Eriksen is too lightweight to play CM

Hammondo

A midfield of an injured Erikson on his own would probably still be more useful than 3 Sabitzers and a Mctominay, but at least now we're not too lightweight, or something.
In my mind the best CMs of all time were more lightweight than Erikson, so I'm very confused.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
In my mind the best CMs of all time were more lightweight than Erikson, so I'm very confused.
I just generally prefer midfielders who are either good at midfield stuff or at least do something remotely useful, to whatever it is Sabitzer and Mctominay are. Why does it matter how physical you are when you can't even get a kick of the ball against Fulham?

We can worry about whether Eriksen is lightweight or not when we actually have someone else to pick who doesn't make us look like a championship side.

He's one of only 2 midfielders we've had in about 6 years who actually do any effective midfieldding, and the other is Casemiro.

Anyone who thinks we'd have played that badly today with Eriksen in midfield I juat assume never actually watches our games

Hammondo

I just generally prefer midfielders who are either good at midfield stuff or at least do something remotely useful, to whatever it is Sabitzer and Mctominay are.

You can worry about whether Eriksen is lightweight or not when you actually have someone else you can pick who isn't obviously nowhere near as good as him.
Well we miss players who are good at the midfield stuff.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Well we miss players who are good at the midfield stuff.
Yes, of which Eriksen is one. If he plays today our forwards are in the game and it's a difficult away game instead of us getting thrashed in slow motion for 90 minutes.

We've played a number of games at the start of the season with him amd no Casemiro and have provided good service to our forwards and had some ability to, at least in spells, dictate the game. The same away at Arsenal.

EVERY game where both him and Casemiro have been missing we've had no effective midfieldat all, and that includes against one or two lower league sides.

I assume Sabitzer was brought in to try and address this but honestly I still don't even know what he supposedly does, never mind if he's any good at it or not. I would much rather gamble on the useful Fred turning up (also lightweight) than rely on a couple of 6ft blocks of cheese.

GueRed

He and Casemiro have transformed the team, of course they were going to be a huge miss.

Two quality players who are the heartbeat, the engine of the team.

without them we've looked shakier defensively and poorer on the ball.

Siorac

I assume Sabitzer was brought in to try and address this but honestly I still don't even know what he supposedly does, never mind if he's any good at it or not.
He was simply a panic loan. He was available, had played at a reasonably high level before, and we were in desperate need of bodies. Clearly, there's a reason he didn't get many opportunities at Bayern...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All those posts moaning how "lightweight" or how "weak" we look with him in there are hilarious in hindsight.
No-one can pass quite like him from the centre mid positions and him back will be a huge boost.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's got the most PL assists for the club this season and hasn't played for nearly 3 months.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I assume Sabitzer was brought in to try and address this but honestly I still don't even know what he supposedly does, never mind if he's any good at it or not. I would much rather gamble on the useful Fred turning up (also lightweight) than rely on a couple of 6ft blocks of cheese.
He and Weigy are sheer extra body options.
You really hope we've got some decent plans lined up in the summer.

Weigy has been exactly par of what you'd expect from a guy who was turning out for Burnley.

Son

Xavi was even more lightweight so was Pirlo. We could do with one of those lightweight mids people are scared of seemingly.

Sabitzer was also very good in the last game further up the field. I like his all round talent. Great player to watch but not on Eriksen’s level for productivity.

Malone_Post

He’s wonderful on the ball, but in games where we don’t dominate the ball he’s a complete passenger and a liability defensively. It’s like playing with 10 men at times. The midfield just gets completely overrun.

We need a starting midfielder who has the technique & passing ability of an Eriksen, but with the athleticism to go with it.

Irwin99

To be fair he doesn't look 100% fit to me (like a fair few of our team). Hopefully he'll score/assist in the second half but he clearly does better against certain teams. He's been great a lot of times this season but there are other games when you just feel we need a more aggressive player in there (Fred)