Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 104 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 249 70.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
In the last few matches, ETH has gotten his subs right with instant impacts. I think we can safely say that ETH now knows his team. He knows the precise capability and impact of each player in his squad now.

Teja

Weghorst as AM (?) brought tears to my eyes. Finally our manager KNOWS how to change a game.
Yup exactly this. Our midfield was just being garbage generally at breaking lines. It was a lot of sideways passing between CBs because they were terrified of giving Fred the ball in space in the middle.

Having a guy like Weghorst at #10 you could ping the ball to got us the win.

I'm fully sold on his tactical ability. As long as he keeps it together man management wise, we will be solid.

croadyman

Yup exactly this. Our midfield was just being garbage generally at breaking lines. It was a lot of sideways passing between CBs because they were terrified of giving Fred the ball in space in the middle.

Having a guy like Weghorst at #10 you could ping the ball to got us the win.

I'm fully sold on his tactical ability. As long as he keeps it together man management wise, we will be solid.
We haven't seem tactical ability on this level for a decade,yes Jose and LVG had moments but this feels more sustained

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We haven't seem tactical ability on this level for a decade,yes Jose and LVG had moments but this feels more sustained
To be fair, even during SAF reign it always seem like our team run over people by sheer skill and power. Very rarely it felt tactical like the times when saf used JSP to unsettle arsenal and Fletcher in attacking against joses chelsea.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
According to some of the cafe wankers, ETH is shit at subs and doesnt rotate.

justsomebloke

100%

Weghorst gave us the fight we needed in midfield where Fernandes just wasn't able/wanting to.

He won so many 2nd balls, pressed hard to win the ball with fred for our 2nd goal and played the killer pass too.

Say it quietly but maybe.... Rashford up top and Fernandes LW in the future?
I think it takes a little more than a decent ten minutes for Weghorst following 80 of practically no impact whatsoever before you even start thinking that. even on a pretty drab evening for him, Bruno still led the team in most offensive categories. It's kind of hard to see how it would make sense to play our arguably most important offensive player in a sub-optimal position in order to accomodate our decidedly weakest offensive player.

justsomebloke

To me, he's building up a pretty massive account of well-earned trust. The long and the short of it is we're a good deal better this season than we had any right to expect, the success rate of his signings has been much beyond average, the players seem to be buying in and it already seems fair to say he's had a transformative positive impact.

Kag

Despite a very important win today, I thought it was a bad game from him.

- He never rotates, then totally overdoes it when he does. No reason to chop and change that much today, especially after not doing so in the second-leg of the Capital One Cup semis. Not a logical way to ration the squad.

- Starting Maguire out of what I can only imagine must be some sense of duty to play him every once in a while, despite him seemingly having decided that Lindelöf was ahead in the pecking order.

- Starting Wout Weghorst again after how poor he's been lately. Just play Rashford through the middle with Garnacho out left. Wout is clearly hampering our chance-creation, which wasn't great to begin with.

- Keeping Weghorst on the pitch after that first half, even playing him as a no. 10 in the last 30 minutes. Inexplicable. (He did do okay there).

- Once again hesitating at least 10 minutes too long to change things when everyone could see things were not going our way.

Good substitution with Martinez on for Malacia, though, and three very important points. But we need to be more creative than we are, our points per game average is just not sustainable until we start creating a lot more chances. A very Ole esque game today, no real structure, no control, no creativity.
This is a relentlessly boring and entitled analysis. Fair play to you.

Kag

“He doesn’t rotate enough and the players will be burnt out”
-Rotates-
“Awful selection choices with the starting lineup today”
:lol: Brilliant, isn’t it?

Our shite performances without the likes of Casemiro, Eriksen and Varane are proof of why he clearly doesn’t like to overdo it on the rotation.

This bloke is performing miracles with this squad of players.

Suedesi

I don't know how anyone can't be happy with him or how we're doing this season. I don't think I've enjoyed watching utd this much since Fergie retired. I actively look forward to our games again. For quite some time it was more of a "I guess I'll watch the match cause it's Utd even though I know it'll be crap". People just can't fecking be happy, I guess.
This

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Love the relationship between ETH and rashford. Seems to be an occurring thing aswell moving rashford central and then he bags us a goal.
They've mentioned it on the Athletic podcast about Utd, Talk of the Devils, I think it's Carl Anka who's asked this to Ten Hag before - why doesn't Rashford start up front considering the impact he has up there. And ETH has explained that part of that impact is from the opposing defences getting used to something (Wout's style of play) and then having to switch to something entirely different. He believes very much that the 90 minutes aren't linear and that there is a way to handle it in parts.

What he did on Sunday, with the changes, effectively pushing Sabitzer to a right back position in possession, with Dalot more central, and Wout behind Rash, was excellent game management and doesn't amount to him having fecked up on the starting line-up as some have suggested, but understood perfectly well what challenge this game would pose, and come up with a plan to effectively handle it.

It was one of our ugliest games under him, but I would say one of the strongest indictements of the work he's been doing over the past months.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
They've mentioned it on the Athletic podcast about Utd, Talk of the Devils, I think it's Carl Anka who's asked this to Ten Hag before - why doesn't Rashford start up front considering the impact he has up there. And ETH has explained that part of that impact is from the opposing defences getting used to something (Wout's style of play) and then having to switch to something entirely different. He believes very much that the 90 minutes aren't linear and that there is a way to handle it in parts.

What he did on Sunday, with the changes, effectively pushing Sabitzer to a right back position in possession, with Dalot more central, and Wout behind Rash, was excellent game management and doesn't amount to him having fecked up on the starting line-up as some have suggested, but understood perfectly well what challenge this game would pose, and come up with a plan to effectively handle it.

It was one of our ugliest games under him, but I would say one of the strongest indictements of the work he's been doing over the past months.
Definitely felt like this was one of those games which highlighted how good he is tactically. It's not all about throwing on an extra attacker when we need a goal or having someone man mark the oppo's best players out of the game. Brilliant how he kept Wout on but changed the formation around to get him more involved and get us playing more direct. He got his subs spot on as well.

Can imagine the players being way more impressed than any of us and buying into his system. Each of LVG, Jose and Ole had major flaws - snoozefest football, hopeless man management, tactical limitations. ETH seems fine on all these grounds (hopefully not jinxing it). Hopefully he does even better with more squad depth and more players fitting into his system.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

It's an interesting approach, and I wonder how common it is.

Discussions of this kind are usually about the initial line-up, and how teams then respond to how the game plays out and to adjustments the opposition makes. But it makes a ton of sense to see the game in phases and play ahead for how you will approach each phase - like by setting up initially to contain Leeds's energy, and then later switching tactics to a different formation with a more attacking approach once the storm has died down.

Usually, that's only discussed in terms of your typical 'bringing on fresh legs to run in behind' substitutions without significantly switching tactics. But it makes a lot of sense to make real tactical changes that are fully planned out ahead. Ten Hag can't be unique in that; Nagelsmann immediately comes to mind as someone that would also be all over that. But I wonder how often coaches really approach a game that way beforehand.

acnumber9

“He doesn’t rotate enough and the players will be burnt out”
-Rotates-
“Awful selection choices with the starting lineup today”
I bet you think black and white are the only colours too. No room for shades of grey here. People thought 3-0 up in a two legged cup tie may have been a better opportunity to rotate. It’s not exactly a crazy notion.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
:lol: Brilliant, isn’t it?

Our shite performances without the likes of Casemiro, Eriksen and Varane are proof of why he clearly doesn’t like to overdo it on the rotation.

This bloke is performing miracles with this squad of players.
I think some people are quick to forget how poor the team was last season.

King Kendrick

I bet you think black and white are the only colours too. No room for shades of grey here. People thought 3-0 up in a two legged cup tie may have been a better opportunity to rotate. It’s not exactly a crazy notion.
It’s a shot at the over the top reactions from the same people who want it both ways. You should take the hint as you’re the only one who responded negatively.

acnumber9

It’s a shot at the over the top reactions from the same people who want it both ways. You should take the hint as you’re the only one who responded negatively.
It’s a discussion forum mate. If you think I’m the only person who thought it was a mistake then you’re clearly blind. Now take the hint yourself.

King Kendrick

It’s a discussion forum mate. If you think I’m the only person who thought it was a mistake then you’re clearly blind. Now take the hint yourself.
And there’s saying a manager is wrong for x reasons, which we can discuss at length, and saying oh my god he’s clueless why is he starting donkeys/lost faith in him due to rotations in one off games/oh he made a mistake won’t be good enough for us long term. Relax there buddy.

acnumber9

And there’s saying a manager is wrong for x reasons, which we can discuss at length, and saying oh my god he’s clueless why is he starting donkeys/lost faith in him due to rotations in one off games/oh he made a mistake won’t be good enough for us long term. Relax there buddy.
Where the hell have I said anything like that? You’re arguing against yourself.

nickm

Can imagine the players being way more impressed than any of us and buying into his system. Each of LVG, Jose and Ole had major flaws - snoozefest football, hopeless man management, tactical limitations. ETH seems fine on all these grounds (hopefully not jinxing it). Hopefully he does even better with more squad depth and more players fitting into his system.
It is really remarkable just how good he is at everything. The players must be loving it, the fans certainly are.

cpresc

It is really remarkable just how good he is at everything. The players must be loving it, the fans certainly are.
Agreed. Genuinely prefer him over Pep and Klopp and I've been pretty envious over those two for years now

redmanx

ETH has proved to have been an appointment of pure genius, or at least thats what the board would have us believe. But ETH is, without doubt, the best manager we've had since SAF and considering that the " geniuses" on the board were once considering going for Pocchetino, we are very, very lucky to have him! As well as stamping down on and getting rid of the prima donnas and time wasters who were pulling us down, ETH has got his squad playing with a togetherness and spirit not seen in over a decade. He is bringing the best out of players many, including myself, thought were finished at United, Marcus Rashford being the best example; Marcus is now playing with a smile and is enjoying football again. Luke Shaw is unrecognisable from the player of the last couple of seasons, and DDF has also had a new lease of life. Add to these Dalot, Fred, Lindelof and Wan Bisakka. In the market ETH has made some brilliant buys, Casemiro and Martinez being the two stand out players amongst these. And yet I read the other day that ETH might be replaced by a so called "big name" manager, if the club is sold; unbelievably, that perenial loser, Pocchetino, has been mentioned again as ETHs replacement! Surely, in the name of sanity and all thats sensible this will not happen!

Kaos

ETH has proved to have been an appointment of pure genius, or at least thats what the board would have us believe. But ETH is, without doubt, the best manager we've had since SAF and considering that the " geniuses" on the board were once considering going for Pocchetino, we are very, very lucky to have him! As well as stamping down on and getting rid of the prima donnas and time wasters who were pulling us down, ETH has got his squad playing with a togetherness and spirit not seen in over a decade. He is bringing the best out of players many, including myself, thought were finished at United, Marcus Rashford being the best example; Marcus is now playing with a smile and is enjoying football again. Luke Shaw is unrecognisable from the player of the last couple of seasons, and DDF has also had a new lease of life. Add to these Dalot, Fred, Lindelof and Wan Bisakka. In the market ETH has made some brilliant buys, Casemiro and Martinez being the two stand out players amongst these. And yet I read the other day that ETH might be replaced by a so called "big name" manager, if the club is sold; unbelievably, that perenial loser, Pocchetino, has been mentioned again as ETHs replacement! Surely, in the name of sanity and all thats sensible this will not happen!
I keep seeing this being suggested and I don't understand it. If a manager is doing well (which he currently is) and is popular amongst the fans and players, then surely we have nothing to worry about. If we get ambitious owners then they surely recognise that. If anything we've been to guilty in the past of not being ruthless enough and taking too long to sack managers who clearly weren't up to it. Ole for example should have been let go earlier instead of mid season where it all ended tragically.