Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Joseunited

This is why we really need to be patient with ten Hag. Hope fans don’t jump on him after a poor run of results. We need to give him time. I‘m aiming for 6th just to try and curb disappointment. That and some nice football whilst showing he improves players. Hopefully next summer we can back him fully then.
If we don't back him this season what makes you think we'll back him next summer especially if we finish 6th outside CL places?
We'll have to win Europa league.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Be interesting to hear his press conference today. No matter how cool he is, it must still be a shock to his system to see all the attention on every little thing that happens with the club (mostly negative). I hope he deals with it well.

Greck

He deserves nothing less than the boot yet Ten Hag wants him to stay?

And you think playing Elanga as a false 9 is the preferable option?

Are you guys children or scorned lovers? He wants to leave, he's not leaving as the coach wants him to stay thus start playing him instead of Elanga up top.
If you're so bought in on Ten Hag's assessment of wanting him to stay you should have no problem accepting this decision as well. You only accept the manager's opinions when they flatter Ronaldo?

We spent a whole month working on his system while Ronaldo was away. Even if he hadn't been disrespectful he absolutely doesn't deserve to start when he has zero acclimatization to the system.

Greck

:lol::lol: You’ve clearly lost the plot haven’t you? He’s literally said he wants to leave the club and skipped preseason. If you want a new regime to build culture and structure… diva behaviours CANNOT be tolerated. He doesn’t want to be here when ETH is trying to build long term success. He deserves nothing less than the boot. I’d be saying the same thing if it were any of the legends of this club. You are NOT bigger than the club. Feck all those that think so.
I now badly hope we sell him. Fully convinced ETH will get crucified by his fans for simply holding him accountable. Constantly putting managers in terrible situation with his entitlement.

Olecurls99

He deserves nothing less than the boot yet Ten Hag wants him to stay?

And you think playing Elanga as a false 9 is the preferable option?

Are you guys children or scorned lovers? He wants to leave, he's not leaving as the coach wants him to stay thus start playing him instead of Elanga up top.
You did ask the question, What has he done?

They're just filling you in

SAF is the GOAT

I'm just imagining all of the meltdown from our fan base

Erik ten Hag: "That would be a good situation [to have transfer business done before the season], but I am happy with the squad. I am happy with the signings up until now.

We are working altogether. I am happy with the current squad and we need the right players."

Azhar88

If you're so bought in on Ten Hag's assessment of wanting him to stay you should have no problem accepting this decision as well. You only accept the manager's opinions when they flatter Ronaldo?

We spent a whole month working on his system while Ronaldo was away. Even if he hadn't been disrespectful he absolutely doesn't deserve to start when he has zero acclimatization to the system.
Telegraph reporting peace talks between by Ten Hag and CR7 and a possible start for Ronaldo tomorrow.... so the directors are calling the shots, as I feared:

"Cristiano Ronaldo has been handed an olive branch by Erik ten Hag as the Manchester United manager weighs up an emergency recall for his wantaway striker.

Only days after ripping into Ronaldo and others for their “unacceptable” early exit from a friendly and urging the Portugal striker to get fit and prove his worth, Ten Hag had softened his tone on Friday.

Insisting it had been wrong for people to single out Ronaldo for leaving Old Trafford 10 minutes before the end of last Sunday’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano when others had done similar, Ten Hag lauded the 37-year-old’s application in training this week and claimed he was “really happy” to have him at the club.

With Anthony Martial likely to be out for two to three weeks with a hamstring injury, Ten Hag has been handed a big selection dilemma ahead of United’s opening Premier League game against Brighton on Sunday and must decide whether to rush back Ronaldo.

Ronaldo wants to leave Old Trafford this summer and is weeks behind his team-mates in terms of fitness after missing all of the club’s pre-season tour for personal reasons. A 45-minute run-out against Vallecano - when he was also involved in a tense touchline exchange with Ten Hag - was his only pre-season outing.

But Martial’s absence has exposed United’s lack of attacking options and it remains to be seen if Ten Hag turns to Ronaldo to answer his SOS, drafts in youngster Anthony Elanga or opts to play an additional midfielder and use Bruno Fernandes as a false nine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...do-could-given-emergency-recall-erik-ten-hag/

Gurtej

We need a forward, 3 in total. Ronaldo, Martial and our future striker.

We still need a MF even though not FDJ type but someone to keep the numbers up, we lost Matic, Pogba..Who will we play is one of Fred Or Mctominay is injured….. yes we have young kids but hopefully that’s not our answer for this year…

we only replaced mata with Eriksen .

Unless ETH has a magic wand or transfers greatly improve over next few weeks, it will be another tough season sadly!!

PoTMS

Either he's been let down or he's let himself down with the Frenkie saga. All it means is his job has been made a lot harder unnecessarily. From what I've seen of him though, he's more than a capable coach so hopefully he can bridge the gap in quality between our players.

Flexdegea

Telegraph reporting peace talks between by Ten Hag and CR7 and a possible start for Ronaldo tomorrow.... so the directors are calling the shots, as I feared:

"Cristiano Ronaldo has been handed an olive branch by Erik ten Hag as the Manchester United manager weighs up an emergency recall for his wantaway striker.

Only days after ripping into Ronaldo and others for their “unacceptable” early exit from a friendly and urging the Portugal striker to get fit and prove his worth, Ten Hag had softened his tone on Friday.

Insisting it had been wrong for people to single out Ronaldo for leaving Old Trafford 10 minutes before the end of last Sunday’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano when others had done similar, Ten Hag lauded the 37-year-old’s application in training this week and claimed he was “really happy” to have him at the club.

With Anthony Martial likely to be out for two to three weeks with a hamstring injury, Ten Hag has been handed a big selection dilemma ahead of United’s opening Premier League game against Brighton on Sunday and must decide whether to rush back Ronaldo.

Ronaldo wants to leave Old Trafford this summer and is weeks behind his team-mates in terms of fitness after missing all of the club’s pre-season tour for personal reasons. A 45-minute run-out against Vallecano - when he was also involved in a tense touchline exchange with Ten Hag - was his only pre-season outing.

But Martial’s absence has exposed United’s lack of attacking options and it remains to be seen if Ten Hag turns to Ronaldo to answer his SOS, drafts in youngster Anthony Elanga or opts to play an additional midfielder and use Bruno Fernandes as a false nine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...do-could-given-emergency-recall-erik-ten-hag/

Anything wrote about us now is taken as total fact. We are a total free one, I don't even blame them for writing the stories, absolute clickbait at the moment.

They must check the Caf and other forums to see what people are talking about, next thing the Board and directors are calling the shots, he's a glazer stooge........pitiful to be honest

Azhar88

Anything wrote about us now is taken as total fact. We are a total free one, I don't even blame them for writing the stories, absolute clickbait at the moment.

They must check the Caf and other forums to see what people are talking about, next thing the Board and directors are calling the shots, he's a glazer stooge........pitiful to be honest
I'm sorry, but if Ronaldo plays tomorrow I can only conclude the Board and directors (SAF?) are calling the shots. It is really very simple, there must be someone who can play up front, an academy kid, someone from midfield, anyone - one of the ball boys! But if he picks Ronaldo it will indicate he is a weak manager - we all hate it when politicians do u-turns and this would be a massive one, because just a few days ago ETH actually showed some balls and called CR7 out for leaving the pre-season game early.

United need to decide if they are a business or a sporting organisation. For business reasons Ronaldo is the pick, but for sporting reasons, give someone else a chance.

Look at it like this, select Ronaldo tomorrow and he scores, maybe a couple, United win and all seems right - oh and he declares his intention to stay for the season (even though nobody else wants him). He then causes all sorts of trouble and United finish 7th or 8th. Alternatively, play Garnacho or somebody else tomorrow, maybe only draw - but then having shown who is the boss a successful season follows, a cup maybe even top-4.... which would you prefer.

Tomorrow is so important and Ronaldo shouldn't play.

Last edited:

nau05194

Great press conference. He gives the impression he is in complete control regardless of whether he is or not, it's quite reassuring and if he is like that with the media I can only imagine the players must take a great deal of confidence from him being in charge.

Flexdegea

I'm sorry, but if Ronaldo plays tomorrow I can only conclude the Board and directors (SAF?) are calling the shots. It is really very simple, there must be someone who can play up front, an academy kid, someone from midfield, anyone - one of the ball boys! But if he picks Ronaldo it will indicate he is a weak manager - we all hate it when politicians do u-turns and this would be a massive one, because just a few days ago ETH actually showed some balls and called CR7 out for leaving the pre-season game early.

United need to decide if they are a business or a sporting organisation. For business reasons Ronaldo is the pick, but for sporting reasons, give someone else a chance.

Look at it like this, select Ronaldo tomorrow and he scores, maybe a couple, United win and all seems right - oh and he declares his intention to stay for the season (even though nobody else wants him). He then causes all sorts of trouble and United finish 7th or 8th. Alternatively, play Garnacho or somebody else tomorrow, maybe only draw - but then having shown who is the boss a successful season follows, a cup maybe even top-4.... which would you prefer.

Tomorrow is so important and Ronaldo shouldn't play.

I want Ronaldo gone but it's not as extreme as you making it out, because we currently are stuck with him. Either way the manager has to deal with the Ronaldo issue, and if he has to use him he will, unless the club can find a buyer for him.

As Roy Keane discussed, he said it lot more perfectly from a player perspective than I could explain.

Not sure why if Hag is going to use him, it's a board decision and he's compromised :lol:

The only board decision here is they haven't wrote of his contract because of the size of it, or found a buyer for him.

You seem to be arguing he shouldn't start tomorrow but then come in at a later date? What the difference?

That might be how it happens. But if the manager feels he ready then it's his call, not the board or directors.

The issue here is Ronaldo absolutely gave him a terrible hand starting so early into the season, but in my opinion he played it well without letting it spill over massively.

Azhar88

I want Ronaldo gone but it's not as extreme as you making it out, because we currently are stuck with him. Either way the manager has to deal with the Ronaldo issue, and if he has to use him he will, unless the club can find a buyer for him.

As Roy Keane discussed, he said it lot more perfectly from a player perspective than I could explain.

Not sure why if Hag is going to use him, it's a board decision and he's compromised :lol:

The only board decision here is they haven't wrote of his contract because of the size of it, or found a buyer for him.

You seem to be arguing he shouldn't start tomorrow but then come in at a later date? What the difference?

That might be how it happens. But if the manager feels he ready then it's his call, not the board or directors.

The issue here is Ronaldo absolutely gave him a terrible hand starting so early into the season, but in my opinion he played it well without letting it spill over massively.
Well I thought he was dealing with it well, but I reserve judgement until I see the teamsheet tomorrow; the news in the Telegraph today has me concerned. Ronaldo shouldn't be on it, even as a sub.

We should be forcing him out of the club and not playing him is part of that, a big part.

If I wasn't clear, Ronaldo shouldn't play for United again - last season was our worst ever in modern times and I blame him for that and before anybody says anything, he did score goals, but my argument and stats back this up, the team would have scored more without him and his individual contribution.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is why we really need to be patient with ten Hag. Hope fans don’t jump on him after a poor run of results. We need to give him time. I‘m aiming for 6th just to try and curb disappointment. That and some nice football whilst showing he improves players. Hopefully next summer we can back him fully then.
The thing is if we play nice football and show improvement we will automatically finish higher than 6th. Some of our rivals will have poor seasons, it happens every year.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The board has effectively given him a shit hand just like they did with rangnick. To be fair rangnick was an interim who came in mid season in the middle of a shit storm but for the board to do the same with ten hag now is inexcusable.

Any fan calling for ten hags head when shit hits the fan need a good kick up his arse!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Well I thought he was dealing with it well, but I reserve judgement until I see the teamsheet tomorrow; the news in the Telegraph today has me concerned. Ronaldo shouldn't be on it, even as a sub.

We should be forcing him out of the club and not playing him is part of that, a big part.

If I wasn't clear, Ronaldo shouldn't play for United again - last season was our worst ever in modern times and I blame him for that and before anybody says anything, he did score goals, but my argument and stats back this up, the team would have scored more without him and his individual contribution.
But Ten Hag never said what you're claiming. He didn't single out Ronaldo and didn't speak of consequences. Ten Hag has only said that a number of players left during the match, that this is unacceptable, that he told them so, and that that's it for this issue. He hasn't said or implied anywhere that there would be further consequences, or that this will affect team selection on Sunday.

You're just going with some media narrative here, projecting it on Ten Hag, and then shoehorning the board into it.

Will Singh

What makes you think us finishing 6th is a good thing? The way I see it if we don’t get CL next season as a minimum it’s going to be same shit different manager. We back him now so next season we get into the CL and build from there. We can’t bring in a top class manager and not back him, it’s like as soon as someone comes in who know what they are doing we don’t back him but Ole who was a novice got backed. It’s do or die as far as I’m concerned other teams are moving forward at speed while we sleep.

Mr. Ant

What makes you think us finishing 6th is a good thing? The way I see it if we don’t get CL next season as a minimum it’s going to be same shit different manager. We back him now so next season we get into the CL and build from there. We can’t bring in a top class manager and not back him, it’s like as soon as someone comes in who know what they are doing we don’t back him but Ole who was a novice got backed. It’s do or die as far as I’m concerned other teams are moving forward at speed while we sleep.
I know people are getting frustrated but in what way the club didn't back ETH so far?
Every player he wanted is here apart from Frenkie. Our scouting department is nonexistent basically so we are relying on Erik to identify the players for his system.
It would have been great to start the season with a complete squad but thanks to the idiotic approach under Woodward we have to find a way to offload some of the deadwood first.

bosskeano

I know people are getting frustrated but in what way the club didn't back ETH so far?
Every player he wanted is here apart from Frenkie. Our scouting department is nonexistent basically so we are relying on Erik to identify the players for his system.
It would have been great to start the season with a complete squad but thanks to the idiotic approach under Woodward we have to find a way to offload some of the deadwood first.
we should have had some thing in place to sign some fuking attacking players this summer which is going to be a HUGE issue this season....we won't score fuk all for goals and we've seen we couldn't keep a clean sheet in a convent.

Mr. Ant

we should have had some thing in place to sign some fuking attacking players this summer which is going to be a HUGE issue this season....we won't score fuk all for goals and we've seen we couldn't keep a clean sheet in a convent.
That would have been ideal yes but we really don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

It's clear ETH wants players he knows. We wanted Antony but Ajax priced him out of the move.
Perhaps we could have signed him for less just after the last season ended but maybe ETH wanted to see all of our players with his own eyes.

Hopefully we will sign a striker but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't if Ronaldo stays.

Azhar88

But Ten Hag never said what you're claiming. He didn't single out Ronaldo and didn't speak of consequences. Ten Hag has only said that a number of players left during the match, that this is unacceptable, that he told them so, and that that's it for this issue. He hasn't said or implied anywhere that there would be further consequences, or that this will affect team selection on Sunday.

You're just going with some media narrative here, projecting it on Ten Hag, and then shoehorning the board into it.
That is incorrect. I'm saying that Ten Hag has tried to deal with it in a strong manner and he has said he was unhappy with Ronaldo (and others) but specifically Ronaldo because he left a game that he'd been playing in - the others had not because they had played on the Saturday.

I'm saying if Ronaldo is kept away from the game on Sunday - and the club can hide the real reason by saying he isn't fit yet (the real reason being disciplinary related) it will prove that the manager is the boss. If Ronaldo plays either from the start or even from the bench it tells me the sponsors, the accountants, the board, the directors, maybe the new 'consultants' (Robson/Gill/SAF) are getting involved in team affairs and they shouldn't be.

Azhar88

Excellent article in the Guardian today on the new manager and the Ronaldo problem:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-biggest-mistake-resigning-cristiano-ronaldo

"It wouldn’t quite be true to say that everything was rosy at Manchester United a year ago, but they had finished second in the Premier League the previous season and had added Jadon Sancho and Raphäel Varane to the squad. The doubts around Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s management meant a serious title challenge still seemed unlikely but nobody really expected them to fall to sixth, with 16 points fewer than they had gathered the previous season.

The campaign began well enough, with a 5-1 demolition of Leeds and then four points from admittedly less-than-inspiring performances in away games at Southampton and Wolves. This seemed the familiar pattern: Solskjær’s United excelled against teams who came at them and left space for the pace of their forward line to exploit, but found it harder against teams who sat deep.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...er-united-erik-ten-hag-journey-not-revolution
And then, in the final week of the transfer window, came the oddest of distractions: the reports that Cristiano Ronaldo, his relationship with Juventus fractured, was on the verge of joining Manchester City. At which point the United machine sprang into action – Sir Alex Ferguson, Rio Ferdinand, Bruno Fernandes, the generations coming together for one dreadful mistake – to ensure that he signed for United instead. If City had devised an operation to destabilise a club that was just beginning to look like it might conceivably re-emerge as a rival, it could hardly have executed it better.

United played poorly for much their first game against a dismal Newcastle, but Ronaldo scored twice in a 4-1 win and that was enough. Grown men wept: the prodigal son had returned. And so the Solskjær nostalgia project was derailed by an even more intense nostalgia. The frolic in past glories obscured the chaos of the present. Solskjær’s football was about sitting deep and striking on the break, but Ronaldo meant there was no pace in the forward line. The gameplan disintegrated. United won just four of their following 13 games and Solskjær was sacked.

It is impossible, of course, to know how different players’ form and confidence might have been had Ronaldo not been there, although it is safe to say he has not been great for dressing-room harmony. It’s true he has scored goals – 18 in the Premier League, eight more than anybody else in the squad – but United as a whole scored 16 fewer than the previous season. While those goals often got United out of difficult situations, it’s also true that many of those situations were of Ronaldo’s making.

Would Solskjær still be in charge if Ronaldo hadn’t joined? Given United might have been able to build on what had gone before, might have qualified for this season’s Champions League, it’s certainly possible. But instead Ronaldo remains – for now – a totem of a club that, having lost faith in its capacity to plan for the future, knows only how to look back.

The face in front of the sponsors’ board changes. The tone changes. The ideas the team are trying to enact change. But the fundamental problems remain. Manchester United remain under the Glazers, and that means what the manager does is of limited significance beside the great mess of the club’s superstructure, with its multiple advisors and consultants and brains trusts, all of them feeding into a board that gets big decisions wrong over and over and over again.

Of all those errors, bringing Ronaldo back on £26.8m a year might be the most egregious. He undermined Solskjær. Ralf Rangnick, weirdly appointed coach after a decade as a sporting director, was never going to be able to handle him. And so now Erik ten Hag has to handle the fallout.

“Sunday, the King plays,” Ronaldo posted on Instagram before last weekend’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano. But he lasted only 45 minutes and then disappeared long before the final whistle, something Ten Hag described as “unacceptable”. And this is part of the Ronaldo problem: his will to achieve perfection rarely has room for lesser considerations, such as his manager, his teammates or his club.

Cristiano Ronaldo left early during the pre-season friendly against Rayo Vallecano – something his manager said was ‘unacceptable’.
He wants out and is determined to force an exit, but Ronaldo is now 37 and the clubs who can afford him don’t seem to want him. This isn’t quite Madame Tussauds melting down George Best’s waxwork and turning him into Rodney Marsh, but it must be sobering for Ronaldo to realise he is no longer what he once was. And so, off the pitch as on it, his lack of movement is causing problems for the Manchester United manager.

Ronaldo, it goes without saying, is not a fit for Ten Hag’s style of play. A fresh start will be incredibly difficult if he lingers. But equally, if he goes, United’s options at centre-forward are Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial, the former having started just 13 league games last season and the latter being loaned out after just two.

Ten Hag’s start has been promising. He has imposed discipline. Every pre-season there is talk that the squad is fitter than ever, but this time it seems that may be at least partially true. The ban on personal chefs feels largely symbolic, but it refocuses players’ lives on the club.

But the board has not yet given him Frenkie de Jong despite a pursuit so protracted even Dick Dastardly and Muttley might have given up by now. It has not yet delivered a right-back. Talks over signing the Slovenian forward Benjamin Sesko from Red Bull Salzburg, meanwhile, have been described as “complicated” – although that may be another way of saying United are embarrassed at potentially having to fork out £50m for a 19-year-old they could have signed three years ago for £2.5m.

A year ago, the board did deliver Ronaldo, whose celebrity mass is such that even a club as great as United ends up being drawn into his gravitational field. Ten Hag’s job, trying to remould an unbalanced squad patched together through years of pursuing wildly differing strategies, trying to re-inspire disillusioned players while coming to terms with a new coaching environment, would be hard enough anyway.

But now he has to deal with the United board’s biggest mistake and find a way, while remaining diplomatic, of getting Ronaldo out of the club to everybody’s satisfaction, of resolving a crisis that is entirely the board’s creation."

Mr Smith

If we don't back him this season what makes you think we'll back him next summer especially if we finish 6th outside CL places?
We'll have to win Europa league.
What makes you think Ten Hag hasn't been backed? Three of his targets have been signed. All the noise is that Ten Hag is the one digging his heels in on De Jong, rather than moving on to other targets. Which player/what position do you feel Ten Hag hasn't been backed for?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What makes you think Ten Hag hasn't been backed? Three of his targets have been signed. All the noise is that Ten Hag is the one digging his heels in on De Jong, rather than moving on to other targets. Which player/what position do you feel Ten Hag hasn't been backed for?
ETH wanted Nunez, Timber, Dumfries and Antony. He had to settle for the 2nd-3rd name of the list or no one at all. De Jong is the only target he's actually digging his heels in.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
ETH wanted Nunez, Timber, Dumfries and Antony. He had to settle for the 2nd-3rd name of the list or no one at all. De Jong is the only target he's actually digging his heels in.
Timber didn't want to come ,Nunez preferred CL and Antony is way too costly. Dumfries is just a media BS that you just happen to read.

devilish

Timber didn't want to come ,Nunez preferred CL and Antony is way too costly. Dumfries is just a media BS that you just happen to read.
I doubt that Dumfries is media BS. Laird is going on loan and its evident that ETH (and anyone who loves football) has zero faith in AWB which leaves us with just Dalot. Regarding the rest, ETH gave the club his list. They were all realistic targets that the club could have brought in. He ended up having to rely on the 2nd and 3rd name of the list instead. The only 1st name target that he seems unwilling to compromise on is De Jong and by the looks of it he might have to go for the reserve name on that as well. We also nearly lost Malacia to Lyon and we spent ages before we signed Eriksen despite our only competition came from might Brentford

That's all the 'support' the club had given to ETH.

bond19821982

I doubt that Dumfries is media BS. Laird is going on loan and its evident that ETH (and anyone who loves football) has zero faith in AWB which leaves us with just Dalot. Regarding the rest, ETH gave the club his list. They were all realistic targets that the club could have brought in. He ended up having to rely on the 2nd and 3rd name of the list instead. The only 1st name target that he seems unwilling to compromise on is De Jong and by the looks of it he might have to go for the reserve name on that as well.
Antony is the only one you can blame the club on . If we had went in early, we could have got him. Rest all had valid reasons behind it. There is nothing the club can do if the player doesn't want to come.

devilish

Antony is the only one you can blame the club on . If we had went in early, we could have got him. Rest all had valid reasons behind it. There is nothing the club can do if the player doesn't want to come.
Well they could hurry a bit about transfers (both ins and outs). That would have given LVG less time to 'persuade' Timber especially since United would probably not have 5 CBs already in their books (Maguire, Varane, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof). Such move would probably generate the cash we needed for Nunez and Dumfries and we would probably gotten Antony cheaper. We nearly lost Malacia to Lyon and it took us ages to sign Eriksen despite our only competition came from Brentford.

Paddymcc

I was glad when he came in to put an end to the Solskjaer debacle and I had optimism, obviously more than the players

Glad also that he broke a few eggs and now finally were putting that omlette in the bin, just a few more ingredients to go

bucky

I doubt that Dumfries is media BS. Laird is going on loan and its evident that ETH (and anyone who loves football) has zero faith in AWB which leaves us with just Dalot. Regarding the rest, ETH gave the club his list. They were all realistic targets that the club could have brought in. He ended up having to rely on the 2nd and 3rd name of the list instead. The only 1st name target that he seems unwilling to compromise on is De Jong and by the looks of it he might have to go for the reserve name on that as well. We also nearly lost Malacia to Lyon and we spent ages before we signed Eriksen despite our only competition came from might Brentford

That's all the 'support' the club had given to ETH.
The Dumfries rumours are definitely bullshit. He wants his full-backs to be comfortable coming inside and be able to play the inverted full-back role. Something Dumfries would not be able to do, since he's piss-poor in possession. If he doesn't fancy Wan-Bissaka, then he certainly won't fancy Dumfries.

devilish

The Dumfries rumours are definitely bullshit. He wants his full-backs to be comfortable coming inside and be able to play the inverted full-back role. Something Dumfries would not be able to do, since he's piss-poor in possession. If he doesn't fancy Wan-Bissaka, then he certainly won't fancy Dumfries.
I doubt that ETH is happy with our RB situation

wangyu

I can’t see what possibly could have changed during a summer break. The season hasn’t even started and we already have problems with some players vs the coach.
But we have to stick with it, there is only one person we can trust for now and that is Ten Hag. Players have become too powerful with huge fanbases (and haters) but the manager has but one goal and that is to create a good team and that is why we have to trust him. Players and their managers can disrupt and try to make ever growing ripples until the team and fans implode (again). This should not happen anymore if we stick by the manager. We now finally have a young successful and hungry coach, give him time and maybe we will find ourselves in a better position next year and the years to come.

If the De Jong saga told us anything it is that we need to be humble, utd is not that juggernaut anymore, players don’t jump in the air when we show interest, we have to accept that. Respect has to be earned

Reactions: Jippy

bond19821982

Well they could hurry a bit about transfers (both ins and outs). That would have given LVG less time to 'persuade' Timber especially since United would probably not have 5 CBs already in their books (Maguire, Varane, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof). Such move would probably generate the cash we needed for Nunez and Dumfries and we would probably gotten Antony cheaper. We nearly lost Malacia to Lyon and it took us ages to sign Eriksen despite our only competition came from Brentford.
Nunez wanted CL .period. no idea why you would bring Eriksen but he has had medical setbacks in the past. There should be no surprise on why it got delayed.

bond19821982

I doubt that ETH is happy with our RB situation
That's not the point. You said the club didn't give him Dumfries who he asked for. So the point is , Dumfries link is pure BS and right from day1, athletic has been reporting that ETH wants to work with Dalot.

devilish

Nunez wanted CL .period. no idea why you would bring Eriksen but he has had medical setbacks in the past. There should be no surprise on why it got delayed.
Our delays and inability to get rid of our players is costing us. If we were faster on the transfer market then I am pretty confident that we would have gotten Antony cheaper and LVG would have had less time to persuade Timber not to make the move to United. Anyway my main point is that ETH had already gone for the 2nd-3rd choice name of his list. The only name he's not backtracking upon is De Jong. So its time for United to support their manager and at least bring him the only 1st choice name he doesn't want to compromise upon.

Regarding Dumfries as said before I don't think that the link is BS especially since ETH doesn't rate AWB and we're not being linked to another RB at all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That is incorrect. I'm saying that Ten Hag has tried to deal with it in a strong manner and he has said he was unhappy with Ronaldo (and others) but specifically Ronaldo because he left a game that he'd been playing in - the others had not because they had played on the Saturday.

I'm saying if Ronaldo is kept away from the game on Sunday - and the club can hide the real reason by saying he isn't fit yet (the real reason being disciplinary related) it will prove that the manager is the boss. If Ronaldo plays either from the start or even from the bench it tells me the sponsors, the accountants, the board, the directors, maybe the new 'consultants' (Robson/Gill/SAF) are getting involved in team affairs and they shouldn't be.
That's still just not true.

First, Ten Hag has not singled out Ronaldo, or said anything about him specifically. He rather keeps saying that it wasn't just Ronaldo.

And second, as I already said, Ten Hag has not said anything about consequences for tomorrow's game. He said that he told the players involved that their early departure was unacceptable, and that's it.

If you disagree with either point, I'd love to see actual proof of Ten Hag saying what you think he did. As long as there isn't any, your assumption that the consequence here is exclusion from tomorrow's squad is a complete invention by yourself. Also, if that would be the consequence for Ronaldo, it would be for all the players involved; because why would they be treated differently?

And finally, even if Ten Hag did single out Ronaldo and said he won't play tomorrow, then your assumption that only outside influence can have changed Ten Hag's mind is another big leap of logic. Maybe he changed his mind himself when he found out that Martial can't play.

It really seems to me like you're making up an elaborate narrative here that just doesn't exist.

Gavinb33

You can't really blame the club that Ajax didn't want to lose their RB, CB, CM, ST, manager and upcoming forward player all in one window how would they come back from that.

These people think transfers are just easy flash the cash we're United you're not give us your players without considering the club on the end of the deal also has a say.

There has never been a solid link to Dumfries I've never seen a reporter who is credible post anything concrete about a bid or negotiations so where he has pulled this from is anyone's guess.