they didn’t know any different - but it somehow worked much of the time.

Anyone (Solskjaer included) could predict that with Ronny’s profile and temperament that balance would be disrupted.

Personally I’m glad Ronaldo is off, it was a novelty to see him playing for United again and he provided us with a handful of truly memorable moments last season (including 1 or 2 games where he single handedly played everyone off the pitch) but I fear he will be as disruptive to the new set-up as he was to Ole’s.

Trex

I feel under ETH we'll go one way or another
1. Arsene Wenger Arsenal post 2004, with possession, flair and imagination but lacking consistency and and a back bone.
Or
2. Pep Man city.

fps

It’s perfectly conceivable that Ole signed off on the Ronny signing without actually believing it was the right thing to do.

Complete speculation of course, but I could totally see him feeling like he can’t say no to the idea when the club are pushing for it given that it’s such a big name and a PR and commercial dream. I’m not absolving him of blame in this scenario - he of course should have stood his ground if true, but the Ronaldo signing ran counter to almost everything that came before under his tenure.

Prior to last season Ole had a young team that seemed to like him and respect him, partly because they didn’t know any different - but it somehow worked much of the time.

Anyone (Solskjaer included) could predict that with Ronny’s profile and temperament that balance would be disrupted.

Personally I’m glad Ronaldo is off, it was a novelty to see him playing for United again and he provided us with a handful of truly memorable moments last season (including 1 or 2 games where he single handedly played everyone off the pitch) but I fear he will be as disruptive to the new set-up as he was to Ole’s.
These thoughts are also my thoughts 100%.

OpenIntrovert

People who are saying Ronaldo cannot fit in ETH's plans probably did not see Ajax last season. They were playing with Haller as a CF and Ronaldo is a even better CF then Haller. ETH is capable of using different tactics to accommodate different type of players, so there is no need for concern lads.

Number TwentyFive

So a few days until the teams go on tour and the biggest concern for many fans are that the club hasnt landed any signings. I agree that it is a big problem, but dig a bit deeper, and there is a concern that is just as big. I might be blasted for this, but when looking at what players that are linked in, then I think the new manager and his lack of Premier League experience is a bigger concern.

ETH is probably a great coach, if not Ajax wouldnt be as good as they've been under him, but that is not the issue. The issue is what players he want in. The players are probaby good, but there is a few buts.

1. Frenkie de Jong, does he really want to come here? This transfer has been dragging out for weeks now. If the player really wanted to sign for the club, with Barcelonas money trouble, then this deal would have been rubber stamped weeks ago. Why go on the hunt for a player that has set his heart on staying were he is. Also if de Jong is such a big must that ETHs project is completley dependet on him, then is he a such a great coach if there is only one player in the whole world that can make his project work.

2. Tyler Malacia, a left back. Ok Shaw was poor last season, but if ETH wat attacking wing backs and is such a great coach then Shaw will fit ETH. But even if Shaw dont return to previous form, there is a glaring hole at right back. AWB is clearly not not good enough as an attacking wing back, and his defensive positioning is just awful. Dalot isnt much better defensively, and while he can go forward, how many crosses do actually hit a teammate in the box? The club need a new right back, and at the same time can leave with Shaw even if he doesn't return to his best as the options on the right are horrible.

3. Christian Eriksen. Great player, one of my favourites, but why? He plays in excactly the same position as Bruno. Yes the club need squad depth, and of course he will be a good player in the squad. Still there are two questions to be asked both with the answer "no". Will Eriksen sign and accept to be a back-up? No. Should the club prioritise 150 k a week for another attacking midfielder, before they sign a defensive midfielder? No.

4. Lisandro Martinez. A 1.75 m tall or should i say short central defender. This is for me the biggest clue that ETH hasn't done his research about what the Premier League is. No matter ho great leap Martinez has and how many aerial duels he has won in the Eredivisie he is to short for the Premier League. First ETH wanted Timber who is 1.79 m tall and when he rejects he goes even lower. In the Premier League even Man City and Liverpool have spells in almost every games were they have to defend crosses from poorer teams, to think that United would avoid that and can manage with a short central defender is either lack of competence or arrogance. Yes, the big clubs in the Eredivisie can get away with it, as they are much more dominant and all clubs there play the dutch way, but in the Premier League most teams have a physical element of their game and they use it. Consider that Lindeløf is 1.87 m tall and struggles in the arial duels, do anyone actually think that Martinez would thrive in the Premier League. Please let him go to Arsenal.

So yes there is a big concern that the club hasn't managed to land any signing, and that could be blamed on the owners, the leadership. Still the new manager and the players he want to prioritise first is a huge concern. I fear that he has an idea that he can make United control games like Ajax do in the Eredivisie, but that is impossible to do in the Premier League, the opposition always creates a few chances. The fact is that the club need a new right back, a Premier League suited central defender, a defensive midfielder and/or a midfielder that wants to sign, a young striker so "the Ego" can get his transfer request accepted, and none of that seems to be prioritised by ETH. Next season will be a struggle, and if ETH doesn't start to adress the needs in this squad and learn what the Premier League is about then I wonder who the next manager will be.

Number TwentyFive

People who are saying Ronaldo cannot fit in ETH's plans probably did not see Ajax last season. They were playing with Haller as a CF and Ronaldo is a even better CF then Haller. ETH is capable of using different tactics to accommodate different type of players, so there is no need for concern lads.
Yeah CR is better, but Haller actually did put in the defensive work CR won't do. This is not about quality, but how CR fit the tactical system.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I feel under ETH we'll go one way or another
1. Arsene Wenger Arsenal post 2004, with possession, flair and imagination but lacking consistency and and a back bone.
Or
2. Pep Man city.
That team at least finished top 4 most seasons. We're not about to become Man City