Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Camilo

If that happens I will officially give up and take a break from football this season.
It's about time though. This clown has been waltzing around Manchester for WEEKS now, and he's achieved feck all. We should act now to salvage the season...but we all know we'll be stuck with him until next year.

I love this. I just find it delicious.

Real Name

It's about time though. This clown has been waltzing around Manchester for WEEKS now, and he's achieved feck all. We should act now to salvage the season...but we all know we'll be stuck with him until next year.

So you're actually agreeing with Keys or I got it wrong?

Flexdegea

Can't be a serious post, I mean it just can't be

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If that happens I will officially give up and take a break from football this season.

I wouldn’t worry. If you read the article the “tip” is from Richard Keys…

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The coaching team were embarrassed by statistics that showed United’s players ran a total distance of 95.6km in the match, compared to Brentford’s 109.4km. As such, Ten Hag’s staff set up a session — solely a running session — that required each player, even those who did not start on Saturday, to run near enough the difference of 13.8km between the two teams’ combined distances during this additional training session.
That particular story repeated in The Athletic.

buchansleftleg

That particular story repeated in The Athletic.
I think that's a genius move from Erik - actions have consequences and if you put in a dogshit performance you get punished. For too long there has been no consequences to bad performances in the club at both individual and team level. DDG should be dropped for the next game. as should Maguire, Shaw and Rashford at the very least.

If there's not an immediate response and improvement in training then they drop down into U23 squad. We let players just drop down a level whenever they come here. Excellent players have become occasionally good. Good players have become average and average ones have dropped into being bad players.

There has been a lack of discipline throughout the club. You will get a negative response and we are already seeing the leaks and briefings against the manager from some players and club officials. I'm glad we are - He must be hitting home. The fans should ignore the media (who have their own axe to grind) and just back the manager over the players and the current club infrastructure.

largelyworried

I think that's a genius move from Erik - actions have consequences and if you put in a dogshit performance you get punished. For too long there has been no consequences to bad performances in the club at both individual and team level. DDG should be dropped for the next game. as should Maguire, Shaw and Rashford at the very least.

If there's not an immediate response and improvement in training then they drop down into U23 squad. We let players just drop down a level whenever they come here. Excellent players have become occasionally good. Good players have become average and average ones have dropped into being bad players.

There has been a lack of discipline throughout the club. You will get a negative response and we are already seeing the leaks and briefings against the manager from some players and club officials. I'm glad we are - He must be hitting home. The fans should ignore the media (who have their own axe to grind) and just back the manager over the players and the current club infrastructure.
Yeah, agreed, there's been a chronic lack of discipline at the club, basically since Jose started to lose control of the dressing room (a situation that he handled terribly by the way). Ole preferred to be supportive rather than challenging, which somewhat worked for a while, but resulted in a culture where players seemed to choose when they wanted to turn it on and rarely saw consequences for poor performances.

Obviously ETH needs to balance showing the players respect with dishing out discipline, but its the latter we need more of first.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its not his fault that we are playing Eriksen, a player bought into play #10 in defensive midfield while that moron, Murtough is racking up airlines miles doing feck all to remedy a position that has been problematic for three managers now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He shouldn't go anywhere before Murtough and Fletcher. ETH wasn't at the club last season and didn't have a first hand account of how poor the team was. The point of having football directors was supposed to be continuity so the process doesn't start all over when we hire a new man. Those two witnessed all that, were warned by Rangnick, fans and everyone's grandma and still came into the season with more of the same. They didn't even have any ideas on how to refresh the squad in the transfer window. Just deferred everything to ETH.
I would like to create a different theory on that. Rangnick made public that he was astonished at the lack of information the scouting department had (named Nkunku as example). For sure ETH knows about this story and I guess this leads to him not trusting the scouts, probably he experienced more similar situations when he started working for United.

So we see a sh*t scouting department that has to be ignored and a manager who can't have the time to do proper scouting, but prefers to work with players he already knows.

It's a no win scenario for the club and ETH. Yes, in theory the club should have maybe forced the Pau Torres transfer, but having such an inept scouting department makes it difficult to make any decision based on their suggestions.

Greck

I would like to create a different theory on that. Rangnick made public that he was astonished at the lack of information the scouting department had (named Nkunku as example). For sure ETH knows about this story and I guess this leads to him not trusting the scouts, probably he experienced more similar situations when he started working for United.

So we see a sh*t scouting department that has to be ignored and a manager who can't have the time to do proper scouting, but prefers to work with players he already knows.

It's a no win scenario for the club and ETH. Yes, in theory the club should have maybe forced the Pau Torres transfer, but having such an inept scouting department makes it difficult to make any decision based on their suggestions.
The theory doesn't work if it's attempting to explain a football department having no scouting input for an entire summer. Assuming it's even true, a scouting department not being elite doesn't make it okay to purge and replace with nothing over the busiest time of the year. The DoF also isn't supposed to be a total lame duck if he goes a couple weeks without it. There's supposed to be residual knowledge from working the role over time. So best case scenario he (murtough and/or the club) knew he didn't have any knowledge to work with and still purged the recruitment staff. That's planned incompetence.

Would also suggest he really knew less than the people he was firing for not being good enough. The only person I'm willing to accept the theory for is ETH since he had no control over the departures. Especially since it isn't his job to know better.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The theory doesn't work if it's attempting to explain a football department having no scouting input for an entire summer. Assuming it's even true, a scouting department not being elite doesn't make it okay to purge and replace with nothing over the busiest time of the year. The DoF also isn't supposed to be a total lame duck if he goes a couple weeks without it. There's supposed to be residual knowledge from working the role over time. So best case scenario he (murtough and/or the club) knew he didn't have any knowledge to work with and still purged the recruitment staff. That's planned incompetence.

Would also suggest he really knew less than the people he was firing for not being good enough. The only person I'm willing to accept the theory for is ETH since he had no control over the departures. Especially since it isn't his job to know better.
I didn't say the scouting didn't give any input, but that it wasn't trusted and overruled by ETH. I would even say it's the sensible approach once you are in that situation, but it's kind of a disaster to reach that point.

And I agree that it needs a certain level of incompetence to reach that point, but I guess no one is arguing that the current board/DoF oozes competence?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Its not his fault that we are playing Eriksen, a player bought into play #10 in defensive midfield while that moron, Murtough is racking up airlines miles doing feck all to remedy a position that has been problematic for three managers now.
It mostly is his fault though. He's chosen to play Eriksen there for one and he's chosen to pursue a super complicated deal for De Jong at the expense of using funds elsewhere earlier in the window.

Maureen-yo

It mostly is his fault though. He's chosen to play Eriksen there for one and he's chosen to pursue a super complicated deal for De Jong at the expense of using funds elsewhere earlier in the window.
Because FDJ fits the style of play he wants the club to adopt. I would rather a long drawn out transfer (as long as it happens) over using funds to buy players we don’t really want or aren’t suited.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its not like defensive midfield is a problem that started under him.

Leftback99

Because FDJ fits the style of play he wants the club to adopt. I would rather a long drawn out transfer (as long as it happens) over using funds to buy players we don’t really want or aren’t suited.
Well yes, that's fine if it ends up going through albeit we've paid a price in earlier matches. If not it's been a big gamble which leaves us in a mess.

Smores

Are those the two of options then, FDJ and everyone else is unsuitable?

If he doesn't want to come what do we do, wait until he does want to come no matter how long it takes?

JuriM

It's not his fault for god's sake. The manager identified his vision of players who he sees to fit into his playing style and tactics, the club gave him a green light for the targets to obtain - Frenkie, Malacia, Eriksen, and Martinez. The club has failed to live up to their promise to deliver Frenkie as they first said he was obtainable - not like they dropped out of Antony as Ajax kept rising his price, we haven't dropped out of Frenkie, so the club sees him be obtainable.

Leftback99

Its not like defensive midfield is a problem that started under him.
No but he's clearly choosing the targets after presumably doing his homework before he came and he's chosen to chase De Jong. He could have easily got a DM instead of Martinez.

redsunited

Before the summer window of 2021, it was clear that we should get 2 new midfielders to replace Mcfred. Instead we got Sancho, Cavani etc. Hence it is Management and partly OGS fault.

Poor CMs brings down everything else, GK, Defence, Strikers etc. No manager, either Ralf or ETH should be analysed for the bad performances till the 2 CMs are replaced with good players. Also RW looks player less after Greenwood removal. If someone has to be sacked, it is Murtough, Fletcher & co for incompetence.

captaincantona

Don’t get the ten hag eventually having to leave stance….it’s the fuking players…Ole was let down by the players even though he tried the best buddy approach…RR was let down by the players because he called it like it was…ETH has said clear as day, the players are throwing my plan in the bin! They are not running, they don’t want it bad enough, and they are making poor choices.

RR said we needed to gut the first team over 3 windows…bring in young hungry players that would love the opportunity to run their balls off for the shirt and put them on better contracts…phase out the dross. The only thing ETH is guilty of is not following RRs advice and keeping to the plan. We should have had 6 transfers lined up for the start of preseason with the sole aim of staying in the top 6…next window, get rid of more or the rubbish and aim a bit higher with new transfers…slow and steady… that way, at least we would be giving teams a decent game and not being embarrassed.

I am in total agreement. On MOTD2 last night they were going poor players having to run, feck them. They are well paid superstars who have become much too comfortable at old Trafford. When Fergie managed St Mirren he once made players recite nursery rhymes for behaving childishly. You would never get away with that nowadays but if ETH is going to lose the rag and hammer the players I am all for it. And he needs to drop at least 3 if not 5 for Liverpool. Actions have consequences, in both our games this season we have started 9 players who let us down last year, why are we surprised they are letting us down this year.

redsunited

Are those the two of options then, FDJ and everyone else is unsuitable?

If he doesn't want to come what do we do, wait until he does want to come no matter how long it takes?
Yes, if the issue is wage dispute with barca and no if he prefers another club. If we had got Fabregas when he moved eventually, United would have had better seasons. Top teams pursue to the end when they identify top players, they wait and get it done, they dont change targets every transfer window.

It is no excuse for not buying another midfielder in addition to FDJ to replace McFred.

Last edited:

redsunited

For too long there has been no consequences to bad performances in the club at both individual and team level. DDG should be dropped for the next game. as should Maguire, Shaw and Rashford at the very least.
During SAF time, poorly performing players dont feature in next games and the reason given was injury. I always suspected, it as a cover up.

::sonny::

Giving game time to de gea and maguire will cost him the job in few weeks, because you can have a long term project but with zero points you can’t go anywhere

Not making decisions on de gea, maguire and ronaldo it’s a decision, the easier one.

Last edited:

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
The problem are the players, even if we sack ETH, hire Poch/Klopp/Pep or bring Fergie back, these players will not change. Sack the players first and give the manager what he wants and after that judge the manager.
The major turnover needed is further complicated by the fact we're as bad at selling players as we are at buying them. RR talked of the 3 transfer windows needed to basically bring in a new team but how many of the current lot would still be here clogging up the process? Most of them I'd imagine. Skewed Glazernomics means they'd rather lose money having a highly paid professional sit in the stands for months on end rather than accept a smaller transfer fee which would actually probably see a smaller overall loss.

They don't want to be seen to be an easy touch for sales or now pay the 'United tax' for purchases. Well tough. They're going to have to do both for at least a couple of seasons to get us out of the mess they've created. They won't though so we'll plod on quickly declining until something happens on Wall Street that'll see them need to sell. Happy days are nowhere being near again.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That would be a dream-come-true for most of the players: Earning fat salary with practically no boss and responsibility.
They earn a fat salary now with a boss and it’s doing no good… I honestly think they need to change the wage structure in football. Should be paid based on performances, I guarantee the performance levels in everyone will start to rise. They’d all play for the lives if that was the case because it’s all about money. They play awful week in week out and still come out with over 100k a week. Why should they be bothered if they lose a game? They still get to go home to there luxury lifestyle. It’s us fans that suffer by paying a lot of money what we earn by working hard to watch them play and not turn up.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why don't we just forget about having a captain? None of them deserve it anyway. Whoever does well in training and shows a modicum of professionalism can be the captain for the next match. Feck it.

Need the CEO to take charge and lay down the law. These players just want to hang around in mediocrity. No doubt they want DDG to be captain. The guy who can't stop throwing goals into his own net :rolleyes:

Depressing stuff.

Jazz

Jesus fecking Christ. Is there any way we can terminate the contracts of every single one of these babies and start again from scratch?
My thinking too.

The club is going to be destroyed if they don't get a hold of this shit. Just play the youths and forget about these lot.

Jazz

The club needs to help Erik get this under control. TODAY.

These players are rotten to the core. We have to get rid of the main troublemakers. We just have to. They're obviously not bothered about putting in proper performances, so bin them somehow.

Jacko21

I like Crafton. And I like the Athletic.

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.

Jazz

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.
They need to leave the manager alone. Those lazy feckers deserved worse.

jrdonald

Agreed. I’d be more interested to find out who told the media outlets about the details of what they were made to do than second guess the logic behind the session.

ArjenIsM3

Can't read it since it's behind a paywall but I assume these "experts" have said it isn't the right call for the players' recovery? Because that's about as obvious as it gets and Ten Hang obviously knows this. This isn't about that. It's about not tolerating half arsed performances and punishing the players accordingly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response.
From a sports science POV I'm very sure it's the wrong thing to do and I'd have been surprised if any of those sports scientists or coaches said differently. And it doesn't even make much sense to make them run the difference between the two teams as you would typically expect the team with the most possession to run less anyway.

But as Crafton says in his subsequent tweet, it's about accountability and the culture he's trying to instil. It's not like this is an actual attempt to improve the team's fitness, it's effectively punishment for a lack of application.