Eriksen and Martial

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Agreed, personally I was ready to sell him 3 years ago. However, having seen how the likes of AWB, Shaw, Dalot and Rashford have drastically improved under Ten Hag it's a real shame that he's not been fit this season - would have been good to know once and for all whether he could reach his potential here.
This is where I am and that’s why I want him here next season+ competition to see who/what he becomes.

Glorio

Yep.

Martial's stock seemed to undeservedly rise when he scored a few goals earlier in the season and so was used as a stick to beat Ronaldo with - "Who needs a has been? If he can stay fit Martial will carry on banging in the goals..."

There were always two problems with that - it's a huge 'if' regarding Martial staying fit. He's also never been a guaranteed scorer - very inconsistent with some good seasons and some poor ones. With more of the latter than the former.

At least there was a more positive recent update about Eriksen's fitness.
Not sure Martial was used as a stick to beat Ronaldo. What would have been the point? When Martial was fit with ETH, he seemed to be first choice anyway. Ronaldo on the other hand, provided ample sticks for folks to beat him with all by himself

The big concern for most on here, even when Martial was lighting up pre-season was whether he could stay fit or could even be trusted to keep his consistency.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It’s interesting the way a few good pre season performances, followed by almost a full season of being crocked has managed to wipe Martial’s many average to shite performances from recent seasons off the record.
It wasn’t even a compliment to Martial as much as how limited Weghorst is for this level.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep.

Martial's stock seemed to undeservedly rise when he scored a few goals earlier in the season and so was used as a stick to beat Ronaldo with - "Who needs a has been? If he can stay fit Martial will carry on banging in the goals..."
100% spot on. People try and deny it now, but at the time it was all, wow, Martial looks brilliant in the 2 friendlies or so he played in, we'll be amazing with him up top.
Ignoring the last season he was average, and ignoring we'd shipped him off on loan.

Still, as Rashy and Shaw have had equal rollercoasters from poor to brilliant, maybe he still has one more surge in him?
Has a 2month chance basically, as everyone knows we'll go big up top in the summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed, personally I was ready to sell him 3 years ago. However, having seen how the likes of AWB, Shaw, Dalot and Rashford have drastically improved under Ten Hag it's a real shame that he's not been fit this season - would have been good to know once and for all whether he could reach his potential here.
Mixture of the improvement those players have shown, mixed in with us being wise to have stuck with Shaw & Rashy who have had some real downtimes with us.

Having said that, we have let some players stay way too long. It's a fine balance.

Rusholme Ruffian

Mixture of the improvement those players have shown, mixed in with us being wise to have stuck with Shaw & Rashy who have had some real downtimes with us.

Having said that, we have let some players stay way too long. It's a fine balance.
Christ yeah, we are the worst club in the world for letting players hang around long past they have ceased to be useful. I do think with Martial that we'd need to replace him on top of signing a top class centre forward, so unless we know his injury problems are going to continue it would be worth hanging on to him for another season imho.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Christ yeah, we are the worst club in the world for letting players hang around long past they have ceased to be useful. I do think with Martial that we'd need to replace him on top of signing a top class centre forward, so unless we know his injury problems are going to continue it would be worth hanging on to him for another season imho.
You certainly need attacking options and you're right, bring a top striker in, and it'd still only leave Martial & Weigy (if he stays as back up), with Rashy able there in the right circumstance, but much better on the left.

Those 4 options would work.

jesperjaap

Yeah, I think all things considered I'd be happy with that too. Apart from anything else, we're so short of actual number 9s that if he gets sold we probably need to buy another 2 (assuming MG is permanently out of the picture).
That is very much a valid point. Everbody talking about who the number 9 signing should be, wehen the current options are:

Weghorst - Surely wont be made permanent
Martial - Been here a long time now
Rashford - Is an argument but I am very much in the he is a left sided player
Greenwood - Whether he has a future here let alone after so long can even come back if he does

There is a distinct possibility Martial is the only justfiable option we currently have.

All that being said, personally I would still sell him. I know there is the argument Ten Hag has improved player a, b c which is justified....but he isnt going to improve everybody, not everybody is going to buy in to the work ethic on management....we have seen that already in cases. Martial has been here a long time now, he has had a lot of injuries, despite the ability he hasnt had many consistent spells of form.

IF we can even actually sell him for a decent fee, which is by no means a given at this point in time, I would rather we sign a second striker that is young and talented and can be moulded.

I still think with the inconsistencies there seem to be bith physically and mentally, that is the better option.

Eriksen stays, but for me he has never been more than a very valuable squad member, its just our midfield options are too young or too poor that he has started so often....bot doubting him bein ga good player that has done well....but I never thought we would hugely missed him as others mentioned and in reality....have we?

Baneofthegame

I'd take 20 million for Martial if we could get it, Eriksen will probably be back before him to the team which is saying something.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep, this is a strange thread as the two players are totally different scenarios.

Rusholme Ruffian

All that being said, personally I would still sell him. I know there is the argument Ten Hag has improved player a, b c which is justified....but he isnt going to improve everybody, not everybody is going to buy in to the work ethic on management....we have seen that already in cases. Martial has been here a long time now, he has had a lot of injuries, despite the ability he hasnt had many consistent spells of form.

IF we can even actually sell him for a decent fee, which is by no means a given at this point in time, I would rather we sign a second striker that is young and talented and can be moulded.

I still think with the inconsistencies there seem to be bith physically and mentally, that is the better option.
Yeah, I think that's a completely reasonable argument, and one I wouldn't be too unhappy with. I think the key thing for me is his fitness, if (and it's a big if) he could stay fit I would keep him, solely because even if we sign a top class centre forward we're still only an injury away from having to play someone else, and I'd probably take a fit Martial over a young striker still learning the game. I wouldn't be too bothered if ETH decides to cut his losses with him.

nakpodiareuben

They play the same position though, Bruno and McTominay don't, so you can definitely make a direct comparison, and Martial is light-years ahead of Wout

Martial is technically better than wout. But will never give this team what weghorst gives. Weghorst is so underrated.