Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

Exactly. We need to bring in a striker in January who has the potential to get 10-15 goals for the rest of the season if we want to push back into the CL positions. Ole's win percentage with and without Martial shows our lack of depth. Haaland could eventually be world class but might not settle into the team until he has a pre-season under his belt.

We have enough potential in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood but we need someone with a proven record of consistent seasons to get us through this season.
Giroud and Mandzukic who have a grand total of 1 goal between them this season have the potential to get 15 in the second half of the season but Haaland who has 22 doesn't. Right, got it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You don't have to see a player in the CL to see whether he's got the technical qualities.
No thats true, but id argue that playing the game he does in the Austrian league and thinking that will directly translate to a league where the opposition is far more agressive, generally faster, everything moves faster, is not always a surething. That why I prefer to look at what he does to actual elite opposition before passing judgement. But so far so good

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I’m sorry but you can’t just have one foot as a striker and number 9 at the top club, especially in EPL. He doesn’t leave opponents guessing and would be figured by the defenders pretty quickly around here imo as he always turns to his left with his back to the goal in this video. You can have a preference but not to this extent and not a single quality finish with his right foot is rather concerning. We would be mad to pay 60m for this very young lad at this stage.
Another hipster take on how football works just like the ones i encountered in the Demiral thread.

Gandalf

We should definitely be in on this, for those saying he will interfere with Martial's progress we need to keep in mind that we looked toothless in attack when Tony was out because there was no backup. We need an alternative and if Tony doesn't like it he needs to put his big boy pants on and grow up.

I get the notion that we need something now and it seems logical to me to look into agreeing a permanent deal for Haaland for the summer and then see if we can't get Mandzukic on a 6 month loan in January.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m sorry but you can’t just have one foot as a striker and number 9 at the top club, especially in EPL. He doesn’t leave opponents guessing and would be figured by the defenders pretty quickly around here imo as he always turns to his left with his back to the goal in this video. You can have a preference but not to this extent and not a single quality finish with his right foot is rather concerning. We would be mad to pay 60m for this very young lad at this stage.
Arjen Robben made a career of literally being a 1 trick pony.

Did that ever stop him?

Seriously though you act like that's all he does, which really isn't true. If defending was as easy as you claim nobody would ever score.

GBBQ

Who is this forward who will score 10-15 goals from January until the end of the season who is capable of joining in January for a reasonable fee? Because thats not Giroud or Mandzukic, either of them would add 5 goals tops.

Add Haaland in the summer for 60 mil, its a no brainer for me. The top 4 might still be too far away even if we added a seasoned striker in winter transfer window.
Giroud and Mandzukic who have a grand total of 1 goal between them this season have the potential to get 15 in the second half of the season but Haaland who has 22 doesn't. Right, got it.
I didn't say Mandzukic or Giroud. I was agreeing in general that Haaland wasn't the right profile of striker for our short term issues rather than the proposed solutions. I even said Haaland may well become world class so its not that I don't rate him, I just think we need an established striker who is proven to get that level of goals.

Nick7

Another hipster take on how football works just like the ones i encountered in the Demiral thread.
It’s weird that none of the teams he’s scored against in the champions league couldn’t figure out what that guy did in an 8 minute YouTube video.

RedCurry

Some players are unable to step up the league levels and while there's no guarantees, Haaland's skill set should help him adapt to PL.

He's physical, with decent speed and has a good finish on him. He also is very hardworking. Generally speaking, those skills are quite independent of the league you are playing in.

Nick7

I didn't say Mandzukic or Giroud. I was agreeing in general that Haaland wasn't the right profile of striker for our short term issues rather than the proposed solutions. I even said Haaland may well become world class so its not that I don't rate him, I just think we need an established striker who is proven to get that level of goals.
What striker of the “right profile” is available and in good form?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It’s weird that none of the teams he’s scored against in the champions league couldn’t figure out what that guy did in an 8 minute YouTube video.
Clearly they need the guidance of a caftard on the internet to work it out. He should go into the consulting business imo.

Rajma

Arjen Robben made a career of literally being a 1 trick pony.

Did that ever stop him?

Seriously though you act like that's all he does, which really isn't true. If defending was as easy as you claim nobody would ever score.
Robben did not play as a number 9 though and he had the most ridiculous technical abilities and close control to compensate probably only bettered by Messi. You think of the best number 9 in recent times...Aguero, RVP, Suarez, Lewa, Benzema all had multiple dimensions and where comfortable with both feet.

PoTMS

Interesting. Leeds fan but follows United on Twitter. He's followed us for a while as well.

GBBQ

What striker of the “right profile” is available and in good form?
That's for the scouts to identify but there's surely players out there with longer resumes in a tougher league than Haaland who can be purchased at the right price.

PoTMS

And anyone concerned about the pricetag - £60m means nothing to me anymore. We sold Lukaku for £80m and did absolutely nothing with it.

Rajma

And anyone concerned about the pricetag - £60m means nothing to me anymore. We sold Lukaku for £80m and did absolutely nothing with it.
I don’t think anyone is concerned with the money per say but rather the fact itself that bad expensive signing can set us back for few years again. We absolutely must to make near perfect purchases from now on if you’re looking to not fall back for good.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He has all the tools necessary to become a world class striker, tall, quick, two footed, has a knack of being in the right place at the right time, very confident. One poster said he always turns the same way when he has his back to the goal, I believe with coaching and practice he would learn to turn either way. He is good with both feet so shouldn't be s major problem. Out of all the players we've been linked with over the past 6 months or so, he is the only one who I feel could go right to the very top. Personally I think it is worth a punt at 60 million euros.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For a big lad he's got very good technical skill. Good vision and more importantly (which is rare for a player his age) he seems to make good decisions. He's not the finished article by any means, but his quality is very obvious. He's a beast, an explosive beast. Granted i'm basing this on his Champions League displays but i've watched every one and he's been excellent. I've been watching his career since his Molde days (due to Soccermanager).
Sounds like a very complete player.

fps

That’s a lot of money for a basically unhatched egg.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Same. Completely desensitized to it now. We're Man Utd, rich as feck. Just get all the talent.

Cantonagotmehere

Get this guy and creative midfielder. Is that too much to dream for January? (i guess, a pre-deal for Haaland coming next season would be OK as well)

Son

From what I've seen of this guy whatever it takes just buy him. Looks a potential world class striker who 'could' already be someone resembling a finished product at such a young age.

We are in no position to pass up on this quality of player. I'd be incredibly excited if he joined. He'd obviously score plenty of goals for us due to his speed, size and ability alone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This thread reminds me of Harry Kane when he was young.

People said he was one dimensional, slow, had a lucky season etc.

Sometimes people just have it, and Haaland seems a natural born goalscorer. Combine that with his pace, determination and work ethic, he could easily end up at the Diego Costa level, or even better. It's worth taking that risk.

tenpoless

I'll even give 10% more for him. If We're going to make our strategy long term and using young players as the core, sign him. The older strikers that are gettable aren't that much better than him and the gap isn't that huge. This is a gamble I'll take any day.

romufc

Which transfer is without risk? This is a risk we definitely should take. I’ve seen him plenty by the way, the first game I saw he scored 4 for Molde vs Brann, who at the time hadn’t lost a game through the first half of the season and was on course for the record for the least goals against. He scored a hattrick within 15 mins and scored a penalty for his fourth. He was 17 at the time.
So we should spend £60m on a19 year old striker when we have a 24 year old and 18 year old coming through? Shall we sell Greenwood without giving him a chance?

I am not saying he is not a good player but not what we need right now, adding more kids to a inexperienced forward line is not going to help anyone.

Schneckerl

So we should spend £60m on a19 year old striker when we have a 24 year old and 18 year old coming through? Shall we sell Greenwood without giving him a chance?
The option to have two teenage striker on the squad doesn't exist?

romufc

2 teenage strikers and 1 main striker when we play 1 striker up front~?

How many games do you think a £60m 18 year old will sit on the bench?

How many games will a 18 year old talent sit on the bench?

Maybe if you answer that, then the options exist.

OleGunnar20

Makes so much sense. As much as I like the look of Martial up top, we can't rely on him to do it alone.

Looks a potential world beater this season. I'd love it if we took the risk.

El-Manos

Austrian press today (Krone - biggest newspaper here) says that a contract is already signed with us.
Representatives from RB Salzburg have of course denied but only half-heartedly so maybe there is some truth in it.
This newspaper and some of the journalists are usually pretty close to Mateschitz and everything related to RB.
Works for me:D

izec

How did he end up being Leeds fan as a Norwegian? I get it if you support a bigger club, but Leeds have been pretty bad in his lifetime

Fosu-Mens

Not when you are missing x number of midfielders, a right winger, a centre back and a left back.

We have 2 decent options up front in Martial and Rashford, and Greenwood as a talented player.

It is not like he would improve our starting 11 if we bought him this January. And no point in buying a poacher when you are not creating chances. If we created a number of chances but unable to convert, then it might be an option.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I think we need some sort of perspective on this. It's all well and good signing youth but not when we've got plenty of our own. If he was going for 10-15m then I'd say yeah, buy him and send him out on loan if needed but paying that sort of money he'd be expected to come in and start scoring goals right away. Can't think of any 19 or 20 or 21 year olds capable of doing that. Can you?

Young players need top talent around them to take their game to the next level. Who is he going to learn from? Rashford? Martial? Greenwood? We need seasoned pros before fielding an U23 team in the PL. Looking through other threads If people had their way we'd be playing.

_________________Kovar____________

_AWB___Axel___Maquire__Williams_

__________McT___Garner___________

_Rashford___Greenwood_____Martial_

____________Haaland_____________

With the substitutes being Chong, Gomes, Levitt and James

And somehow I don't think that'll work.

Schneckerl

2 teenage strikers and 1 main striker when we play 1 striker up front~?
Yes, that's what most squads look like. The main striker is capable of playing other positions too.

How many games do you think a £60m 18 year old will sit on the bench?

How many games will a 18 year old talent sit on the bench?
Not many if he lives up to his potential.

Hephaestus

How did he end up being Leeds fan as a Norwegian? I get it if you support a bigger club, but Leeds have been pretty bad in his lifetime
He was born in Leeds, his Dad played for them for a few years and I'm guessing they are the team his Dad enjoyed playing for most. Just be glad he didn't bring him up as a City fan...

romufc

Yes, that's what most squads look like. The main striker is capable of playing other positions too.

Not many if he lives up to his potential.
So we shouldn't sign another RW becauase Martial can play RW and Rashford LW?

Yes lets play players out of position rather than signing players for their position.

hungrywing

Austrian press today (Krone - biggest newspaper here) says that a contract is already signed with us.
Representatives from RB Salzburg have of course denied but only half-heartedly so maybe there is some truth in it.
This newspaper and some of the journalists are usually pretty close to Mateschitz and everything related to RB.
Is it this article?

Schneckerl

So we shouldn't sign another RW becauase Martial can play RW and Rashford LW?
Where did I say that? Please stop making stuff up.

Not when you are missing x number of midfielders, a right winger, a centre back and a left back.
Yeah, true.
Getting Haaland isn't mutally exclusive with signing a midfielder, RW, CB, LB....

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I feel he may be a risk? Jovic had a great season last and is struggling at Real.

Personally, I would like to see how Martial fairs and add depth rather than another 19 year old to the line up.

The money would be better spent on a RW and a backup experienced striker.
Yes sure there is a risk in it, but do you think many hottest young forwards in Europe are willing to choose us over other top European clubs, and sign for low fee? Maybe we can get another James for cheap, but its not that easy. Once we have a chance to sign someone with real talents, and the price is affordable, why not?
And if Martial is out injured again, our season is totally fecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.