Eriksen out injured until April/May

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I want him back too but this could turn into another one of those "player gets better the longer he's injured" scenarios. Let's not forget that he started the 6-3 hiding against City and we've managed some excellent performances/results (against Barca) without him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I want him back too but this could turn into another one of those "player gets better the longer he's injured" scenarios. Let's not forget that he started the 6-3 hiding against City and we've managed some excellent performances/results (against Barca) without him.
I don't think it'll quite become the Darren Fletcher overhyping thing. But it also shouldn't be forgotten that Eriksen was going really well for us.
Actually having a couple of players in there with a range of passing has been an unreal step up over McFred.

mctrials23

Eriksen is quality but when he players we have pros and cons vs Fred/Sabitzer.

RopersReturn

Andy Carrol really did a number on him, that result against Liverpool might have been slightly different had he been available.

Chief123

We’ve also had a lot of excellent wins with him too. I’d much rather we had him than Fred in most games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Overall I don't think we are necessarily worse with Fred or Sabitzer starting. Said it before as well. They both have their pros and cons. Eriksen we pass the ball around a lot better but we aren't as good defensively or with our pressing (let's ignore the anomaly). I'd say our team will play at roughly the same level with any of the 3 starting. It just depends on what the game state is, who our opponent is IMO. Need a goal, obviously Eriksen. He provides loads with his composure on the ball, progressive passing, final ball, long passes, delivery etc. Closing out a game, or need to press and play on the counter, than Fred or Sabitzer for me. Seeing out a lead then toss in both Fred and Sabitzer in front of casemiro.

Chief123

The irony would be Eriksen has a long term injury and recovers from it, makes a return all while Martial is still out.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The big problem is that if he was fit we could rest him or Casemiro and still have one midfielder who plays on the turn and forces the game forwards, and Fred/Sabitzer next to them doing a bit more of the leg work. If we're missing one of Casemiro/Eriksen the other has to basically play and be on form every single game, because any game that isnt the case our midfield is likely second best to the opposition, and we can't bring our forwards into the game until we're only about 30 yards from goal.

Fernandes can play killer passes but he also tries to force things that aren't on a lot more when neither of those two are playing.

Last edited:

Todd

Has there been any news on his recovery? Maybe by some miracle he can be back next month...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Has there been any news on his recovery? Maybe by some miracle he can be back next month...
From today's presser:

As for Eriksen, he should return at some point this season, but clearly not at any point this month, while Donny van de Beek is out for the remainder of the campaign. Marcel Sabitzer must also be a doubt for the Southampton game after missing the 4-1 win over Real Betis.

"I think he [Eriksen] will play [again in 2022/23]," said Ten Hag. "Definitely. But I can't tell now an expectation, but I think his progress in the rehab is okay. It is going according to plan, so definitely we will see him. But not before the international break.

"Yes, he is [still part of the group]. But of course, his main focus is, in this moment, to get back as soon as possible because we need all the players."

Havak

Pokemon master
EtH being a bit coy with his updates, but he is convinced that Eriksen will play again this season. He said the recovery is going well.

He did say something a bit promising in that he "won't be back before the international break". That takes us into April (2nd against Newcastle, 5th against Brentford), so I think there's a sneaking feeling that he could be back early-to-mid April rather than the end of April or start of May.

With some luck, he might be able to play some part in 8+ games (if we are still in the Cups in April/May and getting to Semis or Finals).

While that is of course extremely positive news, he probably won't be at full fitness until near the very end of the season anyway. However, if we are in an FA Cup or Europa League Final, that becomes a much bigger boost.

Prodigy24

Another opportunity to say feck Andy Carroll and his entire existence.

Anyway, really hope he can come back soon and find his form again. While we've still been good even since he got injured, he's still missed on the pitch.

croadyman

My gut feeling is could make bench against Forest but Newcastle,Brentford and Everton games will come too soon for him.

RonaldoVII

“It is very positive. He healed very quickly. I don’t think he will be ready for Sunday [against Fulham], but he will be ready in April. He is on his way back, and we are happy about that. He is a class player that we need. I can’t wait for him to be back.”

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
International break will be helpful for once. Eriksen and Martial should hopefully be back for the final stretch of the season :smirk:

BorisManUtd

International break will be helpful for once. Eriksen and Martial should hopefully be back for the final stretch of the season :smirk:
Martial is never ready so I expect us here to put him in first 11 vs Newcastle only for him not to be even on the bench.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Nice. We get a bit of midfield depth just when we most need it with 3 PL games in 7 days.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Back after the international break is nice. For once this break coming at a great time for us.

RuudTom83

Be nice to have him back after the internationals.

The team does miss his control for sure…it’s been chaos-ball x2 the last few weeks.