Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He should talk to Ronaldo, apparently he knows a guy...
Apparently Ronaldo had a 50% off coupon for next visit that he sold to Morgan. That's how they first met (probably).

Last edited:

MichaelRed

My dad used to tell my girlfriends that they'd always have to accept being my 2nd love to Ronaldo but Jesus Christ, Piers is something else.

M15 Red.

Ronaldo's definitely shown his hand too early. And a Seven never wins against Eight Ten High card.

Apokalips

Hope the idiots at old trafford dont sing Ronaldo's name in foreseeable future
It will send a wrong message.

Club must back this man for as long as he deserves it.
Wouldn’t call them idiots but fully agree, my mate and I just looked at each other in a bit of disgust when we were at the Sheriff game and Viva Ronaldo rang out despite some people booing him. He was pretty much done to me after the Spurs incident and our fans singing his name made me feel like we were a bit lame.

ggg333

About as deluded as people who thought Rooney was better than Ronaldo. So yeah a lot actually
Personally for me, he absolutely is because Iam a united Fan and Rooney has done a hell of a lot more to Utd than Ronaldo ever will be(and many of my friends who are also united fans agree with this, also i personally wont Rooney in the same category as Scholes because of his Chelsea dibacle). Ronaldo achieved 10 times more for Real Madrid than United and if his fans think otherwise then its their view just like mine doesn't mean I will call them deluded as everyone has their own perspective.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Personally for me, he absolutely is because Iam a united Fan and Rooney has done a hell of a lot more to Utd than Ronaldo ever will be(and many of my friends who are also united fans agree with this, also i personally wont Rooney in the same category as Scholes because of his Chelsea dibacle). Ronaldo achieved 10 times more for Real Madrid than United and if his fans think otherwise then its their view just like mine doesn't mean I will call them deluded as everyone has their own perspective.
So to clarify....Rooney was a better player than Ronaldo?

NoPace

We just need to sign a replacement basically. Need to act quickly in January though with games against City and Arsenal on the 14th and 22nd respectively.
Eh we'll be on the break in both so Rashford is an okay option as a 9 in either game if Martial can't go a full 90.

I think we need a striker for when Martial is unavailable against the teams where we dominate the ball more.

Yakuza_devils

I hope ETH is not affected by this Ronaldo saga at all and is enjoying his break now to come back stronger to rebuild the team.

Keep the focus on the present and the future. Ronaldo is now firmly on the past. It was a catastrophic mistake to bring him back last year. He is the biggest ego and divisive figure football ever known.

Drainy

I hope ETH is not affected by this Ronaldo saga at all and is enjoying his break now to come back stronger to rebuild the team.

Keep the focus on the present and the future. Ronaldo is now firmly on the past. It was a catastrophic mistake to bring him back last year. He is the biggest ego and divisive figure football ever known.
I doubt he gives a feck what a has been he's already sidelined thinks

Foxbatt

ETH has been calm and controlled. SAF would have kicked Ronaldo back to Portugal if he had refused to come on. I remember Gary Neville or Rio saying that SAF made him cry after a CL match in Portugal.

EtH

ETH has been calm and controlled. SAF would have kicked Ronaldo back to Portugal if he had refused to come on. I remember Gary Neville or Rio saying that SAF made him cry after a CL match in Portugal.
Scholes, as much as I love him, once refused to play. Completely different circumstances though neither player can be excused obviously. But the point is SAF didn’t boot Paul out then. And he had a much firmer grip on the club than ten Hag does now.

bringbackbebe

Piers doesn't care about Ronaldo. Just wants to get clicks & reactions. He'll say anything to get there. That his job FFS!

Foxbatt

Scholes, as much as I love him, once refused to play. Completely different circumstances though neither player can be excused obviously. But the point is SAF didn’t boot Paul out then. And he had a much firmer grip on the club than ten Hag does now.
It was a league cup match and he refused to play and told the manager privately. He got fined and told if he ever did it he was gone. He apologised too.
Ronaldo did it twice and then in public slated his previous manager and his current manager. It's ridiculous to quote the Scholes incident.

EtH

It was a league cup match and he refused to play and told the manager privately. He got fined and told if he ever did it he was gone. He apologised too.
Ronaldo did it twice and then in public slated his previous manager and his current manager. It's ridiculous to quote the Scholes incident.
I’m not speaking to the interview. Just the circumstances EtH is dealing with and that booting Ronaldo out of the club straight after his refusal to come on wasn’t as straightforward a decision as some were saying.

SAF is the GOAT

Really hope that ETH will consider Charlie Mcneil and take him to the training camp and use him in the friendly matches

nickm

You can question his decision to give a single minute to Ronaldo: he has been shite for ETH, he has offered next to nothing and he obviously doesn't fit ETH's preferred system/tactics/setup at all.

For me, it would have made more sense to play anyone rather than Ronaldo. The argument that "we don't have anyone else" makes no sense, it's invalidated by Ronaldo's own useless performances. Elanga (or the tea lady) wouldn't have been worse.

So, yes - I see where you're coming from: If ETH has the backing of the higher-ups, why is it necessary for him to keep playing an unsuitable, under-performing player who also happens to be a thundercnut who doesn't respect his boss? Why not just drop him?

"Yeah, he's clearly shite and he isn't committed to me or my way of doing things at all...but I'll start him because..."

Yes, why exactly? Perhaps he really thinks that Ronaldo (despite being an obvious misfit and an obvious thundercnut) is legitimately a better alternative than...whoever may have replaced him. Again, though, that seems all the more odd based on what we now know: Ronaldo hasn't ever been on the same page as ETH.

We all (apart from his increasingly bizarre fan club) hope we've seen the last of Ronaldo in a United shirt, so that ETH can focus on his job - but this is still worth discussing, I think.
I think it's no more complicated than he wanted to give Ronaldo a chance, and also I think he saw a personal challenge to see if he could get something from him.

nickm

SAF was a subtler manager than his legend says. Scholes reaction was so uncharacteristic that Fergie probably saw it as caused by an error he'd made, rather than Scholes. That's why he didn't take it out on him beyond the basic discipline.

I don't think ETH has misjudged or mismanaged Ronaldo, that's the difference here.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

He’s probably won the biggest player power battle he’ll ever have to manage.
I just can see any angle where he did wrong. He handled it really well, could have quite easily publicly criticised the player but he kept everything toned and professional. It also sets a demand for the rest of the squad even the players with the biggest profile will be benched, substituted and suspended if they don't perform.

Football is already a really privileged game for those who make domestic championship / premier league level. There are hundreds of thousands and probably worldwide millions who don't make it and there are players today who don't humble themselves by assuming they without the right application should play. Credit to the club where credit is due if Woodward was here Ronaldo could have got an extension.

always_hoping

Erik has dealt with Ronaldo in the same way Ferguson dealt with Roy Keanes departure from the club. A case of moving on now and timely reminder that no one player is bigger than the club or manager.

nickm

Erik has dealt with Ronaldo in the same way Ferguson dealt with Roy Keanes departure from the club. A case of moving on now and timely reminder that no one player is bigger than the club or manager.
No doubt who the boss is now, if there ever was any.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think that is probably fair, but the manager made mistakes along the way too. He shouldn't have backed Ronaldo as much as he did post-Chelsea.
Of course he had to. It showed CR for who he truly is, despite several olive branches (on a sporting and human level) being shown to him.