Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

little.triangles

Let's not make such broad sweeping statements about ETH when he has only been in charge of like 8 matches. Besides what does it even mean? Maybe the cliche of judging the player based on how he looks at training comes into play. Or maybe the player is playing according to instruction but as fans, we think he should be doing something different?

McT is a perfect example. He gets slagged off by everyone for the last 5 years now and yet most managers have played him. (177 appearances in the last 5 years.)

Was he chosen because he was every manager's pet student and not on merit? Or has he been selected based on
''merit''?
Most managers might have played him, but when has he ever played the way he is playing now?

Also, it is not only a matter of 8 games. EtH has made some big calls that the previous managers would have ducked. Dropping Maguire for one. Dropping Ronaldo. Not immediately including a superstar like Casemiro in the team. Ole in particular would have put him straight into the team.

bosskeano

Apart from the thirty year old midfielder that cost around sixty million!
that move was necessary because we needed a player of quality in our CM and this guy has that quality plus the ability to mentor Fred and Scott

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He needs another transfer window to turn it around completely. Getting rid of deadwood is equally as important.

Irwin99

These season disruptions aren't helping him at all but so far he's done pretty well. It really sucks that there'll be so many momentum breaks this season and who knows what effect it will have on everybody in the league.

On the brighter side he has a few more weeks to get Ronaldo and Martial up to speed in terms of fitness and Rashford and Sancho won't be playing with the England squad.

ggg333

These season disruptions aren't helping him at all but so far he's done pretty well. It really sucks that there'll be so many momentum breaks this season and who knows what effect it will have on everybody in the league.

On the brighter side he has a few more weeks to get Ronaldo and Martial up to speed in terms of fitness and Rashford and Sancho won't be playing with the England squad.
As much as it hurts to say, we should just be using Ronaldo against the teams that sits back and he has his use case. But against top 6 don't think we should even consider that. Martial, Rashford on the other hand is good choice. Not saying you are wrong or anything just what I think.

mu4c_20le

don't care if he's a year older or 10 years younger....he needs some bloody help
Think it's the other way around. McFred had some good games in the league, unlike casemiro, who is the new boy in town.

Mctominay will show him the way.

Greck

As much as it hurts to say, we should just be using Ronaldo against the teams that sits back and he has his use case. But against top 6 don't think we should even consider that. Martial, Rashford on the other hand is good choice. Not saying you are wrong or anything just what I think.
Ronaldo isn't necessarily more suited to teams that sit back. His link up, hold up and general play with his back to goal also regresses without space. Unless the plan is to go full dinosaur and pump crosses to the far post for 90 minutes. He's a sub at this point.

bosskeano

Think it's the other way around. McFred had some good games in the league, unlike casemiro, who is the new boy in town.

Mctominay will show him the way.
McT is going to show Casemiro the way??? are you smoking something?

joso157

Also worth mentioning he’s the first manager we’ve had who actually knows what his best 11 is, and pretty quickly too!

Irwin99

Agree with that. Ronaldo as an impact sub against Arsenal clearly worked, and I still think EtH knows that a fully fit and in-form Ronaldo is still our most lethal finisher.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So happy we finally have a real manager. Big decisions? Yep. Playing best players? Yep. Making good signings? Yep.

Another summer like this one (can't imagine we'll spend as much) and we should be back where we belong - a 'regular' top 4 team that all goes well can challenge.

city-puma

Antony kept that move alive by showing a strong desire to get to the ball first. And that's something quite a few of our players have lacked for several years.
This one is really worth to watching in details, the positional play. We originally overloaded the left side, see Dalot’s position!
A few moves of ball and the position switchs of the players, their defense shape was both stretched and compressed, and their RM was so confused and decided to stay wide and watch what’s going to happen.:lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This one is really worth to watching in details, the positional play. We originally overloaded the left side, see Dalot’s position!
A few moves of ball and the position switchs of the players, their defense shape was both stretched and compressed, and their RM was so confused and decided to stay wide and watch what’s going to happen.:lol:
I call it the overload/underload method where one side is overloaded which opens up possibilities on the underloaded side. And the 3rd man runs are also hard to track in more central positions as demonstrated in the clip.

But it all depends on how quickly the team is capable of moving the ball around and having the off the ball movement to take advantage of the space that will appear after manoeuvring the opponent's defensive lines/structure.

city-puma

I call it the overload/underload method where one side is overloaded which opens up possibilities on the underloaded side. And the 3rd man runs are also hard to track in more central positions as demonstrated in the clip.

But it all depends on how quickly the team is capable of moving the ball around and having the off the ball movement to take advantage of the space that will appear after manoeuvring the opponent's defensive lines/structure.
Yes, that approach to create a free, extra, 3rd player to have a ball-carry run forward freely (Eriksen in this case). FDJ is especially good to be that person who can often create the situation by himself.

NoPace

I'm a big fan but honestly he should have started Elanga as our #9 last match or at least for the second half. With both Rashford and Martial out we'd better try him there to see if it works in order to prepare for the City game.

Ronaldo offered absolutely nothing and starting him against City would simply be suicidal anyway.
I'm guessing that as Sancho has now played a bit as a 9 at the end of games that he might get the assignment. Presumably Elanga on the left where he can defend and hopefully break into the space Walker leaves when he comes inside.

Sylar

If martial and rashford aren't fit for the city game, would be Interesting to see if we go for elanga, Sancho and Anthony as a three, or a two of Anthony and Sancho and then a four of Bruno, Erikson, MCT and casemiro
I'll be very surprised if Ronaldo plays city away. Think having elanga or casemiro instead would suit us better

But certainly interested to see what Eth does for that game

He needs another transfer window to turn it around completely. Getting rid of deadwood is equally as important.
I think that will be the summer window
January could possibly see a striker come in if available but don't see much more

Summer think we get a RB, gk and striker.
Can also see us making a decision and getting rid of Baily permanent, and then Jones and one of Maguire and lindelof going. Could see us getting another CB too then

wolvored

Let's not make such broad sweeping statements about ETH when he has only been in charge of like 8 matches. Besides what does it even mean? Maybe the cliche of judging the player based on how he looks at training comes into play. Or maybe the player is playing according to instruction but as fans, we think he should be doing something different?

McT is a perfect example. He gets slagged off by everyone for the last 5 years now and yet most managers have played him. (177 appearances in the last 5 years.)

Was he chosen because he was every manager's pet student and not on merit? Or has he been selected based on
''merit''?
Think prior to this season a dearth of good midfielders meant mcfred were guaranteed whether good occasionally or bad most of the time. Now we have competition mctom has had to up his game and has been rewarded for it, where fred is still shit and hardly gets picked.

Strelok

I'm guessing that as Sancho has now played a bit as a 9 at the end of games that he might get the assignment. Presumably Elanga on the left where he can defend and hopefully break into the space Walker leaves when he comes inside.
Yeah that's possible too. But imo if Elanga has to run up and down to defend the left flank he won't have any energy left to break away when the chance comes. Anyway let's hope Rashford or Martial would be fit by then.

NoPace

Yeah that's possible too. But imo if Elanga has to run up and down to defend the left flank he won't have any energy left to break away when the chance comes. Anyway let's hope Rashford or Martial would be fit by then.
For sure. But if not my guess is Elanga on the left for an hour and then Cristiano down the middle with Sancho moving left or him coming off too and Bruno out left and whichever of McTominay or Casemiro doesn't start coming in, depending on the score and how the game is going.

Strelok

For sure. But if not my guess is Elanga on the left for an hour and then Cristiano down the middle with Sancho moving left or him coming off too and Bruno out left and whichever of McTominay or Casemiro doesn't start coming in, depending on the score and how the game is going.
Agree very possible scenario.

Glorio

Spending his free time watching the U21s I see. Can imagine how fired up they'll be. I hope he finds some gems - whether within our ranks or from other teams

TsuWave

How long do you guys think he’s going to stay here for? Or rather, want to stay here for?

Baxquux

How long do you guys think he’s going to stay here for? Or rather, want to stay here for?
If he's allowed to jettison players (including Ron7, dependent on how things play out with form over the next couple of months and the post WC NY period), has a vaguely functional scouting system brought in, which between the player sales and recommendations should allow him to bring in better-quality mid-price deals and the occasional 'find', then I'd say he sticks at it 3 years and will be allowed to.

There's a strong chance that in the absence of new ownership we won't do more than 4th and maybe 3 -4 cup wins over that period, but it'll be enough for them to keep him, and the team will be more consistent, the style likewise (some looser and riskier, slightly more power-based analogue to the style City play) and CL a firmer guarantee for prospective signings. I think the barrier to regaining relative parity with City will remain, even with Pep probably gone and 50/50 chance Haaland is pushing for his next move at that point, which might see ETH move onto Bayern Munich or Madrid when they sack their post-Ancelotti manager.

Reactions: JPRouve

santeria13

Sublemon
Ronaldo isn't necessarily more suited to teams that sit back. His link up, hold up and general play with his back to goal also regresses without space. Unless the plan is to go full dinosaur and pump crosses to the far post for 90 minutes. He's a sub at this point.
Bring back Moyes. I've never forgotten that one game we had against, was it Fulham? I think we broke some kind of record for number of unsuccessful crosses attempted in a PL game.

Edit: I found an article on the game I mentioned

https://www.squawka.com/en/fulham-team-man-united-81-crosses/

Last edited:

croadyman

If he's allowed to jettison players (including Ron7, dependent on how things play out with form over the next couple of months and the post WC NY period), has a vaguely functional scouting system brought in, which between the player sales and recommendations should allow him to bring in better-quality mid-price deals and the occasional 'find', then I'd say he sticks at it 3 years and will be allowed to.

There's a strong chance that in the absence of new ownership we won't do more than 4th and maybe 3 -4 cup wins over that period, but it'll be enough for them to keep him, and the team will be more consistent, the style likewise (some looser and riskier, slightly more power-based analogue to the style City play) and CL a firmer guarantee for prospective signings. I think the barrier to regaining relative parity with City will remain, even with Pep probably gone and 50/50 chance Haaland is pushing for his next move at that point, which might see ETH move onto Bayern Munich or Madrid when they sack their post-Ancelotti manager.
Nagelsmann might fancy coming here then

Yakuza_devils

I think we have decent chance against City. They like to press high and play with high defensive line. It will play into our hands of quick transition to start counter attack. We are very good in this tactic.

Our problems are more on lack of creativity and quick attacking play in controlled possession football when the team sit deep to defend.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
If we are to believe the reports, Erik is going for a striker, midfielder (hopefully Frankie) and a right back in the Jan window.
Hopefully Ronaldo will leave along with others he has no plans for.

City, Spurs and Chelsea are the only ones who can take points away from us.
If we get to the January window by being about 3 off the top, I fancy us for the title.

Resonance

If we are to believe the reports, Erik is going for a striker, midfielder (hopefully Frankie) and a right back in the Jan window.

If we get to the January window by being about 3 off the top, I fancy us for the title.
Whilst I consider myself an optimist, this is too much for even me, your username is very apt!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Think Ronaldo, Fred, DVB and AWB will be sold if suitors can be found personally.

I see Tielemans joining for a small fee since his contract expires in the summer, I dont see FDJ yet, but I can see a striker. The RB option I have no idea.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Think Ronaldo, Fred, DVB and AWB will be sold if suitors can be found personally.

I see Tielemans joining for a small fee since his contract expires in the summer, I dont see FDJ yet, but I can see a striker. The RB option I have no idea.
Is not Donny coming back from injury?
Ronaldo and AWB for sure. Not sure about Fred.
The problem we have is there is not much depth below the expected starting 11. Casemiro looks a dud. Ok. He may need to improve his fitness and adjust to the pace of how EtH wants to play.
I understand if some think it is being too optimistic to think of the title.
City are obviously the favourites. But they do not look invulnerable. The big plus they have is Haaland of course.
Arsenal wont last.
Liverpool look a spent team.
Chelsea are on a rebuild.
Spurs look the part.

Erik is spending this break looking at all facets of the club. Not just the next match.

Baxquux

Nagelsmann might fancy coming here then
Yeah, BM would obviously be conditional upon Nagelsmann leaving. Considering the ongoing minor issues around Bayern's performance and the expectation (at virtually PSG levels) that they'll essentially win the league by default for the foreseeable future, all of which means JN's at best 'on par', its quite plausible that three years down the line he's both still attractive to title-challenging clubs in other leagues And Bayern are willing to essentially allow a manager swap to freshen things up, try and win the CL again etc. Those scenarios rarely pan out, of course, but it's non-zero probability.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Is not Donny coming back from injury?
Ronaldo and AWB for sure. Not sure about Fred.
The problem we have is there is not much depth below the expected starting 11. Casemiro looks a dud. Ok. He may need to improve his fitness and adjust to the pace of how EtH wants to play.
I understand if some think it is being too optimistic to think of the title.
City are obviously the favourites. But they do not look invulnerable. The big plus they have is Haaland of course.
Arsenal wont last.
Liverpool look a spent team.
Chelsea are on a rebuild.
Spurs look the part.

Erik is spending this break looking at all facets of the club. Not just the next match.
I think Fred is going to be sold, he doesn't play the way ETH wants. Fred isn't an attacking midfielder and he's poor defensively. He can't play passes through the lines so in respect to people like Casemiro and now Eriksen fighting for similar positions, Fred won't last IMO.

Casemiro is world class, he just needs a small adjustment period I have zero doubts about him.

Arsenal are inexperienced I think they'll bottle it by January, Liverpool depends on injuries but they lack depth. Chelsea I think will take a little time getting used to Potter and it's a new squad that needs to gel. And Spurs yes have had time under Conte last year they're the dark horses this year for second I think, City will walk it this year.

David Bartley

I'm almost sure that LVG used to do it. I don't know about the others.
From M.E.N:

"In his analysis of the United squad, Ten Hag noted a shortage of left-footed players and United bought left-back Tyrell Malacia, left centre-back Lisandro Martinez and left-footed winger Antony in the summer transfer window."

Who said management was difficult?