Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Marcus

I think EtH is a victim of his own success. Expectations were at a high because of how well we had done and so the disappointment is painful and people are looking for someone to blame.

arthurka

All this without mentioning the Ronaldo situation/distraction, the change in attitude/culture around the players/club and most of the players we'd have gladly written off, showing great signs of improvement.
Agree, it´s so much better looks like a pro football club vs a bunch of hobby kickers doing what they want.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Leaving Casemiro on for the second half against Palace cost us.
We were a goal up and Fred should have come in.
We would easily have beaten Arsenal with Casemiro.

We are still 3 players short of a squad that can win the lot.
The Glazers hired Erik and gave him a handicap with Ronaldo who should have been moved on.

NLunited

The Glazers hired Erik and gave him a handicap with Ronaldo who should have been moved on.
Spot on. Except taking Casemiro off could have backfired too.

What we need to start doing is score the second goal, then we can take players off and rest them. That’s part of the next step we need to take in the process.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Casemiro is great but we didn’t beat Palace with him playing the full 90, so I’m not sure how we would’ve easily beaten Arsenal with him in the team.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Casemiro is great but we didn’t beat Palace with him playing the full 90, so I’m not sure how we would’ve easily beaten Arsenal with him in the team.
He’d of probably helped a lot against arsenal. But I get what you’re saying. Didn’t beat palace with him playing the full game. We need to start scoring the 2nd and 3rd goals like others have mentioned, that will allow us to bring of players

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We did not beat Palace because of a great free kick.
Still as has been said we should have scored a second to put the game to rest.
Arsenal would not have been able to dominate midfield if Casemiro had played.
Even so I thought we did very well.

Erik has done an unbelievable job with the squad.
Our over dependence on a few players like Casemiro and Rashford clearly tells us that we need to strengthen.

Last edited:

CM10

The same thing you wrote was said about previous managers.

When LVG was around, we hit top spot in the league at one point, then lost/drew a series of games. We did win an FA Cup, though.
He got fired.

When Jose joined, in his first season we won 2 trophies.

Then when Ole joined, and we won a lot of games initially, by big scorelines, the same was said. We won zero trophies.

So before you begin to congratulate each other on ETH's good performance, how about we win something first?
We are one of, if not the biggest spenders in World football and we haven't won any trophies in a long time. Those are the facts. If ETH really is one of the best, we should be winning a trophy this season and competing for all trophies next season.
I'm not saying that ETH is a bad manager - but we need to reserve judgement. If we can get 4th place this season, it'll be a good season for him.
None of those managers managed to achieve top 4 and win a trophy in the same season. Ten Hag has put us in a position where we could do both in his first season.

There's no comparison with any of them really - he's inherited the worst set of circumstances, managed to imprint his ideas on the team quickly and coached players who were either underperforming or lost causes to a good level. There obviously has to be continued progress but you can only judge him on what we've seen so far and the signs are positive.

evil_geko

I am just scared about new takeover and how new owners might go for some new "instant success" manager and will not have patience for Ten Hags long term process.

Judas

Open to offers
I am just scared about new takeover and how new owners might go for some new "instant success" manager and will not have patience for Ten Hags long term process.
Which instant success manager would make any sense? I don’t really get this panic, especially with how things are clearly going with Ten Hag.

evil_geko

Which instant success manager would make any sense? I don’t really get this panic, especially with how things are clearly going with Ten Hag.
I know, the progress is very clear, but just look at Chelsea owner, common sense is something some owners do not have unfortunately.

NFM

To be honest much of Arsenal's development is down to actually buying the right, young and hungry players in the last couple of years. In 3 years time we'll have a Casemiro that's 33 years old, a 32 year old Varane, a 31 year old Bruno and a 30 year old Shaw. So many of your top performers in their 30ies. DDG will be 35 by then. So I'm not sure we are much comparable to Arsenal unless we start investing in the right players for a change. Let's hope for owners that will be happy to spend and invest in this team.
Yes, Arsenal team is on average 3 yrs younger than United. This team/squad don't have 'time' to develop, if they can't compete for the title now they never will. The new rules on finances will be very constraining on United player purchases unless a new owner comes with a new sponsor and enough funds to develop a new stadium. ETH is doing well, but he is human and does and will make mistakes. The Antony purchase is very poor given the state of the finances.

Tapori

Sack Hag
Sell Rashford

I mean, the absolute state of our wider fanbase; Criticise yes but throwing him under after what he's turned around, is just nonsense
We need a CM or two this window if possible.

Glorio

Sack Hag
Sell Rashford

I mean, the absolute state of our wider fanbase; Criticise yes but throwing him under after what he's turned around, is just nonsense
Particularly scary when you hear that Sis Jim Ratcliffe is an avid poster on the Caf! :nervous:

Ok I pulled that out of thin air!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Easily? No way. Yes it was a mistake but lets move on

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Sack Hag
Sell Rashford

Some fans deserve Ole forever in a parallell universe

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be honest much of Arsenal's development is down to actually buying the right, young and hungry players in the last couple of years. In 3 years time we'll have a Casemiro that's 33 years old, a 32 year old Varane, a 31 year old Bruno and a 30 year old Shaw. So many of your top performers in their 30ies. DDG will be 35 by then. So I'm not sure we are much comparable to Arsenal unless we start investing in the right players for a change. Let's hope for owners that will be happy to spend and invest in this team.
That's not how it should be looked at. We need leaders in the team and you just can't do it with kids. (Not everyone is SAF). Arsenal is yet to win something . So lets calm down a bit .

Yes, In 3 to 4 years we will need to find adequate replacements for Casemiro and Varane. DDG would be gone by next season. 3 players in 4 years isn't a tough ask. As long as we get the right ones in, we are good.

Tapori

Some fans deserve Ole forever in a parallell universe
I loved Ole and really supported him but Ole's inevitable downfall was his obsequiousness towards a core group of players running riot in terms of poor form and discipline and his complete lack of tactical adaptation and lack of leadership when Ronaldo came in and Maguire was failing.

Sounds easy, but had he tightened up at the back, dropped Maguire on merit and rotated more whilst going back to tactical counter-attacking basics and abandoning that absurd high-line, he may well have come out the other side and been going toe-to-toe with Arteta. I feel he put far too much faith in Maguire and refused to budge.

Ten Hag though, has shown what a higher level of manager can bring. I will be disappointed if we don't win or challenge until the end for a PL title but I have little doubt that if Ten Hag ultimately fails in terms of that he will at least leave the squad and team in a far better shape than Ole did.

Jericholyte2

It's a recurring theme that United's 2nd half performance usually takes nosedive.
We got away with it few times, it was always going to bite us eventually, understandably so but last two games especially were one of the worst second halves under ETH. 2nd half against real sociedad away was another one

Is it fitness, lack of squad depth or mental issue? Nobody knows. It's something ETH must address
Nothing to do with the fact we have a shockingly shallow squad depth and have been, are, and will for the next few weeks, been playing games every 3 days whilst others have breaks (Arsenal having a full week off as an example).

Absolutely asinine in ETH’s first season as manager to be blaming him for this.

Grande

Tbh i wouldn't get excited just yet. "Development" means feck all with this club. Gave Ole another 10 years and he still wouldn't win that EL final.
ETH probably will change that but he still need support from recruitment team.
Tbh, I wouldn’t ever be excited again. Life takes on such a (dis-)interesting hue if you suck all excitement out of it systematically. ;)

On another note - I’ve read about 300 posts complaining about people giving up on Ten Hag already, but I’ve yet to find a post being negative towards Ten Hag. Are everyone paranoid, or am I illiterate? Note that I am
a huge Ten Hag fan.

mav_9me

Tbh, I wouldn’t ever be excited again. Life takes on such a (dis-)interesting hue if you suck all excitement out of it systematically. ;)

On another note - I’ve read about 300 posts complaining about people giving up on Ten Hag already, but I’ve yet to find a post being negative towards Ten Hag. Are everyone paranoid, or am I illiterate? Note that I am
a huge Ten Hag fan.
A few
Today was absolutely shocking. Shades of Ole.
Not going anywhere under him. We might scrape top4 but only because Liverpool and Chelsea are in meltdown. Same old cycle.

Doing no better than Ole after spending 200m.
Erik ten Halfwit.
It feels like a lot of fans overhyped him to get back at Ole (so they could "win the argument" so to speak) and some just in general hope that he would turn things around.

I'm not getting too excited until I see genuine improvement and the team is on another level to what it was post Sir Alex Ferguson. He's done ok so far.

Grande

People are being a bit too precious about some of the criticism. Yeah the people going way too extreme we can rightly admonish.
But most of the criticism I've seen is just about his game management recently.

I get that he might not fully trust the bench options but I'd prefer if he was braver and tried to make a change. Same like I was with Ole. The game was clearly going against us and doing nothing was gonna bite us in the end. It's not like we're playing a bad team so if you leave it status quo they're gonna break through eventually.

Take the game to the opposition and force them back. Or go fully defensive and bring on another defender. Doing nothing ends up with the results we've seen the last couple games. Plus the players are tired because of the number of games. Fresh legs will help. He made positive changes against City and they worked. Do it against Arsenal.
During the game, I agreed with you about the subs. After it, I’m not so sure anymore. One thing is that statistics don’t back up the notion that subs are always better than no subs in the short run. In fact, subs destabilize as often as they strengthen. Solskjær in fact was criticized for his lack of subs simultaneously to stats showing that his subs had the most positive impact of all managers in the league, and we all agreed it wasn’t due to the quality of his bench. I think a fact of football fandom is that we long for some way to control our tension during the match thinking about possible changes, and easily imagine our ideas for changes not followed would have been proven right, whenif done, we’d just as often see our team lose cohesion or make defensive blunders as a result of our changes.

As it happened, we lost the game in the last minute, meaning we held a draw away to the fully rested league leaders for 89 mins. That might be held as evidence for the choice of making few changes. The three players most culpable for the flukey goal, Bissaka, McTominay and Bruno, were among the least likely to be subbed anyway, and the goal didn’t come as a result of a barrage, but a combination of huge defensive errors and some offside line luck. Fred was on the pitch, and Garnacho probably wouldn’t have affected that much. I think hindsight etc is at play.

Grande

Icertainly missed the first three, which were braindead. The fourth I think is a fair statement. Even if I myself see huge improvement, it’s fair to say he hasn’t achieved anything substantially yet that Solskjær didn’t achieve. I think he will, but it’s more than fair to doubt such premonitions. Neither do I think Ten Hag or anyone is beyond mistakes or criticism, even if I agree with Henry more than those. But the three first, yea, three moronic takes (in a one to hundred minority though?)

Shiva87

I don’t understand the number of posters coming out and complaining about ten hag. Was he supposed to make us title challengers in 1 season?

he is making us a part of the conversation from a footballing standpoint. I no longer hear the apologies from players, the shameless selling of United merchandise to fans to maximise revenues, and chatter about over the top contracts.

that in itself is good for the first season. Anything above that is a bonus. I would have been happy with him not even getting us too 4 but looking like a team again.

Will support him for years now. Just hoping we don’t get a Bohely type of owner who wants his own guy when the sale happens!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Maybe re-read what I said? I though that was a poor game for Ten Haag. It happens. Messi and Ronaldo have poor games and I've said "shades of bramble" when Rio has had poor games

No need to act so precious about Ten Haag as if he can never criticize him this is what Ole fans would do and it's weird. I'll be backing ten haag unless we finish 10th or something

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The same thing you wrote was said about previous managers.

When LVG was around, we hit top spot in the league at one point, then lost/drew a series of games. We did win an FA Cup, though.
He got fired.

When Jose joined, in his first season we won 2 trophies.

Then when Ole joined, and we won a lot of games initially, by big scorelines, the same was said. We won zero trophies.

So before you begin to congratulate each other on ETH's good performance, how about we win something first?
We are one of, if not the biggest spenders in World football and we haven't won any trophies in a long time. Those are the facts. If ETH really is one of the best, we should be winning a trophy this season and competing for all trophies next season.
I'm not saying that ETH is a bad manager - but we need to reserve judgement. If we can get 4th place this season, it'll be a good season for him.
This is some kind of selective memory. Here's what actually happened:

LVG got fired because he played boring, horrible football that everybody hated and there was no progression in sight for him to achieve anything above FA Cup or top 4. But most importantly he got fired because Mourinho became available and Woodward thought Mou was an easy way to win the league, while LVG clearly wasn't. That is why LVG got fired. He would NOT have gotten fired if Mou was employed. Fact.

Mou got fired because he became toxic, started actively complaining about lack of transfers and pissed off Woodward. Ed then used poor run of form to kick him out.

Ole got fired way later than he should have because he oversaw a series of most humiliating defeats in the history of United and completely lost control of the team.

They all got fired for a reason. None of them won anything that we really care about (UCL or the EPL).

EtH is exciting because he hasn't done anything horrible yet, has turned around the absolute worst United team enough so we are realistic contenders for top 4, and there's a feeling that if properly supported he can win EPL or UCL for us. That is why EtH is exciting. If he declines like others did, he will also get fired. But so far, he's been way better coach than Ole can ever be, and way smarter than Mourinho, also his football is better than that of LvG's.

NLunited

Maybe re-read what I said? I though that was a poor game for Ten Haag. It happens. Messi and Ronaldo have poor games and I've said "shades of bramble" when Rio has had poor games

No need to act so precious about Ten Haag as if he can never criticize him this is what Ole fans would do and it's weird. I'll be backing ten haag unless we finish 10th or something
For Gawd’s saake it is Hag not Haag, Shaamans!

fallengt

Nothing to do with the fact we have a shockingly shallow squad depth and have been, are, and will for the next few weeks, been playing games every 3 days whilst others have breaks (Arsenal having a full week off as an example).

Absolutely asinine in ETH’s first season as manager to be blaming him for this.
Who's blaming what? It's a constructive criticism. All i said bad performance in 2nd half is a clear pattern in United general play, not blip. It's something ETH must improve

I guess previous managers have mindbroke this place to the point that they can't separate fair observation and criticism.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
This is some kind of selective memory. Here's what actually happened:

LVG got fired because he played boring, horrible football that everybody hated and there was no progression in sight for him to achieve anything above FA Cup or top 4. But most importantly he got fired because Mourinho became available and Woodward thought Mou was an easy way to win the league, while LVG clearly wasn't. That is why LVG got fired. He would NOT have gotten fired if Mou was employed. Fact.

Mou got fired because he became toxic, started actively complaining about lack of transfers and pissed off Woodward. Ed then used poor run of form to kick him out.

Ole got fired way later than he should have because he oversaw a series of most humiliating defeats in the history of United and completely lost control of the team.

They all got fired for a reason. None of them won anything that we really care about (UCL or the EPL).

EtH is exciting because he hasn't done anything horrible yet, has turned around the absolute worst United team enough so we are realistic contenders for top 4, and there's a feeling that if properly supported he can win EPL or UCL for us. That is why EtH is exciting. If he declines like others did, he will also get fired. But so far, he's been way better coach than Ole can ever be, and way smarter than Mourinho, also his football is better than that of LvG's.
Hang on. What you’ve seen is so impressive that you think he can win the Champions League for you?!