Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Rusholme Ruffian

Also, you keep saying I am negative towards Ten Hag, please point to me 5 posts of mine that are negative towards Ten Hag and not the team....

I will wait.
OK, thank you for waiting.
Klopp took over mid way of the season, did not have a pre season and got europa final. Lets see if Ten Hag even finishes in the top 8.
We are a lucky team still, I dont think much has changed from last season. We are better on the ball in the first two phases but other than that, there is alot of improvement required before I say Ten Hag is doing an amazing job.
Liverpool squad is not better, we may not have been good at the end of last season, but dont act as if people at the start didnt say "Ole is holding back this squad" then Ten Hag got over 200m to spend over the summer, we will still be finishing same as last season 6th.
Agreed. When you see the posts after Liverpool and Arsenal it was all praise, but if after 9 games and 5 wins, I feel we should be able to criticise the manager on things he didn't do well in some games.
For example, I have seen people saying its Bruno's fault or its Fred's fault that we didnt score, well its the manager who has chosen to pick those players to play in those positions, so he has to take accountability too.
I have been saying, a humbling has been coming and got pelters for it last week. We conceded way too many chances in previous games and never got punished.
Its the same old story where we cannot dominate the ball, cannot keep the ball, cannot create anything in the first half.
This was a performance that was on the manager.
To be fair though you just seem a little confused. Considering you also posted this a few weeks ago, which is the exact opposite of what you've been saying over the last few pages :houllier:
I can see a few negative posts but my response would be:

We are playing so many games, its almost impossible to be at it 90 mins of every game, especially when you are playing 90 mins.

Its also games that matter, every game for us is a must win, a final after Barca followed by FA cup and Liverpool. Big games keep coming, for me its all about results at the moment.

I have enough faith in Ten Hag to improve our play come next season when he has more of his players and another pre season.

Last edited:

romufc

To be fair though you just seem a little confused. Considering you also posted this a few weeks ago, which is the exact opposite of what you've been saying over the last few pages
Its actually funny to see fans actually think a 7-0 loss to Liverpool is good thing :lol: :lol:

Weren't you the one who was all we need Poch we need Poch?

Last edited:

mav_9me

Most of those players were surplus and we did not need them. I mean two of our main rivals have been trash, we are 19 pts off 1st and Newcastle are competing with us for 4th. If we could not come ahead of that pack I'd be concerned. We should always be above Newcastle and Co
But you didnt name them. So I'll name them. Pogba and Matic, they were our starting CM. Greenwood was our starting RW/right forward. Ronaldo was our CF. Now tell me they are surplus and 200m spending means automatic title challenge or top 4 (whichever you think is par for that spending)

What do you mean we should always be above Newcastle and co? Why? Why dont you say we should always be above City? Why don't you say we should always be 1...why isn't that the bar? Point is that's an random arbitrary level you chose which doesn't make any sense. Newcastle with the injection of money can raise their level like city. Then we are in direct competition with them. They have raised their level. We haven't dropped our level to fighting Newcastle for 45 points or something. Say 5 yrs from now if Newcastle are fighting for the title, we should sack any manager who finishes below them?

The other thing is if you want to engage in a discussion please respond in good faith rather than dismissing as they are all surplus.

romufc

eh? are you OK?!

I'm not sure what you mean by the first comment, and as for the second question - no, I am not.
My last reply to you because we will be going round in circles, I like to comment on performances, i.e if we lost 7-0 to Liverpool call it out rather than say its okay its all good.

" All things considered I'm on the Poch train. I think Ten Hag is a brilliant manager, but I'm not convinced our squad is well suited to his style of football, and I can't face the thought of another 3 year cultural/stylistic reboot. " That was you btw.

Rusholme Ruffian

My last reply to you because we will be going round in circles, I like to comment on performances, i.e if we lost 7-0 to Liverpool call it out rather than say its okay its all good.

" All things considered I'm on the Poch train. I think Ten Hag is a brilliant manager, but I'm not convinced our squad is well suited to his style of football, and I can't face the thought of another 3 year cultural/stylistic reboot. " That was you btw.
I completely fail to see the relevance of your first point.

As to the second point, again, why is this relevant?! At some point - long before the appointment was made I made a comment saying a) that I think Ten Hag is a brilliant manager, but b) I thought Poch might be a better fit for the squad that we had at the time. Hardly controversial? And as you can see from this thread Ten Hag has had my complete support since he's been appointed. I'm not sure what you think this proves?

EDIT - you've dredged up one comment about Poch from 22nd Nov 2021...ie. before Rangnick was even appointed, when there still looked like there was a slim chance we might be able to get Poch straight away and I felt he might offer the best continuity from Solskjaer. Why have you done this again? :houllier:

Last edited:

Stacks

But you didnt name them. So I'll name them. Pogba and Matic, they were our starting CM. Greenwood was our starting RW/right forward. Ronaldo was our CF. Now tell me they are surplus and 200m spending means automatic title challenge or top 4 (whichever you think is par for that spending)

What do you mean we should always be above Newcastle and co? Why? Why dont you say we should always be above City? Why don't you say we should always be 1...why isn't that the bar? Point is that's an random arbitrary level you chose which doesn't make any sense. Newcastle with the injection of money can raise their level like city. Then we are in direct competition with them. They have raised their level. We haven't dropped our level to fighting Newcastle for 45 points or something. Say 5 yrs from now if Newcastle are fighting for the title, we should sack any manager who finishes below them?

The other thing is if you want to engage in a discussion please respond in good faith rather than dismissing as they are all surplus.
Pogba barely played was often injured and Matic was suitable for 1/3rd of the season. Both played 1700 minutes in the league last season. If you wanna go back further it was 1800 mins for Pogba and 1100 for Matic and they were our starting CM? They barely featured and were unreliable option for any of our managers. We were better before Ronaldo came with our existing striker options. Surplus for sure

When i said we should be above Newcastle I am basing it on where they have been vs us for the past 5 years. Their cash injection has not automatically leaped them above us overnight. Lots of mediocre players to a team 11th last season

mav_9me

Manutd rested Anthony, Sancho, Sabitzer, McTominay, Shaw for the game. I mean I get the injuries but really how can you even put Martial in there when he is never fit?

Casemiro was out because he made a silly tackle, you cant fault anyone but him for being out the games he will be.

No, I dont actually think that matters in football, you dont need 3 years to train a group of players if you are an elite coach.

I saw Pep, Klopp, Tuchel all within 12 months implement a style of play, I expect Ten Hag to do the same because he is imo an elite coach.

Our issue is passing, our players cannot pass the football. People have a right go at Bruno for his passing, when most of our players are in the similar boat, Casemiro has a passing accuracy of 78% this season wheras Rodri is 92% and Partey is 87%. Our best passing accuracy is Eriksen at 82%.

Imo that is where we are failing, how often we struggle to get the ball up the pitch, is because of sub par midfield passing. I guarantee, with a elite CM next to Casemiro and better ST who can hold up the ball and receive the ball from the CB/CM's, in the same system we will look a different team. Fatigued or not, I think we would be at least 5 times better on the ball.
Antony/Shaw only starters we rested. They rested 3 starters. You don't think that makes a difference? In a season where we are playing every 3.5 days?

Martial was our starting striker. Him being constantly injured is on him. Doesn't change the fact that our first XI lacks a no.9 as opposed to their first XI. Casemiro not being there is on him yes, but still bad luck. Point being our first XI against Fulham lacked 4 of our starting XI as opposed to just Saliba for them. Huge difference as pointed out when I asked if you thought Arsenal would be so good without Partey and Odegaard.

The difference in starting XI is a huge reason for their comfortable win while we had a difficult time. That's my point and that's why you can't compare the 2 games like you did.

Agree abt a better CM would change our possession game.

mav_9me

Pogba barely played was often injured and Matic was suitable for 1/3rd of the season. Both played 1700 minutes in the league last season. If you wanna go back further it was 1800 mins for Pogba and 1100 for Matic and they were our starting CM? They barely featured and were unreliable option for any of our managers. We were better before Ronaldo came with our existing striker options. Surplus for sure

When i said we should be above Newcastle I am basing it on where they have been vs us for the past 5 years. Their cash injection has not automatically leaped them above us overnight. Lots of mediocre players to a team 11th last season
So don't replace Pogba and Matic? Just play with McFred? We might have been better before Ronaldo but he was taking up a squad place, not to mention the wages. And I see you ignored Greenwood.

Point is 200m£ was spent just to replace previous first team players. Whether they were good enough or not, you need to replace them. Which costs money.

b82REZ

you dont need 3 years to train a group of players if you are an elite coach.

Didn't you argue the complete opposite of that under the last manager?

You have been, and continue to be, hypocritical. You're not the only one mind you. Your praise often comes across as if you're giving it through gritted teeth.

I don't know what your expectations were at the start of the season but I highly doubt they were top 4 with a trophy. Your hyperbolic post that we're in a dog fight for fourth was ridiculous.

romufc

Didn't you argue the complete opposite of that under the last manager?

You have been, and continue to be, hypocritical. You're not the only one mind you. Your praise often comes across as if you're giving it through gritted teeth.

I don't know what your expectations were at the start of the season but I highly doubt they were top 4 with a trophy. Your hyperbolic post that we're in a dog fight for fourth was ridiculous.
No I agree. Like I said, its football and its about opinions right?

I suspect that you have one view 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 2 years ago and its not changed, but I change my opinion based on what I see.

I was wrong, I admit that, having seen what Ten Hag has done, having seen what Tuchel did, I realised that with an elite manager, it doesn't need to take 3 years.

Ten Hag has shown, what an elite manager needs to do, his standards, the way he has gone on about things off the field, has been brilliant.

Like a year ago I would have sold Rashford and half the squad, seing him under an elite coach, I change my opinion.

My expectations for this season were to try get top 4 and a clear way of playing. A trophy was a bonus and he achieved that.

I dont think that means I cant comment on performances, especially when the manager agrees that performances have been bad.

b82REZ

I dont think that means I cant comment on performances, especially when the manager agrees that performances have been bad.
But you're not really doing that. You're deliberately aiming your frustration at the manager. A stance you admonished for years.

But I think you know what you're doing and you're just playing silly buggers for a reaction.

romufc

But you're not really doing that. You're deliberately aiming your frustration at the manager. A stance you admonished for years.

But I think you know what you're doing and you're just playing silly buggers for a reaction.
I am worried about how we are playing at the moment. Fatigue, lack of squad depth, lack of quality in some areas, injuries may cause all of this but it is still a worry.

I get we are in a good position at the moment but we also need to close of the season well and make sure we get that top 4 finish and CL football.

Maybe this international break is a blessing for some of our players, Martial, Eriksen, Rashford, AWB, Varane all can rest and recover.

We have had a good season thus far, I want us to make sure we end it well too.

NLunited

Its actually funny to see fans actually think a 7-0 loss to Liverpool is good thing :lol: :lol:

Weren't you the one who was all we need Poch we need Poch?
The reason the 7-0 loss is not brought up more is the good job Ten Hag has been doing. It is astonishing to me that even regular fans who don‘t care about tactics and such are not making a meal out of it.

I expected never to hear the end of it.

The consensus seems to be that it was a blip, a bad performance and a flattering scoreline for Liverpool, and we should move on and let Ten Hag continue the mission.

Who is saying it was a good thing? No good can come from such a disaster.

Real Name

This thread has become a discussion with one poster, a great admirer of Arteta. He has been beating the same drum for months, whatever you say to him he wont change his opinion.
Apparently a big fan of ETH too, which you wouldnt say from his posts at all.

Real Name

I mean shiiiiit he has managed to win a lot of games with mediocre selections and big gaps in the team so that is testament to his management. Got rid of Ronaldo, brought in Martinez and Rashford has got back to form so I am pleased with that. I was disappointed we did not offload Maguire and McTom in the summer so we could strengthen better but he has instilled the spirit and belief back in the club. He is doing well, sure
Yeah but but Arsenal won against Fulham with ease and we had huge problems with them.. Or something.

ErikElevenHag

For Ten Hag to play the football he wants to he needs a playmaking ball carrier and a strong, technical no.9 with good hold-up and link-up play. That's why he was desperate to land FDJ and why we'll go all out for either Kane or Osimhen in the summer.
If he needs a technical, hold up 9, he won't be going for osimhen that's for sure.

Djemba-Djemba

Strange to use Arsenal's games against Sporting and Palace as a stick to beat Ten Hag with.

Are we supposed to just ignore Arsenal were crap against Sporting and lost?

Utd won against Betis and then won at the weekend as well. Surely you'd rather win 2 then lose 1 and win 1?

Real Name

Strange to use Arsenal's games against Sporting and Palace as a stick to beat Ten Hag with.

Are we supposed to just ignore Arsenal were crap against Sporting and lost?

Utd won against Betis and then won at the weekend as well. Surely you'd rather win 2 then lose 1 and win 1?
This is even stranger:

Yes, because I rate Ten Hag alot higher than Arteta as manager.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Came in to read about ten Hag and see if he’d made any comments about anything. Nope, just a pile on by the forum police because a fan had the Gaul to support Ole and then say we’re not playing too well at the moment. What a surprise.

some posters still have such ptsd over Ole they can’t let it go, just breathe and enjoy this ride and peoples difference of opinions. And the funniest one wanted poch here, made me laugh that.

ten Haag has worked wonders but our form has dropped a lot, fatigue yes but even that is doubted by some fans, it was always going to catch up with the team.

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

Came in to read about ten Haag and see if he’d made any comments about anything. Nope, just a pile on by the forum police because a fan had the Gaul to support Ole and then say we’re not playing too well at the moment. What a surprise.

some posters still have such ptsd over Ole they can’t let it go, just breathe and enjoy this ride and peoples difference of opinions. And the funniest one wanted poch here, made me laugh that.

ten Haag has worked wonders but our form has dropped a lot, fatigue yes but even that is doubted by some fans, it was always going to catch up with the team.
Surprised to see you showing your face again after the embarrassment of being caught out lying a couple of weeks ago?!

And if one positive comment about Pochettino from Nov 2021 really amuses you that much you really ought to get out more :houllier:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Surprised to see you showing your face again after the embarrassment of being caught out lying a couple of weeks ago?!

And if one positive comment about Pochettino from Nov 2021 really amuses you that much you really ought to get out more :houllier:
Lying haha. Bore off mate. Continue your policing and post searching of another poster to pile on. Talk about getting out more. It made me laugh because it shows you know shit. The poch train.

b82REZ

It made me laugh because it shows you know shit. The poch train.
If we go down that route what should we do with the ones who beat the drum for former managers that were obviously not good enough?

Some definitely deserve having their hypocrisy pointed out. For three years they chastised and tried to chase out opposing voices, now the idea of "owning your posts" has been forgotten by many.

Also the pulling up of old posts hit new heights under Ole. It was a regular occurrence to have sanctimonious dickheads starting threads based solely on ridiculing those they disagreed with.

Rusholme Ruffian

Lying haha. Bore off mate. Continue your policing and post searching of another poster to pile on. Talk about getting out more. It made me laugh because it shows you know shit. The poch train.
Ah I see, you want to be left alone to post hypocritical, contradictory, negative shit, and then deny it (in spite of the posts being there for everyone to see), without anybody calling you out on your bullshit? Gotcha.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If we go down that route what should we do with the ones who beat the drum for former managers that were obviously not good enough?

Some definitely deserve having their hypocrisy pointed out. For three years they chastised and tried to chase out opposing voices, now the idea of "owning your posts" has been forgotten by many.

Also the pulling up of old posts hit new heights under Ole. It was a regular occurrence to have sanctimonious dickheads starting threads based solely on ridiculing those they disagreed with.
Fair enough all that I suppose, and to be honest I don’t remember posters and too far back and what they’ve said. I just seen someone being poked because they backed Ole but said we didn’t play well against Fulham. Both those I think are fair things.

I beat(past tense) the drum for former managers, because they were our manager and continued to do so until a certain point, just like now I think ten hag walks on water and hope he’ll continue to do so.

my stance the last few years maybe more for others to have clarity more than you is

backed Ole, backed him even more again when people wanted him out, then seen his time had come and had to go. Never liked ralf from the start although the forum did get my hopes up slightly reading stuff about him. Didn’t want Poch. Didn’t know much about ten hag at all but seen Ajax in champions league and was impressed. Massively impressed with how he has started here. Still some things he can get wrong and i don’t fully agree with but wouldn’t change him for any manger out there that I know of.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ah I see, you want to be left alone to post hypocritical, contradictory, negative shit, and then deny it (in spite of the posts being there for everyone to see), without anybody calling you out on your bullshit? Gotcha.
Go and have a drink

JustinC00

Erik, play Sabitzer and McTominay more forward.

and let Sabitzer take more FKs and corners