Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
We've got a set budget and need at least 1 or 2 CMs and a RW. So yeah, it is either/or.
For January, perhaps.

However he is still a kid and has plenty of time to grow and develop, not to mention we will sign plenty of players during the course of his career at United (assuming he signs in January or in the summer).

When an opportunity to sign a really talented player comes along you take it.

We will fill in the gaps in midfield in the following transfer windows.

In my opinion you are taking a bit of a short term view whereas I am looking at the bigger picture and the next 5-10 years

spaceboyRSA

Surely everyone knows we wont fix everything in one or two windows (I think most acknowledge its a 4-6 window issue)? We will not fix every weakness in the next year, and whilst midfield is a problem, so is our attack play. So people who say its an "either/or" are probably right... except that the "or" will be dealt with at a later stage.

I see it like we're building a puzzle, it takes a while to get all the pieces, but as you head towards completion it speeds up as things fall into place.

lysglimt

Scout
For 85 million?? Does he look like Mbappe, Ronaldo level potential?
No one in football looks like Mbappe - but is Haaland at the same level Shearer and Kane was at that age ? Yeah or even ahead of them - but if Mbappe is the level we should look for, we will never find anyone.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
For January, perhaps.

However he is still a kid and has plenty of time to grow and develop, not to mention we will sign plenty of players during the course of his career at United (assuming he signs in January or in the summer).

When an opportunity to sign a really talented player comes along you take it.

We will fill in the gaps in midfield in the following transfer windows.

In my opinion you are taking a bit of a short term view whereas I am looking at the bigger picture and the next 5-10 years
Imo, those 2 comments contradict each other and highlight the kind of confused thinking going on at the minute about transfers. You either plan long-term and
try to fix the most pressing positions systematically, or you sign the best talent that comes along. The latter just seems incoherent, and will leave us with most of the same issues within the side. We've not signed a right winger since, what, Nani? And we haven't replaced Herrera or Fellaini. If you're telling me that we can sign Haaland in Jan and still go and buy the players we really need in the summer, then I'm fully on board. But I just don't see that happening. We'd all just be back on here bitching about how Lingard and/or Mata are playing on the right and bemoaning our lack of creativity in midfield. Spending big money on a relatively unproven striker when we've got major surgery required at the heart of the team just seems insane to me. I can't imagine I'd be persuaded otherwise.

gulli_G

Why does he have to look Like Mbappe, Ronaldo Level Potential, at this age. If he can get us 25/30 goals a season as well as assists then Jump at it now.
he must be already scoring more than Mbappe.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Imo, those 2 comments contradict each other and highlight the kind of confused thinking going on at the minute about transfers. You either plan long-term and
try to fix the most pressing positions systematically, or you sign the best talent that comes along. The latter just seems incoherent, and will leave us with most of the same issues within the side. We've not signed a right winger since, what, Nani? And we haven't replaced Herrera or Fellaini. If you're telling me that we can sign Haaland in Jan and still go and buy the players we really need in the summer, then I'm fully on board. But I just don't see that happening. We'd all just be back on here bitching about how Lingard and/or Mata are playing on the right and bemoaning our lack of creativity in midfield. Spending big money on a relatively unproven striker when we've got major surgery required at the heart of the team just seems insane to me. I can't imagine I'd be persuaded otherwise.
I understand where you are coming from, however I don’t think it has to necessarily be one approach over the other.

If the club believe that Haaland is a ‘generational’ (I don’t like that word but you get the point) talent that we simply cannot afford to miss out on, then that doesn’t mean or dictate how we will approach our transfer business in the future.

I believe the club will take a blended approach to transfers, this consists of signing the best up and coming talent like Haaland, whilst also filling in the gaps in our squad using a more methodical and sensible approach. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

So I think if we sign Haaland it will be the exception not the rule.

Also if signing Haaland in January means we will have to play the likes of Mata and Lingard until the end of the season then so be it. However I would expect us to address the issues in midfield in the summer.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
For 85 million?? Does he look like Mbappe, Ronaldo level potential?
If you're going by numbers, he's ahead of both Mbappe and Ronaldo at that age.

Ronaldo only scored 5 for us at age 19, 9 goals age 20. Pretty sure Haaland will be able to find the net 5 times.

But you know what, that comparison is just dumb, they are not the same player. Haaland can become a less acrobatic Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I mean, what exactly is so wrong about having a 1.91m tall striker thats got the pace of Daniel James and top level finishing? Those 7 Champions League goals.. anyone could do that, nothing worth consideration. Honestly, he's better than Lukaku at this point. The only thing they have in common is that they are tall.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We are not at the stage to be thinking about competition for places. We should be thinking of building a great first 11. Then we'll look to the squad, we aren't exactly working with a bottomless pit.
But our squad is exactly the issue, our depth has absolutely fecked us so far this season. Almost 0 quality depth in midfield, Matic being our only real midfield back up we have, 0 quality depth in attack, which we saw by how badly we struggled without Martial and how overplayed Rashford's been, and aside from Williams, who's just a kid, we don't have a decent back up full back.
he must be already scoring more than Mbappe.
In all comps this season Mbappe has 9 in 11 games and Haland has 26 in 18.

Shimo

How much will he cost when he bags 50+ for RBS this season and 40+ for Leipzig next season and if Norway qualifies for the EURO Champs in the summer? Would we have a chance of getting him then? It’s a no brainer in my book if it is possible in Jan.
Supposedly has a 30m Euro release clause in the summer. For us to pay a ridiculous sum in January would be

1) Between now and January, Martial is injured or just shows a complete inconsistency to be our main striker to even give us a chance at a decent season.
2) That we know that other big clubs are in for him and he'd chose them over us. In the PL, none of the big clubs are going to be in for him at those prices and his dad seems to be indicating that Erling wants to play in the PL. So don't think we will go gung ho on that account.

Personally, I think Halaand only comes if Ole is thinking of getting rid of Martial. There is no way one of the other plays as backup. We do need squad depth but, 2 young very expensive strikers while we are in the middle of a rebuild doesn't make sense. Both need to be playing to realize their ultimate potential. It will be the same exact thing as when Sanchez was brought in, manager will have to play the new player for him to be able to acclimate and to justify that kind of outlay.

Think if anything in January, it will be a striker that can play backup to either Martial or Rashford and come on as a sub to change things around. Even long term, I think we'll end up with just 1 expensive potentially great main striker while looking to have a somewhat reliable though not too flashy backup with the potential of Greenwood then coming in and taking that spot in few years time.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I understand where you are coming from, however I don’t think it has to necessarily be one approach over the other.

If the club believe that Haaland is a ‘generational’ (I don’t like that word but you get the point) talent that we simply cannot afford to miss out on, then that doesn’t mean or dictate how we will approach our transfer business in the future.

I believe the club will take a blended approach to transfers, this consists of signing the best up and coming talent like Haaland, whilst also filling in the gaps in our squad using a more methodical and sensible approach. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

So I think if we sign Haaland it will be the exception not the rule.

Also if signing Haaland in January means we will have to play the likes of Mata and Lingard until the end of the season then so be it. However I would expect us to address the issues in midfield in the summer.
I'm not convinced we have a separate pot for exceptional signings. If that is the case, and signing Haaland would have a negligible impact upon the deals we really need to do in the summer, then I'm all in. We'll see how it pans out. A lot could happen between now and next season.

ArjenIsM3

Supposedly has a 30m Euro release clause in the summer. For us to pay a ridiculous sum in January would be

1) Between now and January, Martial is injured or just shows a complete inconsistency to be our main striker to even give us a chance at a decent season.
2) That we know that other big clubs are in for him and he'd chose them over us. In the PL, none of the big clubs are going to be in for him at those prices and his dad seems to be indicating that Erling wants to play in the PL. So don't think we will go gung ho on that account.

Personally, I think Halaand only comes if Ole is thinking of getting rid of Martial. There is no way one of the other plays as backup. We do need squad depth but, 2 young very expensive strikers while we are in the middle of a rebuild doesn't make sense. Both need to be playing to realize their ultimate potential. It will be the same exact thing as when Sanchez was brought in, manager will have to play the new player for him to be able to acclimate and to justify that kind of outlay.

Think if anything in January, it will be a striker that can play backup to either Martial or Rashford and come on as a sub to change things around. Even long term, I think we'll end up with just 1 expensive potentially great main striker while looking to have a somewhat reliable though not too flashy backup with the potential of Greenwood then coming in and taking that spot in few years time.
We're light on strikers and could easily play a 2 striker system that could accommodate Martial and Haland:

Martial-Haland
Rashford-McTominay-Fred-James
Williams-Maguire-Lindelof-AWB

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm confused - if we buy him for the summer, there is still every possibility that Ole doesn't make it to next season at all.

I want to see him under Ole & if he actually has a lower release clause at the end of the season then it makes sense for the club to possibly rake a bit of extra money in January doesn't it?

Bebestation

We're light on strikers and could easily play a 2 striker system that could accommodate Martial and Haland:

Martial-Haland
Greenwood & Haaland are left footed strikers as well whilst Martial & Rashford are right footed. We have also played 352 against some of the higher teams we need to play more conservatively against.

Shimo

Martial-Haland
That would be a possible line up for a game here or there but, I very much doubt it's going to be the norm long term. No way if we are looking to play and win at the highest levels. And if that is the case, there has to be a first choice striker in a preferred formation.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm confused - if we buy him for the summer, there is still every possibility that Ole doesn't make it to next season at all.

I want to see him under Ole & if he actually has a lower release clause at the end of the season then it makes sense for the club to possibly rake a bit of extra money in January doesn't it?
Looks complicated isn't it ? ...but the officials of this club made that all for themselves and supporters, really.

If football is somehow still a priority at this club, we should push for someone in January to try and secure a spot for Champions League that would also help getting more funds from participation in biggest competition... but you just know we might pull another Dybala or Eriksen and sign zero.

Bebestation

Looks complicated isn't it ? ...but the officials of this club made that all for themselves and supporters, really.

If football is somehow still a priority at this club, we should push for someone in January to try and secure a spot for Champions League that would also help getting more funds from participation in biggest competition... but you just know we might pull another Dybala or Eriksen and sign zero.
Yep. Buying Haaland for summer is worrying me because a new manager can come in and completely change the game like Jose wanted Perisic & Willians to get the best out of a striker like Lukaku whilst completely bypassing Rashford & Martial aswell.

He comes in January & we can see how Ole wants blend all his current players together & who exactly fits and doesn't from his point of view - not just a manger who walks in to a new job with pressure to instantly succeed.

spaceboyRSA

Why does he have to look Like Mbappe, Ronaldo Level Potential, at this age. If he can get us 25/30 goals a season as well as assists then Jump at it now.
Also, Mbappe is worth far far more than the 85 million being bandied about. 85 m gets Mbappes left leg.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yep. Buying Haaland for summer is worrying me because a new manager can come in and completely change the game like Jose wanted Perisic & Willians to get the best out of a striker like Lukaku whilst completely bypassing Rashford & Martial aswell.

He comes in January & we can see how Ole wants blend all his current players together & who exactly fits and doesn't from his point of view - not just a manger who walks in to a new job with pressure to instantly succeed.
Good news is that Haaland still relatively young and can be adjusted to probably more than one system, but his father can depend the final decision on Ole staying or not.

From what Woodward said not so long ago, Ole is here to stay, but honestly Woodward is not a football person and he can change his stance if the numbers will show something differently.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Would be very cool (as a norwegian) if you purchased Haaland, Ødegaard and Berge :) 1 goalgetter, 1 chance creator and a box to box/DM midfielder. Would fit perfectly with what you need right now and would be players that fit the player profile Manchester United want.

back to topic : I hope you get Haaland but I can not see him leaving RB Salzburg in January so you propably need another striker first. And I really think midfielders are much much more in need.

BarstoolProphet

Would be very cool (as a norwegian) if you purchased Haaland, Ødegaard and Berge :) 1 goalgetter, 1 chance creator and a box to box/DM midfielder. Would fit perfectly with what you need right now and would be players that fit the player profile Manchester United want.

back to topic : I hope you get Haaland but I can not see him leaving RB Salzburg in January so you propably need another striker first. And I really think midfielders are much much more in need.
Would actually be three very exciting signings for every team in the world. Which probably is the first time you could say that when it comes to Norwegian players.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Unless they move to the knockout stages of the CL, come January, he won't be in Austria anymore. Playing there is meaningless if you get the chance to be in England or Spain. He'll cost 60. He can't just 'go' to Leipzig. They can't just transfer his rights to a co-owned team. That's not legal. Either loan or pay the money.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Surprised to see we haven't been linked with Berge at all, to be honest.

SoCross

Reminds me a bit of Ruud actually, off the crappy YouTube video I just watched, especially in the box.

If Ole wants him, we should go for him, simple as that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martial can also play on the left, so really we are then in a position where we have three players (Haaland, Martial and Rashford) competing for two spots. That's fine. Two start, one comes off the bench. One gets injured we still have two good to play.

Obviously there is James as well, but at the moment he's looking likely to stay predominately on the right.

DanClancy

Not seen this mentioned before but if true they won't be looking for huge money in January.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’ve been top two in defence for 4 years now. So what are you talking about? Going back to LVG days.
We looked shaky as feck, anyone could see that. He's added a calmness that wasn't there before.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Surprised to see we haven't been linked with Berge at all, to be honest.
I don't get that either. He has got a minimal hype going right now and a transfer from his current club should be pretty cheap in this market. Would represent great value for money that's for sure because he has a lot of the attributes we're looking for in a DM, and he has much more physicality than someone like Garner. He is Fellaini size, and very clever on the ball, well rounded player. Quick for his size too. Don't think he'll reach world class levels honestly but I can absolutely see him have a highly functional role in a top team for years. For such a young player in his position his level of consistency and understanding of his role is really impressive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We looked shaky as feck, anyone could see that. He's added a calmness that wasn't there before.
We only were poor defensively for one season, where the entire team was shite (last year). In the 3 years prior to that we conceded one of the fewest goals of any team over the course of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.