Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just finished reading the match report in the newspaper; I then thought about the Sancho substitution. I wonder if Eric protected/helped him by bringing on Rashford and Martial at the same time? By being part of a triple substitution his appearance after a long layoff would be partially deflected by the perceived forward line shakeup; Forest defenders would be far more concerned by Rashford as he is the leagues in-form player and by playing Sancho in the number 10 role would ensure that he would be in the thick of the action.
Yeah, I said the same in the match day thread. He's kinda 'protected' in a substitution like that, both when coming on and during the game after. There may have been tactical considerations as well, but I'd think it was deliberate.

Kaos

In a recent interview about Sabitzer he said he followed Sabitzer ever since his Leipzig days.
Feels good to have a manager who's not only good at tactics and man management but also up to date when it comes into players and talents.
Promising shift in our transfer strategy too. Beats having that idiot Woodward signing players for the sake of shirt sales.

MUFC OK

Happy birthday to the gaffer.

If anyone wants a photo op, I bet he'll be in one of Tattu (Spinningfields) or Cibo (Hale) for a meal this evening.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
ETH retired from playing in 2002 and became manager of Go Ahead Eagles in 2012.

Does anyone know what he was doing in those 10 years?
The Dutch Wiki covers that: he was head of the academy at Twente from 2002-2006, and additionally an assistant coach for the first team from 2006-2009. He was assistant to Rutte at the end, and then followed him to PSV, where Ten Has was assistant coach from 2009-2012. After that, you get Go Ahead Eagles, Bayern II, Utrecht, Ajax, United.

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_ten_Hag

So yeah, definitely not the kind of guy that blundered straight into a high-profile coaching job right after his playing career!

Those early days might also explain why he appears to have some strongly held views on the links between the first team and the academy and reserves: he's been part of those sides of clubs for years as well, he knows what he's talking about.

AndySmith1990

The Dutch Wiki covers that: he was head of the academy at Twente from 2002-2006, and additionally an assistant coach for the first team from 2006-2009. He was assistant to Rutte at the end, and then followed him to PSV, where Ten Has was assistant coach from 2009-2012. After that, you get Go Ahead Eagles, Bayern II, Utrecht, Ajax, United.

So yeah, definitely not the kind of guy that blundered straight into a high-profile coaching job right after his playing career!

Those early days might also explain why he appears to have some strongly held views on the links between the first team and the academy and reserves: he's been part of those sides of clubs for years as well, he knows what he's talking about.
I feel like some ex players would be well advised to take the same sort of career path rather than jumping in at the deep end too soon

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

The form of the younger teams seems to have picked up since he took more charge of them as well.

SAF is the GOAT

Right now I'm so confident at our manager that if he'll put Slabbhead at number 10 - I'll back him

next_number_seven

Thanks. Didn't know that.
I knew he was Steve McClaren's assistant.

So he's had 20 years coaching experience before arriving at Utd. I think this is a good path for aspiring managers to follow.

I liked Ole but he never really paid his dues. He was given jobs based on his name rather than success. To be fair he did well in Norway though.

Some of the best managers worked their way up such as Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Martin O'Neill, Fergie.

Some Italian dude whose name escapes me also.

So ETH had 20 years developing his philosophy.
This is why he has such conviction and talks about "rules"

Reactions: Cheimoon

tenpoless

Promising shift in our transfer strategy too. Beats having that idiot Woodward signing players for the sake of shirt sales.
Indeed. Long may it continue, no more executives buying players for business purposes and no more dragging transfers uneccessarily long only to pay more by the end of it. I know Antony was one of it but the swiftness in recent transfers, both in identification of the players and negotiations give me hope. Surely we already have a list for next window...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

So he's had 20 years coaching experience before arriving at Utd. I think this is a good path for aspiring managers to follow.

I liked Ole but he never really paid his dues. He was given jobs based on his name rather than success. To be fair he did well in Norway though.

Some of the best managers worked their way up such as Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Martin O'Neill, Fergie.

Of course, there's examples both ways. But yeah, a lot of the current big names didn't jump straight into big-team coaching, even if Ten Hag's trajectory must be among the longest before arriving at his first top club (Ajax).

LordSpud

Cant wait to see if there has been a proper mentality shift and we can finally go and win that final!

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
wowsers, it never stops does it for ETH, so glad we have a competent lad in charge at the moment though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Saw a quote from him that said "Good to reach the final but it is not about reaching the final, it is about winning it" which I absolutely love. No point getting to a final if you get there and lose. I hate when that's used as some metric of outstanding performance.

ETH has the mentality of a top manager.
Shaw said the same so the mentality is clearly rubbing off, which is also great.

cyberman

Yep. He'll select the best players he can and if the hierarchy tell him not to select one, he'll select someone else without much fuss.
The owners are going, it’ll be left to Ten Hag.
If certain oil money comes in the god knows what will happen. Could end up being captain

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Sarri? I think he was a banker, and coached lower league football in his spare time.

Flexdegea

Now he has another drama to deal with.

He's doing an incredible job when you think of how shambolic the pre season transfer window was, the start, the Ronaldo drama for months, the Maguire headache........and now the money Mase drama that's about to drop ,.........and we keep building momentum.

He a total winner, high high standards.

I trust his judgement on everything so far.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I still can't digest the fact that he put Rashford ON for some time. I mean, Pellestri was available or could have given that to Mainoo instead he put our most important player for a very dead rubber game.

You can all sugar coat you want, but thats just a bad management from him. So Short term thinking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I still can't digest the fact that he put Rashford ON for some time. I mean, Pellestri was available or could have given that to Mainoo instead he put our most important player for a very dead rubber game.

You can all sugar coat you want, but thats just a bad management from him. So Short term thinking.
Pellistri doesn't play from the left. Looks like Sancho came into that narrow Pellistri role.

Matthew84!

Rashford had direct involvements in both goals, good management I say.

December_16

Momentum is very important. Rashford, so far, has proved to be a momentum player. Him getting 2 assists in such a short period will keep him in high confidence for the coming games. That’s not even a controversial decision, let alone bad management.

Flexdegea

What's the craic of the terrible hot takes.

He had direct goal involvements coming on. It's good management.

I really rate Mainoo and Pellestri, but let's be honest they no where close to ready and will barely feature this season. I don't get why it's a issue he not firing them on in games, and it's poor management that he isn't.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not the thread to ask this in I know but does anyone know if the game against Leeds next Wednesday is showing on sky sports?

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I love how relaxed he looks in interviews now, especially with Roy, heh. At Ajax he usually looked like it was torture for him, although Dutch media are always a little negative especially in regards to the 'big 3', meanwhile the English media seem to adore ETH almost as much as us fans do (from what I have seen).

RedCurry

How’s that short-term thinking? He’s already said many times that he wants his main players to get as much playing time as possible for them to build routines, especially the forwards. Compare our progress to where we were a year ago. Things didn’t just improve by coincidence. The goal this season was top four and to build a playing style. He’s sticking to objectives. Playing Pellistri or any other young player just because fans want to see new faces, is not part of his job or any kind of a good long term plan.

NLunited

So I'm guessing more of a pure 4-3-3 than the 4-2-3-1 for the rest of the year, since Ten Hag prefers Fred further forward and Sabitzer is more comfortable a little higher in midfield. More space centrally for the striker and Bruno a tad wider and deeper maybe, with Antony on the touchline and Dalot/WanB tucked in to help in midfield. So ultimately this hurts Antony a little as we reduce overlapping options for him.

All the more reason to replace McTominay with a proper DM, but I would be shocked if we move him last minute with Eriksen out.
In attack Wan-Bissaka pushes up high most of the time and interchanges position a lot with Antony. In fact Antony has been getting more space.

He wanted the home win, clear. Secondly, maybe he brought him on as cover for Sancho, to avoid having Sancho‘s performance scrutinized too much, heh?

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How’s that short-term thinking? He’s already said many times that he wants his main players to get as much playing time as possible for them to build routines, especially the forwards. Compare our progress to where we were a year ago. Things didn’t just improve by coincidence. The goal this season was top four and to build a playing style. He’s sticking to objectives. Playing Pellistri or any other young player just because fans want to see new faces, is not part of his job or any kind of a good long term plan.
Plus he has said he wants the momentum of positive results to continue, and that training intensity is fairly light right now, with the intensity rather coming from matches.

Altogether, three reasons why it might make sense that key players made an appearance. Although one can of course disagree with Ten Hag's arguments/approach here.