Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why is Malacia constantly called a backup LB?
I don't think anybody really expects him to dislodge Shaw immediately. It'll take him a while to adjust to the league.

On top form Shaw is arguably our best player, but it all depends how fit he is after his operation.

Longshanks

That didn’t happen at all. The season we ended up second we finished in awful form, with huge doubts about whether we were actually progressing under Ole. Smashed by Liverpool, beaten by Leicester, drew with Fulham and then that horrible EL final where Ole seemed completely out of his depth, not making any subs or tactical changes until it was far too late.
Leicester beat our b side after we were scheduled to play 4 games in a week, the 4-2 defeat against Liverpool wasn't exactly a smashing, the 1-1 draw against Fulham was an absoulte dead rubber at the end of the 4 game week and then the europa league final where we were beat on penalties by a team that took the European champions to penalties a few months later and also knocked bayern Munich out of the CL this season, not exactly also rans, funninly enough you missed out the 2-1 win against wolves which was also a dead rubber and meaningless.

There were question marks for sure, but awful form? Excellent victories away at Milan,spurs and City trouncing Roma at home scoring the most goals in a season since SAF. There was definitely something good happening non of those results were flukes.

In the end its all pointless because we know how it ended In disaster and we have a hopefully exciting new era ahead of us.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Does EtH actually expect young men in their 20s and 30s, loaded with money and surrounded by leaches pretending to be friends, to actually avoid alcohol for 9 months of the year?
This isn’t sustainable and if he now goes easy on this rule, players will expect him to also make concessions elsewhere.
Also - there is a huge risk of bingeing on off-weeks as players will try to fit in as much before the on-weeks start. This is why cheat days or cheat meals fail. Players are also humans.
A better idea would be to tell the players about self control: tiny portions of alcohol or sweets every now and then to keep them motivated to train hard. Remind them that their BMI is being monitored and they stand to lose their place if they’re unfit.
This is what works with even professional bodybuilders. Even Arnold S and Ronnie Coleman ( 8x Mr Olympia) have spoken about this.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Does EtH actually expect young men in their 20s and 30s, loaded with money and surrounded by leaches pretending to be friends, to actually avoid alcohol for 9 months of the year?
This isn’t sustainable and if he now goes easy on this rule, players will expect him to also make concessions elsewhere.
Also - there is a huge risk of bingeing on off-weeks as players will try to fit in as much before the on-weeks start. This is why cheat days or cheat meals fail. Players are also humans.
A better idea would be to tell the players about self control: tiny portions of alcohol or sweets every now and then to keep them motivated to train hard. Remind them that their BMI is being monitored and they stand to lose their place if they’re unfit.
This is what works with even professional bodybuilders. Even Arnold S and Ronnie Coleman ( 8x Mr Olympia) have spoken about this.
I think it means that they can't have a drink before the match, but if i remember correctly at Ajax some players had a drink after a match, so it might only be in the lead up to a match, which makes sense

DickDastardly

It says during match weeks.

Play a game on saturday lunch time, no drinks on friday. Can't imagine that would be too hard for any professional of any profession.

Have a drink after the game. Don't get shitfaced though.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
it’s widely known to be outdated so I doubt it’s true.
BMI is not an outdated measure. For example - the USFDA guidelines to have drugs approved mentions a BMI range for test volunteers in most documents.
It’s just that BMI should be used in conjunction with a visual test. For example a lot of Asian men and women would be considered underweight if we followed only BMI.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Can't believe people are still trying to paint Ole as anything but an unmitigated disaster. The worst manager the club has had since the 70s, and someone who it was painfully obvious was never good enough.

Division in the fanbase needs to stop now Ten Hag is here. I remember being told I'm not a "true mancunian red" because I wanted a better manager in instead of Ole. This kind of dialogue is self destructive. We've got the man we want, and he has a style and plan we can get behind. I'm excited to see us build with him.
Don't you think you're promoting division in the fan base with such a claim? You surely know many don't agree with that so what's the benefit of making such a claim "now Ten Hag is here"? This kind of dialogue is truly destructive so you should try to keep away from it yourself.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You do know this is not his first job managing those kind of people, right? He probably knows what he's doing and whether it can work. Plus this isn't an official communiqué; as others have pointed out, their might well be nuances that aren't being transmitted here.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Should we be surprised ETH is going after half the current and former Ajax squad ?
i’m just worried it means he’s still in his dutch comfort zone and instead of studying our next opponents or getting to grips with the demands of english football, he’ll be smoking drugs, banging prostitutes and thinking it’s ok for max verstappen to run other drivers off the track.

TommyDocYears

Should we be surprised ETH is going after half the current and former Ajax squad ?
Yes, you would have thought working with a budget at Ajax he yearned for certain players whom they couldn’t afford , he comes to us with money to spend and all he does is look at his ex players .

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, you would have thought working with a budget at Ajax he yearned for certain players whom they couldn’t afford , he comes to us with money to spend and all he does is look at his ex players .
One would expect a certain amount of buying ex players he is already familiar with and trusts etc., but with larger budgets, this would also be balanced with a few players from other clubs and leagues. Look at Pep's transition from Barca to Bayern and Bayern to City. Not much in the way of buying former players, but rather expanding the gene pool to buy the very best available. Ditto with Klopp from Dortmund to Pool.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

BMI would strike me as an odd measure to use in this context.
It's the Mirror so I wouldnt take any of the story seriously. I'm sure monitoring the fitness of the players will be a lot more advanced than checking their BMI.

AndySmith1990

Why would cameras outside the front gate change the mood? It's Manchester United, reporters have turned out with cameras looking for stories for decades

Rojofiam

Yeah that's nonsense
Don't even try with them. Ole haters fueled by football twitter narratives love rewriting history. We were by miles the best under Ole post-SAF but some people will say he was the worst :lol: Don't even try with these people

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Maybe.
Just maybe, the ones that see themselves as athletes will figure being in peak condition is only way to be a representative of Manchester.
If you can’t adhere, better start looking for a club. Are people not tired of treating our players as kids and expect them to perform like grown ups. Grown ups don’t need such rules to keep them in line, they should know the responsibility that comes with job.
This does not deserve a headline.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Damn. Players have their OWN CHEF on Club canteen?

Is it common in other CLubs, or is it just me that feel our players are fecking spoiled brat?

SAFMUTD

I know, how dare Ten Hah demand professionalism from people who's only job is to perform on the pitch and are paid millions a year to do so?

They're just regular humans, we shouldn't demand this type of things at all. Let them skip a day or two if they feel they're not in the mood for training as well. Everybody knows professionalism takes you no where, this isn't about winning it's about our players feeling happy and free.

Kag

Takes his squad out on tour tomorrow and he’s been given a deputy left back and a star player who is refusing to come back after his holiday.

I said that this poor bastard didn’t stand a chance when he was appointed and I’m seeing very little to make me change my mind.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Takes his squad out on tour tomorrow and he’s been given a deputy left back and a star player who is refusing to come back after his holiday.

I said that this poor bastard didn’t stand a chance when he was appointed and I’m seeing very little to make me change my mind.
At least we'll have 5 left backs going on tour.

TommyDocYears

One would expect a certain amount of buying ex players he is already familiar with and trusts etc., but with larger budgets, this would also be balanced with a few players from other clubs and leagues. Look at Pep's transition from Barca to Bayern and Bayern to City. Not much in the way of buying former players, but rather expanding the gene pool to buy the very best available. Ditto with Klopp from Dortmund to Pool.
I agree , he must have wish list of elite players he has dreamed of signing…, needs to cast the net out further..

phelans shorts

That doesn't make much sense: Other United players admit they're sh*t compared to Ronaldo's previous United team that won the league three years in a row.
I read it as they’re not surprised he wants to leave because he’s been a miserable git, and they’ve added in the Ronaldo pr spin about him being angry at the condition of the swimming pool.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So as of now, with Malacia in and Eriksen "agreed", and Ronaldo wanting to leave, I'd say we are looking like this:

Rashford Martial Sancho
Eriksen McTominay Bruno
Shaw Varane Maguire Dalot
De Gea

Hannibal Garnacho Elanga
Fred Garner Van de Beek
Malacia Bailly Lindelof Wan Bissaka
Heaton​

Let's hope he can coach like Pep and reinvigorate Martial and Rashford... Also, I have big hopes for Garnacho, but this year is definitely too soon for him regardless. So we'll need someone in that front 3. Amad/Hannibal/Garnacho should all be getting limited cup minutes at best or just going on loan.

Irwin99

I read it as they’re not surprised he wants to leave because he’s been a miserable git, and they’ve added in the Ronaldo pr spin about him being angry at the condition of the swimming pool.
That probably makes much more sense.

I don't know, i'm certainly not defending Ronaldo but the attitudes/performances from some of the other players were appalling and they shouldn't be absolved by the Ronaldo excuse (even if there's some validity in it and he is a bit of a knob). I hope ten Hag can build a new squad and get rid of the blame/survivor culture we've endured for years.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I know, how dare Ten Hah demand professionalism from people who's only job is to perform on the pitch and are paid millions a year to do
It’s not about professionalism, it’s about what can be enforced. It’s about dealing effectively with human beings who are fallible, regardless of how much money they earn.

SAFMUTD

It’s not about professionalism, it’s about what can be enforced. It’s about dealing effectively with human beings who are fallible, regardless of how much money they earn.
I can assure you that Ten Hag is not the first manager to implement a rule like that.

It's the bare minimum to ask players to keep a diet and stay off alcohol during the season. It shouldn't even be asked, I don't know why you think it's too much.