Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

romufc

We're going to panic and pay FDJ's wages for Barca, aren't we? As projected weeks ago this has gone exactly like Woodward's first summer.
Thats not panic to get a player of his quality.

We are actually going to go sign Rabiot... thats the panic.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We're going to panic and pay FDJ's wages for Barca, aren't we? As projected weeks ago this has gone exactly like Woodward's first summer.
That would be a breath of fresh air at this point. Knowing our luck though, we’ll pay the owed wages and he’ll still sign for Chelsea.

Redfan94

No, we’re going to buy Rabiot and everyone’s suspicions that United are being given the runaround by FDJ will be confirmed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nah, this is clearly a sign that FDJ isn't coming and we've slowly worked down the list.

Rabiot is FDJ.

Kill3r7

With these signings coming in he’ll be sacked before June.
If we don’t get FDJ it’s hard to see this team challenging for top4. It is possible there will be January targets/signings but right now it has the makings of a very long season. Then again, Arsenal had a disastrous start to the season last year and was in the chase for the fourth spot.

Redfan94

What’s worrying is that it looks in an ideal world, where all his targets were signed, ETH wants to play with a midfield of FDJ, Bruno & Eriksen. I think he’ll quickly find out that a midfield consisting of those 3 will get absolute walked through in transitions and a back 4 consisting of Dalot, Maguire, Martinez and Shaw will crumble.

The other scenario, is that he does intended to use someone to disrupt the play in midfield, but it’s one of Fred or Mctominay, which is just as grim.

This club has the uncanny ability of being able to dig deeper, just as you think you’ve hit rock bottom.

Castia

He's used to good setup at Ajax and he's obviously been failed in the transfer market.

I wonder if something drastic like him walking out of the job before the season is finished would happen. This summer has been such a farce that I can see it happening.

His list was widely reported as:
Antony
Timber
FdJ
Eriksen
Malacia

He must have had some reassurances from the club about getting those players in. He's going to end up with Rabiot and Arnautovic after 3 months of a summer window, I mean it's amateur hour.

DSG

If he doesn't bring in Varane for Maguire and Malacia for Shaw in the very next game I'm done already with him.

Changed needed are clear and we have their replacements in the squad in Martinez and Malacia. His own signings.

Never thought he could've started this badly today even with the squad we had for today's game.

We can carry a poor attacker if we'd chose Elanga instead of Martial. But we can't carry Maguire, Shaw, Fred and McTominay.
I thought Maguire was fine yesterday. Shaw was covering two attackers on the goal and he rightly went to cover the near post. I don’t see how either of those two were at fault for the goals.

Dalot and McFred are the weak links. On the first goal, Dalot doesn’t close down Troussard which started the move…Fred was vile and Scotty was bad too. On the second goal, Dalot fails to impede Troussard, on the turnover, Fred has poor positioning in midfield, allowing the pass to Gross, they counter and as Dalot jogs back with Fred in position to cover the far post, Scotty points to Gross, reminding Fred, who proceeds to miss the tackle. 2-0. To be fair, Shaw attempted to close down the shot, Bruno got in his way.

we will continue to leak goals with Dalot at RB and McFred in the pivot.

Blood Mage

If we don't show any progression in our play by November you have to fear for him especially with Poch available (let's be honest he was probably the one the club really wanted).

Zen86

I thought Maguire was fine yesterday. Shaw was covering two attackers on the goal and he rightly went to cover the near post. I don’t see how either of those two were at fault for the goals.

Dalot and McFred are the weak links. On the first goal, Dalot doesn’t close down Troussard which started the move…Fred was vile and Scotty was bad too. On the second goal, Dalot fails to impede Troussard, on the turnover, Fred has poor positioning in midfield, allowing the pass to Gross, they counter and as Dalot jogs back with Fred in position to cover the far post, Scotty points to Gross, reminding Fred, who proceeds to miss the tackle. 2-0. To be fair, Shaw attempted to close down the shot, Bruno got in his way.

we will continue to leak goals with Dalot at RB and McFred in the pivot.
Don’t let reality get in the way of a good moan

Lee565

Good news is if ten hag appointment goes completely tits up, conte's contract ends this season at spurs, bad news is we would ignore him for potchettino

Biggins

Good news is if ten hag appointment goes completely tits up, conte's contract ends this season at spurs, bad news is we would ignore him for potchettino
You could hire a hybrid of Guardiola and Klopp and the result would be the same with this board.

Lee565

You could hire a hybrid of Guardiola and Klopp and the result would be the same with this board.
Could it be domino effect of glazers hiring the wrong directors who then hire the wrong coaches who then hire/keep hold of the wrong players?

Not to say ten hag is the wrong coach but his recruitment plan is a bit of a head scratcher and underwhelming so far seeing as we seem to have given him freedom with buying and selling players.

Strootman's Finger

He's used to good setup at Ajax and he's obviously been failed in the transfer market.

I wonder if something drastic like him walking out of the job before the season is finished would happen. This summer has been such a farce that I can see it happening.

His list was widely reported as:
Antony
Timber
FdJ
Eriksen
Malacia

He must have had some reassurances from the club about getting those players in. He's going to end up with Rabiot and Arnautovic after 3 months of a summer window, I mean it's amateur hour.
Add Nunez and Dumfries as well.

Nunez was a top priority target, and it seems like people have already forgotten how we got embarrassed in that situation as well, negiotiated for 3 weeks, only for liverpool to show up and wrap it up in 4 hours.

r1z3mu

Could it be domino effect of glazers hiring the wrong directors who then hire the wrong coaches who then hire/keep hold of the wrong players?

Not to say ten hag is the wrong coach but his recruitment plan is a bit of a head scratcher and underwhelming so far seeing as we seem to have given him freedom with buying and selling players.
I have to agree and not to sound negative but bringing another CB for 55 mil (when we have 5 or 6 in place) instead of midfielders (which we lack) was a little weird.

Strootman's Finger

I have to agree and not to sound negative but bringing another CB (when we have 5 or 6 in place) instead of midfielders (which we lack) was a little weird.
In fairness, as far as EtH thought, the midfielder deal was being worked on with priority.

The_Midfielder

Dalot and McFred are the weak links. On the first goal, Dalot doesn’t close down Troussard which started the move…Fred was vile and Scotty was bad too. On the second goal, Dalot fails to impede Troussard, on the turnover, Fred has poor positioning in midfie
And we need
In fairness, as far as EtH thought, the midfielder deal was being worked on with priority.
ut currently all teams have CB that can play.. Maybe except us..when the midfielders are covered.. The cbs make the play..

m1tch

Well the EtH optimism I had has gone. It can come back but it'll only come back if we start looking better than last season at any point.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s the same story over and over again. We brought in a cb for 55 mil instead of signing a midfielder, mainly a dm who can protect the defence and dictate play. By signing one of them that automatically makes the defence a little better. When you’ve got Fred and mctominay in front of you then what chance does the defence have? It’s all a shambles. This needs sorting in the next week or so.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I thought we couldn't and that was the problem?

If we could I have a feeling we'd already have him by now.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If we sign Rabiot and the racist, then I’m done with him.
Bit over the top, no? The issue is that the club is inexplicably expecting ETH to be our DOF even though it's not his strength. Get someone competent to take over transfers and let ETH stick to coaching.

croadyman

Add Nunez and Dumfries as well.

Nunez was a top priority target, and it seems like people have already forgotten how we got embarrassed in that situation as well, negiotiated for 3 weeks, only for liverpool to show up and wrap it up in 4 hours.
Yeah because they thought he was worth it

Crashoutcassius

Eh..not sure. The part about it being a process is the same bullshit I heard from all our managers since LVG came here. Everyone of them starts in the first few games saying "we're in a process" bollocks. Few more losses later and the excuses start to become more often. I won't hold my breath. He's starting in the same way.
You are right yes, I also thought of LVG when he said that. It is early doors. I find him quite convincing when he speaks .. again I definitely thought the same of LVG

youmeletsfly

I don't get the panic and the knee jerk reactions towards the guy.
We have almost the same team as last year with most of the players never playing in a team with a particular style.

The only ones with the necessary brains are Eriksen, Ronaldo and Varane. If all goes well, you add Martinez to that list.

Other than that, this is a team with players who basically popped up here and there and somehow are playing for Man United, like Rashford, Martial, MCT, Fred, Shaw, etc.

I know men turn into outright idiots when they support a football club but you need to be a really special one to have any sort of expectation out of this lot.

m1tch

Poor bastard

Ajax are a top club, one of the best run clubs in Europe. He must be in shock at the state of this club.
Well we can hold the sympathy if it's EtH insisting on signing Arnautovic. If that's true then we're not far away from 'McLaren till the end of the season' threads.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I don't get the panic and the knee jerk reactions towards the guy.
We have almost the same team as last year with most of the players never playing in a team with a particular style.

The only ones with the necessary brains are Eriksen, Ronaldo and Varane. If all goes well, you add Martinez to that list.

Other than that, this is a team with players who basically popped up here and there and somehow are playing for Man United, like Rashford, Martial, MCT, Fred, Shaw, etc.

I know men turn into outright idiots when they support a football club but you need to be a really special one to have any sort of expectation out of this lot.
90%+ of the people here are saying the exact same thing. ETH is being let down by the club hierarchy and being forced to rely on the same failures who cost his predecessors their jobs.

Aside from a few one-off reactions, I'm not really seeing this "panic" and "knee-jerking" you're referring to.

Greck

Isn’t this the best case scenario right now?
That was the entire point of being proactive months ago. So a ridiculous negotiation situation wouldn't become our season's best case scenario. Transfers aren't always easy but we have one of the easiest midfields to upgrade.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Yep. Already talking about replacing the manager :lol:
Nobody is saying that aside from maybe 1 or 2 idiots. You are making shit up.

What some people are saying is that if the club continues to be run shambolically and let him down in the transfer market, he'll eventually suffer the same fate as his predecessors.