Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Castia

I’m sorry but he needs help in the market. Rabiot and Arnautović? Worst bit of business this club as ever done and I thought that would take some beating considering we’ve spunked 1B down the drain.

Wow I’m in disbelief.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The most worrying thing is we’re playing the same way as under Ole - slow, shit pressing, 0 movement.
Early signs - pretty awful.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The club is actively throwing yet another manager under the bus with bad recruitment.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I feel sorry/worried for the guy. If we stick him with this squad then I feel like this will look like another version of LVG's 'guy who thinks he's a genius but comes across an idiot' schtick.

And I absolutely do rate him as a coach. He's making a massive rod for his own back right now though. To hear so much booing on his first game is a disaster really. I think last season is still too fresh (plus I bet there's a lot of Ole-in lot that had the pitchforks ready).

FattyFooty

Not a good start but,

Liverpool: Firmino, Salah, Nunes, Jota.

Tottenham: Kane, Son, (Richarlison)

Arsenal: Martinelli, Ødegaard, Jesus.

City: Haaland, Bruyne and a bunch.

United: Rashford, Martial, Fernandes (the version last 1.5 years) Sancho. Ronaldo.

Most of the United players in attack are below the others. We are still hanging on to hopes on Rashford beeing a top player. Same with Martial. The chances are very small.

This is what Ten Hag has to work with. Its gonna be very hard....

spiriticon

I don't care much about the Brighton loss, but if he signs Rabiot and Arnautovic then I demand instant success from him because he is clearly not planning long term.

Looking shakier by the minute, Erik.

Stinkypete

I think that is the problem with Dutch managers in general, they are quite arrogant and look down at that typical English type of football, they see that as beneath them. That's why few of them have had success as managers in the PL.

The Dutch have always had an arrogance going back to the Cruyff era and their total football. It's become a part of the DNA in their football and most coaches in Holland only play one way. ETH and his coaches are not really suited to the style of the PL. He either adapts quickly or his arrogance will cost him his job.
He didn't say it caught him by surprise nor was he being arrogant.

He said they played long ball, that this meant it was no longer about the press, and about winning the second ball which his team failed to do.

Now compare that to Pep and Klopp who ARE arrogant who would most likely say there side could not play the football against Potters dinosaurs.

izec

I don't care much about the Brighton loss, but if he signs Rabiot and Arnautovic then I demand instant success from him because he is clearly not planning long term.

Good luck with this. He is just another manager that will be in survival mode come the end of the season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

You must be a wum surely :lol:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Is this the quickest turn around the caf has done on a manager? :lol:
Is it though? A few posters surely, but overall seems like the Caf is worried about how naive he approached his first EPL game and that he doesn't have enough "material" to work on.
You can hardly praise him for anything up until now, but I think community is fully supportive and excited for Ten Hag. It's the only thing that keeps things "positive" tbh.

saivet

Feel like this is more about recruitment than the manager. He probably has too much responsibility in that sense but I don't think that's a stick to beat him with as top clubs don't rely on the manager for transfer targets. If it's something ETH demanded then it may be his own downfall that the club facilitated.

I just hope we can be patient with him, even if this season is a complete shit show. I'm no fan of Arteta but he didn't stop the rot taking over from Emery and finished 8th (won the FA Cup though) and in his first full season they finished 8th again. They now look set up with a good squad. Good recruitment has helped them and is something the club, not ETH has to resolve.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He didn't say it caught him by surprise nor was he being arrogant.

He said they played long ball, that this meant it was no longer about the press, and about winning the second ball which his team failed to do.

Now compare that to Pep and Klopp who ARE arrogant who would most likely say there side could not play the football against Potters dinosaurs.
He was right really. It was mainly a midfield issue and the fact we had zero threat up front with Eriksen causing no trouble in behind.

This allowed their midfield to get aggressive and not worry about what was behind them.

Both thier goals came from us giving the ball away and having giant gaps in midfield.

RedMilo

I feel sorry for him already. The odds of him succeeding with us are very small.

Arnautovic and Rabiot...

A decade of mismanagement, no budget. Disneyland of football has really come off the tracks.

Them parasites need to sell before its too late, and we're indefinitely tarnished..

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Feel like this is more about recruitment than the manager. He probably has too much responsibility in that sense but I don't think that's a stick to beat him with as top clubs don't rely on the manager for transfer targets. If it's something ETH demanded then it may be his own downfall that the club facilitated.

I just hope we can be patient with him, even if this season is a complete shit show. I'm no fan of Arteta but he didn't stop the rot taking over from Emery and finished 8th (won the FA Cup though) and in his first full season they finished 8th again. They now look set up with a good squad. Good recruitment has helped them and is something the club, not ETH has to resolve.
Even two months it seems the majority of fans were happy to back ten Hag and go after his targets as they didn't trust our scouting department. And I wouldn't get too excited about Arsenal, I don't think they will finish top four. They've made a few decent signings but they're kidding themselves over Arteta. He's not good enough.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I can’t believe that the Caf is already judging ETH after 1, yes 1, league game. WTF???? Most of the posters on here live in cloud cuckoo land.
The club has only just started getting the right structures in place and it will take time to get the right players in place to implement ETH’s ideas, just as Fergie needed time when he was appointed. There are no short term fixes. Meanwhile, players like Arnoutovic or Rabiot would be good short term acquisitions to temporarily fix gaping holes in the squad. Players of the quality of de Jong are extremely difficult to sign and the club needs time to identify and target the right long term fixes to the squad. Meanwhile, the fans need to be patient and give the club the chance to get their house in order after a decade of mismanagement. Remember Fergie’s first 5 seasons..

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Well that depends, doesn't it? If he really hasn't identified a single alternative to FDJ, then he's at blame as well. Not to speak of his apparent tendency of only signing players that he's worked with/have played in the Dutch league - like fecking Arnautovic.
I don't necessarily disagree, but in my mind, that judgement is based on faulty assumptions.

ETH's job shouldn't be to come in and tell the club who they need to sign. His job is to maximise the potential of the squad, and provide input on what types of players he want to strengthen with. Then the system around him is (should be) responsible for providing.

The fact that he's come in and (quite obviously) been made responsible for identifying transfer targets is not a slight on him, but rather an indictment of those around him who aren't doing their job. Now, he's scrambling to get the squad in a workable condition, and it's natural that he'll turn to those he's familiar with. He's not a scout, so you wouldn't (shouldn't) expect him to have extensive knowledge of who's out there, their skillset and character.

But yes, obviously the fact that we're about to sign a 33 year old Marko Arnautovic is nothing short of a disaster, and it speaks to how far we've fallen. We can only hope that this is where we hit rock bottom.

Drizzle

I can’t believe that the Caf is already judging ETH after 1, yes 1, league game. WTF???? Most of the posters on here live in cloud cuckoo land.
The club has only just started getting the right structures in place and it will take time to get the right players in place to implement ETH’s ideas, just as Fergie needed time when he was appointed. There are no short term fixes. Meanwhile, players like Arnoutovic or Rabiot would be good short term acquisitions to temporarily fix gaping holes in the squad. Players of the quality of de Jong are extremely difficult to sign and the club needs time to identify and target the right long term fixes to the squad. Meanwhile, the fans need to be patient and give the club the chance to get their house in order after a decade of mismanagement. Remember Fergie’s first 5 seasons..
Haha, this guy. Satire isn't dead.

CM

Not going to lie if he brings in Rabiot and Arnautovic then that's very questionable
Is it on him though? This club has been dysfunctional in the transfer market for a decade.

My feeling is we're buying these players because the resources aren't available to go out and get some proper ones. Woodward might be gone but nothing has changed, we were slow on progress with even the deals that should've been relatively simple to do. Malacia signed only just before we want on tour, Eriksen (who was a free agent ffs) and Martinez didn't even make the tour.

This has been the worst summer of backing for a new manager since Moyes. He has been let down.

Dante

Average bang
The most worrying thing is we’re playing the same way as under Ole - slow, shit pressing, 0 movement.
Early signs - pretty awful.
That's a bit harsh, I think.

EtH isn't undeserving of criticism, of course. He got out-thought by Potter. But, on the pitch, there were signs of improvement in all the areas you mentioned, imo.

Although United were at fault for individual errors on both the player and management side, there were green shoots of recovery in terms of organisation and effort. It's just unfortunate that we were organised for the wrong opponents in the wrong game.

We need to figure out how to play against long ball teams that can beat our press and who have physical target men that can link up play. Maguire's obviously slow and Martinez is beatable in the air. Varane might need to come in sooner or later.

mctrials23

I can’t believe that the Caf is already judging ETH after 1, yes 1, league game. WTF????
Honestly I'm probably going to stop coming on here because the most depressing thing about being a United fan for me at the moment is reading the utter garbage on here. I'm sure other teams have the same issue but dear lord we have a lot of absolute weapons in our fanbase. Its one fecking game with a manager trying to change our play style completely after years of awful coaching. If the fans turn on EtH before the season is out I think I am done with United.

Classical Mechanic

The parallels with LVG's early days are strong too. Some good stuff in pre-season but then a wretched opening day defeat at home against a side we should be beating by rights.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You have to laugh at people who say it’s a 3 year project. He isn’t getting 3 years - one defeat and it’s an entire fecking meltdown. Lose to Brentford and the Liverpool game becomes a total crisis point. This is the Manchester United toxicity media cycle.

::sonny::

Nothing will happen. This team isn't finishing in the top 4 anyway. Now the season is all about drilling a system for next year.
Brentford away
Liverpool
Saints away
Leicester away
Arsenal
Palace away

All difficult games

You can end the first month with 2 to 6 pts, difficult to manage a situation like that

OpenIntrovert

As expected there is a trademark explosion by the "fans" on yesterday's result. But on proper analysis it is more to do with the formation than the players.

I can understand why ETH continued with the 4-1-2-3 formation as the players are already familiarized with that approach in pre-season and in terms of their role based training. The issue is with using a midfielder who likes to drop too deep as a false 9. A false 9 should be more like Messi where he tends to roam around the middle and front of the attacking half, capable of dribbling through the channels or creating chances for the 2 wide forwards. Eriksen tried to help out the central midfield in his pressing and ended up moving away from his position, resulting in Rashford and Sancho unable to cut in and receive passes. To be fair to ETH, Brighton's formation did not allow Eriksen any space as well. Its basically a mismatch of formation as Brighton was playing a 3-6-1 variant where they easily countered our 4-1-2-3.

In the 2nd half, ETH started to move towards a 3-6-1 variant with Ronaldo staying up, Rashford and Sancho as 2 wingers and a 4-man midfield of Shaw Bruno McTominay Dalot (Shaw and Dalot as wingbacks) and Eriksen becoming a regista in front of Maguire and Martinez which helped to counter Brighton's formation, but we just missed too many chances. If ETH had originally used the formation of a 3-5-2 diamond, it would be a different result altogether. Rashford and Sancho as the front 2, with Bruno acting as the AM, Shaw Eriksen Dalot as the CM and Wingbacks, Fred as the DM and Martinez, Maguire and Varane as the CBs would have turned the result in our favour.

The good thing is that ETH is capable of making tactical changes quickly and is not afraid to withdraw his original plan (e.g. Fred changed for Ronaldo). Its quite promising actually, since this means he will be utilizing a different approach against Brentford based on what he has learnt against Brighton.

stoinz

I have faith in him. I believe we will be pleasantly surprise at the end of season. I also think some of the youths will have a breakout season. My fear is the owners will be even more oppose in investing in the squad if ETH manage to secure top 4 with some youths breaking through.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brentford away
Liverpool
Saints away
Leicester away
Arsenal
Palace away

All difficult games
Were going to struggle big time in that run of games. Like I said I don't see us getting 4th so my only hope is that we back ETH and he manages to build a playing style which readies us for coming season. Nothing else to hang on to this year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We're at home. We have a much more expensively assembled squad. We have a vaunted manager. Brighton have lost some of their best players this summer and haven't made any major signings.
We've been a broken mess of team since last years collapse. Long way to go before we can't take wins for granted.

Suv666

Naa feck that. I'm going to be patient with Ten Hag until at least gets 2-3 windows

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Heheheheh.

I just watched the game yesterday and seeling that gobbleshite on the pitch, I felt betrayed. From the board, the players and I cannot be sure if from ETH as well, because there must be a reason why he chose this lineup and trust these players.

But this naivety towards mentally weak players who represented Jose, Ole, Ralf and now ETH and thinking that there's a fix somewhere hidden in the toolbox which makes them decent ones... come on. Be bold, be bald and sell them. They are weak as a team, not as an individual. They can perform better in national team because they don't have the usual suspects around them.

And now we have a true task to finish ASAP: the mental fragility thing. Well, you cannot drop 'em - that'd be an impact on their confidence. You cannot play them, because each brainfart shatters their confidence. So, the only solution would be selling the most rotten apples first and then you can feel that others will benefit from that slightly. Because there is something hidden and you cannot fix it. ETH, you are not a therapist - no need to save their souls or their careers. Just deal with the team, eliminate the rotten ones (send them even to loan, whatever) and start more from a true clean slate.

There are some players who were decent, but overall yeah - it's crap. The levels aren't there, sorry. Their mentality is shattered only from wearing the shirt because the they cannot handle the pressure. So, it seems they won't start handling the pressure and the only option is to sell. Play the ones who follow the game plan and scrap who don't or who doesn't have the ability.

I truly hope that ETH is still confident of himself and not trying to chop up stuff he is implementing. Some players are there, but currently there are too many wrong players in the team. Even Ancelotti cannot make this team perform.

Siorac

What I don't really get is how the club prepared for this appointment, we were supposed to have a very lengthy recruitment process in place which would have addressed the structure of the club and its shortcomings.

We then brought a manager who clearly has no insight of the transfer market and whose knowledge about players is mostly limited to the players he had managed. It's not necessarily his fault, from what I understand he was not really in charge of transfers at Ajax and has probably never had any significant focus on that area, he's coach first and foremost. Why not get him a DoF or at least someone competent at scouting who could take care of transfers business?

It's so similar to the Summer of 2013 so far where Moyes insisted on getting the players that he knows and refused Thiago because 'he did not see him play', so we got Fellaini instead (after failing to get a struggling Barcelona midfielder too). EtH may be a good coach but he won't do shit with this group, and getting random former Ajax/Eredivisie players will get us absolutely nowhere.
My thoughts exactly. I was really happy when we got Ten Hag and I absolutely believe he's a highly talented head coach who could build a very good team in the right circumstances.

But we aren't even giving him a chance and we're wasting a huge opportunity: it's the first time we've appointed a progressive, up and coming manager but the club seemingly expects him to just wave his magic wand and fix EVERYTHING on his own. That won't work. He can't be expected to build an entire club, not in 2022.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If we lose against Brentford, the game after that is Liverpool which is a certain loss. Could be 3 defeats from 3.

It could get very ugly very quickly!

Unam333

I had a good night sleep, but after waking up I felt irritated.

One positive we lost early is Ten Hag saw with his own eyes that our players are not good enough.
Now let's see if he learned from yesterday's game.