Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think a 35 year old Ronaldo (one at Juve) would also have worked well for Ten Hag. I think Ten hag would have loved to have a proper goal scorer and would have used him very well, the issue he had was we had a shit version of CR7.
Thing is, even Juve version of Ronaldo plays for himself and provides a lot of "how many goals outweighs his 0 contribution everywhere else". You aren't as good as a team if you have to carry a passenger defensively. Everyone needs to do their bit. Ronaldo stopped doing his bit from that POV long ago, and it became something where even 30 goals from him probably wouldn't be worth it.

Chairman Steve

How much money do you think Pochettino spent on placating the English media last year? :houllier: Because that’s the only reason I can think of that he got so much appraisal this time last year as he was underwhelming at PSG and the unlimited money cheat code enabled.

darioterios

I really feared the worst back when I heard rumours of Pochettino, to me it was like the sky would have collapsed had he been appointed instead of Erik. I struggled to understand some showing indifference between him and Erik, the former was known for nothing other than pressing teams, whilst there were plenty of materials on Erik's ideas.

Olecurls99

Ten Hag is a clever man. A very very clever man. He even said United is his team, in the lines, he's meant for United.

There was one pundit, Hargreaves or someone else who said last season before Ten Hag was appointed
" Who couldn't want to manage United, a 75k full stadium every game, top of tree money to sign players, amazing fan base, a board which gives managers time, mammoth publicity it doesn't come bigger than that"

When you see it on those lines, as much as we are lucky to have Ten Hag, deep down Ten Hag knows he's extremely lucky to manage Man United.

Imagine moving from a Club which you had to sell your best players from time to time ( Ajax) to a club which buys those players from time to time ( United).

Imagine moving to a club which can spend £230M in window, have a backing of the supporters world wide, then 75k humans singing your name every game, then the board supports you to the tilt on Ronaldo's saga

You will flourish in ways you can't imagine..

The resources under Ten Hag disposal is near perfect even with penniless January window.

If he's backed on August with around 150M, then for sure we will have an incredible team.

It's not a coincidence he's been able to lift the team up.

His skills + United resources are meant for each other like a key and a lock.
Great post

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How much money do you think Pochettino spent on placating the English media last year? :houllier: Because that’s the only reason I can think of that he got so much appraisal this time last year as he was underwhelming at PSG and the unlimited money cheat code enabled.
Wondering why he is still jobless

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's not a secret that Poch has a lot of friends in the media. He's done some work for the Athletic in the past and of course has done a bit of punditry with Sky and the BBC too. I still rate Poch as a manager and I reckon PSG was a terrible fit for him. He's a manager better suited for an underdog imo. I'm interested to see where he goes in the summer.

Tony247

Is it though? There is a "make a fecking sub" topic and people have been complaining about the lack of rotation. All this is because Ten Hag knows he doesn't really have a plan B. I mean Plan A is fantastic, so not much to complain about, but still.
What do you mean by plan B? Changing the game with subs? For example, we have many goals scored by subs this year.

Levi1

I also don't think he's all that. But he did do a pretty good job at Spurs, most of the time. Better than Mourinho at least. He was quite close to winning the league, not unlike Rodgers

OmarUnited4ever

I am hardcore Pro Ten Hag, even last season when there was a poll, back then I thought he was more suitable to us, not only because he is a competent trainer, but I thought he had a strong personality and a stronger resilience.

However, I disagree with those who belittle Poch, who I think is a a competent trainer/coach, Spurs are somewhat relevant because of him, his teams (Saints & Spurs) played some excellent football when he was coaching them, my main issue with him is his personality, I didn't like how he could not manage and control PSG, he was far too weak a manager there and I think our team needed a Strong Manager who would tell these players who's boss, of course the situation with PSG and the big three there is bit special but still I didn't like how it went, and with that I didn't want Poch.

mctrials23

Poch is a good manager but his time at PSG has taken some of the shine off him. Hes a bit of a Potter. I'm still not 100% sure how good they are and what their ceiling is or whether some jobs in football are just impossible without the perfect manager for that particular moment in time for a club.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
And that was on top of a team already boasting Kompany, D Silva, Yaya Toure, Aguero and the like (not sure if KdB was there but i think so). A great spine already in place.
Yep, De Bruyne was signed the year before, so that's at least another £60m you can effectively add to it.

They hired Txiki Begiristain in 2012 and were basically signing players with Pep in mind for years before he got there, with KDB being the most obvious one.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep, De Bruyne was signed the year before, so that's at least another £60m you can effectively add to it.

They hired Txiki Begiristain in 2012 and were basically signing players with Pep in mind for years before he got there, with KDB being the most obvious one.
Yep, i know the piss is taken out of this phrase on the Caf :lol: but City laid the foundations for Pep long before he arrived!

PigeonEscobar

And that was on top of a team already boasting Kompany, D Silva, Yaya Toure, Aguero and the like (not sure if KdB was there but i think so). A great spine already in place.
“Do you know what is also heritage?
Is that, Otamendi, Kevin De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Aguero, they are investments, from the past, not from the last two years, from the past.

Do you know where are many United players that left the club last season? See where they play.
Where they play, how they play, if they play.

That’s football heritage.”

Robbie Boy

Yep, i know the piss is taken out of this phrase on the Caf :lol: but City laid the foundations for Pep long before he arrived!
"Laid the foundations" :nono:

All joking aside, the phrase certainly has meaning. It's a piss take on here as it's used wildly out of context; remember soms nutters claiming LvG laid some sort of foundations. There was one in the wild the other day on here trying to claim that Ole laid some sort of foundations for ETH :lol:

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I have to say, looking in from a distance, that Ten Haag seems to have no faults. He is perfect for an United.

RuudTom83

Pundit make you laugh...they are no better than the average fan on the Cafe.

Start of the season EtH's was out of his depth according to the genius pundits.

Now we are in the arc whereby everything EtH does is great and he is the best thing ever.

Which is just so that they can beat him with a stick when United only finish the season with a League Cup

mav_9me

The one thing I'll say is even if ETH now goes on to not have success here with us, it feels like he has shown how good he is and will definitely go on elsewhere to have success. This has established him as a top tier coach very obviously.

RedOrange

Is it though? There is a "make a fecking sub" topic and people have been complaining about the lack of rotation. All this is because Ten Hag knows he doesn't really have a plan B. I mean Plan A is fantastic, so not much to complain about, but still.
What has happened is one Ajax fan made one post back in August saying that EtH is slow to make changes based on his time at Ajax. Somehow, despite all evidence to the contrary, people here still think this, and their evidence is that he doesn't make like-for-like panic subs after 20 minutes when someone misplaces a pass.

bosskeano

Poch could have done the job for United..no denying that but EtH clearly was the right call and you have to give i guess Murtaugh a huge pat on the back to making that call to bring in a guy who'd never been in England as a manager

romufc

Poch could have done the job for United..no denying that but EtH clearly was the right call and you have to give i guess Murtaugh a huge pat on the back to making that call to bring in a guy who'd never been in England as a manager
I really do have my doubts of the job Poch could have done.

We saw at PSG, he just couldn't handle big players and egos. PSG and United were similar in their circus off the field. Poch got the chance to show how he deals with a big club and failed.

Ten Hag has come in and got hold of the club. The way he dealt with Maguire, Ronaldo and the like shows he is in control. I cannot see Poch having that aura or authority.

bosskeano

I really do have my doubts of the job Poch could have done.

We saw at PSG, he just couldn't handle big players and egos. PSG and United were similar in their circus off the field. Poch got the chance to show how he deals with a big club and failed.

Ten Hag has come in and got hold of the club. The way he dealt with Maguire, Ronaldo and the like shows he is in control. I cannot see Poch having that aura or authority.
EtH only had to deal with one in ronaldo. Poch had to deal with neymar, messi and mbappe, that can't be easy at all.

mu4c_20le

EtH only had to deal with one in ronaldo. Poch had to deal with neymar, messi and mbappe, that can't be easy at all.
Only Ronaldo was a real problem, the dressing room is still full of egos. Look at how Rangnick failed.

romufc

No. Ronaldo was the biggest one. I mean have a look at this United dressing room last year compared to this year, Ronaldo was not the only problem.

Do you think Ronaldo was leaking everything to the press alone is it?

darioterios

Far-fetched hope for Pochettino to replace Potter to see how he would handle a big team in a mess.

RedMistyDevil

I can answer that question for you. Ajax is able to put together a great starting line up and if we are lucky even three decent subs but after that it's either second tier or of course highly talented but very young academy players. ETH would never complain about this because he knows the club and to protect his team he would always say we have 20 good squad players while in reality he knew only 12/13 were ready for it. It sometimes made us mad as supporters that he said one thing and did the other but in retrospect it was purely because of lack of real depth in the squad. Too little Ziyechs too many Garnachos if you will.

You saw it in 2019 against Spurs. I an sure we wouldn't have lost the second match had we had Neres fit and Dolberg in form. Instead when the pressure was on we had to resort bringing in a defender with Magallan who was never good enough. That cost us and ETH knew that but he would never blame it on ayone in particular, instead he told us all to keep our chins up because there were two more finals up and that resulted in the first double in years where many of us feared the elimination would cost us all titles.
That's why next to our academy scouting is so important. We payed 7 million for Martinez and Antony for about 18. Then there was Tagliafico for 4 million and FDJ for a symbolic 1 euro (we shared the profits with W2 and RKC) and we know We will lose them fast if they succeed so basically our time period for European success closes every 2/3 years and a new cycle starts.
I feel like ten Hag's squad management experience with Ajax is key to what he's done with our players so far, and his squad building experience is going to be critical for our continued success. I hope we do assemble a scouting team that is up to par with his standards.

bosskeano

Only Ronaldo was a real problem, the dressing room is still full of egos. Look at how Rangnick failed.
of course the dressing room is full of egos....you don't get to this level of playing without having a slight ego but Rangnick failing was because he was too rigid. yes, Ronaldo was clearly the main issue in the dressing room.

No. Ronaldo was the biggest one. I mean have a look at this United dressing room last year compared to this year, Ronaldo was not the only problem.

Do you think Ronaldo was leaking everything to the press alone is it?
No idea about the leaking park and to piggyback on the post above, the dressing room will all have egos especially the senior players. Ronaldo was on another level though with his arrogance.

EtH has dealt with him and Maguire brilliantly.